Easy Fix for the Triple Crown- No need for extra bike.

seventeen
Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 5:37pm
Teams complain about time in between races and the need to furnish another bike...I am not sure how we can deal with the tight night show program time-wise but I have an easy way to solve the need for an extra bike and the extra costs that entails - especially for privateers - who we all love and appreciate!

Here is the solution - of the Triple Mains only count two towards the overall.

Throw away the worst score. Results from this weekend in the 450 class would have been as is...considering an Olympic scoring system contributing to the overall.

1. Tomac 1-1 = 2 pts
2. Webb 2-1 = 3 pts
3. Baggett 4-2 = 6 pts
4. Reed 3-5 = 8pts (beats Musquin on lower throw away)
5. Musquin 4-4 = 8 pts
6. Roczen 5-5 = 10 pts (beats Barcia on lower throw away)
7. Barcia 7-3 = 10 pts
8. Savatgy 8-3 = 11 pts (beats Brayton on lower throw away)
9. Brayton 2-9 = 11 pts
10. Wilson 7-9 = 16 pts.
11. Osborne 10-8 = 18 pts (beats Plessinger on lower throw away)

and so on...

If anyone would have had a bike problem the 22 place finish woul dhave been a throw away. If the bike breaks first race the team could easily have it ready for race two. If it breaks race two you still have a shot at race three. If it breaks at race three you are screwed anyways...
|
seventeen
2/25/2019 12:47pm
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/hdCVcfA6YOTKg/giphy.gif[/img]
Healthy way to contribute to debate and ideas...I imagine you are a low income earner.
TallonT911
2/25/2019 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 12:51pm
Tie breaker is whoever had the better throwaway. I don’t mind it how it is but I don’t hate your way either

Edit: jk you already had that written down, didn’t read all the way through your results
Press516
Fantasy
90th
2/25/2019 1:18pm
Personally, I would rather keep the 3 score format but give them a little longer between moto's. Drop a 2 moto 125 pro race in between the big show motos... Make the Triple Crown night show a 4 hour event instead of a 3 hour event.

We run 8 motos on a regular night, but only 6 on a Triple Crown night...

The Shop

philG
2/25/2019 1:18pm
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/hdCVcfA6YOTKg/giphy.gif[/img]
I will see your shut up and Raise you this
2/25/2019 1:24pm
So you'd choose to have Eli and Austin, the two fastest guys on the day, just sit out the third, deciding race on Saturday? Doesn't sound like good racing to watch to me
Lloydcarter
2/25/2019 1:27pm
Press516 wrote:
Personally, I would rather keep the 3 score format but give them a little longer between moto's. Drop a 2 moto 125 pro race in between...
Personally, I would rather keep the 3 score format but give them a little longer between moto's. Drop a 2 moto 125 pro race in between the big show motos... Make the Triple Crown night show a 4 hour event instead of a 3 hour event.

And how would they fit that into the TV schedule?
APLMAN99
2/25/2019 1:32pm
So you'd choose to have Eli and Austin, the two fastest guys on the day, just sit out the third, deciding race on Saturday? Doesn't sound...
So you'd choose to have Eli and Austin, the two fastest guys on the day, just sit out the third, deciding race on Saturday? Doesn't sound like good racing to watch to me
I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of proposed format is used in some sort of snowmobiling event, if you know what I mean......
Press516
Fantasy
90th
2/25/2019 1:38pm
Press516 wrote:
Personally, I would rather keep the 3 score format but give them a little longer between moto's. Drop a 2 moto 125 pro race in between...

It would be a 4 hour program instead of 3.... What would they be replacing? An hour of Mecham Auction replay or a replay of Tour of Oman Cycling?

I think fans would be fine with a 4 hour program. When I go to an outdoor national, I spend at least 8 hours there.

JMHO.
Press516
Fantasy
90th
2/25/2019 1:40pm
So you'd choose to have Eli and Austin, the two fastest guys on the day, just sit out the third, deciding race on Saturday? Doesn't sound...
This is what happens in the R/C Worlds and Nationals... 3 race format and if someone goes 1-1 in the first 2, they become a spectator... Never a favorite as the suspense is completely gone.
Lloydcarter
2/25/2019 1:47pm
Press516 wrote:

Press516 wrote:
It would be a 4 hour program instead of 3.... What would they be replacing? An hour of Mecham Auction replay or a replay of Tour...
It would be a 4 hour program instead of 3.... What would they be replacing? An hour of Mecham Auction replay or a replay of Tour of Oman Cycling?

I think fans would be fine with a 4 hour program. When I go to an outdoor national, I spend at least 8 hours there.

JMHO.
I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m sure fans would be fine with it. Unfortunately that’s not what it comes down to given the level the sport is at verses the popularity of other things taking up the broadcast slots.
BobbyLight
2/25/2019 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 1:55pm
I just think the teams/riders should have to deal with the current time slots honestly. In so many other forms of racing you have to be fast in the pits. Ever been to a NHRA drag race? They completely tear down and rebuild the entire engine between every pass, and have 55 minutes to do so. They work insanely fast and its awesome to watch. Because of this it's very competitive for the mechanics as far as landing a job, so the bro-canics might not like it but I don't think its ridiculous for the top mechanics in our sport to have to hustle a bit while changing a clutch for a few races a year.

Riders complain that the 3 mains is longer than 1 regular main.....well in nascar sometimes it's 400 miles and sometimes it's 600. The same logic applies to other forms of racing too. Boo hoo
MOTO732
2/25/2019 2:05pm
Sounds like a good scenario. I would change it to...all ties automatically go to Tomac.
Press516
Fantasy
90th
2/25/2019 2:11pm
Press516 wrote:
It would be a 4 hour program instead of 3.... What would they be replacing? An hour of Mecham Auction replay or a replay of Tour...

JMHO.
I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m sure fans would be fine with it. Unfortunately that’s not what it comes down to given the level the sport...
I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m sure fans would be fine with it. Unfortunately that’s not what it comes down to given the level the sport is at verses the popularity of other things taking up the broadcast slots.
I'd like to think we have more viewers than a replay of the Isle of Man TT from 3 years ago.... Know what I mean?

But yeah, they would need advertisers to take up that space as well.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/25/2019 2:24pm
I have a far better solution:

Make the first main not count. It would be sort of a "seeder" race to see who gets the best gate pick. Guys who finished in the top 9 would automatically be guaranteed the best gate picks.
Then, make the second main not count either. It would be sort of a "last hurrah" to get your gate pick and get into the 3rd and final main.
Then, the third main is the one that counts.

Oh, wait...
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
2/25/2019 2:28pm
Falcon wrote:
I have a far better solution: Make the first main not count. It would be sort of a "seeder" race to see who gets the best...
I have a far better solution:

Make the first main not count. It would be sort of a "seeder" race to see who gets the best gate pick. Guys who finished in the top 9 would automatically be guaranteed the best gate picks.
Then, make the second main not count either. It would be sort of a "last hurrah" to get your gate pick and get into the 3rd and final main.
Then, the third main is the one that counts.

Oh, wait...
That's just crazy. It could never work.
Premix
2/25/2019 3:42pm
Cut it down to two motos. Add in the B main. But in the B main, have them do the Toyota gear change challenge half way though.
HusqFan3
2/25/2019 4:55pm
seventeen wrote:
Teams complain about time in between races and the need to furnish another bike...I am not sure how we can deal with the tight night show...
Teams complain about time in between races and the need to furnish another bike...I am not sure how we can deal with the tight night show program time-wise but I have an easy way to solve the need for an extra bike and the extra costs that entails - especially for privateers - who we all love and appreciate!

Throw away the worst score. Results from this weekend in the 450 class would have been as is...considering an Olympic scoring system contributing to the overall.

1. Tomac 1-1 = 2 pts
2. Webb 2-1 = 3 pts
3. Baggett 4-2 = 6 pts
5. Musquin 4-4 = 8 pts
7. Barcia 7-3 = 10 pts
9. Brayton 2-9 = 11 pts
10. Wilson 7-9 = 16 pts.

and so on...

If anyone would have had a bike problem the 22 place finish woul dhave been a throw away. If the bike breaks first race the team could easily have it ready for race two. If it breaks race two you still have a shot at race three. If it breaks at race three you are screwed anyways...
Great idea... so last weekend Tomac could have been in the stands eating popcorn watching the 3rd race since in your ingenious system he’d have locked up first overall already. Brilliant; )
Excaliburbmx
2/25/2019 5:20pm
What if he races the third moto to keep others from scoring points. Riders ride three mains and count the best two.
seventeen
2/25/2019 5:31pm
seventeen wrote:
Teams complain about time in between races and the need to furnish another bike...I am not sure how we can deal with the tight night show...

1. Tomac 1-1 = 2 pts
2. Webb 2-1 = 3 pts
3. Baggett 4-2 = 6 pts
5. Musquin 4-4 = 8 pts
7. Barcia 7-3 = 10 pts
9. Brayton 2-9 = 11 pts
10. Wilson 7-9 = 16 pts.

and so on...

HusqFan3 wrote:
Great idea... so last weekend Tomac could have been in the stands eating popcorn watching the 3rd race since in your ingenious system he’d have locked...
Great idea... so last weekend Tomac could have been in the stands eating popcorn watching the 3rd race since in your ingenious system he’d have locked up first overall already. Brilliant; )
Not quite - sure if he wins the first two they have one but that only holds true for two straught wins. A 1-4(for example) and you gotta go race.

Keep in mind the premise of this idea was to save on the extra expense of additional bikes A. and B. allowing a privateer or a factory rider (think Reeds clutch cover) a mulligan so their night is not totally trashed with a DNF.

Try not to be so "snarky" and think big picture here. We are onto something special with this format from an entertainment perspective but we have to make it manageable for teams and riders.alike.
seventeen
2/25/2019 5:32pm
Premix wrote:
Cut it down to two motos. Add in the B main. But in the B main, have them do the Toyota gear change challenge half way...
Cut it down to two motos. Add in the B main. But in the B main, have them do the Toyota gear change challenge half way though.
I am not adverse to this idea Either...not so sure about the gear change but a B-Main would be great for privateers to get some notice.
seventeen
2/25/2019 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 5:37pm
Press516 wrote:
This is what happens in the R/C Worlds and Nationals... 3 race format and if someone goes 1-1 in the first 2, they become a spectator...
This is what happens in the R/C Worlds and Nationals... 3 race format and if someone goes 1-1 in the first 2, they become a spectator... Never a favorite as the suspense is completely gone.
Partially true...but that is only when a driver/rider goes 1-1. in most of the triple crown events we have had thus far this does not happen, This weekend was an anomaly. I have seen RC races where in triple A-Mains, the winner of the first main breaks their car. The third main makes for a helluva race.

Post a reply to: Easy Fix for the Triple Crown- No need for extra bike.

The Latest