Emig's intensity comment...

Huckster
6/12/2012 6:57am
TDeath21 wrote:
By whose standards is he underperforming? He's right where I expected. Leading races and battling for race wins. Last year, I think Roczen was the best...
By whose standards is he underperforming? He's right where I expected. Leading races and battling for race wins. Last year, I think Roczen was the best 250 rider in the world. This year, he's one of the top four. Barcia and Tomac have stepped it up big time. Baggett is a perfect marker of the way Tomac, Barcia, and Roczen being there have stepped up the competition. Last year, Baggett would run down Wilson and Rattray pretty regularly. This year, he's having a much tougher time doing that to Roczen, Barcia, and Tomac. Just sit back and watch these four kids give us a hell of a show.
Regularly? Bagget may have ran down Wilson on a few occaisions but Wilson pretty much owned him last year . If Wilson was healthy he would be right in the mix as would Rattray. Can you imagine that every weekend?
TDeath21
6/12/2012 7:05am
TDeath21 wrote:
By whose standards is he underperforming? He's right where I expected. Leading races and battling for race wins. Last year, I think Roczen was the best...
By whose standards is he underperforming? He's right where I expected. Leading races and battling for race wins. Last year, I think Roczen was the best 250 rider in the world. This year, he's one of the top four. Barcia and Tomac have stepped it up big time. Baggett is a perfect marker of the way Tomac, Barcia, and Roczen being there have stepped up the competition. Last year, Baggett would run down Wilson and Rattray pretty regularly. This year, he's having a much tougher time doing that to Roczen, Barcia, and Tomac. Just sit back and watch these four kids give us a hell of a show.
"This year, he's having a much tougher time doing that to Roczen, Barcia, and Tomac. " I don't think so, he has done it. Previously he...
"This year, he's having a much tougher time doing that to Roczen, Barcia, and Tomac. "

I don't think so, he has done it. Previously he would crash be inconsistent. This year he is much more consistent and he is still first in points.

"By whose standards is he underperforming? "

By Jeff's standards. He said he expected he would do better during the announcment, he said that the other three were riding with greater intensity that he did not see in either world champ. If you are truthful with yourself, most people here expected him to do better than he has, at least have one win a quarter of the way into the outdoors. Personally I thought he would have troubles and that he was top 5 at best because I don't thing the GP riders are in the same league as the Americans (and both world champs are proving that as we watch), but others set expectations much higher and he hasn't performed.
Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series, and the top GP rider is usually the only one that can contend for race wins in the US. Roczen is that guy. Over there he was the best. Here, he's one of the best. He's right where I expected. He went to a bigger pond and he's proving he's got what it takes to win a championship here. It should be fun to watch.
TDeath21
6/12/2012 7:10am
TDeath21 wrote:
Huckster wrote:
Regularly? Bagget may have ran down Wilson on a few occaisions but Wilson pretty much owned him last year . If Wilson was healthy he would...
Regularly? Bagget may have ran down Wilson on a few occaisions but Wilson pretty much owned him last year . If Wilson was healthy he would be right in the mix as would Rattray. Can you imagine that every weekend?
So far, we only have four rounds to go by. The three I'm looking at the hardest are High Point, Hangtown, and Lakewood. He walked away from Wilson and Rattray at those tracks, and has had a much tougher time this year at those same tracks. You're right though, in the later rounds Wilson had him covered. That should actually be more alarming if you're a Baggett fan. We will see though. Like I said, it's a lot of fun to watch.
jamma10
6/12/2012 7:18am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2012 7:28am
"This year, he's having a much tougher time doing that to Roczen, Barcia, and Tomac. " I don't think so, he has done it. Previously he...
"This year, he's having a much tougher time doing that to Roczen, Barcia, and Tomac. "

I don't think so, he has done it. Previously he would crash be inconsistent. This year he is much more consistent and he is still first in points.

By Jeff's standards. He said he expected he would do better during the announcment, he said that the other three were riding with greater intensity that he did not see in either world champ. If you are truthful with yourself, most people here expected him to do better than he has, at least have one win a quarter of the way into the outdoors. Personally I thought he would have troubles and that he was top 5 at best because I don't thing the GP riders are in the same league as the Americans (and both world champs are proving that as we watch), but others set expectations much higher and he hasn't performed.
Musquin is off the pace at the moment true, but how can you say Roczen is not in the same league as "the Americans" when he's come a hair's breadth away from winning two or three moto's and has so far finished on the podium at every single round?

I wonder how Baggett, Tomac or Barcia would have faired if either one of them had come alone to race the GP's in 2009 when they were 16/17? You're so callous towards Roczen its hilarious. So far he has proven he has what it takes to win in Europe, win his class at multiple MXdNs, have great success in Supercross (you can talk his 2nd place down all you want but his first full season was anything but a failure when he lost to the favourite & veteran of the class) and be right at the sharp end of the US Outdoor Nationals competing for wins. I dont see many other riders doing what he has done at such a young age, yet you still like to talk him down as inferior. Its so... I dont know, sad really. Smile

The Shop

carlosmacho
6/12/2012 7:20am
TDeath21 wrote:
Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series, and the top GP rider is usually the only...
Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series, and the top GP rider is usually the only one that can contend for race wins in the US. Roczen is that guy. Over there he was the best. Here, he's one of the best. He's right where I expected. He went to a bigger pond and he's proving he's got what it takes to win a championship here. It should be fun to watch.
And I think it is great, I am glad he is here because it makes the racing better, but I personally think if there was less pressure and expectations, I think he would do better. Everyone talks about how young he is, I think there is a lot of pressure to perform. But I think eventually he will be able to handle it and he has a lot of talent. He sure makes racing that much more exciting.
carlosmacho
6/12/2012 7:30am
jamma10 wrote:
Musquin is off the pace at the moment true, but how can you say Roczen is not in the same league as "the Americans" when he's...
Musquin is off the pace at the moment true, but how can you say Roczen is not in the same league as "the Americans" when he's come a hair's breadth away from winning two or three moto's and has so far finished on the podium at every single round?

I wonder how Baggett, Tomac or Barcia would have faired if either one of them had come alone to race the GP's in 2009 when they were 16/17? You're so callous towards Roczen its hilarious. So far he has proven he has what it takes to win in Europe, win his class at multiple MXdNs, have great success in Supercross (you can talk his 2nd place down all you want but his first full season was anything but a failure when he lost to the favourite & veteran of the class) and be right at the sharp end of the US Outdoor Nationals competing for wins. I dont see many other riders doing what he has done at such a young age, yet you still like to talk him down as inferior. Its so... I dont know, sad really. Smile
I think he is good at hole shots, to match the Americans I would need to see him come from first turn crash or back of the pack start to 1st place to show he is in the same league. That would be my expectation, but he his doing better than I expected, 4th in points and podium. So he exceeds my expectations which in my eyes is pretty good.
toroP
6/12/2012 7:33am
Stats: Overall scores

Hangtown: KR 3rd, ET 5th
Freestone: KR 3rd, JB 5th
Lakewood: KR 3rd, ET 4th
High Point: KR 3rd, BB 5th

And Musquin started the outdoor season with a broken hand. I don't know his
current status, but I would bet his endurance will improve(speed is clearly there).
6/12/2012 7:45am
pretty clear stats there Toro. nice. Podiums all year round win championships - we all know that.
Huckster
6/12/2012 8:16am
toroP wrote:
Stats: Overall scores Hangtown: KR 3rd, ET 5th Freestone: KR 3rd, JB 5th Lakewood: KR 3rd, ET 4th High Point: KR 3rd, BB 5th And Musquin...

current status, but I would bet his endurance will improve(speed is clearly there).
Stats:

BB - 175
JB - 168
ET - 164
KR - 158
MM - 117

What's your point? Roczen has been consistant and has benefited from a few bad motos by the other 3 but obvioulsy if you read above, those three have had better results.....
6/12/2012 8:17am
TDeath21 wrote:

TDeath21 wrote:
Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series, and the top GP rider is usually the only...
"Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series".

How do we judge that though?

In a way that's what part of this endless GP vs AMA argument is about. How do we know which field is deeper when the traffic only ever goes one way? We almost never have any top level AMA riders travel over in their prime from America and compete across a full season in the GPs. These days it's always the other way round. And that's the point really - KR doesn't just have to deal with new competition but a whole new playing field altogether. He's weaker in America than he is in the GPs, regardless of the competition. I don't see how that can be denied by anyone. He must surely be weaker by any logical argument under a (to him) foreign system.
PressPassP
6/12/2012 8:20am
TDeath21 wrote:
Maybe a bigger pond this year but how about next year? Am I correct in thinking Barcia,Wilson,Bagget and Tomac all move up next year? if so the class looks very much weaker,things sway,MX1 is far stronger than the 450 class for example

As myself and jamma have said, what if any of those fast 3 Lites riders would have gone to the GP's last year,or even the year before,I think they'd have struggled over here against Roczen,Herlings,Paulin,Frossard etc

What's so flawed when comparing a top GP rider,(albeit from the feeder class),going to race in America is that he should automatically be at a disadvantage as it's all on the Americans' terms

I think Pourcel took to it extremely well,maybe the class was weaker then,many would agree that he wasn't as fast as Cairoli when he left but he did very well in the Lites andcame within a whisker of winning the Outdoors as well as SX,it would have been interesting if say Dungey had done GPs against Pourcel,Cairoli,Ratrey etc becausr that's the equivelent comparison
6/12/2012 8:28am
comparisons are always going to be relative and subjectively biased, there is no answer and it will go on forever.
TDeath21
6/12/2012 8:39am
[i]"Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series".[/i] How do we judge that though? In a way...
"Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series".

In a way that's what part of this endless GP vs AMA argument is about. How do we know which field is deeper when the traffic only ever goes one way? We almost never have any top level AMA riders travel over in their prime from America and compete across a full season in the GPs. These days it's always the other way round. And that's the point really - KR doesn't just have to deal with new competition but a whole new playing field altogether. He's weaker in America than he is in the GPs, regardless of the competition. I don't see how that can be denied by anyone. He must surely be weaker by any logical argument under a (to him) foreign system.
Key words there were general and usually. There are exceptions. All we really have to go by are the Des Nations, and in those, US riders have been winning most of the individual overalls regardless of where it is raced. Osborne did way better in the GPs than he did in the US. Also remember most of the top 10 over here are US riders, so a lot of riders that could probably podium at the Des Nations if they were from another country don't even race.
BIGHEAD1
6/12/2012 8:39am
American riders riding a GP would do better than the vice versa..because the only people in the world that believe the GP's are just as difficult to do well in are a handful of people on a message board. When the GP riders like roczen make the same or less (rattray) to come here, state that it is more intense, faster, deeper whatever that's all I need to hear. Roczen is here because he wants to be the best 250 rider in the world. Period. Just because the GP's are called the world championship doesn't mean it's a world championship. They visit more continents but, to me the countries represented by the riders racing in it define what a world championship is.. If I didn't have a life I would check how many countries have riders represented in each series.. I bet it's similar. by the "world championship visits more continents means it's a world championship" logic the Olympics this summer is only a London city Championship.

As long as riders come from there to race here after winning over there and sometimes making LESS that's proof to me that they are stepping up. It's no longer SX either that's louring them here, because they can now like Roczen last year, do both.
Huckster
6/12/2012 8:43am
[i]"Usually the general rule is that the US series has a deeper field than the GP series".[/i] How do we judge that though? In a way...

There can't be two premier series. It just doesnt happen. The best in the world go where the money is. The money is there because that is where the best in the world are. It doesn't matter if its Hockey, golf, baseball, soccer, hoop or motocross. Sure there will always be the exception to the rule, but for the vast majority of the time, the best will gather in one series. That series right now happens to the the AMA SX/Nationals. Roczen, Musquin, Ratray, Langston, Reed, Searle, Tortelli, Pourcel, and on and on all came over here for a reason. It's where the money and exposure are. Our riders do not have to go over there to prove themselves. Our riders have LL to cut their teeth on and prove themselves at and then its right to the big leagues for kids like Barcia, Baggett, Tomac, Canard, Stewart, RC etc.....The roles were reversed in the 70's and our best went over there to prove themselvs and also got to compete against the worlds best in the Trans AM to show their worth. Unfortunately the trans AM is no longer and there is NO need to go over there. For US riders, the GP's have become a "second" chance and that even goes for GP guys like Searle, Pourcel, and Pichone who have come over and been forced to go back.

It is simple math. It's all about the benjamin's. For a guy like AC or Everts, it was a very smart move to stay over there and dominate. They cashed in by being the big fish which most likely would not have happened over here. Sure they would have been factory riders and very competitive but probably wouldn't have had as much success and in turn made as much money. The debate gets old but carries on because there are so many different angles to it. It's not about individual riders. That is the small picture but really lights the fire under the fan boys. The big picture is the money, exposure and ultimately the status and right now that belongs to the US SX/National series. Just ask Roczen, Musquin and the rest who have made the journey.....
jamma10
6/12/2012 8:46am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2012 8:57am
BIGHEAD1 wrote:
American riders riding a GP would do better than the vice versa..because the only people in the world that believe the GP's are just as difficult...
American riders riding a GP would do better than the vice versa..because the only people in the world that believe the GP's are just as difficult to do well in are a handful of people on a message board. When the GP riders like roczen make the same or less (rattray) to come here, state that it is more intense, faster, deeper whatever that's all I need to hear. Roczen is here because he wants to be the best 250 rider in the world. Period. Just because the GP's are called the world championship doesn't mean it's a world championship. They visit more continents but, to me the countries represented by the riders racing in it define what a world championship is.. If I didn't have a life I would check how many countries have riders represented in each series.. I bet it's similar. by the "world championship visits more continents means it's a world championship" logic the Olympics this summer is only a London city Championship.

As long as riders come from there to race here after winning over there and sometimes making LESS that's proof to me that they are stepping up. It's no longer SX either that's louring them here, because they can now like Roczen last year, do both.
Unfortunately, like most Americans with little or no experience of the GPs it doesn't sound as though you really understand them.

That is part of the problem with these kind of discussions.
TDeath21
6/12/2012 8:55am
PressPassP wrote:
Maybe a bigger pond this year but how about next year? Am I correct in thinking Barcia,Wilson,Bagget and Tomac all move up next year? if so...
Maybe a bigger pond this year but how about next year? Am I correct in thinking Barcia,Wilson,Bagget and Tomac all move up next year? if so the class looks very much weaker,things sway,MX1 is far stronger than the 450 class for example

As myself and jamma have said, what if any of those fast 3 Lites riders would have gone to the GP's last year,or even the year before,I think they'd have struggled over here against Roczen,Herlings,Paulin,Frossard etc

What's so flawed when comparing a top GP rider,(albeit from the feeder class),going to race in America is that he should automatically be at a disadvantage as it's all on the Americans' terms

I think Pourcel took to it extremely well,maybe the class was weaker then,many would agree that he wasn't as fast as Cairoli when he left but he did very well in the Lites andcame within a whisker of winning the Outdoors as well as SX,it would have been interesting if say Dungey had done GPs against Pourcel,Cairoli,Ratrey etc becausr that's the equivelent comparison
If the three battling Roczen this year had gone to the GPs last year, I think Roczen still wins the championship. However, Herlings doesn't get second. Those five riders would still be top 5 in my opinion. I also believe that if Dungey and Villopoto would have went to the GPs last year, they'd have finished 1-2.

A common myth that GP fans believe is that the US riders get a lot of practice on the national tracks. That's not the case at all. A lot of them see it for the first time when they turn pro. Villopoto said he hadn't raced Washougal, which is his hometown track, since he was on 80s until he turned pro.

You also have to remember that a guy like Roczen is rare. Most of the time, by the time they come over here, they are a veteran of the 250 class, which is anything over 2 years racing it. Then they get to race against riders who are in their first three years as a professional. Take Musquin for instance. I love the guy, but when he came here, he had been a 2 time MX2 champ, which makes him a veteran of the 250 class and also means it would be time for him to move up to the 450, but instead came to the US to race the 250.
mxgeoff
6/12/2012 9:04am
BIGHEAD1 wrote:
American riders riding a GP would do better than the vice versa..because the only people in the world that believe the GP's are just as difficult...

There is a thing called history and history says that the FIM World Motocross Championship actually is a World Championship, is Cairoli better than Dungey, or visa versa, I don't know, you don't know and nobody knows. They have beaten eachother on enough occasions to say it's pretty close.

Riders go to America because the America series looks really cool and American's know how to make it look cool. It's been like that since day one. In the 1970s in Australie we knew who Bob Hannah and Marty Smith were beter than we knew who Roger De Coster and Joel Robert were. Americans really do a great job in making their series look cool and America riders are 100% beter than the euros at making it look cool.

As for more money in America, that is because you sell more bike, which means more money for the riders.
jamma10
6/12/2012 9:09am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2012 9:17am
I would probably be prepared to bet my own bike that Baggett, Barcia or Tomac would struggle to replicate their US form if either one came over alone to race in Europe. Now even, let alone when they were just 17 years old.
mxgeoff
6/12/2012 9:10am

Huckster wrote:
There can't be two premier series. It just doesnt happen. The best in the world go where the money is. The money is there because that...
There can't be two premier series. It just doesnt happen. The best in the world go where the money is. The money is there because that is where the best in the world are. It doesn't matter if its Hockey, golf, baseball, soccer, hoop or motocross. Sure there will always be the exception to the rule, but for the vast majority of the time, the best will gather in one series. That series right now happens to the the AMA SX/Nationals. Roczen, Musquin, Ratray, Langston, Reed, Searle, Tortelli, Pourcel, and on and on all came over here for a reason. It's where the money and exposure are. Our riders do not have to go over there to prove themselves. Our riders have LL to cut their teeth on and prove themselves at and then its right to the big leagues for kids like Barcia, Baggett, Tomac, Canard, Stewart, RC etc.....The roles were reversed in the 70's and our best went over there to prove themselvs and also got to compete against the worlds best in the Trans AM to show their worth. Unfortunately the trans AM is no longer and there is NO need to go over there. For US riders, the GP's have become a "second" chance and that even goes for GP guys like Searle, Pourcel, and Pichone who have come over and been forced to go back.

It is simple math. It's all about the benjamin's. For a guy like AC or Everts, it was a very smart move to stay over there and dominate. They cashed in by being the big fish which most likely would not have happened over here. Sure they would have been factory riders and very competitive but probably wouldn't have had as much success and in turn made as much money. The debate gets old but carries on because there are so many different angles to it. It's not about individual riders. That is the small picture but really lights the fire under the fan boys. The big picture is the money, exposure and ultimately the status and right now that belongs to the US SX/National series. Just ask Roczen, Musquin and the rest who have made the journey.....
Bike sales determine that the money is there, and sure that attracts guys like Roczen, Bayle, Tortelli, Pourcel, Townley, McFarlane, Reed, Rattray, Albertyn, Langston, Musquin and all the other euros who tried it.

Be thanksful for the GP series, because all of these guys would never have gotten to America without it. We all are winners with the riders who race AMA and FIM.

Please don't try and downplay the fact that Europeans are still as quick as Americans, because each year we have guys like Paulin, Cairoli, Everts, Seb Pourcel, Roczen, Herlings, Searle and others racing side by side with the likes of Villopoto, Dungey, Reed, Stewart and others. The difference is hardly worth talking about.

Team USA will always rule because you have 100 times the riders of all these countries and like Belgium is learning now the numbers of riders coming through from the youth ranks makes a World or AMA Champion.
toroP
6/12/2012 9:13am
toroP wrote:
Stats: Overall scores Hangtown: KR 3rd, ET 5th Freestone: KR 3rd, JB 5th Lakewood: KR 3rd, ET 4th High Point: KR 3rd, BB 5th And Musquin...

Huckster wrote:
Stats: BB - 175 JB - 168 ET - 164 KR - 158 MM - 117 What's your point? Roczen has been consistant and has benefited...
Stats:

BB - 175
JB - 168
ET - 164
KR - 158
MM - 117

What's your point? Roczen has been consistant and has benefited from a few bad motos by the other 3 but obvioulsy if you read above, those three have had better results.....
Points are the most important stat. Points at the end of the season, that is. Wink

It's early, and a close 4 way battle right now. Anything can happen. Great racing.
6/12/2012 9:15am
julienmark wrote:
Yes, but only in New Zealand do they have sex with sheep!
Gotta love the Aussie's always poking at their neighbors Smile
mxgeoff
6/12/2012 9:17am

Huckster wrote:
There can't be two premier series. It just doesnt happen. The best in the world go where the money is. The money is there because that...

Just so you know the trans-am was held in America...........How old are you?
toroP
6/12/2012 9:31am
Huckster wrote:
Stats: BB - 175 JB - 168 ET - 164 KR - 158 MM - 117 What's your point? Roczen has been consistant and has benefited...
Stats:

BB - 175
JB - 168
ET - 164
KR - 158
MM - 117

And the "other 3" have all benefitted from mistakes by KR. Like Tomac in moto 2 at High Point.
robkinuk
6/12/2012 9:33am
Whilst the AMA Nationals are by far and away one of the best Motocross series, it still only is a National Championship at the end of the day..
Back in the 1970's and 1980's the Belgians were the top MX nation, whose riders won many world titles, but can anyone name who was the 1973 Belgian 250cc National Champion off the top of their head?.....................................................Dizzy

I love following both series, the GP's and American Nationals via the internet and live broadcasts (thanks DC) and have visited many GPs, Nationals and MXDN over the years.
It only seem's it's in America that fans or Vitard's have to constanly claim they have the premier series.
Huckster
6/12/2012 9:37am
mxgeoff wrote:
Bike sales determine that the money is there, and sure that attracts guys like Roczen, Bayle, Tortelli, Pourcel, Townley, McFarlane, Reed, Rattray, Albertyn, Langston, Musquin and...
Bike sales determine that the money is there, and sure that attracts guys like Roczen, Bayle, Tortelli, Pourcel, Townley, McFarlane, Reed, Rattray, Albertyn, Langston, Musquin and all the other euros who tried it.

Be thanksful for the GP series, because all of these guys would never have gotten to America without it. We all are winners with the riders who race AMA and FIM.

Please don't try and downplay the fact that Europeans are still as quick as Americans, because each year we have guys like Paulin, Cairoli, Everts, Seb Pourcel, Roczen, Herlings, Searle and others racing side by side with the likes of Villopoto, Dungey, Reed, Stewart and others. The difference is hardly worth talking about.

Team USA will always rule because you have 100 times the riders of all these countries and like Belgium is learning now the numbers of riders coming through from the youth ranks makes a World or AMA Champion.
Geoff you clearly did not understand the point of my post and like most, right away you went down the individual rider vs rider argument. I am not discounting any rider in any professional series. I don't care about individual results in the MXoN either as its a team race. There is no I in TEAM....and if you talk Rozcen's success you must talk about Dungey's and RV's as well and AC222's implosions.....Rider v Rider comparisons are useless until they line up behind the same gate on the same day in the same moto and yes we as fans are very fortunate that guys like Roczen, Musquin, Ratray, reed, etc...have decided to come over and prove themselves

Go back and re-read my post. It's a pretty simple equation and when you take away the defensive posture and open your mind to think about why those riders are coming over, you will come to the conclusion that right now, the AMA SX/MX series is the premier series in the World. It is where the "best of the best" are and come to prove their worth.
PressPassP
6/12/2012 9:50am
PressPassP wrote:
Maybe a bigger pond this year but how about next year? Am I correct in thinking Barcia,Wilson,Bagget and Tomac all move up next year? if so...

TDeath21 wrote:
If the three battling Roczen this year had gone to the GPs last year, I think Roczen still wins the championship. However, Herlings doesn't get second...
If the three battling Roczen this year had gone to the GPs last year, I think Roczen still wins the championship. However, Herlings doesn't get second. Those five riders would still be top 5 in my opinion. I also believe that if Dungey and Villopoto would have went to the GPs last year, they'd have finished 1-2.

A common myth that GP fans believe is that the US riders get a lot of practice on the national tracks. That's not the case at all. A lot of them see it for the first time when they turn pro. Villopoto said he hadn't raced Washougal, which is his hometown track, since he was on 80s until he turned pro.

You also have to remember that a guy like Roczen is rare. Most of the time, by the time they come over here, they are a veteran of the 250 class, which is anything over 2 years racing it. Then they get to race against riders who are in their first three years as a professional. Take Musquin for instance. I love the guy, but when he came here, he had been a 2 time MX2 champ, which makes him a veteran of the 250 class and also means it would be time for him to move up to the 450, but instead came to the US to race the 250.
I think that's a bold statement saying Dungey and Villopoto would've gone 1-2,it's also easy to say,but we will probably never know,the GP's are a very different affair,Desalle and Frossard did get injured which made life easier for Cairoli but injuries happen I guess,as for this year,Stewart and Dungey would have won Motos,no doubt
but they would make it 6 genuine contenders,as Frossard is out

Hard to say about Herlings too,in my book he's as fast anywhere as Roczen,I'm sure mot Euros on here that have seen his career would agree,disregarding any bias,he came on so well last year,his MXdN ride was a good indication of his talent

You're correct,the GP riders have raced Pro for longer when they go over,Roczen has less time than Barcia but 3/4 of a season more time than Bagget and Tomac as a Pro,he is still younger but obviously moved up sooner,maybe as the US has a had a better junior program? Roczen and Herlings went into the series at 15 years old
6/12/2012 9:54am

TDeath21 wrote:
Key words there were general and usually. There are exceptions. All we really have to go by are the Des Nations, and in those, US riders...
Key words there were general and usually. There are exceptions. All we really have to go by are the Des Nations, and in those, US riders have been winning most of the individual overalls regardless of where it is raced. Osborne did way better in the GPs than he did in the US. Also remember most of the top 10 over here are US riders, so a lot of riders that could probably podium at the Des Nations if they were from another country don't even race.
I understand exceptions. But even with that, I fail to understand how Clement can go 2-2 at a National if the GPs are a lesser series. It's not as if Clement was dominating the World Championship then or now - he is beaten on a regular basis by other riders and only just won his first overall for the year this past weekend. OK, people can say... well that was one race, one weekend with a lot of the good AMA guys missing, plus Stewart was out of sorts and struggling etc. And I accept a degree of truth to all of that. One race is NOT a series and there's always something going on with someone. Granted.

But at the most basic fundamental level - Desalle simply would not be able to challenge Dungey 'AT ALL' if the pace between each series wasn't close. It simply would not happen. He could not turn up to Unadilla National and put in two very convincing 2nd places finishes if his speed wasn't good. Never mind exceptions.

I would also apply the same logic to the various MXDN moto victories or individual battles the GP riders have won over recent years. These aren't all won by freak occurrence, or often by the very best the GPs have to offer. And again, they wouldn't happen at all, ever, if the GP riders weren't at least very close or equal to their AMA counterparts. If on the other hand every MXDN was like Budds Creek 2007 with total AMA domination then I would agree with you completely. I would have no choice but to agree.

I do take on board your point about good few of the AMA riders being left at home for each MXDN. But that is often true of the GP riders also, with many either riding different cc's for team obligations than what they're used to, or sitting out through injury completely.
mxgeoff
6/12/2012 9:55am
Cairoli, Everts, Smets, Paulin, Desalle, Herlings and so many others are ALSO the best of the best. If you don't know that then its not really worth debating with you. The AMA series is awesome and without a doubt has some of the best riders in the World, probably with Villopoto and Roczen the fastest from 2011, but the best of the rest are in both America and Europe my friend.

And as I mentioned, the AMA series looks really cool and that attracts riders. We need to get the GP riders, managers, promoters to get that formula and I believe that its possible to make the GP series look just as cool and thus also interesting to stay here.

For sure now that KTM and Pro-Circuit are involved in both USA and FIM will only help young guys make it in Europe and America and we might see some rider exchanges happen more often.

Post a reply to: Emig's intensity comment...

The Latest