Electric ktm mini?

Meister
Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 1:03pm
Anyone bought one for their kid yet? My daughter loves everything about Moto, but her PW has been a pain in my ass. Wouldn't mind skipping the rest of the gas powered 50s too lol.
|
3/30/2020 7:38pm
No experience with a KTM e-mini, but am absolutely flummoxed that anybody finds a pw50 a pain in the ass.

I mean, they might be the easiest motorcycle on earth to own, scarcely need maintenance and don't even have a chain to lube. And I think if required I could do a full engine on one in less than an hour.

Now the fast 50s, otoh, I can definitely see wanting to avoid for maintenance reasons.
Hammer 663s
3/30/2020 7:48pm
I've seen a few of the Husky ebike at the track. Feedback is that the kids love them. They look plenty fast too. I'd buy one over a 2 stroke any day. Frigging 50/65 race bikes are a lot of maintenance. Glad those days are over.

Hammer
Meister
3/30/2020 7:56pm
Dirty, let me explain...

For my daughter's 3rd bday, I uhhh.. jumped the gun. Lol. I chose to buy a brand new one (18) to avoid other people's headaches. I bought it early April, did the break in procedure. Gave it to her April 25th.. 30 minutes putting around my parents yard, it locked up. Tight. Called dealer and they asked me to bring it up. I did, they rebuilt the trashed top end with no explanation as to why it happened but they said it was getting oil fine.

That took about a month.

I then decided to park it tucked away because I felt I may have had her on it prematurely.

Her 4th birthday I let her ride it again.. 45 minutes in, it dies. I thought maybe she hit the switch, go over to restart. Nothing. 1 minute later, go to try again, locked up tight.

Let it cool and I could turn it over by hand, so as it cooled it loosened enough to move the kicker..

Got pissed and shoved it in the corner and bought her an lt50 quad to play on.

End of the month she turns 5, and she rides her own snowmobile, quad, and the neighbors pw, and any bicycle she can fit on.

I'm not dead set on her racing (for fun, only if she wants), but if she did, I think they'll have a spot for her on the gate.. I just want her to have something to ride, and even considered a 4t 50, but then thought electric might be cool..

The PW is going to a buddy whose a professional and he's going to rebuild it from the bottom up and it'll be for sale.. it's still literally brand new aside from the dust and dusted motor..

The Shop

Meister
3/30/2020 8:00pm
For the record, I could probably rebuild it myself, but I'm over it.

Gimme a yz250 and I'll have her done in no time.
liver
3/30/2020 8:42pm
I know a kid with one, he likes it much more than his cobra 50, it Visually looks much easier for him to handle, his lap times are a solid 10 secs faster... however, on full power he might get 15-20mins out of it, then, with a 120VAC power source, it takes 1.25 hrs to charge.... so, the bike is not for everyone
3/30/2020 9:05pm
15 to 20 minutes, and then over an hour to charge? And hour and 15 minutes of a generator running burning fuel? No thanks for any battery powered bikes.
ElliotB16
3/31/2020 7:16am
I’d love the idea of putting my kid on a electric KTM if the price wasn’t an issue.
Question
3/31/2020 7:36am
Meister wrote:
Dirty, let me explain... For my daughter's 3rd bday, I uhhh.. jumped the gun. Lol. I chose to buy a brand new one (18) to avoid...
Dirty, let me explain...

For my daughter's 3rd bday, I uhhh.. jumped the gun. Lol. I chose to buy a brand new one (18) to avoid other people's headaches. I bought it early April, did the break in procedure. Gave it to her April 25th.. 30 minutes putting around my parents yard, it locked up. Tight. Called dealer and they asked me to bring it up. I did, they rebuilt the trashed top end with no explanation as to why it happened but they said it was getting oil fine.

That took about a month.

I then decided to park it tucked away because I felt I may have had her on it prematurely.

Her 4th birthday I let her ride it again.. 45 minutes in, it dies. I thought maybe she hit the switch, go over to restart. Nothing. 1 minute later, go to try again, locked up tight.

Let it cool and I could turn it over by hand, so as it cooled it loosened enough to move the kicker..

End of the month she turns 5, and she rides her own snowmobile, quad, and the neighbors pw, and any bicycle she can fit on.

I'm not dead set on her racing (for fun, only if she wants), but if she did, I think they'll have a spot for her on the gate.. I just want her to have something to ride, and even considered a 4t 50, but then thought electric might be cool..

The PW is going to a buddy whose a professional and he's going to rebuild it from the bottom up and it'll be for sale.. it's still literally brand new aside from the dust and dusted motor..

2 cylinders on a brand new pw in 1 hour 15 ? The positive point is she is the next james stewart Wink
oceantrav
3/31/2020 7:36am
We got one, it’s been good. Kid likes it better than his gas husky.

We have got a about 20 minutes on a sand track, but he’s pretty quick. On normal tracks we get more time.

At the track If they have motos split into like 4 groups, we just charge it for the 30-40 minutes between his motos and we’re good.
CivBars
3/31/2020 8:59am
I'm going to have a hard time not buying one for myself when I get one for my offspring! Evil
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
3/31/2020 10:43am
ElliotB16 wrote:
I’d love the idea of putting my kid on a electric KTM if the price wasn’t an issue.
For $700 more than the 50 SX it might be cheaper in the long run. No gas, maintenance costs should be less. Downside is not being able to ride as often as a gas 50.
kb228
3/31/2020 11:31am
Meister wrote:

A yz250 is easy but a pw isnt? Wat
ridermx28
3/31/2020 12:58pm
Here has been the progression for all 3 of my kids. I started them out on the Oset 12.5 when they were 2 years old, then to the Torrot E10, then the Gas Gas E12, and now my oldest the KTM SX E. The KTM is bad ass. Before I bought it I spoke with Danger boy and he confirmed it was faster than the regular KTM 50 but lacked in battery ride time. It has 6 levels and my son usually rides on 3 or 4 and we'll get about an hour of ride time at the track. It charges super quick though. Very happy with electric bikes for all the benefits: kids aren't scared of noise or power, you can adjust power, no kids burning themselves on pipes, spilling gas when tipped over, and we ride pretty much everywhere (parks, trails, our house, etc.). You'll be happy with the purchase!

BTW I have an Alta that I ride with them at the house. Cool

crusher773
3/31/2020 1:35pm
I've seen a few of the Husky ebike at the track. Feedback is that the kids love them. They look plenty fast too. I'd buy one...
I've seen a few of the Husky ebike at the track. Feedback is that the kids love them. They look plenty fast too. I'd buy one over a 2 stroke any day. Frigging 50/65 race bikes are a lot of maintenance. Glad those days are over.

Hammer
Our 65 was as reliable and solid as they come. No issues with our 50 either but it was a mini adventure which aren't as stupid.
Meister
3/31/2020 1:37pm
Meister wrote:
Dirty, let me explain... For my daughter's 3rd bday, I uhhh.. jumped the gun. Lol. I chose to buy a brand new one (18) to avoid...
Dirty, let me explain...

That took about a month.

Question wrote:

2 cylinders on a brand new pw in 1 hour 15 ? The positive point is she is the next james stewart Wink
I'm not sure what you mean by that? I honestly hope she doesn't have the urge to race like I did growing up. I just want her to have fun.
Meister
3/31/2020 1:40pm
Meister wrote:

kb228 wrote:
A yz250 is easy but a pw isnt? Wat
You're reading too far into it. I just don't wanna screw with it anymore. She's already almost too tall for it without bar mods and tall seat anyway..

Thanks for the input guys..

Sounds like if I let her play on it on modes up to 4, she'd get plenty of ride time..
Meister
3/31/2020 1:48pm
Ridermx, where did you find the gasgas and tarrot?
ridermx28
3/31/2020 2:09pm
Meister wrote:
Ridermx, where did you find the gasgas and tarrot?
I bought mine from Bill's Motorcycles in Salem Oregon and had them shipped. My buddy got in touch with a rep down here and got his from him for really cheap. The new ones are cool because you can easily swap out the battery. I also like the fact that KTM has now bought Gas Gas and hopefully will market and provide better support. I have been happy with all.

https://torrot.com/en/kids/16/134/enduro-one

Meister
3/31/2020 5:12pm
If you don't mind me asking, what kinda money? May be a cheaper viable option for what I'm trying to accomplish.
ridermx28
3/31/2020 6:21pm
Meister wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what kinda money? May be a cheaper viable option for what I'm trying to accomplish.
I paid $2000 shipped for the E10. Not sure what the new ones are going for.
Meister
3/31/2020 6:41pm
What ages did/does the bike seem adequate for in your opinion? My thought on the ktm was that she'd be on the smaller end for the bike, which could make it last a solid few years. How about the others? Im definitely not aposed to having one shipped if I'm comfortable with the fitment lasting more than a year.
ridermx28
3/31/2020 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2020 7:47pm
For my kids:

Oset 12.5: age 2 to 5 (w/ the low seat height it's great for trail riding so they don't tip it over)

Torrot E10: age 5 to 8 (current son 6)

Torrot E12: age 6 to 9 (current daughter 8)

KTM SX E: age 5 to 10 (current son 10)
Meister
3/31/2020 7:54pm
Really appreciate the insight. Bills is literally the only place I can find with the brand with only trials version in stock. I may give them a call tomorrow.
liver
3/31/2020 7:58pm
15 to 20 minutes, and then over an hour to charge? And hour and 15 minutes of a generator running burning fuel? No thanks for any...
15 to 20 minutes, and then over an hour to charge? And hour and 15 minutes of a generator running burning fuel? No thanks for any battery powered bikes.
Ummm, it’s a $5,500-6,000 bike, folks spending that kinda money on a fiddy are only looking for a Loretta’s plate with a 4’ tall 8 yr old... lol
rob27ma
4/1/2020 5:54am
Meister wrote:
Anyone bought one for their kid yet? My daughter loves everything about Moto, but her PW has been a pain in my ass. Wouldn't mind skipping...
Anyone bought one for their kid yet? My daughter loves everything about Moto, but her PW has been a pain in my ass. Wouldn't mind skipping the rest of the gas powered 50s too lol.
Just picked one up for my son who turned 7 yesterday. He's had a PW50 for the last 3 years and we had virtually no issues with it, so our experience is a little different, but would highly recommend both.

For the KTM, he just rode it for the first time yesterday and absolutely loves it. He rode for close to an hour in power level 3 and it still has a 75% charge. His riding was just in the trails behind our house, so I'm sure at a moto-track it won't last as long, but for the backyard it seems to be a great choice.

For us, one of the main reasons to go with this one was due to the noise of the gas 50's. We have 4 acres in a nice neighborhood, and with a gas bike we would be limited to how much he can ride. On the electric bike he will be able to ride anytime he wants without worrying about annoying neighbors.

The adjustable is for sure a huge advantage as well. We lowered the seat position so he fit on it a little better, and with the ability to start in power level 1 then 2 and 3, he was pretty comfortable on it within about 5 minutes. He's ridden gas 50's and was never as comfortable with the power delivery, and they were a little tall since you can't adjust the height as easily.

4/1/2020 6:36am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2020 6:38am
I picked one up as well in January for my boy who just turned 7. His progression has been stacyc > PW50 > CRF50. He's only been able to ride it in our yard track thus far due to weather and now the coronavirus but I can already tell he's much more comfortable on this machine. It's got real suspension and actual race bike ergos. The difference is night and day. As mentioned previously, the seat height adjustability is a major selling point.

Look, these are expensive minis but you either have the means purchase one or you don't. If you're looking for a competitive 50, there aren't many budget options available to begin with. Where this bike should serve him well for the next 2 or 3 seasons, I feel confident that was a sound investment.

For the guys that are charging at the track; what size generator are you using? I'm looking to get one that is as small and light as possible. I see that the charger pack is rated for 900 watts so I'm considering a 1250 watt (1K running watts) inverter generator. But perhaps a 2000W unit may be better so it's not always running full tilt?Thoughts/suggestions?
oceantrav
4/1/2020 6:44am
I use a cheap 2000 watt harbor freight generator at the track to charge. Barely can hear it.

More than half the tracks have electrical hook ups though you can just plug it into

Post a reply to: Electric ktm mini?

The Latest