Eli

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2015 7:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2015 7:34 PM

Obviously there is a lot of hype and expectations of Eli at the start of each series, and he deserves the attention he gets. One thing that I have seen posted numerous times is that he has the most raw speed out of any rider on the gate. I'm just curious as to how people are claiming that? It's obvious why RC is the "G.O.A.T" or Stew was once the "FMOTP" but, I really don't know at what point in time Eli has gained the fastest guy title. If I say "he only has two SX wins after 13 rounds" people will think I'm taking a dig at him, but in reality thats what he has. People argue that the fastest lap time determines the fastest rider or the person who finishes first is the fastest. So, how does Eli get dubbed the "fastest guy out there" at this point in time?

|

4/2/2015 7:40 PM

Because when he's on, he's going "ludicrous speed". He's obviously been off this year but he's still damn fast. He'll either figure it out on red or start again next year on a different color: that could be a contributing problem. He needs to figure out starts and how to stay off the dirt. But we can work with speed.

|

4/2/2015 7:41 PM

I'm with you on that one, waffles.

I still don't know why he is always included in the title contender talk. I hope he proves me wrong, but his first two seasons with the big boys haven't impressed me much. At all. And I am a fan, I really like Eli.

|

4/2/2015 7:43 PM

dirtnapper wrote:

I'm with you on that one, waffles.

I still don't know why he is always included in the title contender talk. I hope he proves ...more

I've been critical of him in the past, I guess I'm more of the Roczen fanboy. But he deserves to be in the title contender talk, more so than Barcia.

|

4/2/2015 7:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2015 7:48 PM

Crisp BRAAAP! wrote:

Because when he's on, he's going "ludicrous speed". He's obviously been off this year but he's still damn fast. He'll either ...more

But see, when was he "on?" Once during the nationals last year and twice this year so far? 3 races and he's the fastest guy? Only other dominating performance I can think of is his rookie year at Hangtown and at Des nations, with Roczen right on him. I know he's fast, I'd be a fool to say otherwise. I just don't think he should be labeled as the fastest right now.

|

4/2/2015 7:50 PM

He's got a style that looks fast. He sometimes backs it up with the fastest laptime or an occasional win.

Not everyone can be the fastest most of the time. When you throw out appearance and replace it with reality you get RYAN DUNGEY!!

|

4/2/2015 7:58 PM

Crisp BRAAAP! wrote:

Because when he's on, he's going "ludicrous speed". He's obviously been off this year but he's still damn fast. He'll either ...more

I think you're right but when he gets to THIS level
Photo
is that where he hits the ground hard?

|

4/2/2015 8:10 PM

How many 450 class winners have there been in the last 2 years? I count 8 with villopoto and stewart out and milsaps and reed not really there that leaves 4. Basically those are the only guys in the hunt for a title and tomac happens to be one of them.

Plus he took it to Roczen outdoors in 2013.

Thats why he's in the championship talk. I think its hard to underestimate how badly his 2014 season has set him back really and thats the main problem. That and he gets fire in his eyes too often when he starts 5th or worse and doesnt let the races come to him leading to stupid mistakes.

|

4/2/2015 8:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2015 8:13 PM

he was injured for most of his first 450 year and is in his second, possibly a learning curve still going on. i like his style. im hoping he can win some outdoor races again this season.

|

4/2/2015 8:30 PM

I think most are referring to the raw speed he poseses when he can put all the peices together. Some races he seems to be out there racing at the same pace as everyone in the top ten. Some times he gets a bad start or eats shit and has to hustle threw the pack to salvage points. When he's had to do that he is really moving. Almost like he turned his brain off and did what just came natural.

Then there are others where he is hauling for a couple laps and something happens and he turns it back a couple notches. Almost like he realized tonight's not my night.

If he could get better starts and keep it on 2 wheels his results would probably be better than what he has so far and with the confidence that brings you would see more of that raw speed. Dungey has raced pretty flawlessly this season and you have to follow suit if you wanna beat him. Eli has shown more overall speed than most but I think he has to figure out the mental side of things which takes time. Once that's buttoned up I'm sure he will be tough to beat.

|

4/2/2015 8:35 PM

He'll win some races outdoors but I don't know if he'll ever win that 450 title till he's more consistent

|

Who Ever Dies With The Most Toys Wins...
No Point Waiting Till Then... Newman Wins

4/2/2015 10:00 PM

He will show his true speed outdoors, that's where he shines (and where he's typically consistent). He's always had a sketchy side to him in SX.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

Snapchat: gdawson2

4/3/2015 12:51 AM

Because on a good day Eli can gap Dungey, Canard and Ken, he can make them look like little school girls who just learnt to ride.

|

4/3/2015 1:20 AM

Last motocross race, he came back from last to fixe again the same guys villopoto is struggling with.

|

4/3/2015 4:33 AM

motokiwi wrote:

Because on a good day Eli can gap Dungey, Canard and Ken, he can make them look like little school girls who just learnt to ...more

I agree with this. His good days have just been very far apart this season. But when he's comfortable, he's fast.

His "title contender" talk came partly from his 250 outdoor series as well. He had some insane rides to beat KRoc, Baggett, Barcia and several others.

I agree that he belongs in the title contender talks. Plus, he certainly has the drive to find that top step.

|

4/3/2015 4:45 AM

Starts and mistakes...in between that he's been flying...I think he may have passed more guys than anyone this season......his style is loose and when he finds the flow he's as fast as anyone...too bad too, this year has been a snooze fest. I wish he could have made it more exciting to watch. I still haven't watched last weeks race yet....

|

Riding since 1977.
Fan of the sport.
2019 CRF250R
2018 CRF450R
2003 CR125R

4/3/2015 4:59 AM

Crisp BRAAAP! wrote:

scooter5002 wrote:

I think you're right but when he gets to THIS level
Photo
is that where he hits the ground hard?

I see what you did there.

|

4/3/2015 8:28 AM

I think tomac is so talented that he does good in sx but his natural abilities are in mx. His stamina and line choice outdoors is where I see his real speed. The ability to push so hard all the way to the end is going to be the greatest test for dungey this upcoming mx season. I know there are many other guys but my opinion it's going to be a dungey vs tomac mx season.

|

4/3/2015 8:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2015 9:03 AM

motokiwi wrote:

Because on a good day Eli can gap Dungey, Canard and Ken, he can make them look like little school girls who just learnt to ...more

Gap those guys "like little school girls who just learnt to ride"? You are delusional. On the rare chance the planets line up and he gets a start...he can beat them, but on a regular basis...no.

I'll admit Eli is fast, and very talented...and while he's arguably a contender, I don't see it being this year, in SX (that's a given) or Outdoors. Maybe in 2016 he'll begin to be more consistant, and truly be a contender for a championship instead of a contender for a podium position.

|

4/3/2015 9:09 AM

motokiwi wrote:

Kind of like what Dungey does to him every week?

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

4/3/2015 9:12 AM

motokiwi wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

I agree with this. His good days have just been very far apart this season. But when he's comfortable, he's fast.

His "title ...more

Yes, I remember my jaw dropping wathing Eli on some of those 250 races. When Tomac and his 450 become one...He's lethal and amazing to watch.

|

4/3/2015 9:22 AM

Even though his SX results this year haven't really been that super good. I mean it's kinda still his rookie 450 season so getting 2 wins so far ain't that bad and the season is not over yet ..
But to me he is showing to be really comfortable on his bike now, like the whole whoops wheelying thing he did multiple times now (Daytona, Bercy, Last week or the week before can't remember...).
I like many others here think he'll be better outdoors this year then indoors. Ofcourse the Dungey we are seeing this year with the new KTM is a beast but he did get beat by Roczen last season for the outdoor title so yeah..
All i want to add is that i am looking forward to GP's and usa Outdoors right now. Pretty done with SX.. Only the east / west shootout thing to go to look forward to really. Allthough it's gonna be cool to see Webb ride some more SX in a few weeks that kids a beast to.

|

4/3/2015 12:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2015 12:55 PM

You kinda said it in your first sentence: It's hype.

He does gets lots of Fastest Lap awards in practice, which is easy to equate with 'raw speed'. So when he goes out and puts down the fastest lap in a main, to back up his practice lap, we say Yeah, that makes sense. When he doesn't get it done in the main: He's just not feeling it, watch out next week.

But he also carries with him a history of being The Fast Guy. That means that when Roczen has a faster lap, we can look back to 2013, to a time when Tomac was definitely faster, and remind ourselves of how dangerous he can be, and probably will be again. We know he has that potential. When Dungey is faster, as someone without that history of being The Fast Guy, we think it's just a matter of time before he isn't.

Fastest Single Main Event Lap, vs. Ryan Dungey
First 6 rounds: Eli (4/6)
Next 6 rounds: RD (5/6)

But during those 'next' 6, Eli qualified #1 a bunch.

Plus, again, he just looks really fast.

|

4/3/2015 1:07 PM

motokiwi wrote:

All of the names you posted can do this on a good day. So can chad, so can James.

|

4/3/2015 2:32 PM

I like Eli, but it's not like he's 3 seconds a lap faster than the next fastest guy all day, couple 10th's maybe, he just looks fast and flashy like Stewart.

|

Now don't swig it boy! just a open your craw sows I can pour it right through.

4/3/2015 2:43 PM

motokiwi wrote:

I'm trying to remember if I have ever seen him pass and gap Canard. Drawing a blank. Anybody?

|

4/3/2015 5:12 PM

Eli is the next guy in the sport.

|

2013 KTM 250SX on Ohlins, 314cc built stroker engine with 56 very smooth and easy to ride rwhp.

4/3/2015 5:19 PM

Suns_PSD wrote:

Eli is the next guy in the sport.

He's one of a few if he can keep it on two wheels. Dungey is what, 25-26? He has at least two more seasons of peak performance in front of him. Canard as well. Musquin is stepping up next year too and hes looked more than ready for the 450.

|

4/3/2015 6:42 PM

Flatliner wrote:

He's one of a few if he can keep it on two wheels. Dungey is what, 25-26? He has at least two more seasons of peak performance ...more

Musquin is the same age, if not older than Dungey. He's going to have to come out swinging to stay in it.

|

4/3/2015 6:52 PM

GD2 wrote:

He will show his true speed outdoors, that's where he shines (and where he's typically consistent). He's always had a sketchy ...more

You realize he raced the whole outdoor season last year right?

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....