Eat that Ryno!

OFalk280
4/25/2021 5:23pm
Crush wrote:
How many races have been won by guys in knee and neck braces. Quite a few me thinks. Couldn’t be that just the best guy is...
How many races have been won by guys in knee and neck braces. Quite a few me thinks. Couldn’t be that just the best guy is winning, could it?
I seem to remember a certain Ryan Villopoto winning 4 SX championships in a row wearing a neck brace...it’s almost like the guy just had a lot of talent. But ask Ryno he could’ve won more without a neck brace I guess?
Titan1
4/25/2021 5:31pm
Crush wrote:
How many races have been won by guys in knee and neck braces. Quite a few me thinks. Couldn’t be that just the best guy is...
How many races have been won by guys in knee and neck braces. Quite a few me thinks. Couldn’t be that just the best guy is winning, could it?
OFalk280 wrote:
I seem to remember a certain Ryan Villopoto winning 4 SX championships in a row wearing a neck brace...it’s almost like the guy just had a...
I seem to remember a certain Ryan Villopoto winning 4 SX championships in a row wearing a neck brace...it’s almost like the guy just had a lot of talent. But ask Ryno he could’ve won more without a neck brace I guess?
Wasn’t he competing against a bunch of other guys also wearing neck braces? The playing field was level...
OFalk280
4/25/2021 6:13pm
Crush wrote:
OFalk280 wrote:
I seem to remember a certain Ryan Villopoto winning 4 SX championships in a row wearing a neck brace...it’s almost like the guy just had a...
Titan1 wrote:
Wasn’t he competing against a bunch of other guys also wearing neck braces? The playing field was level...
Stew and Reed both didn’t wear neck braces...Dungey did.
4/25/2021 6:20pm
Remember “anywhere you go, that’s where you now are”
- Ok cool, thanks Ryno!

The Shop

Johnny Ringo
4/25/2021 7:42pm
Honestly, I don’t care what Ryno thinks on braces. He is entitled to his own opinions and has been deep in this sport for most his life. I choose to wear both neck and knee braces as I feel they help mitigate some of the inherent risk that comes with dirtbikes. I’m not going to hate the guy for having a different opinion than me.

CPR
4/25/2021 8:44pm
OFalk280 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
OFalk280 wrote:
Stew and Reed both didn’t wear neck braces...Dungey did.
But Reed did in 2009 when he won his only outdoor title 😉
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/25/2021 11:35pm
Same dude has won before with a neck brace on. A few other people have as well, like that Ryan Villopoto guy.

mmcmx
4/26/2021 12:55am
One thing is true, he is no sheep. Not afraid to go out of the herd. I like that.
28hall
4/26/2021 1:10am
CKNY wrote:
Just shows what a narcissist Ryno really is despite pushing his peace and love hippy bullshit. He’s an attention whore in a deep romance with the...
Just shows what a narcissist Ryno really is despite pushing his peace and love hippy bullshit.
He’s an attention whore in a deep romance with the sound of his own voice.
Up Wind wrote:
Do you know him?
CKNY wrote:
I don’t need to know him to know his type and form my own opinion. If that differs from yours great. It sure seems to be...
I don’t need to know him to know his type and form my own opinion. If that differs from yours great. It sure seems to be the way he presents himself on a lot of occasions and platforms. Am I right? Who knows but this is an MX forum and I’m posting my thoughts and observations. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a terrible person or a shitty coach.
I did a class with him a couple of years back here in Aus and that pretty much sums him up. He showed up an hour late, during his opening speech he shat all over musquin, the deegans and others while taking all the credit for making guys fast like Wilson and Tomac. During the drills he would stand on the side of the track making silly motions on the exercise without actually watching the riders or offering any critique on whether you were doing it correctly or not. He then suited up and spent the next 40 minutes having a photo shoot for his Instagram while we sat around waiting. We then did sections which consisted of him blasting thru the section on the verge of crashing to show how much faster he was than everyone even tho one of his favourite catch phrase is “if you can’t do it slow, you can’t do it fast”. I left the day very disappointed and I let him know that in my feedback. He’s response apart from stating he explains things very clearly so was very confused I was unhappy and then proceeded to say I obviously haven’t done much coaching for thinking he was bad and that I should do a smaller 2 day class to get one on one training however there was only 10 of us there to begin with. Ryno has very good points on riding technique which I agree with but as I told him, your better off just watching his short videos explaining his technique pointers and save your money. Never meet your hero’s I guess the saying goes.
4/26/2021 1:35am
seth505 wrote:
Same dude has won before with a neck brace on. A few other people have as well, like that Ryan Villopoto guy. [img]https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/01/supercrosslive-com-marvin-musquin-e1547941943972.jpg[/img]
Same dude has won before with a neck brace on. A few other people have as well, like that Ryan Villopoto guy.

And Gasjer.
4/26/2021 2:03am
Ryno is a person who is not afraid to speak his own mind and go against the grain and with that in mind he will be more wrong about things than people who say literally nothing.

Saying nothing will result in not being wrong, amazing stuff I know.
deadlo
4/26/2021 2:27am
I mean why would Marvin ditch his neck brace this late in his career? Obviously he felt the risk/reward favored ditching it.

I absolutely agree with ryno on the next brace thing. In the proper attack position you are limited on how far you can lift your head to look in front of you with a neck brace on. A lot of you probably have poor form and look right in front of your front fender and not notice a difference.

Didn’t keefer just post an article basically agreeing with the knee brace thing too?

I enjoy rynos aggressive coaching style. The guy is passionate and very honest when he changes his views on what he has said on the past.
MKMX
4/26/2021 4:31am
LKHill wrote:
Only thing Ryno is eating is cake after being vinticated what he said about MM and neck braces. Strange MM would take it off after a...
Only thing Ryno is eating is cake after being vinticated what he said about MM and neck braces. Strange MM would take it off after a crash that it appeared to save him.
To Ryno’s point, it could have been the neck brace that assisted him into the crash that the neck brace was required to save him from.
CKNY
4/26/2021 4:57am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 4:58am
Up Wind wrote:
Do you know him?
CKNY wrote:
I don’t need to know him to know his type and form my own opinion. If that differs from yours great. It sure seems to be...
I don’t need to know him to know his type and form my own opinion. If that differs from yours great. It sure seems to be the way he presents himself on a lot of occasions and platforms. Am I right? Who knows but this is an MX forum and I’m posting my thoughts and observations. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a terrible person or a shitty coach.
28hall wrote:
I did a class with him a couple of years back here in Aus and that pretty much sums him up. He showed up an hour...
I did a class with him a couple of years back here in Aus and that pretty much sums him up. He showed up an hour late, during his opening speech he shat all over musquin, the deegans and others while taking all the credit for making guys fast like Wilson and Tomac. During the drills he would stand on the side of the track making silly motions on the exercise without actually watching the riders or offering any critique on whether you were doing it correctly or not. He then suited up and spent the next 40 minutes having a photo shoot for his Instagram while we sat around waiting. We then did sections which consisted of him blasting thru the section on the verge of crashing to show how much faster he was than everyone even tho one of his favourite catch phrase is “if you can’t do it slow, you can’t do it fast”. I left the day very disappointed and I let him know that in my feedback. He’s response apart from stating he explains things very clearly so was very confused I was unhappy and then proceeded to say I obviously haven’t done much coaching for thinking he was bad and that I should do a smaller 2 day class to get one on one training however there was only 10 of us there to begin with. Ryno has very good points on riding technique which I agree with but as I told him, your better off just watching his short videos explaining his technique pointers and save your money. Never meet your hero’s I guess the saying goes.
Thats a great story. I remember doing my first Shane Watts course years ago. Thought he was such a great coach and guy that I ended up bringing him to my area in the following years 4 times. Let him crash at my house every time. Still keep in touch with him. Super modest no shits given type of guy. Same as Graham Jarvis. Had him at my place for a week last year. Super chilled, no ego.
Im a coach myself, I teach the MSF Dirtbike Course. It’s a basic skills course and I love helping people get into the sport and breaking down their personal barriers and seeing them get over failure and building their confidence and skills.
Jeff_Brines
4/26/2021 5:31am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2021 5:36am
Like most things in life, the truth is somewhere between this or that, black or white, 1 or 0.

Ryno is a character, and characters are great for sport. He also has a lot of interesting ideas pertaining to riding a dirt bike, training and the "philosophy of dirt bike riding".

However, just like I don't care for Lebron James' thoughts on politics, I don't care for Ryno's thoughts on "how to live life".

The great part about being a human is we are an analytical bunch. We can take something and leave the rest. With Ryno, it seems worth considering a lot of his ideas when it comes to certain fundamentals on a dirt bike. That doesn't mean everything he says is gospel.

As far as his "I'm my own guru, I know everything motif" well, it reminds me of talking to a 17 year old who just listened to a bunch of Alan Watts while stoned.

The real reflection of an expert is a person who always leaves room for progression, improvement and being wrong. One of the only constants in life is this idea everything we know continues to be refined and progressed which means we all believe something now that will be shown false in the future.

Ryno leaves no room for this.

So yeah, maybe he's a great dude, maybe he's not. I don't know. But I do know he comes across in a cringeworthy kind of way in a lot of his ranting & raving due to his unwillingness to leave the door open to "something else". He also seems very impressed with himself, which may or may not be true, but delivery is important.
racerxx276
4/26/2021 6:05am
There is a lot of money in being a utuber if the views are there.
And the views aren't there unless your different than the next guy.

Ryno fits that description...
Rickyisms
4/26/2021 9:45am
xrmark wrote:
Musquin has incredible technique I always thought...
Cuts the track like a surgeon.
jumper23
4/29/2021 8:03am
Ryno called it and got it right again this is why he is a legend in this sport love him or hate him he gives much more than the naysayers do to this sport
Kevin852
4/29/2021 9:26am
There are many issues I have with Ryno talking about things that are his opinion like they are proven facts.

But on this whole MM issue the facts do not prove what he is trying to say.

Ryno states that MM took of his neck brace and became faster and better and wins because of it.

But the data shows otherwise.

So far this year MM has done this:

Race finish fastest lap position
Houston 1 3rd 5th
Indy 3 3rd 6th
Orlando 2 2nd 3rd
SLC 1 1st 3rd

so he is no "faster" but got a reat start and checked out and hung on for the win. But it is the neck brace. He was .3 seconds from not winning and finishing the same as Orlando. But according to Ryno it was the neckbrace that allowed to win even though his outright speed is the same?
Titan1
4/29/2021 10:06am
Is there even any solid/factual/scientific (unbiased) proof at all that neck braces are even safer and do what they are advertised to do?

I haven't heard of seen any...and I believe if there was any, that they would (or should) be mandated by sanctioning bodies the world over (just like helmets are-because there is plenty of solid/factual/scientific (unbiased) proof that they work).

Am I missing it?
fourfourone
4/29/2021 10:25am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2021 10:25am
It was said on pulp that the new style Airoh helmets are physically larger then before. This was causing Marvin to have movement issues with the neck brace on.
CKNY
4/29/2021 10:35am
It was said on pulp that the new style Airoh helmets are physically larger then before. This was causing Marvin to have movement issues with the...
It was said on pulp that the new style Airoh helmets are physically larger then before. This was causing Marvin to have movement issues with the neck brace on.
They got bigger and heavier to meet the new ECE 06 standard.

Post a reply to: Eat that Ryno!

The Latest