Ear Plugs for MX - Do we need them?!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2020 6:59 AM

So I recently bought some Ear Plugs to use when riding my Harley Davidson. I got the EarPeace motorsport plugs and on the packaging they say they are designed for use on road bikes, motor sports and Motocross....I've never thought about wearing ear plugs for moto, but after seeing that i got in touch with the company and did some research and I was pretty surprised on what I found out...i ended up making this video all about it.

What do you guys think are Ear Plugs for racing a good idea? The health reasons speak for themselves, but i reckon there's something to be said about being able to focus more easily as well. It seems like some top pros use them for this reason...

The Number 1 MX product you Didn't know you needed

|

8/20/2020 7:11 AM

I've ridden with them and should do a better job about wearing them... but I really hate how little I can hear the riders around me when we're battling.

|

8/20/2020 7:25 AM

Photo
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/20/2020 7:26 AM

Jbulz wrote:

I've ridden with them and should do a better job about wearing them... but I really hate how little I can hear the riders around me when we're battling.

The's one i've been using have three different 'filters' that allow in different levels of sound. The maximum one's block out pretty much everything, the lowest ones block out a lot but my own bike and the bikes around me i can still hear clearly... might be worth giving something like that a shot

|

8/20/2020 7:27 AM

I can't ride without them. I can focus so much better wearing them and mentally your fatigue is much lower.

|

8/20/2020 7:28 AM

I have been using disposable ones for years, I can't ride without them now. I also find no issues with hearing things around me.

|

8/20/2020 7:36 AM

Should've been having this conversation back when everyone was running White Bros pipes in the late 90s-early 00s

Those things were brutal.

|

Violence You Can Believe In

8/20/2020 7:39 AM

6D Helmets should come with them IMO.

|

8/20/2020 7:41 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote: Photo

Somebody should get that guy that was hammering Sleeter’s thread in here.

|

8/20/2020 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2020 7:43 AM

Might as well ride an E-bike if you hate engine noise so much. For me, I live to hear my 2 cranker crankin' at full tilt!!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

|

Current Rides: 2019 YZ450F & 2015 YZ250
Past Rides: 2018 YZ125, 2007 YZ250, 2005 YZ250F

8/20/2020 7:58 AM

I use the cheap disposable ones they hand out for work on my street bike and snowmobile. It really helps with the wind noise and makes the ride more comfortable. I have never tried during MX, as figured the time on the bike isn't that long but might give it a shot. Notice some of the pros with them during interviews.

|

8/20/2020 8:00 AM

MX915 wrote:

Somebody should get that guy that was hammering Sleeter’s thread in here.

Paging LungButter...

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/20/2020 8:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2020 8:19 AM

I only wear ear-plugs when I take a Suzuki to the track...

I get tired of RoostBuckets CONSTANTLY begging me to let him ride it; because, he doesn't want to get his Hodaka Road Toad Jody Wiesel Replica Special Factory Edition dirty and he knows he'll be the fastest he's ever been on The Mighty Zook...but, still...his begging and pleading gets old...

So, sadly, I just put my Specially Fitted Sennheiser monitors in...crank Tesla's "The Way It Is" and pull the bike off the stand...pull out the KICK STARTER...give it a gente little jab and...off I go...

Pure Awsomeness.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

8/20/2020 8:20 AM

I wear them on my musician side but not when I ride. I've never felt like the volume level while wearing a helmet was that bad.

Then again, when I used to drive my Rhino around, I'd have ringing ears afterward, even with a helmet on. I think the application may make a difference.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/20/2020 8:23 AM

I started wearing disposable ear plugs when I used to do track days on my street bike. Now I wear them when I race moto. It really helps me concentrate. I’ve noticed that several of the top riders (including the current champion) wear them as well.

|

8/20/2020 8:37 AM

I’ve worn them for a number years now, best thing I ever did, wished I wore them when I first started riding. The long term damage to your hearing is very detrimental to your health. Hearing loss, hypersensitivity to your ears, unable to stand high pitched sounds, constant ringing is definitely not a good thing.

Road racers have been wearing ear plugs for years & it doesn’t seem to bother them.

|

8/20/2020 8:53 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote: Photo

I do not recommend using Spiced Ham for hearing protection!

Seriously though, everyone should protect their eyes and ears as much and as often as you can. Foam single use are great or custom sets are nice for people with smaller ears or cauliflower ear etc. I've been considering something like these that offer different db level filters that you can swap out. I'd be able to dial them in for riding or an angle grinder or going to a concert.

Photo

|

8/20/2020 9:42 AM

I think they help with focus too, it just makes everything feel a bit more calm and calculated. I didn't really wear them until the four-stroke era, but for my vintage 125 with shorty silencer they are pretty much mandatory too!

|

8/20/2020 10:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2020 10:43 AM

GripNRip617 wrote:

Might as well ride an E-bike if you hate engine noise so much. For me, I live to hear my 2 cranker crankin' at full tilt!!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

Its not about hating engine noise at all. Its about protecting your hearing which, once damaged, is not repairable.

I never used earplugs when i was younger, and all my years of motorcycle riding caused tinnitus (faint, constant high pitched ring) in my right ear. Its something i have to live with for the rest of my life.

Now, every time i ride any of my gas bikes I wear -33db earplugs. Earplugs don't completely mute the sound, they just lower the volume of all sounds around you. You can still hear your bike and other bikes just fine. You'll find that wearing earplugs allows you to focus better and concentrate on your riding.

Every rider should be wearing earplugs. Don't be silly.

Here's a link to the plugs i use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGZ6RNY/

|

8/20/2020 10:55 AM

GripNRip617 wrote:

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Its not about hating engine noise at all. Its about protecting your hearing which, once damaged, is not repairable.

I never used earplugs when i was younger, and all my years of motorcycle riding caused tinnitus (faint, constant high pitched ring) in my right ear. Its something i have to live with for the rest of my life.

Now, every time i ride any of my gas bikes I wear -33db earplugs. Earplugs don't completely mute the sound, they just lower the volume of all sounds around you. You can still hear your bike and other bikes just fine. You'll find that wearing earplugs allows you to focus better and concentrate on your riding.

Thank you for your input, you have really changed my perspective on hearing protection, I'll definitely look into that...

Photo

|

Current Rides: 2019 YZ450F & 2015 YZ250
Past Rides: 2018 YZ125, 2007 YZ250, 2005 YZ250F

8/20/2020 11:13 AM

I've always worn ear plugs when riding.......no hindrance at all.

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

8/20/2020 11:48 AM

GripNRip617 wrote:

Thank you for your input, you have really changed my perspective on hearing protection, I'll definitely look into that...

Photo

You’ll reap what you sow. Guy was trying to give you some friendly advice & you try to mug him off.

|

8/20/2020 11:53 AM

I have always wore them so it feels strange without them. Also wear them at work so very natural for me. I can hear people talking to me just the same as without for what ever reason.

I like Ritz with spam on them. Yum

|

8/20/2020 12:18 PM

What did you say? Speak louder I can't hear you.

|

8/20/2020 12:48 PM

I perforated my right eardrum when i was 3. Never healed. Trying to preserve the hearing in the left. So I wear ear plugs when doing lawn stuff; even the battery powered stuff makes quite a bit of noise. But NOTHING is louder than sitting in a line of bikes waiting for practice on race day. Holy Shit! Stop revving the fuck out your bikes the entire fing time, you animals——HaHa!

|

8/20/2020 12:51 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

6D Helmets should come with them IMO.

Agreed. I just got a 6D this year. It almost seems to amplify the sounds. Especially when you get hit by a rock, or hit your head on something.

|

8/20/2020 12:52 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Same here - constant ringing in right ear. Coincidence that the exhaust is on the right side? Probably...

|

8/20/2020 1:06 PM

GripNRip617 wrote:

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

theycallmeebryan wrote:

GripNRip617 wrote:

Photo

And thank you for your opinion Grip.

Photo

|

8/20/2020 1:09 PM

I can't ride without ear plugs anymore. It's painful to ride without them. I wear ear pro doing most noisy things nowadays.

|

8/20/2020 2:49 PM

GripNRip617 wrote:

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

theycallmeebryan wrote:

38special wrote:

Same here - constant ringing in right ear. Coincidence that the exhaust is on the right side? Probably...

Should've got a Honda. Ringing in BOTH ears!

|