Eli struggling

Max Petro
Edited Date/Time 2/28/2021 1:25am
What’s up with tomac? Getting passed by roczen then getting passed by Anderson?

Just doesn't seem as hungry as he's been, and some of these other guys are becoming hungrier, that’s my take
|
Yammyam
2/22/2021 6:14pm
I really wonder how many times "what's up with Tomac" has been asked now.

Surely enough times to know that it's not a question that can be answered by anyone here.
cartel
2/22/2021 6:17pm
Ok, these threads pop up after each race ad nauseam, but here's my theory for indulgence sake:

Tomac thrives on brute power / force. Correlate to the overwhelming threads lambasting the track layouts as 'boring', it's not much of a surprise that Tomac is flailing. When you get him on a track with high-risk rhythms, quads that are trepidatious in nature, and open tracks that favor speed and risk over smooth consistency, he typically does well.

But who knows; maybe being a father has changed his outlook on risk, or his recent hankering for racing Porsche's has his head in another place entirely and he's simply letting his contract with Kawasaki burn out. And while most riders would choose to go out on top rather than to fade into the ether, Tomac doesn't seem like he could care less about what the moto community thinks, which is actually one of the reasons I like the dude so much.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
2/22/2021 7:02pm
I'd just like to know why his starts and first lap are so poor based on his talent level. Seems like if he could fix those two issues, he wouldn't have to fight through the pack. Its hard coming through the pack this year, everybody is on it. Fix lap 1 and its a different Eli. Easier said than done.

The Shop

kkawboy14
2/23/2021 5:03am
Man he can not get rolling on smaller tight tracks. For the most part that is his kryptonite. (Even tho his 1 win this year was on a tight track)
TXDirt
2/23/2021 5:38am
Multi time outdoor champion. Finally got that elusive SX championship. Millions in the bank. He’s a new father.

The hunger starts to fade and the risk reward isn’t worth it anymore.

Not really hard to figure him out. He still has speed and can still win on his “on” nights. His star is fading though...

Great career. He’s on the backside of it now.
Denn700
2/23/2021 3:16pm
My theory is he doesn’t excel on this format with less training and riding in between races.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
2/23/2021 3:30pm
I hate that people cant just take in the fact that people where faster than him on that weekend.

he hasn't lost speed. People have just gotten faster.

he will win racers and be better at certain tracks. but just because he didn't win doesn't mean something is wrong, there is no excuse. Other riders where just faster, end of story hahaha
peelout
2/23/2021 3:33pm
Eli is usually the fastest guy on the track unless there are other faster guys on the same track at the same time
2/23/2021 4:35pm
It's all mental for him always have been, This year I think he was satisfied with the SX championship last year and just doesn't want it more than the others this year.

He's still the fastest out there when he's "on" like every year in his 450 career.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/23/2021 4:42pm
Put yourself in Eli's shoes. You already won the elusive 450cc SX championship and shed the "most wins by a guy who was never champ" badge. You already own multiple titles and records. You have beaucoup $$, a great home, and a new family. Do you really want anything more now?
If I were Eli, I'd be rolling the whoops and waiting to rail it outdoors for one last title before hanging it up.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
2/23/2021 4:54pm
Daytona and Atlanta outdoors coming up right? I think we will see multiple wins out of him very soon.
gregyou
2/23/2021 5:33pm
skeef wrote:
Daytona and Atlanta outdoors coming up right? I think we will see multiple wins out of him very soon.
I don’t think he will win, his outdoor season he struggled as like he is now
Wiff3
2/23/2021 5:38pm
Eli has consistently been the fastest guy for a long time. No, he hasn't won all the championships, for various reasons, but no one can deny his outright speed! If he's not currently the fastest guy, so what. It doesn't mean he's done, it doesn't mean he's not. I personally think if he wants to keep going, he could benefit from a change of scenery. (no, I'm not saying the Kawi is a bad bike). Maybe it would recharge whatever he's lacking right now.
2/23/2021 5:43pm
gregyou wrote:
I don’t think he will win, his outdoor season he struggled as like he is now
I agree I don't think he'll win any of those rounds as it appears he gets tired near the end of the races which definitely won't help. I've been a big Tomac defender over the years, but personally I don't see him getting another win this season unless it comes like his Houston 2 win where the guys ahead of him crashed.

Who knows, maybe he'll be motivated to win Daytona as I believe that would tie him with Carmichael for the most wins there.
HusqFan3
2/23/2021 8:14pm
cartel wrote:
Ok, these threads pop up after each race ad nauseam, but here's my theory for indulgence sake: Tomac thrives on brute power / force. Correlate to...
Ok, these threads pop up after each race ad nauseam, but here's my theory for indulgence sake:

Tomac thrives on brute power / force. Correlate to the overwhelming threads lambasting the track layouts as 'boring', it's not much of a surprise that Tomac is flailing. When you get him on a track with high-risk rhythms, quads that are trepidatious in nature, and open tracks that favor speed and risk over smooth consistency, he typically does well.

But who knows; maybe being a father has changed his outlook on risk, or his recent hankering for racing Porsche's has his head in another place entirely and he's simply letting his contract with Kawasaki burn out. And while most riders would choose to go out on top rather than to fade into the ether, Tomac doesn't seem like he could care less about what the moto community thinks, which is actually one of the reasons I like the dude so much.
I personally don’t think it’s as simple explanation like tight tracks. Going back to Lorettas 1 he just hasn’t shown that world class speed we’ve all grown accustomed to seeing and clearly hasn’t been the same rider since winning the SX title. I’ve always thought the “Eli has mental issues” were overblown but it’s pretty hard to argue his current funk isn’t purely mental. For whatever reason he’s been riding timid and lacking any real fight.

The good news is he’s certainly young enough and skilled enough to get it back. He just needs to find a way to string a few wins together and regain his confidence. Hopefully soon n because there’s few things i enjoy more than watching him on one of his epic beast mode charges.
HusqFan3
2/23/2021 8:38pm
peelout wrote:
Eli is usually the fastest guy on the track unless there are other faster guys on the same track at the same time
That’s a really good point... I’d just add that all he needs to do to start winning races again is to start finishing ahead of competitors.
Dutch348
2/23/2021 8:49pm
Roczen is healthy again. That’s pretty much it.
gregyou
2/23/2021 8:53pm
Dutch348 wrote:
Yeah right, so him fading and dropping off barcia getting passed by Anderson is because roczen is health ?

What position was roczen going into Daytona last season ?
Yammyam
2/23/2021 8:55pm
Falcon wrote:
Put yourself in Eli's shoes. You already won the elusive 450cc SX championship and shed the "most wins by a guy who was never champ" badge...
Put yourself in Eli's shoes. You already won the elusive 450cc SX championship and shed the "most wins by a guy who was never champ" badge. You already own multiple titles and records. You have beaucoup $$, a great home, and a new family. Do you really want anything more now?
If I were Eli, I'd be rolling the whoops and waiting to rail it outdoors for one last title before hanging it up.
Seriously, do you really think Eli has achieved everything he wants to and is ready to hang up the boots.. after one supercross championship? If I'm putting myself in Eli's shoes I would want to solidify my legacy with more championships so my name can be mentioned among the greats of the sport.
Dutch348
2/23/2021 8:55pm
Dutch348 wrote:
gregyou wrote:
Yeah right, so him fading and dropping off barcia getting passed by Anderson is because roczen is health ? What position was roczen going into Daytona...
Yeah right, so him fading and dropping off barcia getting passed by Anderson is because roczen is health ?

Where are Ando and Barcia in the points? They are non factors.
Dutch348
2/23/2021 9:00pm
We’re at the halfway point and Eli always finishes stronger than he started. My money is still on Eli. But Kenny is a close second.
gregyou
2/23/2021 9:00pm
Dutch348 wrote:
gregyou wrote:
Yeah right, so him fading and dropping off barcia getting passed by Anderson is because roczen is health ? What position was roczen going into Daytona...

Dutch348 wrote:
Where are Ando and Barcia in the points? They are non factors.
What does that have to do with anything ?
Goofy Foot
2/23/2021 9:04pm
We are only at the halfway point and there's a lot of golf left to play. Anything can happen and I would say the top 7 are still technically "in it" with 2 & 94 having a large advantage at the moment. Eli is by no means out of it unless 2 & 94 have near perfect back nines...
BS12
2/23/2021 9:28pm
For those defending him and saying the competition has risen to the challenge, I raise you Daytona last year and the mud round at SLC. Eli was 10+ seconds behind Ken at Daytona, running around 6th place, and already past the halfway point before eventually marching into 2nd, and still hunting Ken down to win. At the SLC mudder, even with the championship essentially in the bag, and having no business messing with his closest rival for the title at the time in Cooper Webb, the pair lapped the field and he didn't hold back at all in going to to toe with Cooper for the win, with no regard for potential consequences.

This past weekend he sat behind Barcia for half the race (as he had already done once previously this season already), before eventually succumbing to Roczen and fading to lose another spot to Anderson.
Lloydcarter
2/23/2021 10:28pm
peelout wrote:
Underrated take 👆🏻
2/23/2021 10:50pm
Falcon wrote:
Put yourself in Eli's shoes. You already won the elusive 450cc SX championship and shed the "most wins by a guy who was never champ" badge...
Yammyam wrote:
Seriously, do you really think Eli has achieved everything he wants to and is ready to hang up the boots.. after one supercross championship? If I'm...
Seriously, do you really think Eli has achieved everything he wants to and is ready to hang up the boots.. after one supercross championship? If I'm putting myself in Eli's shoes I would want to solidify my legacy with more championships so my name can be mentioned among the greats of the sport.
Multi millionaire.
Beautiful home
Beautiful family
Good health
Good age
Lots of life to live.
Potential burnout from the last twenty years grinding.

I’d say another SX title isn’t in Eli’s list of top five ‘must haves’ right now.
Success does that to a lot of folks.
bowl
2/23/2021 11:36pm
His already making retirement plans.
Philly215
2/24/2021 5:06am
Yammyam wrote:
I really wonder how many times "what's up with Tomac" has been asked now. Surely enough times to know that it's not a question that can...
I really wonder how many times "what's up with Tomac" has been asked now.

Surely enough times to know that it's not a question that can be answered by anyone here.
Who would have thunk that on a message board about dirt bike racing, people would gossip and talk about dirt bike racing!

Post a reply to: Eli struggling

The Latest