Eli's place among top motocrossers

str8line
Edited Date/Time 8/1/2020 10:16am
In May of 2018 RacerX had him at #18. Where is he now? And where are Kenny(15) and Marvin(not listed)?

https://racerxonline.com/category/30-greatest-ama-motocrossers
|
RalphS
7/27/2020 6:59pm
str8line wrote:
In May of 2018 RacerX had him at #18. Where is he now? And where are Kenny(15) and Marvin(not listed)?

https://racerxonline.com/category/30-greatest-ama-motocrossers
I'm no fan of that ranking, my metrics are different. That being said, Dungey is 4, he and Tomac have the same amount of national championships, Dungey more podiums but Tomac legendary speed and a tripeat back3back. That would put him 5 at least I guess.
Johnny Ringo
7/27/2020 7:13pm
He’s creeping up on Dunge IMO. One or two more SX titles he’s there. A legend in the making for sure.

Before all the dunge boys get worked up he still has a bit to go, but he’ll be right there when it’s all said and done
charge
7/27/2020 7:15pm
He once beat dungey straight up in a race by a minute thirty
Crush
7/27/2020 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2020 7:22pm
That list is ridiculous just for the fact that Dungey is ahead of RV.

If they raced in two different eras, sure I can start to see the reasoning, but the fact is they faced off their whole career, and RV beat RD every time.

RV has 5 outdoor titles, 4 against RD. RD has 4 outdoor titles, not one against RV. Same goes for SX. There is literally no data that Dungey would have beat RV if RV was racing.

No-one ranks Chad ahead of James in SX... 2 titles each, James more wins, Chad more podiums.

As for Eli – he's got 4 titles now, hard to see him not finishing with 6, maybe even 7. That's seriously elite, especially when your comp for those titles have titles too.

The Shop

7/27/2020 7:46pm
Actually I rate Chad ahead of James for the simple fact I can.
Also the fact that Chad is still putting in and James went MIA.
charge
7/27/2020 7:50pm
And because you’re Australian
wwdiii
7/27/2020 7:58pm
Tomac is top 10 in my humble opinion.
WowWowWubzy
7/27/2020 8:12pm
He needs at least a second SX Title. Without 7 rounds in his backyard👍🏻😂
str8line
7/27/2020 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2020 8:18pm
The RacerX list is for AMA Nationals only.
Crush
7/27/2020 8:55pm
I mean, patriotism aside, you could argue who's career you might prefer to have had... James took some hard knocks physically and mentally... probably both made similar money...but results wise? Chad didn't really beat James until 2011 onwards.

I love the guy but it's hard to argue he had a more successful career.

As for still going – Lots of stars just drop off, it doesn't count against them, just now in social media age there is an expectation that we have some sort of right to see what's going on in their lives.
visser62
7/27/2020 10:00pm
For outdoors only, I certainly put him ahead of Dungey and maybe even head of Villopoto. It's a tough call for me.

This might not be popular, but I still have Bubba second to Carmichael. He didn't get the wins and championships like he should have, but it's the eye test for me.
7/28/2020 12:51am
charge wrote:
And because you’re Australian
Actually no, I don't follow Chad as to ME he comes across as arrogant, I'm a big FMOTP James fan.
7/28/2020 12:55am
Crush wrote:
I mean, patriotism aside, you could argue who's career you might prefer to have had... James took some hard knocks physically and mentally... probably both made...
I mean, patriotism aside, you could argue who's career you might prefer to have had... James took some hard knocks physically and mentally... probably both made similar money...but results wise? Chad didn't really beat James until 2011 onwards.

As for still going – Lots of stars just drop off, it doesn't count against them, just now in social media age there is an expectation that we have some sort of right to see what's going on in their lives.
I acknowledge your point.

Do you really think they made similar money, I would have thought James had a LOT more value to sponsors?
Momus
7/28/2020 1:22am
James was good, very good on the bike but took far too many soil samples for a rider with his reputation.

He was a rat and an arsehole when it came to living up to his obligations.

Stewart pissed of a legion of Aussies by pulling out of our SX in 2015/16:
Chad consolidated his reputation for being a man of the people in these events that SX starved Australians looked forward to.

I hope one day Tomac comes down under. For me he is #1 in the modern era for his riding ability and the intangible, but real, excitement he brings to any race he is in.
Momus
7/28/2020 1:25am
Crush wrote:
I mean, patriotism aside, you could argue who's career you might prefer to have had... James took some hard knocks physically and mentally... probably both made...

Do you really think they made similar money, I would have thought James had a LOT more value to sponsors?
Chad was many times the biggest merchandise seller in the paddock.
TXDirt
7/28/2020 3:07am
Hard to compare eras but in modern times it’s pretty straight forward.

RC
Stewart
RV
Dungey
ET
gregyou
7/28/2020 5:20am
Surely tomacs whooping of dungey by a minute and half puts him above him.

Between Rc, JS and ET they could put together one hell of a high lights reel of amazing rides
gregyou
7/28/2020 5:21am
Rumour is monster created the COVID so this would happen
Crush
7/28/2020 6:24am

I mean, how the fuck would I know but can probably assume...

..Dizzy imilar in that they were probably being paid very close being in the same era, top guys on their teams, paid to win, so probably similar from manufacturer, gear sponsors etc.

James has Red Bull and a bunch more win bonuses obviously... but then again Reedy pocketed $5M for the 09 outdoor title alone...

We’ve heard a few agents over the years on pulp etc say the guys now or since still aren’t near what the RC/Stew/CR deals were.
TXDirt
7/28/2020 6:34am
gregyou wrote:
Surely tomacs whooping of dungey by a minute and half puts him above him. Between Rc, JS and ET they could put together one hell of...

Between Rc, JS and ET they could put together one hell of a high lights reel of amazing rides
I don’t think this really pertains to speed but overall career. Sure, being the fastest can lead to a great career. But not always. That’s why for now, Eli is behind Dungey. Eli has not had quite the career just yet. He’s close though. Dungey was certainly one of the best and his consistency is unmatched. He has had a better career then Eli so far. But Eli has some years left still and can eclipse Dungey. But he’s not ahead of him just yet.
gregyou
7/28/2020 6:39am
gregyou wrote:
Surely tomacs whooping of dungey by a minute and half puts him above him. Between Rc, JS and ET they could put together one hell of...

TXDirt wrote:
I don’t think this really pertains to speed but overall career. Sure, being the fastest can lead to a great career. But not always. That’s why...
I don’t think this really pertains to speed but overall career. Sure, being the fastest can lead to a great career. But not always. That’s why for now, Eli is behind Dungey. Eli has not had quite the career just yet. He’s close though. Dungey was certainly one of the best and his consistency is unmatched. He has had a better career then Eli so far. But Eli has some years left still and can eclipse Dungey. But he’s not ahead of him just yet.
I was thinking they had the same amount of motocross titles, tomac has to get one more
Crush
7/28/2020 6:41am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2020 6:31am
Eli and Dungey both have 4 outdoor titles.

Eli 13 250 and the last 3 450.

RD 09 250, 10/12 & 15 450.

I assume Dungey has more wins/podiums but haven’t checked.
scootch
7/28/2020 7:03am
I'm not sure how Tomac isn't ahead of Dungey in any of these comparisons due to his raw speed. Didn't Tomac put a minute and a half on Dungey one moto? Also, insert video of Tomac at GH whipping thru the 180 turn. Dude has 3 straight titles and more raw speed than we have seen from anybody since RV/Stew
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/28/2020 7:11am
Crush wrote:
That list is ridiculous just for the fact that Dungey is ahead of RV. If they raced in two different eras, sure I can start to...
That list is ridiculous just for the fact that Dungey is ahead of RV.

If they raced in two different eras, sure I can start to see the reasoning, but the fact is they faced off their whole career, and RV beat RD every time.

RV has 5 outdoor titles, 4 against RD. RD has 4 outdoor titles, not one against RV. Same goes for SX. There is literally no data that Dungey would have beat RV if RV was racing.

No-one ranks Chad ahead of James in SX... 2 titles each, James more wins, Chad more podiums.

As for Eli – he's got 4 titles now, hard to see him not finishing with 6, maybe even 7. That's seriously elite, especially when your comp for those titles have titles too.
Not disagreeing with your entire post but a little misleading saying RV wasn't ever racing when Dunge won. 2010, RV ejected while racing against Dungey.
If you miss a season because you are out with an injury that is one thing but if you get hurt while racing others then that counts as them beating you.
mxb2
7/28/2020 7:24am
TXDirt wrote:
Hard to compare eras but in modern times it’s pretty straight forward.

RC
Stewart
RV
Dungey
ET
Rv, dungey ahead of stewart easy. Wins are good, titles are better.
Crush
7/28/2020 7:25am
seth505 wrote:
Not disagreeing with your entire post but a little misleading saying RV wasn't ever racing when Dunge won. 2010, RV ejected while racing against Dungey. If...
Not disagreeing with your entire post but a little misleading saying RV wasn't ever racing when Dunge won. 2010, RV ejected while racing against Dungey.
If you miss a season because you are out with an injury that is one thing but if you get hurt while racing others then that counts as them beating you.
Well, this thread was about MX... but yeah he crashed out of SX IN 10, but let’s be real, he was looking like he gonna get it done...

100% you gotta be in it to win it, but if you had to lay your mortgage down, are you taking the guy who is 8 titles up, or the other guy who arguably got one when the big dog crashed out?

Again go back to Chads titles, the cheques cash, but unfortunately he didn’t beat James or RC for a title. still a title, but comparing them it’s gotta be a tie breaker right?

Post a reply to: Eli's place among top motocrossers

The Latest