Electric bikes in future mx

MaxPower
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 9:21pm
Yeah EBikes are cool. Quiet , nice power, no shift.
But you're not going to like it
Ever think about how cool a 125 sounds ripping a whoop section? Now you'll hear chain slapping and grunts from the rider trying not to swap.. A moto will sound like a soccer game with riders swearing and yelling at each other. No more pit boards. You can mention what place your rider is in as he rolls by. I'll bet they go to a belt drive because it will be quieter. Tuning your bike will be switching maps not putting a Vforce in your cylinder. You won't be going to Eric Gorr for a big bore kit. You'll be emailing some 16 year old Indian kid from Dehli instead to write you a custom software. The pits will have the most noise of the whole event from generators running to charge batteries. EBikes are coming fast. We will be wishing for a 2st vs 4st debate soon. I don't like non of it. I want box vans back and a 125 class
|
7/15/2021 11:50am
MaxPower wrote:
Yeah EBikes are cool. Quiet , nice power, no shift. But you're not going to like it Ever think about how cool a 125 sounds ripping...
Yeah EBikes are cool. Quiet , nice power, no shift.
But you're not going to like it
Ever think about how cool a 125 sounds ripping a whoop section? Now you'll hear chain slapping and grunts from the rider trying not to swap.. A moto will sound like a soccer game with riders swearing and yelling at each other. No more pit boards. You can mention what place your rider is in as he rolls by. I'll bet they go to a belt drive because it will be quieter. Tuning your bike will be switching maps not putting a Vforce in your cylinder. You won't be going to Eric Gorr for a big bore kit. You'll be emailing some 16 year old Indian kid from Dehli instead to write you a custom software. The pits will have the most noise of the whole event from generators running to charge batteries. EBikes are coming fast. We will be wishing for a 2st vs 4st debate soon. I don't like non of it. I want box vans back and a 125 class
things change in life no matter if you like it or not, I'm sure the same was said when they went from horse and buggy to the automobile.......
8500rpm
7/15/2021 11:54am
No generators charging, since soon enough a battery will last a 40min moto and they will be cheap enough so you will have 3 batteries.... but then again, if you usually do 3*40mins then you will need to charge Wink

Old men will be greasing their cylinders and barely dare to jump, while young kids will sound like Star Wars speeder bikes woooshing by and sending it big time...

Evolution baby, question is it when does it happen.. .in 3years or only after 6-7years?

I would be surprised if any big manufacturerer would release a BIG new design any more, will be modest refreshes until the new e-MXs are here.. .but maybe we will have minor updates for a few years????

Have no idea, just speculating.
Holigan
7/15/2021 11:57am
That farting sound four strokes make really enhances the experience.

And everybody wants a 125 class, except some OEMs that tell everyone at the pro level how it is going to be.
Johnny Depp
7/15/2021 11:58am
Alta has been out of business a few years now, and still nothing as far as rules. The rules need to be clear before any manufacturer is willing to invest.

Many don't realize that perhaps as important as instant torque is no clutch or transmission. It's huge.

It's pretty obvious batteries will need to be swapped after moto's etc.

The Shop

bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
7/15/2021 12:24pm
Alta has been out of business a few years now, and still nothing as far as rules. The rules need to be clear before any manufacturer...
Alta has been out of business a few years now, and still nothing as far as rules. The rules need to be clear before any manufacturer is willing to invest.

Many don't realize that perhaps as important as instant torque is no clutch or transmission. It's huge.

As long as one of the major OEMs produces a full-sized eMX bike, the rules will follow. There's already an eMini class where there wasn't before. They figured out where the CRF150R could fit, why not with another bike.

eMotos are coming. Yes the progress slowed with the demise of Alta, but electric motocross is inevitable. Old fuddyduddies will complain about this and that, but I really don't care. If you're not into progress, then step out of the way.
8500rpm
7/15/2021 12:24pm
Alta has been out of business a few years now, and still nothing as far as rules. The rules need to be clear before any manufacturer...

I guess/predict that speeds will be higher, jumps further, faster, higher... since people don't need to mess with wrong gear or spend 25% of their learning curve to mess with a clutch or gears... why shift+jump 80feet when you can just 'pin it' and go 125feet.

How many corners do people screw up due to wrong gear? Maybe the future will see amateurs do Laroccos leap Wink ?
8500rpm
7/15/2021 12:27pm

8500rpm wrote:
I guess/predict that speeds will be higher, jumps further, faster, higher... since people don't need to mess with wrong gear or spend 25% of their learning...
I guess/predict that speeds will be higher, jumps further, faster, higher... since people don't need to mess with wrong gear or spend 25% of their learning curve to mess with a clutch or gears... why shift+jump 80feet when you can just 'pin it' and go 125feet.

How many corners do people screw up due to wrong gear? Maybe the future will see amateurs do Laroccos leap Wink ?
Forgot to write.. it's like with cars, the 'old petrol heads' see pride in selecting right gear and 'rev match', work the manual box... while the new guys just leave them in the dust with their PDK/DSG (double clutch auto)... no pride in great shifts, but those with no pride leave the proud old timer shifters far in the dust...

Will happen with dirt bikes too... but not double clutch, will go straight to electric.
kpiper
7/15/2021 12:37pm

bayodome wrote:
As long as one of the major OEMs produces a full-sized eMX bike, the rules will follow. There's already an eMini class where there wasn't before...
As long as one of the major OEMs produces a full-sized eMX bike, the rules will follow. There's already an eMini class where there wasn't before. They figured out where the CRF150R could fit, why not with another bike.

eMotos are coming. Yes the progress slowed with the demise of Alta, but electric motocross is inevitable. Old fuddyduddies will complain about this and that, but I really don't care. If you're not into progress, then step out of the way.
His point was that to him, emoto is not progress. I agree.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/15/2021 1:27pm
Nothing against electric bikes.

Just let them have their own series like Formula 1 and Formula E. IMO, it should be the same for moto. No need to combine them with combustion engines.
peltier626
7/15/2021 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 1:32pm
I'll gladly get one. All I need is the equivalent to a 125 with a battery swap option to last 3-20 min moto's. I don't need to fly 100' or ride 4-45 min moto's. Getting too old, Just keeping it real. Can't wait.
Johnny Depp
7/15/2021 1:32pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Nothing against electric bikes. Just let them have their own series like Formula 1 and Formula E. IMO, it should be the same for moto. No...

Just let them have their own series like Formula 1 and Formula E. IMO, it should be the same for moto. No need to combine them with combustion engines.
If E-bikes can't run top billing in the Pro class, including stadiums, they would be stillborn. A death sentence. What is there to be afraid of letting them in?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/15/2021 1:35pm
If E-bikes can't run top billing in the Pro class, including stadiums, they would be stillborn. A death sentence. What is there to be afraid of...
If E-bikes can't run top billing in the Pro class, including stadiums, they would be stillborn. A death sentence. What is there to be afraid of letting them in?
Why not let them have their own series and grow the sport of motorcycling?

More teams, more rides, more jobs, etc.
Johnny Depp
7/15/2021 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 2:03pm
If E-bikes can't run top billing in the Pro class, including stadiums, they would be stillborn. A death sentence. What is there to be afraid of...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Why not let them have their own series and grow the sport of motorcycling?

More teams, more rides, more jobs, etc.
Because it won't work. Just like Supermoto and Endurocross. Dead. You get more teams if you allow them in. What promoter would be dumb enough to run a series like that? You'd have to wait until there were enough manufacturer's anyway, further delaying development. They could make the 450's an open class today and also bring back 2t's. Let the fastest bike (and rider) win, no handicaps. Just like off road.
ZOBITO
7/15/2021 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 2:31pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Nothing against electric bikes. Just let them have their own series like Formula 1 and Formula E. IMO, it should be the same for moto. No...

Electric bikes zealots want combustion engines to disappear.
Zoom
7/15/2021 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 2:07pm
As a Regional Manager for Alta and an Old School MXer, all I have to say is ride one before you say how much they suck.

The only regret I have is not keeping one of my 5 demos.

Did hundreds of demos, and every rider always came off the bike with a HUGE grin. Isn't that why we ride?

There are kids riding today, whether its a STACYC or an KTM SX-E that might ride for a life time and never use a drop of oil, never change an air filter, or replace a top end.
Mr. Afterbar
7/15/2021 1:49pm
1/8 scale RC racing hasn't been taken over by electric. They have had the technology in that arena for well over a decade and the nitro buggy racing is still the most prestigious. I can't see electric taking over MX and I'm not sure why anyone would want it to. No other motorsport has had electric take over ICE. I don't see it happening here either.
ZOBITO
7/15/2021 1:57pm
1/8 scale RC racing hasn't been taken over by electric. They have had the technology in that arena for well over a decade and the nitro...
1/8 scale RC racing hasn't been taken over by electric. They have had the technology in that arena for well over a decade and the nitro buggy racing is still the most prestigious. I can't see electric taking over MX and I'm not sure why anyone would want it to. No other motorsport has had electric take over ICE. I don't see it happening here either.
Johnny Depp
7/15/2021 2:01pm
1/8 scale RC racing hasn't been taken over by electric. They have had the technology in that arena for well over a decade and the nitro...
ZOBITO wrote:
I had a career in Auto retail, and no one was beating down the door to buy e-anything. Good luck with that plan.
Mr. Afterbar
7/15/2021 2:03pm
ZOBITO wrote:
I'm talking about racing. No motorsport has had ICE phased out and there has been way more electric development on the auto / street bike side. I will believe it when I see it, which I don't see happening anytime too soon.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
7/15/2021 2:12pm
If you want that crap back then get a time machine. This is how evolution works. If you think our sport is prestigious enough to keep combustion engines while the world eventually moves to electric then you're delusional.
7/15/2021 2:22pm
I can't wait to own an electric dirt bike, just need one from one of the major brands that is not year one model. Good riddance gas.
Mr. Afterbar
7/15/2021 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 2:27pm
I can't wait to own an electric dirt bike, just need one from one of the major brands that is not year one model. Good riddance...
I can't wait to own an electric dirt bike, just need one from one of the major brands that is not year one model. Good riddance gas.
You’ll still be using gas to charge your bike at the track and you’ll have to bring a generator with too.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/15/2021 3:25pm
Because it won't work. Just like Supermoto and Endurocross. Dead. You get more teams if you allow them in. What promoter would be dumb enough to...
Because it won't work. Just like Supermoto and Endurocross. Dead. You get more teams if you allow them in. What promoter would be dumb enough to run a series like that? You'd have to wait until there were enough manufacturer's anyway, further delaying development. They could make the 450's an open class today and also bring back 2t's. Let the fastest bike (and rider) win, no handicaps. Just like off road.
BroFoSho
7/15/2021 3:38pm
I'm talking about racing. No motorsport has had ICE phased out and there has been way more electric development on the auto / street bike side...
I'm talking about racing. No motorsport has had ICE phased out and there has been way more electric development on the auto / street bike side. I will believe it when I see it, which I don't see happening anytime too soon.
I hate to tell you this... but every major auto manufacturer is spending big dollars transitioning to electric and phasing out ICE...

Well maybe except Dodge. They are still like "fuck it, we'll put a hellcat motor in a minivan. It's going to be sweet"
7/15/2021 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 3:42pm
Because it won't work. Just like Supermoto and Endurocross. Dead. You get more teams if you allow them in. What promoter would be dumb enough to...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think you know as well as I do that our sport is not on the level of Formula racing to have its own standalone electric series. With a 3 hour SX broadcast and a 4 hour MX broadcast, there's no way an E series added on would be able to get the appropriate coverage. And if these manufacturers are going to put R&D money into these bikes, they're going to be shooting for premier titles, not some niche-class championship. They would need to be integrated into the existing classes somehow.

Not saying it's a bad idea, I just don't believe that it would work.
Johnny Depp
7/15/2021 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 3:47pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Yep, they raced in New York last week, and nobody cared or noticed.

"Formula E was founded to counteract climate change by accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles."

That is proof why NOT to have a separate series. If it wasn't for the green initiative they wouldn't exist.

The only possible reason for not allowing them against IC bikes is that they would be too good, and render the other's obsolete. Progress. If they can't compete, oh well too bad.
USA
Fantasy
507th
7/15/2021 3:45pm
I'm more afraid of ICE engines getting banned rather than racing series focusing on electric.

But at this point who the hell knows. I want an electric bike alongside my 2 stroke. Maybe if I had one, I would prefer to ride electric and eventually stop ICE all together. I have no idea what my tendencies will be until I can experience both.

I gotta say, it would be weird if people/pros could go faster on electric bikes and we still raced at the top level on ICE bikes.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/15/2021 4:11pm
Johnny Depp wrote:

"Progress. If they can't compete, oh well too bad."

I suppose they could allow electric to compete with internal combustion engines just as long as they don't seriously fuck up the rules this go around.

Killing one to make way for another doesn't any sense. e.g. 125 2t vs 250 4t.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/15/2021 4:21pm
Yep, they raced in New York last week, and nobody cared or noticed. [embed][/embed] "Formula E was founded to counteract climate change by accelerating the adoption...
Yep, they raced in New York last week, and nobody cared or noticed.

"Formula E was founded to counteract climate change by accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles."

That is proof why NOT to have a separate series. If it wasn't for the green initiative they wouldn't exist.

The only possible reason for not allowing them against IC bikes is that they would be too good, and render the other's obsolete. Progress. If they can't compete, oh well too bad.
I'm curious to know why you think nobody cared or noticed?
Johnny Depp
7/15/2021 4:25pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Johnny Depp wrote: [i]"Progress. If they can't compete, oh well too bad."[/i] I suppose they could allow electric to compete with internal combustion engines just as...
Johnny Depp wrote:

"Progress. If they can't compete, oh well too bad."

I suppose they could allow electric to compete with internal combustion engines just as long as they don't seriously fuck up the rules this go around.

Killing one to make way for another doesn't any sense. e.g. 125 2t vs 250 4t.
Exactly, let the racetrack decide, not the rule book. Open Class. It's far more likely that if they made this rule today, that we wouldn't see a e-bike or 2t podium for years, if ever. The stands would be full of fans though.

Post a reply to: Electric bikes in future mx

The Latest