Electric Motorcycles and Mugen Honda

ga_pike
11/9/2017 4:36am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2017 7:19am
I'm not sure why, but I decided to look up Mugen and see what they have been up to. Well, according to Wikipedia (which we should ALWAYS take as fact), they have been very active in Isle of Man racing with Honda, specifically electric motorcycles. I wasn't aware they were still involved with motorcycle racing in any form.

From Wikipedia:
Again in collaboration with Honda, Mugen have become the dominant force in electrically powered motorcycles competing at the Isle of Man TT Races. In the four years from their introduction into the TT Zero, the average speed of the Mugen Shinden around the Snaefell Mountain Course has increased from 102.215 mph (164.499 km/h) in 2012 to 119.279 mph (191.961 km/h) in 2015.[2]

Making their competitive debut at the 2012 Isle of Man TT, John McGuinness took the Mugen Shinden Ni to second place behind the MotoCzysz of Michael Rutter at an average speed of 109.527 mph.[3]

At the 2013 TT Mugen again finished runners up to MotoCzysz, with Rutter and McGuinness repeating the previous year's result.[4]

Mugen's development has continued at subsequent races in the TT Zero Category. Fielding two machines at the 2014 Isle of Man TT, John McGuinness secured their maiden victory ahead of teammate Bruce Anstey who took second place on the other Shinden San.[5]

At the 2015 TT McGuinness and Anstey again took the first two spots on the rostrum.[6]

Mugen continued their dominance in the TT Zero class at the Isle of Man TT Races in 2016, when Bruce Anstey took the honours, although their other machine, ridden by John McGuinness, retired during the one lap event.

Anstey and Guy Martin came first and second respectively, both riding Mugen machines.

With this in mind, how feasible is it that Mugen and Honda may work together on an electric motocross bike? Considering the success of the Alta and KTM's interest, it would seem that the Japanese will need to follow suit soon.

Thoughts?
|
Gravel
11/9/2017 7:19am
Honda will be first of the Japanese makers to get an electric motocrosser to market..

Post a reply to: Electric Motorcycles and Mugen Honda

The Latest