Emig - "This is a long time that Tomac has been down..."

JayBraap19
Am I the only one who has touched on this? (If not, I apologize). He crashed, and literally had no urgency about him when getting back up and getting the bike started. I counted 19 seconds from the time he hit the ground to the time he finally started riding again. I'm wondering what was going through his head at that point....Huh
|
MudPup545
4/30/2017 7:53am
I noticed the lack of urgency too. As if he just gave up the moment the bike hit the ground. He got up and seemed defeated. Maybe knocked the wind out of himself or tweeked something?
tprice07
4/30/2017 7:58am
I thought he might have hurt something, still kinda think he hurt something
Hank_Thrill
4/30/2017 7:59am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 8:03am
Thoughts can have very powerful emotional consequences. Whatever thought went through his mind the moment he hit the dirt was completely different in nature than what he thought about last weekend's bad start.
ATKpilot99
4/30/2017 8:01am
The way things have been going maybe he figured no big deal ....I'll just catch him again.

The Shop

gpracer36
4/30/2017 8:03am
I was just telling my wife the same thing this morning, WTF was Tomac doing?? I get out of bed faster than that
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
4/30/2017 8:19am
He may of had an adrenaline dump after all the build up & nerves to that moment. His blood pressure could've been so high at that point he could hardly see or think straight. It definitely seemed like he froze up for a few. We've all had that out of body experience where the moment doesn't seem real when your in shock. Just a guess though, we may never know what was going through his head at that moment.

I can't remember which SX race it was, but it was when Tomac was on 250's a few years ago & he was in the points chase w/ Wilson maybe? Something happened to Wilson (or whoever) not making the main or bike issues, Tomac had an ok start & this was his chance to make up 25 pts or so & really take advantage of the gift, but he started tighting up, going backwards & was literally rolling through the whoops. It was painful to watch. Guys that he normally smoked were going by him. He barely finished in the top 10-15 maybe? But last night reminded me of that race where the pressure got to him & he fell apart. Anyone remember what race I'm taking about?
Mx286
4/30/2017 8:26am
Thought the same thing. After he went down Emig seemed to be at a loss for words at times. You can tell he was in disbelief when commenting on Tomac. Crazy race last night.
Silas444
4/30/2017 8:30am
He may of had an adrenaline dump after all the build up & nerves to that moment. His blood pressure could've been so high at that...
He may of had an adrenaline dump after all the build up & nerves to that moment. His blood pressure could've been so high at that point he could hardly see or think straight. It definitely seemed like he froze up for a few. We've all had that out of body experience where the moment doesn't seem real when your in shock. Just a guess though, we may never know what was going through his head at that moment.

I can't remember which SX race it was, but it was when Tomac was on 250's a few years ago & he was in the points chase w/ Wilson maybe? Something happened to Wilson (or whoever) not making the main or bike issues, Tomac had an ok start & this was his chance to make up 25 pts or so & really take advantage of the gift, but he started tighting up, going backwards & was literally rolling through the whoops. It was painful to watch. Guys that he normally smoked were going by him. He barely finished in the top 10-15 maybe? But last night reminded me of that race where the pressure got to him & he fell apart. Anyone remember what race I'm taking about?
I do, but only vaguely. I remember him rolling through the whoops like he'd never seen them before. Let's hope, for his sake, that he doesn't make himself infamous for crumbling under pressure. He's too good a guy, and too enjoyable to root for, for that to happen. One thing for sure, as interested as we all are about WHY he did what he did, there's a racer out there who's even MORE fascinated by it: Roczen.
davistld01
4/30/2017 8:30am
Possibly concussion. No other reason I can think of, especially with the situation being as it was. I saw a clip of Eli walking down the tunnel dejectedly & didn't notice him limping or grimacing in pain, but anything is possible. I don't think he just "gave up". Eli is too much a competitor for that.
Flatliner
4/30/2017 8:39am
davistld01 wrote:
Possibly concussion. No other reason I can think of, especially with the situation being as it was. I saw a clip of Eli walking down the...
Possibly concussion. No other reason I can think of, especially with the situation being as it was. I saw a clip of Eli walking down the tunnel dejectedly & didn't notice him limping or grimacing in pain, but anything is possible. I don't think he just "gave up". Eli is too much a competitor for that.
I don't think he'd give up either. But, as posted earlier he did have a previous meltdown that baffles the mind.
crashomatic
4/30/2017 8:41am
"PULLOVERGATE" - the new conspiracy theory this thread has inspired. Tomac threw the race for profit!!!!
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
4/30/2017 8:55am
What ever happened its a bummer. Similar to the KR94 crash. Deflated the series. Well, "final race"

Really want to see the guys put their best effort forward and let it shake out.
speed_racer
Fantasy
1939th
4/30/2017 9:02am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 9:04am
Just re-watched it in slow-mo
He didn't hit his head.
Bike looks off balance in the two ruts and he is facing nose down in deep ruts, just the worst way to try to re-start your bike, then he was in gear and probably needed to find neutral to fire the KX?
Looked as though he thought it would be easy to get going again but then he discovers he is all crooked and can't really get the bike sorted to fire it back up. everything was in the wrong place at the wrong time and he got flustered because he was counting bikes going past him.

I was thinking he peeked at his championship win bonus before he finished the job, choke.
While RD hasn't even looked at the 2018 contract.
ab5772
4/30/2017 9:17am
He may of had an adrenaline dump after all the build up & nerves to that moment. His blood pressure could've been so high at that...

Silas444 wrote:
I do, but only vaguely. I remember him rolling through the whoops like he'd never seen them before. Let's hope, for his sake, that he doesn't...
I do, but only vaguely. I remember him rolling through the whoops like he'd never seen them before. Let's hope, for his sake, that he doesn't make himself infamous for crumbling under pressure. He's too good a guy, and too enjoyable to root for, for that to happen. One thing for sure, as interested as we all are about WHY he did what he did, there's a racer out there who's even MORE fascinated by it: Roczen.
level
4/30/2017 9:25am
I reminded it and it seemed normal on second look. You have to keep your cool and be patient.
TXDirt
4/30/2017 9:26am
He quit. The emotion and pressure had been to high all day. He almost cart wheeled every lap in the heat. He's physically a very gifted rider but seems to have some issues between the ears. He's human after all. Just sucks to see him go out like that after dominating for so many weeks. He earned that red plate. But then just had nothing to defend it.
4/30/2017 9:35am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 9:38am
I don't think he liked the track at all.. small, slick, just didn't suit his riding style. I didn't like the track when I first saw the layout. Tomac is a hamfisted rider and why he does so much better when there is traction or deep sand keeping the rear in line. He spun out, lost traction and came up short on jumps, tucked the front wheel in those conditions. Dungey is more of a finesse rider and could manage the conditions better. when there is traction, Tomac is the fastest guy out there, but flounders a bit when there isn't. I don't think he just snapped under pressure.. the night just didn't work out for him and he knew he couldn't pull the magic like he did last week in last night's conditions.
TXDirt
4/30/2017 9:42am
I don't think he liked the track at all.. small, slick, just didn't suit his riding style. I didn't like the track when I first saw...
I don't think he liked the track at all.. small, slick, just didn't suit his riding style. I didn't like the track when I first saw the layout. Tomac is a hamfisted rider and why he does so much better when there is traction or deep sand keeping the rear in line. He spun out, lost traction and came up short on jumps, tucked the front wheel in those conditions. Dungey is more of a finesse rider and could manage the conditions better. when there is traction, Tomac is the fastest guy out there, but flounders a bit when there isn't. I don't think he just snapped under pressure.. the night just didn't work out for him and he knew he couldn't pull the magic like he did last week in last night's conditions.
That's funny because I thought last weeks conditions favored Dungey and this weeks conditions would favor Tomac. And we got completely opposite results. The track suits Tomac. But not if he is having a mental implosion like we witnessed. He did the same thing in Another race on 250s and cost himself a championship. And I think that was a hard pack track. So track style has nothing to do with it when you are struggling mentally. Have this race at his home track in Colorado and it would be the exact same result. Maybe even worse for Eli.
4/30/2017 9:43am
The way Tomac seemed a little off the whole day yesterday didn't really hit me until he went down in the main event. The way he got up was like he had gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson, he looked beat up. Then that's when I thought how he had been just a little off all day. The thought that maybe he had a practice crash during the week and was a little banged up hit me. Maybe after Vegas, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Eli might have been a little banged up.
JayBraap19
4/30/2017 11:14am
level wrote:
I reminded it and it seemed normal on second look. You have to keep your cool and be patient.
I was wondering if maybe he was inside his head so much that he made that mistake, and getting up he was telling himself to calm down and breathe, hence taking his time and possibly telling himself he can still work his way up to the front.
JayBraap19
4/30/2017 11:17am
And to all those saying he could have hurt himself, I have to disagree. I originally entertained that thought, but after watching the crash a few times over, I can't see anything that looks like it would have hurt him. He even threw his legs up before going down to avoid getting pinched between the rut and bike.
4/30/2017 11:23am
Silas444 wrote:
I do, but only vaguely. I remember him rolling through the whoops like he'd never seen them before. Let's hope, for his sake, that he doesn't...
I remember the Geico team taking the blame for the bike not working in the whoops, which seemed to be the case because with about 3 laps to go Osborne crashed in the whoops, and wasn't looking very good in them either.
ctbale
4/30/2017 11:26am
I was waiting for him to go limp and fall over. Stew ALWAYS took forever to get going again, but at least he would be a little more animated. Tomac had something mental going on, causing him to just go limp, or freeze, never seen anything like it.

smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
4/30/2017 11:43am
mental freeze. when the mind turns the body off. he looked exhausted. of course he wasn't. like they say, its a different level of pressure being the hunter or the hunted. I would bet a large pizza if he was still down or tied going into new York.. he wins that race.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
4/30/2017 11:59am
ab5772 wrote:
The second craziest thing about that race (besides Tomac's struggle) is how many of those guys are still in the 250 class. Osborne, Savatgy, Davalos, Craig, Cunningham, ...

Post a reply to: Emig - "This is a long time that Tomac has been down..."

The Latest