Eli Tomac MTB

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2020 6:03 AM

Popped in to my local bike shop this morning and in there I saw something I’d never seen before. Photo
A Tomac MTB. I wasn’t aware they even existed and then I noticed the model name was ‘Eli’.

The Guy who owns it is aware who John & Eli are, but not much else, he’s not in the MX game. Bare in mind this is in the UK, so not something known to many over here unless you’re involved in the sport.

The thing is a 2001 model and it’s immaculate.
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

9/26/2020 6:20 AM

In this condition that must be a pretty cool collector for MXers I guess. I never saw a mx rider with his complete name on a MTB series.

|

9/26/2020 7:08 AM

His dad John Tomac had a line of bikes back in the 90s- 2000s. He named a model after his son, Eli. They stopped making Tomac bikes a few years ago.

|

9/26/2020 8:18 AM

What was the condition of the clutch? 😬

|

9/26/2020 8:21 AM

This thread needs more Tioga Disk drive

|

9/26/2020 8:45 AM

Tomac made a decent dh bike for a little

|

9/26/2020 8:52 AM

i take this for a spin, every now and again....
Photo

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

9/26/2020 8:56 AM

My brothers friend has this hanging in his garage.

Photo

|

9/26/2020 10:09 AM

crowe660 wrote:

Way to "Kamikaze" this thread, haha!

|

9/26/2020 12:22 PM

ayearinmx wrote:

i take this for a spin, every now and again....
Photo

Ah, BPW, was due to go there in the next month or two for the first time, but ‘Rona has scuppered that for now.
I take it you ride in Friston forest too as you’re from my neck of the woods?

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

9/26/2020 7:28 PM

crowe660 wrote:

This is probably lost on 98% of the people reading this thread!

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

9/26/2020 10:59 PM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

Ah, BPW, was due to go there in the next month or two for the first time, but ‘Rona has scuppered that for now.
I take it you ride in Friston forest too as you’re from my neck of the woods?

yea that's my main stomping ground when i'm in England. Great place.

And yes, BPW situation is a bit of a mess. Hate to see it because they've done an excellent job since they opened, keep improving the trails and the infrastructure, hope this doesn't affect them longterm

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

9/27/2020 7:00 PM

280driver wrote:

What was the condition of the clutch? 😬

That is funny.

|

9/27/2020 7:27 PM

crowe660 wrote:

hamncheeze wrote:

That whirring sound was it going over their heads.

|

9/28/2020 5:21 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

Popped in to my local bike shop this morning and in there I saw something I’d never seen before. Photo
A Tomac MTB. I wasn’t aware they even existed and then I noticed the model name was ‘Eli’.

The Guy who owns it is aware who John & Eli are, but not much else, he’s not in the MX game. Bare in mind this is in the UK, so not something known to many over here unless you’re involved in the sport.

The thing is a 2001 model and it’s immaculate.
Photo
Photo
Photo

That bike is so cool but what a mess by today’s standards.

|

9/28/2020 8:26 AM

If I remember correctly they were designed and built by the guy that built Manitou suspension forks and frames. A local dealer carried them for a while. Cool bikes but they were $$$.

|

9/28/2020 8:39 AM

Tioga Disk? Maybe a Shimano chain-wheel set?

Wasn't there a Farmer John Tioga tire?

|

9/28/2020 9:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2020 9:39 AM

Photo

Got this thing pretty early on in my DH days, still it was way behind the times at that point. Think I paid 200$ and the fork broke as soon as I tried to dissasemble. The fork pictured is actually a mash up of a 2004 and 2011 888. i had one good day riding it in all, then sold it for 400$ a couple years ago.

This is a Tomac MOAH
|

9/28/2020 1:28 PM

deluxeman wrote:

If I remember correctly they were designed and built by the guy that built Manitou suspension forks and frames. A local dealer carried them for a while. Cool bikes but they were $$$.

I didn't recall Doug Bradbury of Manitou being involved with Tomac bikes. I thought he had retired by that point, but just going by recollection.

The other moto connection with Tomac bikes is that Joel Smith, who ran the brand for a while (owned it, while licensing the name from JT I think), is Malcolm Smith's son.

|

9/28/2020 1:57 PM

Question wrote:

In this condition that must be a pretty cool collector for MXers I guess. I never saw a mx rider with his complete name on a MTB series.

Look at the date the bike is from, and how old Eli is now. He was a kid when this one was introduced. smile

|

9/28/2020 1:57 PM

BigBoreFan58 wrote:

Tioga Disk? Maybe a Shimano chain-wheel set?

Wasn't there a Farmer John Tioga tire?

Yep.

|

9/28/2020 1:59 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

Ha...funny. I think I did a photo shoot for Tioga with Johnny back in the day.

|

9/28/2020 2:02 PM

crowe660 wrote:

hamncheeze wrote:

Photo
|

If you love it lube it

9/28/2020 2:03 PM

Top End wrote: Photo

Is that the one he raced at the Durango Worlds in the downhill class?

|

9/28/2020 4:30 PM

I was at the World Cup in Houffalize Belgium in 1994 and watched Johnny T racing the Raleigh with the Tioga Disc. I can't begin to tell you how loud that disc was. You could hear him cranking it a half a mountain away. He crushed the Pro class at that race.

Photo

|

9/28/2020 5:15 PM

Man, bikes have changed so much. John Tomac seems like such a good dude. Cool bike!

|

9/28/2020 10:50 PM

I have Tomac grips on my old Diamond Back

|

9/29/2020 3:11 AM

Crossup wrote:

I was at the World Cup in Houffalize Belgium in 1994 and watched Johnny T racing the Raleigh with the Tioga Disc. I can't begin to tell you how loud that disc was. You could hear him cranking it a half a mountain away. He crushed the Pro class at that race.

Photo

Such a great time in MTB. I had a Raleigh Technium for a couple years back in the day. I had so many magazine pages of Tomac on that bike taped to my bedroom wall.

|

9/29/2020 6:21 AM

Does the Tomac brand still exist today ? I had no idea he had his own bike brand.

|

9/30/2020 2:24 PM

Bramlett321 wrote:

Does the Tomac brand still exist today ? I had no idea he had his own bike brand.

It's been out of production for awhile. It was around, then went away, then came back for a short bit when Joel Smith took it on, and then faded away again. John Tomac was riding Specialized the last I saw, and Joel Smith is now with Alchemy. Note that in all those old pics, John Tomac was in bell and oakley, just like Eli is today.

|