Early 2017 Contract Talks

Whitey
Edited Date/Time 2/1/2016 8:22pm
Im pretty sure its common knowledge Contracts start getting spoken about during the SX season so who is talking to who after 4 rounds?

I think it is becoming pretty obvious this field isnt as "stacked" (fuck i hate that word) as everyone hoped it would be. We have Ryan then a gap with Chad, Jason, Kenny then another gap with Eli, Cole then everyone else.

Going through the teams here are my thoughts

KTM (will they just run a 2 man Team next year?)

Ryan is - as safe as it gets, i think he is signed anyway
Marvin - worth keeping/resigning for another year if not signed already
Dean - Gone

Honda - (Go for Kenny?)

Cole - probably doing enough
Trey - Like the Guy but time to move on, money to be spent on Kenny

Kawasaki (Looking for 1 rider)

Eli - Probably not what they were expecting right about now but on a multi year deal
Wilbur - Enjoy this year/bike while you can Wilbur, it will be your last year on it

Suzuki (looking for 1 maybe 2 riders?)

James - Their patience has to be running out especially the amount i am guessing they are paying him.
Blake - Will never be a threat for a win in SX where it counts to the bean counters, is this his last year there?

Husqavarna - (Hmm maybe looking for 1?)

Jason - he is safe and a good signing by them
Pourcel - Who the fuck knows haha for his sake i hope he has a multi year deal

Yamaha - (I think we know Cooper will be there)

Chad - Just no stopping this Guy, looking good back at home, why not go another year to help groom Cooper

BTO - (looking for 1-3 riders)

Andrew - I believe this is his last year
Justin - Is he going again next year?
Davi - May have done enough to keep his ride here

JGR - (riders set for next year already?)

Justin - i believe is already signed
Weston - signed also?
Phil - Who knows?

Soaring Eagle - (looking for 1-2 riders?)

Kenny - has done enough to stay but will he want too? "Hello who is this? oh Honda! Cool what have you got for me?"
Broc - Is he still year to year?
Jake - If he keeps getting the results he is getting it should be enough to get a decent ride, dont see him winning any time soon though.

What may help some of these guys still land a decent ride even though i dont see the majority of them getting a win is their isnt any top quality winners moving up next year (sans Cooper)

Anybody hearing rumours of talks going on?
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/30/2016 11:13pm
KTM:
Ryan Dungey is signed through 17.
Musquin is signed through 17 as well... maybe longer
Dean Wilson's contract is up this year.

JGR:
Justin Barcia is signed through 2018
Weston Peick and Phil Nicoletti are on one year deals for 2016.

Kawasaki:
Eli Tomac is on the first year of a multi-year deal.
Wil Hahn's contract is up this year.

Honda:
Both Cole Seely and Trey Canard's contracts are up this year. They'll probably attempt to sign Ken Roczen.
Justin Bogle is on a one year Gieco/HRC deal, as far as I'm aware.

Yoshimura:
James Stewart is signed through 2017.
Blake Baggett's contract is up this year.

RCH:
Ken Roczen's contract is up this year and I believe Broc Tickle is on another on year deal for 2016.

BTO:
Andrew Short is retiring after 16.
Justin Brayton's contract is up.
I think Davi Millsaps is on a one year deal for SX only? Maybe it was two years...

Yamaha:
I'm not sure the length of Chad Reed's contract, but he should do another year of SX only...
Cooper Webb has signed a multi-year deal to stay with Yamaha and move to this team...

Husqvarna:
Christophe Pourcel is signed through 2017.
Jason Anderson is signed through 2018 (this guy will be a lifer there).

Garrett314
1/30/2016 11:14pm
I love Dean but I believe he will lose his ride. Reminds me of Grant at Honda (great rider, just a bad string of injuries).

I think Seely will be locked into Honda. Trey I'm not sure. Probably not staying.

I think W. Hahn can keep his ride at Kawi. His results are getting better each week. I expect to see him continue to get better this year.

I think Husky keeps their riders.

I bet JGR resigns Weston. No clue about Phil.

I think Honda will look for a top rider (Roczen, Webb, or Martin).

Ktm will probably add a third rider but no clue.
Crush
1/30/2016 11:15pm
Pretty sure James is signed through 18 isn't he?
Corey_Tallent
1/30/2016 11:16pm
I think Ken needs to go back to KTM. He does not look happy on the yellow bike.

The Shop

Garrett314
1/30/2016 11:18pm
That would be a hell of a stable.

Dungey, Musquin, and Roczen. Definitely back to Team Honda days of the late 80's/early 90's. Don't know how Ktm would have the budget for that, but maybe they can! Would be awesome to see.
Crush
1/30/2016 11:19pm
That is definitely not happening.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/30/2016 11:19pm
Crush wrote:
Pretty sure James is signed through 18 isn't he?
If I remember right, it's through 17.
Juss
1/30/2016 11:26pm
Garrett314 wrote:
I love Dean but I believe he will lose his ride. Reminds me of Grant at Honda (great rider, just a bad string of injuries). I...
I love Dean but I believe he will lose his ride. Reminds me of Grant at Honda (great rider, just a bad string of injuries).

I think Seely will be locked into Honda. Trey I'm not sure. Probably not staying.

I think W. Hahn can keep his ride at Kawi. His results are getting better each week. I expect to see him continue to get better this year.

I think Husky keeps their riders.

I bet JGR resigns Weston. No clue about Phil.

I think Honda will look for a top rider (Roczen, Webb, or Martin).

Ktm will probably add a third rider but no clue.
I don't see W Hahn staying at Kawi. He is not doing any better than JW12 did over there.
kiwifan
1/30/2016 11:36pm
I am hoping Roczen goes to Kawasaki, then again that might upset Eli

Not really sure if Honda will sign anyone else other than Seely and Canard... only option is Martin? (ok, or Roczen)

Honda and Suzuki will have new bikes not sure if that helps them get new riders or not
Garrett314
1/30/2016 11:36pm
Juss wrote:
I don't see W Hahn staying at Kawi. He is not doing any better than JW12 did over there.
You could very well be right. I do think his results will continue to improve this year, though.

Strictly my opinion**** I think if I were Kawi I'd keep Wilbur and add a third rider. I don't think he's costing them that much money, he's getting decent results (could be better, and I think he will get there) but he has a great attitude, represents sponsors well, and the fans really like him). I'd like to see him stay.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
1/30/2016 11:41pm
Canard to bto sports. Canard will have another spotty season, Honda will shop around his relationship with fly will make bto a good fit. Thell go back down to two riders with short retiring and either davi or Justin getting the boot.
RedDirtDog
1/31/2016 12:25am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 3:14am
''quote ML512
Yamaha:
I'm not sure the length of Chad Reed's contract, but he should do another year of SX only...
Cooper Webb has signed a multi-year deal to stay with Yamaha and move to this team... ''quote''

really? shit i bet JGR isn't too happy..

Hope canard stays honda but if he doesn't BTO would be good
brimx153
1/31/2016 12:43am
kiwifan wrote:
I am hoping Roczen goes to Kawasaki, then again that might upset Eli Not really sure if Honda will sign anyone else other than Seely and...
I am hoping Roczen goes to Kawasaki, then again that might upset Eli

Not really sure if Honda will sign anyone else other than Seely and Canard... only option is Martin? (ok, or Roczen)

Honda and Suzuki will have new bikes not sure if that helps them get new riders or not
monster kawasaki . Roczen is nt going there thats for sure!!!
brimx153
1/31/2016 12:52am
his not happy cause he is not winning , its not the bike . put dungey on yellow and ken on ktm , dungey still wins imo
kiwifan
1/31/2016 12:53am
brimx153 wrote:
one can only dream lol :-)
brimx153
1/31/2016 1:03am
brimx153 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
one can only dream lol :-)
true Smile
Reggsie
1/31/2016 1:10am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 1:11am
Doesn't look like Ken really likes the Suzuki, but who am I to say really? Even if he hates it, depending on what the new model is like next year it could be worth his while sticking with them. He'd probably know better than most what is coming and whether it'll gel with him, otherwise I hope he heads to Honda.

Just wish he'd never left KTM really...

Roorda085
1/31/2016 6:20am
Whitey wrote:
Im pretty sure its common knowledge Contracts start getting spoken about during the SX season so who is talking to who after 4 rounds? I think...
Im pretty sure its common knowledge Contracts start getting spoken about during the SX season so who is talking to who after 4 rounds?

I think it is becoming pretty obvious this field isnt as "stacked" (fuck i hate that word) as everyone hoped it would be. We have Ryan then a gap with Chad, Jason, Kenny then another gap with Eli, Cole then everyone else.

Going through the teams here are my thoughts

KTM (will they just run a 2 man Team next year?)

Ryan is - as safe as it gets, i think he is signed anyway
Marvin - worth keeping/resigning for another year if not signed already
Dean - Gone

Honda - (Go for Kenny?)

Cole - probably doing enough
Trey - Like the Guy but time to move on, money to be spent on Kenny

Kawasaki (Looking for 1 rider)

Eli - Probably not what they were expecting right about now but on a multi year deal
Wilbur - Enjoy this year/bike while you can Wilbur, it will be your last year on it

Suzuki (looking for 1 maybe 2 riders?)

James - Their patience has to be running out especially the amount i am guessing they are paying him.
Blake - Will never be a threat for a win in SX where it counts to the bean counters, is this his last year there?

Husqavarna - (Hmm maybe looking for 1?)

Jason - he is safe and a good signing by them
Pourcel - Who the fuck knows haha for his sake i hope he has a multi year deal

Yamaha - (I think we know Cooper will be there)

Chad - Just no stopping this Guy, looking good back at home, why not go another year to help groom Cooper

BTO - (looking for 1-3 riders)

Andrew - I believe this is his last year
Justin - Is he going again next year?
Davi - May have done enough to keep his ride here

JGR - (riders set for next year already?)

Justin - i believe is already signed
Weston - signed also?
Phil - Who knows?

Soaring Eagle - (looking for 1-2 riders?)

Kenny - has done enough to stay but will he want too? "Hello who is this? oh Honda! Cool what have you got for me?"
Broc - Is he still year to year?
Jake - If he keeps getting the results he is getting it should be enough to get a decent ride, dont see him winning any time soon though.

What may help some of these guys still land a decent ride even though i dont see the majority of them getting a win is their isnt any top quality winners moving up next year (sans Cooper)

Anybody hearing rumours of talks going on?
Did you mention a home for Jeremy Martin?
Pirate421
1/31/2016 6:29am
I would love to see Jmart at red bull Ktm. Him and dungey are both from Minn and have the same work ethic and they seem like they would get along well. And the kid just fits into Ktm's persona.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
1/31/2016 6:58am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 6:59am
I see Canard being #2 at Kawi or even a soft #1 at RCH if Roczen leaves. I hadn't thought about BTO but that would be a great fit. I wish he could just stay healthy and could have been a lifer on Honda, oh well. IMO there is no way Honda keeps him and Seely together, two 3-7th place guys are not what HRC wants.
downard254
1/31/2016 7:02am
It'd be weird if Ken left Suzuki right when they are to bring out a new bike, like KTM, only to find the Suzuki turns out to be a hell of a bike. Who knows. If Ken left, I could see Trey go to RCH, or Yosh depending on how the Stewart/Bagget/Roczen thing winds up. Trey if fast, but bad luck has cost him consistency, he could be the most bang for your buck rider available next year. I think the change to a new team would do him well. I don't see KR go back to KTM. That bridge may not be burnt, but it got charred pretty good. And, I doubt KTM would spend what Kenny is worth. Why should they, Dunge is on form, and I think Marvin is going to get better. They have what they need.
endurox
1/31/2016 7:29am
Roczen has a Red Bull contact so no green bike ride for him. Red or Orange for next year.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
1/31/2016 8:26am
-I'd like to see Roczen on the Honda,
-Canard to something with less pressure
-I hope Baggett stays at Suzuki
-Wilson will do good at BTO
-I'd like to see Tickle stay where he's at ( I think he's done a good job)
-James needs to retire if he doesn't have a top 10 season ( and show recovery from race to race)
kiwifan
1/31/2016 12:43pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I see Canard being #2 at Kawi or even a soft #1 at RCH if Roczen leaves. I hadn't thought about BTO but that would be...
I see Canard being #2 at Kawi or even a soft #1 at RCH if Roczen leaves. I hadn't thought about BTO but that would be a great fit. I wish he could just stay healthy and could have been a lifer on Honda, oh well. IMO there is no way Honda keeps him and Seely together, two 3-7th place guys are not what HRC wants.
just a thought and putting it out there, Honda could field a extra 450 (so 3 HRC riders), basically they do now for Bogle..... this idea actually came from ML512 in a previous thread

Now whether Salary comes into it is another question as they probably don't pay much for Bogle...counter arguing that point is that Ken could bring extra sponsorship to the HRC team which would help pay Ken's salary
NathanKershaw
1/31/2016 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 1:06pm
kiwifan wrote:
I agree
Yup!

BTO in '17 will be a good fit for Deano. I think he needs time & no pressure to find his way.
Ted722
1/31/2016 1:24pm
endurox wrote:
Roczen has a Red Bull contact so no green bike ride for him. Red or Orange for next year.
That sure narrows down the bidding wars. I'm guessing Factory Yamaha is out of the equation also.
KC435
1/31/2016 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 1:35pm
Kenny to Honda and Canard to Kawi would be cool. Of course Kenny would have to get used to the sweet looking 2017 Honda. Tough to type coming from a Kawi man!

Post a reply to: Early 2017 Contract Talks

The Latest