Eleven 10 Mods Story - Holy Crap!

ML512
Fantasy
36th
11/24/2015 9:45am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2015 2:06pm
Racer X has this new story out where Steve Matthes talks to Nathan Alexander and Alex Martin about their time at Eleven 10 mods... It's an eye opener! I literally feel so bad for Nathan and I'm only half-way through it!

http://racerxonline.com/2015/11/24/eleven-10ths

Warning, it's long, but good.
|
dl117
Fantasy
2546th
11/24/2015 9:46am
just read through that also......WOW
11/24/2015 10:06am
I'm just starting to read it, and lo-and-behold, the one name I don't see contributing is Chad Sanner.
Xeno
11/24/2015 10:24am
Wow, what a train wreck. Too bad there was no interview with Sanner.

The Shop

IWreckALot
11/24/2015 10:45am
Haha. I'm reading it now but this is kinda funny to envision.

"I think around High Point that year, Sanner was pissed about something. I think Durham rode press day and said he hated his bike. “This bike sucks. I like my practice bike better” kind of stuff. So he made Nate switch it over, but before Nate did that Chad came to the shop. He was pissed off at Darryn, and he just kicked the bikes. And they were set up like dominos, so he kicked one over and it knocked all four over! I remember he would just get mad at stuff while working and he would chuck a carburetor through a wall.

We ended up getting there and Sanner was all cool like nothing happened even though we weren’t supposed to be there! That was weird.
Alexander"
motomike894
11/24/2015 11:07am
Well I know Chad Sanner fucked my buddy this summer, he listed a FMF pipe for sale on facebook.

My buddy western unioned Chad the money he told my friend he didn't have paypal, well guess what never came the pipe, after couple weeks my friend kept trying to text and email him he said ups lost it and he was trying to figure it out, after about 4-6 weeks still nothing resolved he basically stopped answering my buddy.

Chad had told him he felt bad and ups wouldn't do anything last time he got ahold of him so he was going to give him some yz rims he had well that never happened either.

My friend couldn't get anywhere supposedly with western union and getting a refund, etc.

Then my buddy tried messaging him on facebook, commenting on his photos he then blocked my buddy and will not answer any of his calls, texts, emails, etc. etc.

SO my buddy is out $165.00 and he could really use the money or at least actually got the pipe.
IWreckALot
11/24/2015 11:18am
Sounds like Sanner is a snake oil salesman. Wish he could have contributed to the story so we could have his side of the story.

This is a great article for the guys that come on every so often wanting to be a mechanic for a team or even anyone considering the privateer lifestyle. Those dudes did some real roughing and the article makes it seem like they just took it all in and did the best they could.

That's a good read.
Rich Piano
11/24/2015 11:25am
Sounds like most race teams trying to make it.

I was hoping the money troubles were from 20K a night hookers for the riders or something.

All I got from it was if that McDonalds probably has a better future for most than motocross.

Olson
11/24/2015 11:34am
Sounds like a healthy environment. Heard about those days before on pulp. If it would've happened to anyone else it could have ended with murder.
iudi2006
Fantasy
346th
11/24/2015 11:44am
I've met many people with the characteristics that this Sanner guy has. They never change. Usually condescending and can bullshit better than anyone, but when it comes to perseverance and dedication its never there. Same as when a woman marries a douchebag that hits her and thinks he'll change, he won't. Congrats to Alex for sticking it out with that situation for the amount of time that he did, shows how much tolerance he had in order to do whatever it took to keep racing.
hvaughn88
11/24/2015 11:48am
I'm just starting to read it, and lo-and-behold, the one name I don't see contributing is Chad Sanner.
He was probably running late
jpatz319
Fantasy
1285th
11/24/2015 11:52am
I dont want to start anything but there is a whole back story the Eleven-10 team and what went on behind closed doors. The team was even more of wreck than the interview shows. The whole Eleven-10 team was comprised of good people but some of the went down the wrong path.
Matthes
11/24/2015 11:53am
For the record I reached out to Chad a few times to get him to verify/give his take on things and he never got back to me.

The story isn't about Chad, he did the best he could with what he had I suppose..it's about Filthy, Alex, Nate and Billy all doing anything and everything to do what they love. And they all made it to the highest levels of their profession. I tip my hat to them, others would have quit.
Rich Piano
11/24/2015 12:11pm
JGR needs to keep Filthy on a ride forever.
Your review podcast with him was awesome.
Just for the stories alone, and LOTS of laughs.

BAMX
11/24/2015 12:12pm
That was a good read. You have to give those guys a ton of respect for soldiering through it. A lot of people see the flashy bike and nice pit setups and think that these aftermarket companies are raking it in. The reality is way different. From what I have seen, the only guys who made a ton are guys like Tom White who sold to a corporation at the right time.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
11/24/2015 12:16pm
A lot of perseverance to succeed after being in that situation, good for those guys to stick with it. You would think with Alex's dads connections (former factory off road racer, current national track owner) he would've been able to line up something better than that after the first year of living that?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
11/24/2015 12:28pm
Thanks Steve for continuing to try to get the interesting stories that normally wouldn't make it onto a magazine out in the open. Very interesting read for us fans.
newmann
11/24/2015 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 12:39pm
Website is all fucky on my junky old computer. Can't get but part ways through.

I offered to help the guys out at Freestone one year loaning them my motorhome to hang out in throughout the day. I had already bought tickets for the whole family but when I got to the track I wasn't allowed into the pits without purchasing pit access which included tickets. Sucked because I would have rather given that few hundred extra bucks to the Eleven 10 guys.

Alex was very organized in everything he did. Food, rest, checking over the bike. Very impressed with him.

Phil was like gimme a bike, I'm going to go holeshot those PC and Geico fuggers and show em' who's boss. Very impressed with him because that's exactly what he did!Laughing

Phil's mechanic Hoss(?) had me stressing. That dude was going over everything between motos with a fine tooth comb. Disassembling the throttle to clean and lube it when he needed to be worrying about how to get another gallon of fuel in a stock tank so he wouldn't run out mid moto again. That bike was a rocketship and burnt more fuel than any bike I've ever seen. I helped him heat the tank, pressurize it and cooled in in the ice chest while blown up fat. Had to remove the insulators on the frame and force it back in the frame rails...Smile Filled up a top off jug with some frosty brew to take to the gate. I could hear riders headed out for the sighting lap before Phil's bike was fired up. Phil got off to another good start and was running pretty good until the bike broke.Sad

Good times with a good group of young men out on the road living the dream. Yes, I was jealous. Just a shame to see them trying to make ends meet when they were pulling holeshots on teams with multi million dollar budgets.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/24/2015 12:43pm
This shit is gold

"But the race motor that I did have early on in supercross, he gave it to some amateur kid that was going to go race Oak Hill or something like that. So he gave it to the amateur kid and didn’t tell me. And I think I literally had a bone-stock bike at Jacksonville."

"I remember just going to the post office and shipping out a package for him, and he would give me, like, five bucks, and it was thirty-five dollars to ship the package. I was like, all right, I’ll just cover it—no worries."
peelout
11/24/2015 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 12:55pm
wow... what a shit show and inspiration to privateers everywhere

thanks for sharing the stories Mathis, that was an awesome read
Gebken40
11/24/2015 12:59pm
I'm not even surprised about the funding and overall situation.... but what does surprise me is that they continued to compete on the "ticking-time-bomb" equipment after all of the issues they had. Even more so if the guys were paying to be on the team and buying their own bikes. Should have just taken their stuff and went at it on their own.
Rich Piano
11/24/2015 1:02pm
newmann wrote:
Website is all fucky on my junky old computer. Can't get but part ways through. I offered to help the guys out at Freestone one year...
Website is all fucky on my junky old computer. Can't get but part ways through.

I offered to help the guys out at Freestone one year loaning them my motorhome to hang out in throughout the day. I had already bought tickets for the whole family but when I got to the track I wasn't allowed into the pits without purchasing pit access which included tickets. Sucked because I would have rather given that few hundred extra bucks to the Eleven 10 guys.

Alex was very organized in everything he did. Food, rest, checking over the bike. Very impressed with him.

Phil was like gimme a bike, I'm going to go holeshot those PC and Geico fuggers and show em' who's boss. Very impressed with him because that's exactly what he did!Laughing

Phil's mechanic Hoss(?) had me stressing. That dude was going over everything between motos with a fine tooth comb. Disassembling the throttle to clean and lube it when he needed to be worrying about how to get another gallon of fuel in a stock tank so he wouldn't run out mid moto again. That bike was a rocketship and burnt more fuel than any bike I've ever seen. I helped him heat the tank, pressurize it and cooled in in the ice chest while blown up fat. Had to remove the insulators on the frame and force it back in the frame rails...Smile Filled up a top off jug with some frosty brew to take to the gate. I could hear riders headed out for the sighting lap before Phil's bike was fired up. Phil got off to another good start and was running pretty good until the bike broke.Sad

Good times with a good group of young men out on the road living the dream. Yes, I was jealous. Just a shame to see them trying to make ends meet when they were pulling holeshots on teams with multi million dollar budgets.
Are Big bores running 19,000 RPM thirsty?
LOL
RPM68
11/24/2015 1:04pm
That was a killer story, I love hearing Your Pods Steve, but a good read is tough to beat!
JerseyFresh
11/24/2015 1:09pm
Crazy shit. Guy was prob bangin dope on the reggie.
hvaughn88
11/24/2015 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 1:20pm
Rich Piano wrote:
JGR needs to keep Filthy on a ride forever.
Your review podcast with him was awesome.
Just for the stories alone, and LOTS of laughs.

I agree. Ya know, now that I think about it, Phil is the first rider that comes to my mind when someone mentions JGR. I'm sure barcia and peick are making way more money, but Phil is the first one I think of.
JerseyFresh
11/24/2015 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2015 1:23pm
Philthy is the man. I remember seeing him at Sleepy Hollow on an 80.
newmann
11/24/2015 1:27pm
Rich Piano wrote:
Are Big bores running 19,000 RPM thirsty?
LOL
You do realize that the AMA tore them down and found them to be legal.
11/24/2015 1:31pm
Interesting that Nicoletti and Martin both had doctor friends paying for a lot of their stuff.

Why were the engines going bang so often?
JerseyFresh
11/24/2015 1:40pm
Interesting that Nicoletti and Martin both had doctor friends paying for a lot of their stuff.

I thought about the Dr. thing too. I wonder if the Dr's do it as kind of long term investment. Keep the guy racing and he'll keep destroying himself haha.
mxtech1
11/24/2015 2:02pm

I thought about the Dr. thing too. I wonder if the Dr's do it as kind of long term investment. Keep the guy racing and he'll...
I thought about the Dr. thing too. I wonder if the Dr's do it as kind of long term investment. Keep the guy racing and he'll keep destroying himself haha.
Only a smart move if they were confident the riders could afford to maintain health insurance throughout their career. Definitely a risky move during that point in their careers.

Post a reply to: Eleven 10 Mods Story - Holy Crap!

The Latest