Electric bike track opens in NC

Edited Date/Time 5/2/2012 10:57pm
Take a look at the future.
Everybody farts rainbows when the bikes are quiet.
More electric bike tracks= more electric bike buyers and riders. These tracks are going to be so much easier to site and operate.

While another facility in the area has fallen foul of local noise ordinances aimed at keeping things nice and quiet in Transylvania County, Salzman says that visitors are often shocked by just how little sound the 2010 and 2011 Zero MX dirt bikes available for hire at the Dark Green facility actually make:

"These bikes are so quiet, which many people don't expect," he said. "Spectators can keep up a conversation without raising their voices, and our neighbors love us!"

http://www.gizmag.com/dark-green-electric-motocross-track/22349/
|
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
5/1/2012 7:06am
Waiting until KTM has a solid electric bike before I make the leap.
TerryB
5/1/2012 7:22am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2012 7:31am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Waiting until KTM has a solid electric bike before I make the leap.
+1 The zero is cool, but I'd like something with full size wheels.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
5/1/2012 7:42am
The brd redshift will be the go. It's the only one I've heard of with 250f equivalent power. The others are more like an 85

The Shop

P
5/1/2012 7:50am
Big ups to NC doing it!!

P
Underdog999
5/1/2012 8:47am
Pretty sick idea. I hope they can get enough customers to keep it operational.
dboivin
5/1/2012 8:54am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Thats wicked.

This is pretty cool:

the carnage in this video is pretty funny.
lucero10x
5/1/2012 9:06am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2012 9:07am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Thats wicked.

This is pretty cool:

Damn, what class did he start in? Those boys (and possibly girls) were STRUGGLIN'! lol

It will be extremely cool to watch these bikes develop more. Battery life, suspension components, etc.
5/1/2012 9:10am
i think they have a ways to go, but if something like this caught on with urbanites and suburbanites, it could really take off. It would be good for MX I think just by getting more people into it. And the IC engine is not going anywhere any time soon.
lucero10x
5/1/2012 9:14am
i think they have a ways to go, but if something like this caught on with urbanites and suburbanites, it could really take off. It would...
i think they have a ways to go, but if something like this caught on with urbanites and suburbanites, it could really take off. It would be good for MX I think just by getting more people into it. And the IC engine is not going anywhere any time soon.
And lets say you have a house on a couple acres in "horse property" neighborhoods, like mine, keep it fairly well watered and the neighbors can't say a damn thing. You could have your buddies over for Friday night throw downs that won't get shut down.
5/1/2012 9:28am
Very cool.. getting rid of the noise issue, the only thing left in the way is dust. And that can be managed with a good irrigation system. I'd give up my gas burners in a SECOND if it meant I didn't have to drive 1.5 hours for a decent track.
peelout
5/1/2012 9:39am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Thats wicked.

This is pretty cool:

that guy riding it was a straight up BOSS.

he made some of that shit look easy, especially when everyone else was struggling
lumpy790
5/1/2012 11:03am
that electric scooter is pretty dam impressive
Racer92
5/1/2012 11:06am
lumpy790 wrote:
X2 that is the way of the future for sure. Id love to have a silent & deadly holeshot machine !
5/1/2012 12:15pm
lumpy790 wrote:
First computer was millions of $ and as big as your garage. Well maybe not your garage Lumpy.
Titan1
5/1/2012 12:33pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Thats wicked.

This is pretty cool:

That looked to me like an expert/pro level rider, racing against a bunch of novices...what kind of riders just fall over in the trail?

I'm going to call that, more about the rider than the bike...
dboivin
5/1/2012 12:45pm
Titan1 wrote:
That looked to me like an expert/pro level rider, racing against a bunch of novices...what kind of riders just fall over in the trail? I'm going...
That looked to me like an expert/pro level rider, racing against a bunch of novices...what kind of riders just fall over in the trail?

kinda missing the point of the video but ok. I thought it demonstrated the bikes capabilities quite well. don't have to kickstart it like everyone else on the start, puts you immediately at the front of your class start. then it performed pretty solid in some real tricky sections. not bad for an electric bike. kinda impressive actually.
lumpy790
5/1/2012 12:47pm
lumpy790 wrote:
First computer was millions of $ and as big as your garage. Well maybe not your garage Lumpy.
LOL..... remember in 3rd or 4th grade the private school I attended (Andrews University by Red Bud) gave is a tour of the NEW ..... punch holes in a card computers. Same day we were amazed when they put a brown bag with a handfull of pop corn into this Huge machine with a small door ....... ding.. it was popped!.
lumpy790
5/1/2012 12:49pm
Titan1 wrote:
That looked to me like an expert/pro level rider, racing against a bunch of novices...what kind of riders just fall over in the trail? I'm going...

dboivin wrote:
kinda missing the point of the video but ok. I thought it demonstrated the bikes capabilities quite well. don't have to kickstart it like everyone else...
kinda missing the point of the video but ok. I thought it demonstrated the bikes capabilities quite well. don't have to kickstart it like everyone else on the start, puts you immediately at the front of your class start. then it performed pretty solid in some real tricky sections. not bad for an electric bike. kinda impressive actually.
holeshot his class of real gas dirt bikes and quickly caught the previus classes back markers.

Dam that 1 plop of mud.......
Hank_Thrill
5/1/2012 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2012 12:54pm
I think the future will be bright when these make it to professional racing. I would like to see the speeds come down a notch so more riders could make it through a full year of racing. It should be easy to do. Maybe they could even program power maps to the rider's weight, so everyone would be on an even playing field power wise.
Titan1
5/1/2012 1:09pm
Titan1 wrote:

dboivin wrote:
kinda missing the point of the video but ok. I thought it demonstrated the bikes capabilities quite well. don't have to kickstart it like everyone else...
The video was trying to sell the "stall proof torque" of the electric bike by contrasting it with a bunch of floundering/stalling gas bikes.

My point is that, I think its "performance" was more rider than bike. Obviously those riders aren't at the level of the rider of the electric bike, which made the contrast between the gas bikes and the electric bike SEEM far greater than it really is.

If that electric bike was racing against a pack of expert/pro riders (who can actually race that course-without falling over, who very seldom stall their bikes, and can get off the start line quicker than the gas riders in the video) all the sudden the electric bike doesn't look as good because the contrast isn't as apparent.

Off the start, I'll give it the advantage...but elsewhere, in this video, I'll credit the performance to the rider more so than the bike
Titan1
5/1/2012 1:12pm
Titan1 wrote:

dboivin wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
holeshot his class of real gas dirt bikes and quickly caught the previus classes back markers.

Dam that 1 plop of mud.......
caught the previous back markers who apparently don't now how to ride a dirt bike....

The holeshot was sweet though...no kickstart would be a huge advantage on a dead engine start (which can be credited to the holeshot more than the bike just plain being faster, in my opinion).

I'm not hating on the bike at all (I'd ride one if the performance/saftey/price was competative...and I'm sure one day it will be...I'm more hating on the disingenuous video I guess.)
lumpy790
5/1/2012 1:29pm
there was a huge lineup of gas bikes that were in his class...did it help for him to be lined up on the flat dry surface?... not one of them challenged him for the lead. I kept waiting / expecting but it did not happen.

Did he win? Who knows. Does a electric bike go long enough to finnish a XC race let alone win?
peelout
5/1/2012 1:31pm
Titan1 wrote:
caught the previous back markers who apparently don't now how to ride a dirt bike.... The holeshot was sweet though...no kickstart would be a huge advantage...
caught the previous back markers who apparently don't now how to ride a dirt bike....

The holeshot was sweet though...no kickstart would be a huge advantage on a dead engine start (which can be credited to the holeshot more than the bike just plain being faster, in my opinion).

I'm not hating on the bike at all (I'd ride one if the performance/saftey/price was competative...and I'm sure one day it will be...I'm more hating on the disingenuous video I guess.)
i agree with you that it was more rider than bike... but the bike definitely had a good presence in the video.

that said, i raced the Knolls Knockdown a few years ago when it snowed 6 inches the night before. i was dead last in the Expert class going into the first corner and dumped it. took about 6 kicks to re-start it and got going a LONG ways back from even last place.

i did a lot like this guy did though, i was passing guys like they were standing still. i ended up passing everyone but Dustin Hedman and TJ Hannifin by the end of the loop. it was pretty amazing the calibre of riders i was passing like spodes, where in good weather conditions and not bunched up, they may have put up much more of a fight.

i guess my point is that in those scrambles races, a lot of guys get caught up in what the dudes in front of them are doing and squid it up just as bad. i mean, i passed 5 guys in the same 20 feet that day and probably close to 35-40 riders total in one loop.

i would have hated to be on the electric bike that day though... most guys haven't ridden rough conditions until they've raced a 96 mile race at the Knolls Smile
DirtMAFIA
5/1/2012 1:41pm
Good idea but it will never become big.......IMO and the bike looks quick but holeshot was done beacuse the bike doesn't have to start. And i also feel bad for people like ashley fiolek and anyone that is deaf! the would never be able to ride one, Electric equals no vibration or anyway to truley feel the motor working.
Titan1
5/1/2012 2:15pm
Titan1 wrote:
caught the previous back markers who apparently don't now how to ride a dirt bike.... The holeshot was sweet though...no kickstart would be a huge advantage...

peelout wrote:
i agree with you that it was more rider than bike... but the bike definitely had a good presence in the video. that said, i raced...
i agree with you that it was more rider than bike... but the bike definitely had a good presence in the video.

that said, i raced the Knolls Knockdown a few years ago when it snowed 6 inches the night before. i was dead last in the Expert class going into the first corner and dumped it. took about 6 kicks to re-start it and got going a LONG ways back from even last place.

i did a lot like this guy did though, i was passing guys like they were standing still. i ended up passing everyone but Dustin Hedman and TJ Hannifin by the end of the loop. it was pretty amazing the calibre of riders i was passing like spodes, where in good weather conditions and not bunched up, they may have put up much more of a fight.

i guess my point is that in those scrambles races, a lot of guys get caught up in what the dudes in front of them are doing and squid it up just as bad. i mean, i passed 5 guys in the same 20 feet that day and probably close to 35-40 riders total in one loop.

i would have hated to be on the electric bike that day though... most guys haven't ridden rough conditions until they've raced a 96 mile race at the Knolls Smile
Dude, I hate the knolls....I didn't even race it two weeks ago because I didn't feel like punishing myself. That place is absolutely brutal! And I can't imagine in in the snow.

TJ Hannifin is a beast in the desert...I've never understood why he doesn't race more?

Post a reply to: Electric bike track opens in NC

The Latest