Electric 50's at LL's in 2019

brocsdad
Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 6:59pm
The AMA is currently working on a deal to allow new electric bikes from KTM, Yamaha and apparently Cobra race in 2019 at Loretta's. They are supposed to debut the bikes this summer at Loretta's. It seems the electric movement is happening and it will start with the youth.

From a competition standpoint racing is racing so you could care less if the bike is making noise. On the flip side if you take the motor sound out of it I don't if you will still draw the crowds or fill stadiums?
|
3/9/2018 1:21pm
We will see because it’s the future...no ifs or buts. Personally I’m looking forward to being able to ride anywhere within 2 hours of where I live
Dropbear
3/9/2018 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 1:49pm
Yep, definitely the future. Method of propulsion doesn't matter to me as long as I'm on 2 wheels, hell I even like rolling down a gnarly track on my MTB, no noise there just my groans.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/9/2018 1:56pm
Dropbear wrote:
Yep, definitely the future. Method of propulsion doesn't matter to me as long as I'm on 2 wheels, hell I even like rolling down a gnarly...
Yep, definitely the future. Method of propulsion doesn't matter to me as long as I'm on 2 wheels, hell I even like rolling down a gnarly track on my MTB, no noise there just my groans.
The silence and peace of a mountain bike in the woods is just as hypnotic as the schriek of a 125.

They had a 4 e bike race after the MotoGP race at Indy a few years ago. It sucked to watch, but the bikes were at least 10 seconds apart and it followed some of the coolest engine sounds ever produced.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/9/2018 2:07pm
brocsdad wrote:
The AMA is currently working on a deal to allow new electric bikes from KTM, Yamaha and apparently Cobra race in 2019 at Loretta's. They are...
The AMA is currently working on a deal to allow new electric bikes from KTM, Yamaha and apparently Cobra race in 2019 at Loretta's. They are supposed to debut the bikes this summer at Loretta's. It seems the electric movement is happening and it will start with the youth.

From a competition standpoint racing is racing so you could care less if the bike is making noise. On the flip side if you take the motor sound out of it I don't if you will still draw the crowds or fill stadiums?
I wouldn't attend an sx or national if it was electric bikes. The sound of these gnarly factory motors if part of what I enjoy. For me, if the sound goes I might as well go watch a local BMX race or MTB race.

Everyone keeps talking about the noise and being able to ride in their backyards or possible inner city tracks, but around my area noise might be the biggest complaint and dust is a very very close second. A local pro had a track at his house and talked to the neighbors before building it with agreed upon ride times. One of the neighbors didn't have an issue with the noise from him riding, but hated the dust even though they kept the track as watered as they possibly could. Dust never seems to get brought up in the electric bike discussion(at least not that I've seen)

The Shop

byke
3/9/2018 2:16pm
We will see because it’s the future...no ifs or buts. Personally I’m looking forward to being able to ride anywhere within 2 hours of where I...
We will see because it’s the future...no ifs or buts. Personally I’m looking forward to being able to ride anywhere within 2 hours of where I live
Wonder if they said the same thing about electric cars a hundred years ago? Here we are more than a century later and electric cars take up less than a half percent of what's out there. I'm very excited for e-moto to advance, but they won't be the future in our lifetime. For fun: http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/223/electric-car-timeline.html
3/9/2018 2:24pm
byke wrote:
Wonder if they said the same thing about electric cars a hundred years ago? Here we are more than a century later and electric cars take...
Wonder if they said the same thing about electric cars a hundred years ago? Here we are more than a century later and electric cars take up less than a half percent of what's out there. I'm very excited for e-moto to advance, but they won't be the future in our lifetime. For fun: http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/223/electric-car-timeline.html
They probably said the same about cars, there you go fixed it for you.
Asimo
3/9/2018 2:27pm
Never would have gotten into the sport if it wasn't for screaming engines. Or anything else for that matter.
Dropbear
3/9/2018 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 2:31pm
I wonder if the internal combustion engine was invented today, would it even be legal? Poison gas pump. Just thinking in words. Don't get me wrong, I love me 2 strokes
3/9/2018 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 2:51pm
The electric PW50-type bikes are really a no-brainer market. There is no single advantage that I can think of there with the internal combustion engine.

On the flip-side, the tuneability/governability of electric with digital processing is far superior for shrinking down or growing with a developing rider. With electric, there's no starting, flooding, or killing the bike for dad to have to deal with. Those things are frustrating distractions to riding for the youngest age groups, even on bikes with electric-start. Kid can just gear up and go. And the literal "plug and play" prep routine is ideal.
MXMattii
3/9/2018 2:47pm
Cheap Electric 50's will bring a new crowd to our sport. People who would never give their kids a bike, will now. And then we will see how it develops from there.
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1417th
3/9/2018 2:56pm
MXMattii wrote:
Cheap Electric 50's will bring a new crowd to our sport. People who would never give their kids a bike, will now. And then we will...
Cheap Electric 50's will bring a new crowd to our sport. People who would never give their kids a bike, will now. And then we will see how it develops from there.
Great the ER's will be more full of kids and the tracks will get sued because the parents didn't realize it was dangerous!
brocsdad
3/9/2018 2:56pm
MXMattii wrote:
Cheap Electric 50's will bring a new crowd to our sport. People who would never give their kids a bike, will now. And then we will...
I'm not sure how cheap they will be?
The Candyman
3/9/2018 3:03pm
MXMattii wrote:
NITRODOG wrote:
Great the ER's will be more full of kids and the tracks will get sued because the parents didn't realize it was dangerous!
Wtf..learning while your young is actually a method of preventing injuries on a smaller slower bike compared to bigger faster bikes. If your scared of injuries maybe take up fishing or dont cross the road.
MXMattii
3/9/2018 3:06pm
MXMattii wrote:
brocsdad wrote:
I'm not sure how cheap they will be?
No idea, but those Chinese Electric bikes are in a reasonable price range. They will probably not be competitive with those KTM, Yamaha, Cobra ones but those parents will not know, buy a cheap one first, kids will get hooked at racing and then parents need to buy a quality fuel kids bike or a upgraded E-Bike.

I really think that E-bikes, especially the cheap Chinese ones are the perfect way to promote our sport and put a banner up from: "Get to know our sport".
3/9/2018 3:13pm
MXMattii wrote:
NITRODOG wrote:
Wtf..learning while your young is actually a method of preventing injuries on a smaller slower bike compared to bigger faster bikes. If your scared of injuries...
Wtf..learning while your young is actually a method of preventing injuries on a smaller slower bike compared to bigger faster bikes. If your scared of injuries maybe take up fishing or dont cross the road.
And a kid geared up on a p-dub is way the fuck safer than one on a hoverboard, which are selling in the quantity realm of 4m a year.
Dropbear
3/9/2018 3:23pm
Mini bike dads will make sure their kid's is the fastest.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
3/9/2018 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 3:34pm
If you only enjoy the sport for the sound of the motor then you’re either a fairweather fan or maybe you’re just too sensitive.

The future is now.
easydoesit
3/9/2018 3:35pm
Pretty soon we are going to have a generation that won't know how to ride a bike with a clutch.
Asimo
3/9/2018 3:47pm
How are more expensive electric bikes going to get more people involved, when way back in the day every kid had a real motorcycle with gears and a kickstarter?

Granted, some started on 3 speed autos, but alot started on real 50s with a 3 speed and a clutch. Long before even PW and JR 50s.
Asimo
3/9/2018 3:48pm
easydoesit wrote:
Pretty soon we are going to have a generation that won't know how to ride a bike with a clutch.
We already have that. There have been threads on here of Dads asking how to teach a kid racing for 3 years on a Cobra, to start out without killing the engine.

It's pretty sad.
brocsdad
3/9/2018 3:57pm
easydoesit wrote:
Asimo wrote:
We already have that. There have been threads on here of Dads asking how to teach a kid racing for 3 years on a Cobra, to...
We already have that. There have been threads on here of Dads asking how to teach a kid racing for 3 years on a Cobra, to start out without killing the engine.

It's pretty sad.
My kid ride Cobra and Metrakit 50’s and he picked up the clutch and shifting in a couple days on his 65. It’s not that big of a deal. Though if the bikes of the future are automatic with crazy torque there’s no need for shifting gears.
brocsdad
3/9/2018 4:00pm
Asimo wrote:
How are more expensive electric bikes going to get more people involved, when way back in the day every kid had a real motorcycle with gears...
How are more expensive electric bikes going to get more people involved, when way back in the day every kid had a real motorcycle with gears and a kickstarter?

Granted, some started on 3 speed autos, but alot started on real 50s with a 3 speed and a clutch. Long before even PW and JR 50s.
It will be something new and you would be surprised of all the parents against motocross because of the noise alone. As far as the expense we already live in a world with $5k 50’s and $10k big bikes.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/9/2018 4:01pm
brocsdad wrote:
The AMA is currently working on a deal to allow new electric bikes from KTM, Yamaha and apparently Cobra race in 2019 at Loretta's. They are...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I wouldn't attend an sx or national if it was electric bikes. The sound of these gnarly factory motors if part of what I enjoy. For...
I wouldn't attend an sx or national if it was electric bikes. The sound of these gnarly factory motors if part of what I enjoy. For me, if the sound goes I might as well go watch a local BMX race or MTB race.

Everyone keeps talking about the noise and being able to ride in their backyards or possible inner city tracks, but around my area noise might be the biggest complaint and dust is a very very close second. A local pro had a track at his house and talked to the neighbors before building it with agreed upon ride times. One of the neighbors didn't have an issue with the noise from him riding, but hated the dust even though they kept the track as watered as they possibly could. Dust never seems to get brought up in the electric bike discussion(at least not that I've seen)
I agree. To me engine noise, race fuel/smell, etc. is and has always been part of racing. Without any of it I think it'll be boring to watch.

Case in point

Formula 1 > Formula E

Go watch a race of each and you'll see how boring Formula E really is. Would NHRA, NASCAR, etc. be the same if they were to go silent? I think the fan base would drop.

I come from a snowmobiling background and nothing sounds better than a well tuned triple 800.

You want a bike with two wheels that's silent, buy a bicycle.

Don't get me wrong I think electric bikes/cars have a purpose in the commuting world. I just think they're boring to watch.
Dropbear
3/9/2018 4:02pm
brocsdad wrote:
It will be something new and you would be surprised of all the parents against motocross because of the noise alone. As far as the expense...
It will be something new and you would be surprised of all the parents against motocross because of the noise alone. As far as the expense we already live in a world with $5k 50’s and $10k big bikes.
And I mightn't have got tinnitus, but it was worth it.
brocsdad
3/9/2018 4:06pm
brocsdad wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I wouldn't attend an sx or national if it was electric bikes. The sound of these gnarly factory motors if part of what I enjoy. For...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I agree. To me engine noise, race fuel/smell, etc. is and has always been part of racing. Without any of it I think it'll be boring...
I agree. To me engine noise, race fuel/smell, etc. is and has always been part of racing. Without any of it I think it'll be boring to watch.

Case in point

Formula 1 > Formula E

Go watch a race of each and you'll see how boring Formula E really is. Would NHRA, NASCAR, etc. be the same if they were to go silent? I think the fan base would drop.

I come from a snowmobiling background and nothing sounds better than a well tuned triple 800.

You want a bike with two wheels that's silent, buy a bicycle.

Don't get me wrong I think electric bikes/cars have a purpose in the commuting world. I just think they're boring to watch.
From a spectator point it may be more boring but from a racers point of view it’s still racing.

You will most likely see the sport divided with 2 divisions at first.
Lightning78
3/9/2018 4:36pm
easydoesit wrote:
And to me that part of the fun...mastering the advantages of knowing how to use your clutch to effectively go fast
Dropbear
3/9/2018 4:51pm
I was thinking maybe you could still have a clutch of sorts. Not for gear changing but for cornering. A 500cc 2 stroke is a torque monster, but I could not imagine riding without using the clutch in turns and just using the throttle if you know what I mean?

Post a reply to: Electric 50's at LL's in 2019

The Latest