Eli's wheelie...

Edited Date/Time 2/4/2022 5:47pm
It was symbolic. When was the last time we saw that in a supercross race? Plenty of fist pumps, whips, heel clickers, etc, but a casual wheelie before checkers? The last memorable wheelie I recall was Eli's wheelie at Daytona 2015.
|
ty159
2/1/2022 9:20am
It was symbolic. When was the last time we saw that in a supercross race? Plenty of fist pumps, whips, heel clickers, etc, but a casual...
It was symbolic. When was the last time we saw that in a supercross race? Plenty of fist pumps, whips, heel clickers, etc, but a casual wheelie before checkers? The last memorable wheelie I recall was Eli's wheelie at Daytona 2015.
Eli's wheelie through the whoops at Daytona, was definitely a thing of beauty.
aeffertz
2/1/2022 9:32am
It was symbolic. When was the last time we saw that in a supercross race? Plenty of fist pumps, whips, heel clickers, etc, but a casual...
ty159 wrote:
Eli's wheelie through the whoops at Daytona, was definitely a thing of beauty.
He did it multiple times as well throughout the race. Epic moment for sure!

https://youtu.be/5pYCDPZyz0w

The Shop

KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
2/1/2022 9:35am
Yeah it's nice to see him enjoying the race - wheelies don't lie!
Hard to tell generally when pros are having fun or it's "just business".
davistld01
2/1/2022 9:36am
That's fun to watch. There is no doubt, that when he's "feeling it" Eli Tomac is one of the greatest riders the sport has seen.
ArmPumped
2/1/2022 9:42am
I can’t remember the last time a racer did that. Literally gave me goosebumps and I’ve been waiting for someone else to say something about it. Even a parade lap whip to stare down the crowd is a statement. I’m stoked for Eli and I don’t see him giving the Red Plate back any time soon.
Roostermx58
2/1/2022 10:41am
We used to see a lot of celebrations prior to the finish lines over triples back in the 90's. I don't know for a fact, I would think this is frowned against by most manufacturers. The racing has become more serious in the last 20 years and I bet manufacturers want the riders to finish the race before celebrating. Mistakes happen and a simple wheelie or whip over a triple on the last lap could forfeit an easy win. Tomacs wheelie before the finish was awesome to see!
2/1/2022 10:51am
I remember one time accidentally holding a manual through several sand rollers/whoops and mid wheelie thinking “just like eli tomac”
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/1/2022 11:00am
ArmPumped wrote:
I can’t remember the last time a racer did that. Literally gave me goosebumps and I’ve been waiting for someone else to say something about it...
I can’t remember the last time a racer did that. Literally gave me goosebumps and I’ve been waiting for someone else to say something about it. Even a parade lap whip to stare down the crowd is a statement. I’m stoked for Eli and I don’t see him giving the Red Plate back any time soon.
I think it's up for grabs, to be honest. Not discounting Eli's greatness at all, but I think he may not be as dominant as everyone seems to be implying. Sexton and Anderson are within striking distance to take the red plate this weekend if Eli takes 5th.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
2/1/2022 11:06am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2022 5:51pm
After several years hitched to Roczen (repeatedly to be disappointed) ..I am heading over to the Eli band wagon..
2/1/2022 11:14am
Brad460 wrote:
After several years hitched to Roczen (repeatedly to be disappointed) ..I am heading over to the Eli band wagon..
Hahahaha, I've always been an Eli fan but I'm not hitched to anyone. I'm not counting out anyone at this point, even Roczen and Webb (unless Webb is injured). I still think anyone in the current top 9 could win the title.

Time will tell if Eli is just getting started on a run or if he just had a really good race. When he did his wheelie I saw it as a boy who's having fun on his dirtbike. That could be dangerous for his competitors but it's way too early to tell.
kiwifan
2/1/2022 11:26am
so if I read these posts right, Eli does a wheelie and suddenly its all over for the rest of the competition after 3 rounds?

My money is still on Webb
2/1/2022 11:30am
kiwifan wrote:
so if I read these posts right, Eli does a wheelie and suddenly its all over for the rest of the competition after 3 rounds? My...
so if I read these posts right, Eli does a wheelie and suddenly its all over for the rest of the competition after 3 rounds?

Not at all, that was not what I posted. Read above, I think it's still wide open. I agree Webb is a solid pick if he's not injured. I think they'll get it turned around (literally) Smile
fourfourone
2/1/2022 11:34am
kiwifan wrote:
so if I read these posts right, Eli does a wheelie and suddenly its all over for the rest of the competition after 3 rounds? My...

Read again.. no one is saying that.
2/1/2022 11:35am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2022 11:36am
ArmPumped wrote:
I can’t remember the last time a racer did that. Literally gave me goosebumps and I’ve been waiting for someone else to say something about it...
Falcon wrote:
I think it's up for grabs, to be honest. Not discounting Eli's greatness at all, but I think he may not be as dominant as everyone...
I think it's up for grabs, to be honest. Not discounting Eli's greatness at all, but I think he may not be as dominant as everyone seems to be implying. Sexton and Anderson are within striking distance to take the red plate this weekend if Eli takes 5th.
HIstory says Eli will have some inexplicable nights where he just doesn't look like the guy, so to me it is more a question if anybody else will show a level of consistency that we haven't seen through 4 rounds.
gt80rider
2/1/2022 11:39am
a happy and confident ET3 is gonna be reallyyyy hard to beat... basically, that celebration wheelie, is very bad news for his competition...

watched a recent Swap Moto video with ET3.... like me, he HATES hydro clutches... if anything, a real, working clutch, that has feel to it, may have made a big difference for him.... no more "WTF do you mean the clutch went from fine to completely gone in one lap!"...

and we've yet to see Elito-Mac show up.... maybe he's saving that for the later rounds, if needed....
fourfourone
2/1/2022 11:42am
ArmPumped wrote:
same here
face biter
2/1/2022 11:49am
kiwifan wrote:

Of course not, that would be silly. It’s over after 4 rounds!
Smile
2/1/2022 11:52am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2022 11:55am
gt80rider wrote:
a happy and confident ET3 is gonna be reallyyyy hard to beat... basically, that celebration wheelie, is very bad news for his competition... watched a recent...
a happy and confident ET3 is gonna be reallyyyy hard to beat... basically, that celebration wheelie, is very bad news for his competition...

watched a recent Swap Moto video with ET3.... like me, he HATES hydro clutches... if anything, a real, working clutch, that has feel to it, may have made a big difference for him.... no more "WTF do you mean the clutch went from fine to completely gone in one lap!"...

and we've yet to see Elito-Mac show up.... maybe he's saving that for the later rounds, if needed....
The phrasing intrigued me a bit more than that he likes a cable (which is just a personal taste): "I'm always a cable clutch guy if I can have the option to."

There's an inference there that he probably strongly lobbied for a cable at Kawi and got shut down. That is not surprising when you look back at his early struggles to adapt when the new KX came out.
HD1200
2/1/2022 11:57am
The last time I remember seeing that, I'm believe it was Tomac. It was cool seeing him enjoy the feeling of winning!
ArmPumped
2/1/2022 1:22pm
ArmPumped wrote:
Falcon wrote:
I think it's up for grabs, to be honest. Not discounting Eli's greatness at all, but I think he may not be as dominant as everyone...
We’re 4 rounds in. Obviously it’s up for grabs. But he’s proven he can come through the pack with a less than ideal start which just doesn’t happen as often anymore. I’m not saying he’s winning out, just that he won’t lose the red plate anytime soon barring some huge incident.
tvo314
2/1/2022 1:36pm
kiwifan wrote:

Looks like reading isn’t your strong suit.
2/1/2022 2:31pm
We used to see a lot of celebrations prior to the finish lines over triples back in the 90's. I don't know for a fact, I...
We used to see a lot of celebrations prior to the finish lines over triples back in the 90's. I don't know for a fact, I would think this is frowned against by most manufacturers. The racing has become more serious in the last 20 years and I bet manufacturers want the riders to finish the race before celebrating. Mistakes happen and a simple wheelie or whip over a triple on the last lap could forfeit an easy win. Tomacs wheelie before the finish was awesome to see!
I agree. There have been a few last lap celebration moves that have gone wrong (resulting in the leader throwing away the win) It's funny, Eli did something before the sand section in celebration and I was thinking noooooo celebrate AFTER the sand section, that stuff will jump up and get you Laughing
Bradshaw Fan
2/1/2022 3:11pm
Eli pulled a wheelie in 2019 at the Denver supercross on the last lap just before the finish line jump
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
2/1/2022 3:24pm
Its official eli must do a wheelie every victory lap. Bet we see 5 more this yr at least.
2/1/2022 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2022 3:27pm
Baggett out here feeling so confident that he'll start a race with a celebratory wheelie:

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
2/1/2022 3:29pm
aeffertz wrote:
He did it multiple times as well throughout the race. Epic moment for sure!

https://youtu.be/5pYCDPZyz0w
I don't remember that one being a "Celebration".....

Either way it was freaking awesome.
2/1/2022 3:36pm
Eli pulled a wheelie in 2019 at the Denver supercross on the last lap just before the finish line jump
Good find, I don't remember that one. Has any other rider done this other than Eli in recent years? Eli loves to wheelie.

Post a reply to: Eli's wheelie...

The Latest