Emissions stuff, help me figure out this (and you get to rant at California, too)

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
Warning, this is only mildly Moto related in that it deals with regulation of two strokes.

So, thieves lifted all of our yard equipment, including our big Honda 4 stroke weed eater (on 2 acres). Bummer, but no bike stuff was gone.

You cannot buy two stroke lawn equipment in CA . . . CARB (air resources board . . . thank goodness LA air is cleaner than in the 70's and we don't have sawmills burning saw dust all summer in the north state, but CARB now are targeting easy pickings not big problems IMO).

Anyway . . . so I go the shop (a local dealer, first thing I notice coming in is two VP cans . . . this is hopeful). No Hondas, "too heavy, this Sthil is nice and light. . . . But you have to mix oil and gas." Now I perplexed; "but. . . " "Oh, it's four stroke, it's got the little valves and the torque."

So, they must deal with Joe Suburb all the time because he tells me that they have premixed containers if I am not comfortable mixing the oil and gas myself. And then he gives me the choice of a quart of VP or six pack of Stihl two stroke oil. I'm like, nah, bro, I don't need VP by the quart for my weed whacker (what a profit center).

But, I'm still trying to figure why it is that I can buy a four stroke that needs premix, using any two stroke premix, but I can't buy a two stroke than needs premix because inefficient burning of premix generates more emissions all other things being equal. That's what I understand the logic to be. I expect this Sthil burns fuel more efficiently than my old smoker, and maybe even really well on VP! But one dude getting his mix wrong would blow that out if this is your emissions control strategy. Maybe I'm missing something.

|
Chippy
5/21/2021 4:44pm
What I've noticed about CA, living here my whole life: If it purposefully doesn't make sense and takes away from something while giving someone a cushy gov't job, it fits right in apparently...

The red green sticker thing with riding dirtbikes in offroad public parks allllllllll while street bikes go 'un-smogged' boggles my mind STILL.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
5/21/2021 5:01pm
The premix isnt the main issue. One of the big emission challenges on 2 strokes is short circuiting which is a symptom of the intake and exhaust ports being open at the same time. 4 strokes dont have this issue and as such get a much more controled and complete burn.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/21/2021 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2021 5:46pm
WoodsRacer wrote:
The premix isnt the main issue. One of the big emission challenges on 2 strokes is short circuiting which is a symptom of the intake and...
The premix isnt the main issue. One of the big emission challenges on 2 strokes is short circuiting which is a symptom of the intake and exhaust ports being open at the same time. 4 strokes dont have this issue and as such get a much more controled and complete burn.
Thank you! Helpful, I did not know that and it makes sense now.

The Shop

Bruce372
5/21/2021 6:17pm
Don't get me started on the CARB low emissions gas cans that pout half your gas on the ground!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/21/2021 6:35pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Don't get me started on the CARB low emissions gas cans that pout half your gas on the ground!
This was going to be my rant. How do you make absolutely certain that you WILL spill gasoline? Get some CARB engineers to design a spill-proof gas can and outlaw the ones which are safer and more efficient. Give those guys a raise, too!
Bruce372
5/21/2021 6:45pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Falcon wrote:
This was going to be my rant. How do you make absolutely certain that you WILL spill gasoline? Get some CARB engineers to design a spill-proof...
This was going to be my rant. How do you make absolutely certain that you WILL spill gasoline? Get some CARB engineers to design a spill-proof gas can and outlaw the ones which are safer and more efficient. Give those guys a raise, too!
It's amazing how bad them things are....they are actually dangerous!
Brent
5/21/2021 6:55pm
Warning, this is only mildly Moto related in that it deals with regulation of two strokes. So, thieves lifted all of our yard equipment, including our...
Warning, this is only mildly Moto related in that it deals with regulation of two strokes.

So, thieves lifted all of our yard equipment, including our big Honda 4 stroke weed eater (on 2 acres). Bummer, but no bike stuff was gone.

You cannot buy two stroke lawn equipment in CA . . . CARB (air resources board . . . thank goodness LA air is cleaner than in the 70's and we don't have sawmills burning saw dust all summer in the north state, but CARB now are targeting easy pickings not big problems IMO).

Anyway . . . so I go the shop (a local dealer, first thing I notice coming in is two VP cans . . . this is hopeful). No Hondas, "too heavy, this Sthil is nice and light. . . . But you have to mix oil and gas." Now I perplexed; "but. . . " "Oh, it's four stroke, it's got the little valves and the torque."

So, they must deal with Joe Suburb all the time because he tells me that they have premixed containers if I am not comfortable mixing the oil and gas myself. And then he gives me the choice of a quart of VP or six pack of Stihl two stroke oil. I'm like, nah, bro, I don't need VP by the quart for my weed whacker (what a profit center).

But, I'm still trying to figure why it is that I can buy a four stroke that needs premix, using any two stroke premix, but I can't buy a two stroke than needs premix because inefficient burning of premix generates more emissions all other things being equal. That's what I understand the logic to be. I expect this Sthil burns fuel more efficiently than my old smoker, and maybe even really well on VP! But one dude getting his mix wrong would blow that out if this is your emissions control strategy. Maybe I'm missing something.

I had to fill out an application form to purchase VP race fuel last week at my local dealer.

They wanted VIN's, year, make, and model on the motorcycles the race fuel was going to be used in before they would sell me the fuel. - luckily like the Boy Scout I am, I had the VIN to all my vehicles stored in my iPhone contacts.

Keep in mind this is only for 15 gallons of fuel.

...now for some reason, they said that watercraft were exempt from the rule - how does that make sense?

Dealer told me they could be fined $10,000.00 per occurrence if they didn't have VIN's in case CARB did an audit.

This stuff is low hanging fruit for aspirational pols who are looking to score points in the public eye without making a real difference.

Little legal or public resistance from manufacturers who don't want to be labeled as "POLLUTERS" in the media.

I was born and raised in California and I love my state, but this is what happens with one political party gets total control for long periods of time. There needs to be BALANCE.

Extremism going either way is not good for the state or its citizens.

Brent
5/21/2021 7:00pm
Chippy wrote:
What I've noticed about CA, living here my whole life: If it purposefully doesn't make sense and takes away from something while giving someone a cushy...
What I've noticed about CA, living here my whole life: If it purposefully doesn't make sense and takes away from something while giving someone a cushy gov't job, it fits right in apparently...

The red green sticker thing with riding dirtbikes in offroad public parks allllllllll while street bikes go 'un-smogged' boggles my mind STILL.
...and how many times has state government raided said sticker fund to pay for other projects? Twice that I remember by governors from both parties.

They know they can do it because they won't get any push back from off road groups.

the purpose of the sticker fund was to expand off road vehicle parks in the state - how many have opened or expanded in the last 25 years?

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/21/2021 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2021 7:10pm
Brent wrote:
I had to fill out an application form to purchase VP race fuel last week at my local dealer. They wanted VIN's, year, make, and model...
I had to fill out an application form to purchase VP race fuel last week at my local dealer.

They wanted VIN's, year, make, and model on the motorcycles the race fuel was going to be used in before they would sell me the fuel. - luckily like the Boy Scout I am, I had the VIN to all my vehicles stored in my iPhone contacts.

...now for some reason, they said that watercraft were exempt from the rule - how does that make sense?

Dealer told me they could be fined $10,000.00 per occurrence if they didn't have VIN's in case CARB did an audit.

This stuff is low hanging fruit for aspirational pols who are looking to score points in the public eye without making a real difference.

Little legal or public resistance from manufacturers who don't want to be labeled as "POLLUTERS" in the media.

I was born and raised in California and I love my state, but this is what happens with one political party gets total control for long periods of time. There needs to be BALANCE.

I agree with all of this, especially the low level pol stuff, other than this also happened when there was more republican power, and we are no less just a chip to play for them, and as you point out, it ain't a big chip.
Xeno
5/21/2021 7:58pm
So you can’t buy 2-stroke yard equipment, but you can buy an electric blower and spew dust, pollen, leaves, brake dust, cement powder, rat poison and plastic bags all over the neighborhood for everyone to breathe.

Awesome. Now your driveway is “clean”.

Good job, libtards! What would we do without you going after polluters? Dizzy
captmoto
5/21/2021 8:11pm
Warning, this is only mildly Moto related in that it deals with regulation of two strokes. So, thieves lifted all of our yard equipment, including our...

Brent wrote:
I had to fill out an application form to purchase VP race fuel last week at my local dealer. They wanted VIN's, year, make, and model...

Odd. I bought from Downs Energy in Corona and had to do a form but only make and model, events or location. The staff didn't give a shit. I could of said I was going to the moon. It's an annual thing.
Bruce372
5/21/2021 8:24pm
My new truck is more than twice as efficient mpg as my old one, yet costs twice as much to register. Shoulda just kept cruising in my old clunker V8 with clapped out catalysts
moto67e
Fantasy
2734th
5/21/2021 9:00pm

Brent wrote:

captmoto wrote:
Odd. I bought from Downs Energy in Corona and had to do a form but only make and model, events or location. The staff didn't give...
Odd. I bought from Downs Energy in Corona and had to do a form but only make and model, events or location. The staff didn't give a shit. I could of said I was going to the moon. It's an annual thing.
I think it depends on which race gas you buy. They need the info for some fuels, but I don't think they do for fuels like T4.

Post a reply to: Emissions stuff, help me figure out this (and you get to rant at California, too)

The Latest