Eli v Dylan on Star

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2021 6:31 AM

Since it's officially bench racing (hot take) season.........

One of the most interesting things to look forward to next season is how the Eli/Dylan relationship works out. Full disclosure I have been a fairly harsh critic of Eli because I think he left too many SX titles on the table. That being said I can't remember a time when a team had two legit number 1 riders of their ability and championship pedigree.

The big question I have is with Eli. Was this move to Star a hope to jumpstart his career and get back to championship level even though he's only a year and a half away from his last championship?

The other question with Eli is how will he train. He is notoriously private in his training and does the whole Rocky lV training in the mountains to fight Drago thing. Will he change it up and train in Florida? Most will say I'm crazy thinking that but if Eli looks at Dylan as his primary adversary why not put yourself against him every single day. The whole steel sharpens steel thing. I doubt it will work out like that but it would be great to see.

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

9/23/2021 6:37 AM

Valid questions. If Eli does go to Florida I think it will be good for him, a change is as good as a…. Whatever the quote is.
Hard to imagine Eli moving to Florida after all these years in the twilight of his career though.

|

9/23/2021 6:39 AM

Eli is 100% staying in Colorado

|

9/23/2021 6:57 AM

I can't imagine Eli going to FL for an extended period of time. Between it being the later part of his career, having a family and also just who he is, as a person. I think he will continue to do his thing. Maybe he will be down there from time to time, but I think his home base will be his primary way to go about his routine. But it is going to be pretty cool seeing 2 teammates battle for wins/titles (hopefully.)

|

9/23/2021 7:00 AM

No way he’s going to Florida lol

|

9/23/2021 7:05 AM

Game respects game.

|

9/23/2021 7:07 AM

Think it was the WTS, but whatever podcast he was on recently he said something to the effect of the new team will let him stay in Colorado.

|

I'll keep my guns, freedom and money, and you can keep the "change"

9/23/2021 7:13 AM

AH387 wrote:

I can't imagine Eli going to FL for an extended period of time. Between it being the later part of his career, having a family ...more

All the reasons you give are the perfect reason for him to go to Florida. It is the latter stages of his career so a change up would be just what the doctor ordered. He could bring his family and do the same thing Dylan does.

I also doubt it would happen but what better way to train than with your main rival.

|

Volusia/Flagler Counties

9/23/2021 7:21 AM

McG194 wrote:

All the reasons you give are the perfect reason for him to go to Florida. It is the latter stages of his career so a change up ...more

You make good points, and I agree. It could make sense. If I had to guess, I don't think he will though. Him and Jeremy just seem like guys who do their own thing and are self-motivated. Like that is just who they seem to be, personality-wise. But I obviously could be wrong. It will be interesting, regardless.

|

9/23/2021 7:29 AM

Maybe he'll do a boot camp in Florida with the boys but maintain fitness at his own facility. I think the change will probably help him enjoy things more.

|

9/23/2021 7:37 AM

Eli will stay in Colorado…He doesn’t need to change his program he’s always been one of if not the fittest riders out there…his change has more to do with Kawi’s resistance to changes on the bike and teaming back up with his old suspension guy and being on a team that will allow change…

|

I’M NOT F*#$ING SWAP….OK!

9/23/2021 8:04 AM

I can’t wait to see that big ol number 3 on that YZF!

|

9/23/2021 8:18 AM

ProbablyDave wrote:

Eli is 100% staying in Colorado

I think he'd be "nuts" to move to FL. His place in Colorado is a slice of heaven; but, if I were him? I'd sure as hell get a place in FL, move there "on paper" to take advantage of the tax benefits, ride there at times/stay there between East Coast Rounds in the winter & just enjoy having somewhere-else to hang and train when the desire to "mix-it-up" hits.

Btw, I'm thinking like some others around here are: a little change at this point in his career...is good.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

9/23/2021 8:24 AM

Eli’s competitive advantage is the extra fitness the Colorado altitude gives him.

Eli’s disadvantage is the carousel of people messing with his suspension setup.

If he’s got his KYB guy that he loves all year next year...grab the popcorn.

|

9/23/2021 8:27 AM

DonM wrote:

Eli will stay in Colorado…He doesn’t need to change his program he’s always been one of if not the fittest riders out there… ...more

Exactly what are you basing it on that "He doesn't need to change his program?"

Three premier class titles in a row have been handed out to guys not named Eli. Sounds like the perfect time to switch it up. Old training mantra I used to say is "Everything works and nothing works for long." The human body and mind get used to things a certain way and then training has less effect and you get burned out.

|

Volusia/Flagler Counties

9/23/2021 8:29 AM

DonM wrote:

Eli will stay in Colorado…He doesn’t need to change his program he’s always been one of if not the fittest riders out there… ...more

McG194 wrote:

Exactly what are you basing it on that "He doesn't need to change his program?"

Three premier class titles in a row have been ...more

Hey, you ! Get outta here with all that "logic stuff"!

This is the inter-webs-thingy-place.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

9/23/2021 8:32 AM

Probably already spinning laps in CO on his new blue steed. Let’s hope he rides atleast two full seasons before he retires. Maybe Jmart will be training in CO a bit also. Star can’t argue that duo

|

9/23/2021 8:45 AM

He recently confirmed on DMXS that he’ll be staying in CO, and deservedly so.

|

PEACE!

9/23/2021 8:50 AM

Sounds like Eli took a big pay cut to go to Star so I would assume he’s thinking about Championships. Also still training in CO.

|

9/23/2021 11:07 AM

David Izer wrote:

He recently confirmed on DMXS that he’ll be staying in CO, and deservedly so.

I'm not trying to break news that he's training in Florida, I'm just giving my opinion that it would be a good move. The whole "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" line of thinking. As of now Dylan is the best outdoor racer in America, if I wanted to beat him I'd sure like to know everything he does.

As far as deservedly so, you could say that with Kawasaki but with Star Yamaha he doesn't deserve anything yet. Besides, who believes anything on DMXS? wink

|

Volusia/Flagler Counties

9/23/2021 12:12 PM

How they fair against last year's title combatants is the more important question to me. They both have to deal with Cooper Webb and Ken Roczen for 17 rounds in SX.

|

9/23/2021 12:35 PM

rather than ET vs DF.....

How are the other teams going to compete against Star?

ET
DF
CC
AP

Plus ~154 250F riders

|

9/23/2021 12:49 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

rather than ET vs DF.....

How are the other teams going to compete against Star?

ET
DF
CC
AP

Plus ~154 250F riders

You done messed up A A Ron is on KTM next year.

|

Volusia/Flagler Counties

9/23/2021 1:44 PM

Is Eli a loner, or do other people ride at his ranch?

|

9/23/2021 1:46 PM

Mostly a loaner. J. Mart and Zacho have trained there.

|

9/23/2021 2:45 PM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

Sounds like Eli took a big pay cut to go to Star so I would assume he’s thinking about Championships. Also still training in ...more

Hmmmm...

Did he trade a "base-pay" cut for a substantially HUGE win/championship bonus structure?

|

9/23/2021 2:50 PM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

Sounds like Eli took a big pay cut to go to Star so I would assume he’s thinking about Championships. Also still training in ...more

TeamGreen wrote:

Hmmmm...

Did he trade a "base-pay" cut for a substantially HUGE win/championship bonus structure?

If base pay goes away, the bonuses come into play.

|

9/23/2021 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2021 3:33 PM

No doubt Eli will step up his game getting ready for 2022 as he will be extra motivated with the new bike and team.

Look for some guest appearances at the new Star racing facility.

|

9/23/2021 3:44 PM

Eli said on DMXS he will not be going to Florida to train.

|

9/23/2021 3:50 PM

MX Guy wrote:

How they fair against last year's title combatants is the more important question to me. They both have to deal with Cooper ...more

Likely an unpopular opinion but I would argue that Roczen himself has to prove he is able to be a contender for a full 17 rounds. So far he hasn't shown the ability to.

|