Eli Tomac Problem Found

Slay896
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2019 5:08am
I was watching the 2018 Las Vegas Supercross, and in kawasaki's sience of supercross they said that Eli's cutch was getting changed every time he was riding, so this years kxf goes with hidraulic cutch can that be the problem? Eli uses the clutch so much, mabye new clutch doesn't fitted his way of ridding perfectly? I'm hopping that Eli's can charge through this last rounds as hard as he did it in Nashville
|
Casting
4/10/2019 11:03am
Ever hear of Levi Tomac? Daniel Blair seems to have the inside scoop on the hiccup Laughing

Check out the latest episode of Main Event Moto for more context
zehn
4/10/2019 11:18am
This is actually something that has come up several times on here. With a standard clutch, he could conceivably "feel" when the clutch was going away, and adjust it or use it less to preserve the bike's performance.

With the hydraulic clutch, he can't tell when it's going away, so the theory goes. I have no idea if that's true or not or if that explains anything about his inconsistencies this year (I tend to believe it is due to something else), but I've seen it discussed several times on here and it sounds plausible that perhaps some of his problems could come from the new clutch system.
milliebays
4/10/2019 11:19am
good point.

honestly, it probably doesn't help. you lose a little bit of feedback with a hydro, so you get less sense of how hard you're beating on the clutch.

The Shop

MB19
Fantasy
1616th
4/10/2019 11:32am
He admitted that when he's not comfortable he gets arm pump and locks up, so I'd think the clutch is a non issue.
Bruce372
4/10/2019 11:53am
Most of the bikes beating Tomac have hydraulic clutches
OldPro277
4/10/2019 12:34pm
Bruce372 wrote:
But those guys do not share the same riding style as Eli. There is a chance that there may be something to this theory. At least mentally if Eli has it in his head that he doesn't have a "positive feel" of the clutch,it could have an effect on how hard he pushes.... And keep in mind that there is NO way Eli (or any rider) would bash his factory machine and blame it for a poor performance.
fourfourone
4/10/2019 12:36pm
well shitttt. looks like we found the replacement for mike wiliamson
bradmx421
4/10/2019 12:39pm
Bruce372 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
But those guys do not share the same riding style as Eli. There is a chance that there may be something to this theory. At least...
But those guys do not share the same riding style as Eli. There is a chance that there may be something to this theory. At least mentally if Eli has it in his head that he doesn't have a "positive feel" of the clutch,it could have an effect on how hard he pushes.... And keep in mind that there is NO way Eli (or any rider) would bash his factory machine and blame it for a poor performance.
Chad Reed would keep it real....and he has voiced his opinions on problems with bikes in the past
Jerkolantern
4/10/2019 12:41pm
Is it even possible he burns through a new set of plates or fibers I guess in a flipping 25 minute sx race? I find that hard to believe. And I'm pretty darn smart. I think we'd see clutch smoke. And no, last week wasn't clutch smoke, we've all seen clutch smoke at mudders.
zehn
4/10/2019 12:43pm
bradmx421 wrote:
Chad Reed would keep it real....and he has voiced his opinions on problems with bikes in the past
And burned a whole lot of bridges along the way
kb228
4/10/2019 12:45pm
In his racerx interview, he flat out said hes been getting arm pump because hes not totally comfortable.

All of us have had arm pump and know what its like.

Hes on a new bike for 2019, and hes doing a hell of a lot better than the new bike in 2016.

2020 and 2021 should be business as usual.
Hudd_421
4/10/2019 12:47pm
Yes, slightly different clutch feel has been the total cause of all his lack of comfort.... for real?
OldPro277
4/10/2019 12:48pm
I don't remember Reed bashing any of his "Factory" (Yamaha ) bikes while he was getting paid by them. Maybe I'm wrong on that ,but it certainly isn't something that jumps out at me. I'm sure that most manufacturers racers contracts have a clause in there about the well-paid employee "representing the machine in the most positive way possible " or words to that effect.

Be all that as it may--this is about Eli and I just don't see him being a guy that's going to shift blame onto the equipment
4/10/2019 12:50pm
bradmx421 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Yup. Chad had no ride one season removed from a Championship.
OldPro277
4/10/2019 12:52pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
Yes, slightly different clutch feel has been the total cause of all his lack of comfort.... for real?
Unless you've raced at that level ,its really hard to make judgement on what can,or won't, make a few hundreds of a second per lap difference. I've known guys that have gotten thrown off their game by a lot less than that over the years.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/10/2019 1:00pm
kb228 wrote:
In his racerx interview, he flat out said hes been getting arm pump because hes not totally comfortable. All of us have had arm pump and...
In his racerx interview, he flat out said hes been getting arm pump because hes not totally comfortable.

Hes on a new bike for 2019, and hes doing a hell of a lot better than the new bike in 2016.

I can't even imagine arm pump at that level. It's dangerous enough for the average Joe. At the pro level? No thanks. I want none of that. Potential to end careers for guys that try to push through it.
Sleapy
4/10/2019 1:11pm
kb228 wrote:
In his racerx interview, he flat out said hes been getting arm pump because hes not totally comfortable. All of us have had arm pump and...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I can't even imagine arm pump at that level. It's dangerous enough for the average Joe. At the pro level? No thanks. I want none of...
I can't even imagine arm pump at that level. It's dangerous enough for the average Joe. At the pro level? No thanks. I want none of that. Potential to end careers for guys that try to push through it.
Yeah, it was so bad he couldn't even jump the finish at Houston in the first Main Event, and he's probably in the best shape of everyone on the track. Something's up and I highly, HIGHLY doubt it's just a clutch.
Hudd_421
4/10/2019 1:12pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Unless you've raced at that level ,its really hard to make judgement on what can,or won't, make a few hundreds of a second per lap difference...
Unless you've raced at that level ,its really hard to make judgement on what can,or won't, make a few hundreds of a second per lap difference. I've known guys that have gotten thrown off their game by a lot less than that over the years.
You all read wayyy to much into everything. I'm pretty sure comfort is more found in the chassis and suspension department. I've never heard of anyone washing a front or being afraid to push due to a slightly less modular feeling clutch.

Eli's problem is that he isn't ok with going fast unless he's in his comfort window. I feel the same, I can't push unless im comfortable in the conditions I'm riding.
OldPro277
4/10/2019 1:31pm
Only "reading into" what you wrote. You questioned the fact that a different clutch feel could throw a guy like Eli out of his comfort zone, and I responded that yes I definitely think it could. Is it going to slow his laptimes down by 2 or 3 seconds ?? No. But several hundredths ? very possibly. Like I've said ,I've seen lesser things have bigger impacts during the 40 years I've been around the sport.

Your last sentence is a bit contradictory--- you agree that Eli can't push unless he's in his comfort window, so why is it so hard to understand that a funny feeling clutch may be enough to get him outside that comfort window ??

Now , on the other hand , it may NOT be the clutch at all , I would guess that there are less than 5 people in the world that know what the real story is behind his inconsistency-- and I'm also guessing the NONE of those 5 post on Vital,lol
Slay896
4/10/2019 1:50pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Only "reading into" what you wrote. You questioned the fact that a different clutch feel could throw a guy like Eli out of his comfort zone...
Only "reading into" what you wrote. You questioned the fact that a different clutch feel could throw a guy like Eli out of his comfort zone, and I responded that yes I definitely think it could. Is it going to slow his laptimes down by 2 or 3 seconds ?? No. But several hundredths ? very possibly. Like I've said ,I've seen lesser things have bigger impacts during the 40 years I've been around the sport.

Your last sentence is a bit contradictory--- you agree that Eli can't push unless he's in his comfort window, so why is it so hard to understand that a funny feeling clutch may be enough to get him outside that comfort window ??

Now , on the other hand , it may NOT be the clutch at all , I would guess that there are less than 5 people in the world that know what the real story is behind his inconsistency-- and I'm also guessing the NONE of those 5 post on Vital,lol
Well, Eli's style of riding in the turns is so agresive, maybe that's the case, he's not feeling good with the hydro clutch feeling, he saig in racerx interview that he was not feeling good, at that level if the clutch is not reaponding as you want can make you go stiffer on the bike, and feeling that you can't push as hard as he wants, but anyways, I think also that is something more in there, not training in colorado all the winter, new bike in 2016 wasn't fitting good and the year later was fitting perfectly, I really think that Eli needed that real main event win as he said in racerx interview, It's game on for him from now to Ironman
Slay896
4/10/2019 1:53pm
zehn wrote:
This is actually something that has come up several times on here. With a standard clutch, he could conceivably "feel" when the clutch was going away...
This is actually something that has come up several times on here. With a standard clutch, he could conceivably "feel" when the clutch was going away, and adjust it or use it less to preserve the bike's performance.

With the hydraulic clutch, he can't tell when it's going away, so the theory goes. I have no idea if that's true or not or if that explains anything about his inconsistencies this year (I tend to believe it is due to something else), but I've seen it discussed several times on here and it sounds plausible that perhaps some of his problems could come from the new clutch system.
Well that's what I looking to explain, it's true that ia something else in there, maybe not training as much in colorado as last years don't know
Slay896
4/10/2019 1:57pm
kb228 wrote:

So 2020 will be game on for him?
mxbrian15
4/10/2019 2:48pm
well shitttt. looks like we found the replacement for mike wiliamson
I just spit my coffee all over my screen lol
ruy
4/10/2019 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2019 3:33pm
Is mental.

He needs another video form JS7 talking good about Eli, and the win in the next race is in the pocket
deluxeman
4/10/2019 6:28pm
If it really is a Hydro clutch issue they could fix it pretty easily by converting it back to a cable set up.
Lloydcarter
4/10/2019 7:41pm
deluxeman wrote:
If it really is a Hydro clutch issue they could fix it pretty easily by converting it back to a cable set up.
Kawi wouldn’t let that happen when they’re trying to sell the new bikes
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
4/10/2019 8:00pm
bradmx421 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Yup. Chad had no ride one season removed from a Championship.
I dont get this whole burnt bridges theory with Reed though.

* He was vocal about the carbed yamaha. He was prooved right and he went back to factory again yamaha later
* Wasn't comfy on the '10 Kawi. Got off it then went back and got some factory help again later with 22 Motorsports
* Dont recall a bad thing being said about the suzuki the first time. Back on a factory bike now
* Didnt like the last generation of Honda, not sure if the bridge was officialyl burnt though.

Im just not seeing all the burnt bridges, everything comes back around it seems, atleast with Chad anyways

Post a reply to: Eli Tomac Problem Found

The Latest