ET next supercross season

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2018 5:39 AM

I wonder if he will change the way he approaches the races.
Will he be more like Dungey (and Anderson this year) in his approach, or will he continue with the Stewart mind set?
So far, the Stewart style hasn't paid off very well for him.

|

4/24/2018 10:49 PM

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Tomac needs to hire MC, RC, RV or Dungey to teach him how to manage a SX season. What he is doing now is not working.

|

4/24/2018 11:16 PM

Idk I thought he would after last year but who knows . Having 15+ wins in the last two years he certainly should have a championship by now

|

4/24/2018 11:30 PM

Current National Champ and the guy that's won 1 out of every two Supercross mains for two seasons. If I'm.not mistaken he has more main event wins in two seasons than the next eight or so guys have total career mains combined.
Seems to me he's on top of his game more than any rider in the class.

|

4/24/2018 11:38 PM

And yet he cant win a championship

|

4/25/2018 12:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2018 12:55 AM

Whatever he did last year seemed to work pretty well, obviously he didn't end up with the title but his only finish outside the top ten was due to his front brake failing at one of the rounds. This year has just been a disaster, I don't know what he has to do but staying off the ground would be a good start.

|

4/25/2018 12:17 AM

SCR wrote:

Current National Champ and the guy that's won 1 out of every two Supercross mains for two seasons. If I'm.not mistaken he has ...more

And still 1st loser, he (and/ or team - including dad) has got to take a look at things and change somethings - what though? Nothing major maybe just little things.

Next year you will have MM looking to win, JA21 with winning confidence and maybe KR back to full fitness.

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

4/25/2018 12:18 AM

Inconsistency is killing Tomac's title chances each year. One weekend he slays everyone, the next one he's 15th, where Dungey was 4th on his worse nights.

|

4/25/2018 12:32 AM

just James wrote:

I wonder if he will change the way he approaches the races.
Will he be more like Dungey (and Anderson this year) in his ...more

What's "the Stewart mind set" and how do you know that's ET's approach?...what was Anderson's "approach" this year? It's not going to matter anyway, Roczen will be back.

|

4/25/2018 12:36 AM

I don't think we'll see Tomac change his way of riding. If anything, put some pressure on him, that'll slow him down whistling

|

4/25/2018 1:23 AM

I think he had the right mindset this year. I believe eli got unlucky from that crash at a1. It wasnt that hard of a crash and he got injured. Was really weird.

|

4/25/2018 2:52 AM

More of the same

|

4/25/2018 4:27 AM

“Wait till next year”...Sounds like Red Sox disease. (At least prior to their recent championships)

|

4/25/2018 4:53 AM

I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. He’s a worse version of James Stewart. For ten years we waited for Stewart to be a smart racer and manage a championship to perfection. It never happened unless he was head and shoulders above his competition, thus eliminating the mental aspect of things. Thing is, Tomac isn’t head and shoulders above his competition talent wise and speed wise like Stewart was during his championships in that window post RC and pre Ryans (07-09). Reed was closer in 09 for sure, but just didn’t quite have enough to pressure Stewart the whole series. Did at select races though no doubt.

Now let me clear this up a bit. The fact that Tomac and Stewart are this great while being mentally weak is obviously a testament to how amazing the rest of their game is. It’s so good that they can and do overcome that aspect of it at times. It’s just extremely hard to do over the course of a championship when riders are at or near your equal. Stewart was widely considered the greatest talent we’d ever seen and he “only” walked away with three championships and spent the final six years of his career still being extremely fast and never getting one. Tomac, widely considered this era’s greatest talent (on this side of the pond anyway), is in his fifth year on the 450 and has one championship to show for it. A championship in which everyone kept tossing it away and he won it with one of the lowest point totals ever. Will he change? I’m not sure it’s in his DNA, much like it wasn’t in Stewart’s.

|

4/25/2018 4:59 AM

Ive been calling tomac the new js for years. It doesnt mean he is doing anything that james did. They both seem to have the same problems

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

4/25/2018 5:09 AM

A1 set the tone for the year for him. It was a dumb little crash that could have happened to anyone. So he got 1 point for that race and then sat out the next one to heal up. That's 2 races gone. Then another round he managed just one point because his bike got tore up in a first turn crash. 3 races gone and 63 points back right now... If he podiumed those 3 races, he would be right there and/or leading the points. Wish we could be seeing a battle in Vegas this year for the championship. Guess that's what we have the 250 class for.

|

4/25/2018 5:17 AM

shuggs wrote:

And still 1st loser, he (and/ or team - including dad) has got to take a look at things and change somethings - what though? ...more

Most likely 2nd loser if you want to look at it like that with MM25 ahead in points.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

4/25/2018 5:30 AM

I think that if he just stays off the ground at A1 things are looking so much better for him. Not sure if it was a moment where he lacked focus, or if something else happened, but that little crash cost him pretty big.

I know this is hypothetical, but if he doesn't go down at A1 that is a 27 point swing in his favor against Anderson. Add 25 points to Tomac (1 + 25 = 26 for the win). Anderson (23 - 2 = 21 for 3rd). On top of that, Tomac looks to get more points at Round 2 because he doesn't have an injured shoulder. Even if he just got 4th, that's 19 points, so add 46 points to what he has and then he is kind of in this thing. He had 3 other bad rounds, Oakland, San Diego (pants issue??), and Indy (crashed chasing Musquin).

I wont say he doesn't need to fix some things, because the race where he crashed riding with Musquin he could have settled in for an easy 2nd, but stuff happens. Look at how many guys are out right now, top guys, SX can be brutal.

I think just reflecting on the past 2 season may be enough for him to realize that he needs to work to salvage as many points as he can during a race if he crashes or has an issue. And as much as I hate to say it, he does need to focus on more urgency when he crashses. I thought his little thumbs up deal might have cost him 2nd last week.

He needs the mindset of JS7 in the first Terrafirma. (Dad said, you better) "pick that bike up and go!"

|

4/25/2018 5:57 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

What's "the Stewart mind set" and how do you know that's ET's approach?...what was Anderson's "approach" this year? It's not ...more

Who?? Oh Roczen? The guy who gets injured before the half way point of the season, EVERY season?! Yeah, can't wait to see him in action again.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

4/25/2018 6:00 AM

If Eli wasn't around what would we talk about the last 2 years?

|

4/25/2018 6:15 AM

I guess 3 championships and a shit ton of wins means the guy sucks balls. I love vital analytics.

|

4/25/2018 6:57 AM

early wrote:

You've been here long enough man, you know full well what the answer to that is. Don't make me say it.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/25/2018 6:59 AM

early wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

You've been here long enough man, you know full well what the answer to that is. Don't make me say it.

JS7 comeback

|

4/25/2018 7:19 AM

SCR wrote:

Current National Champ and the guy that's won 1 out of every two Supercross mains for two seasons. If I'm.not mistaken he has ...more

shuggs wrote:

And still 1st loser, he (and/ or team - including dad) has got to take a look at things and change somethings - what though? ...more

1st loser, right. With the exception of Reed he's the only guy in the entire class with a 450 title, and has more SX wins than the entire field combined.
JA21 will know Tomac is still faster week in and week out and he will have to ride out of his comfort zone to beat him or hope Tomac makes a mistake.
Anderson was 20 seconds off Tomac last week. I go to races or watch on TV to see the best riders racing for the win, not lay up and manage the points lead 20 seconds back. Did RC, MC, or RJ ever lay up. Hell no.

MM better not wait till next year to look for wins. I think the reason he pulled that shit house block pass on Tomac was because he panicked at the thought of facing DeCoster after leading the whole race and giving it up with a lap to go. The move was so bad he couldn't even defend it and instead tried to sell some story that didn't sound so bad. Like an eight year old getting caught in the cookie jar. Same as he did when he Let Broc Bye.

I hope Roczen is back next year. But right now Honda is paying multi millions for the second straight year for his bike to sit on the stand every week. Roczen is out this year and maybe for good because he tried to take out Webb over a twitter fight about a chick.

But according to the experts around here Tomac is a head case and needs some kind of moto pschycologist to help him find his way to a championship. Yet at every round of SX or MX he is the most likely to win.

|

4/25/2018 7:24 AM

I thought his post was spot on. Being fast doesn't automatically mean you are mentally tough. We can look back at the history books in many sports to see that. I'll give you one. Damon Bradshaw. Very fast, but mentally weak.

Tomac is cut from the same cloth. He threw away the SX championship last year. He barely eked out the MX championship. He has a tendency to get flustered and he takes a long time to get up from a simple lay down. Probably out of frustration.

Those are all signs of mental weakness.

|

4/25/2018 8:01 AM

ehr400 wrote:

I guess 3 championships and a shit ton of wins means the guy sucks balls. I love vital analytics.

project much?

would you like to piont out where anybody has said tomac suckballs?

and who in fck uses a term like that?
someone who projects to much, way way to much.

the reactions to disscussions about riders from fanbois, nuthugger or projector is fckin hilarious..

keep it up mrsuckballs

|

4/25/2018 8:11 AM

dude is fast as fuck, it's the triple between his ears that he has a tough time getting over sometimes. dude is a head case.

|

4/25/2018 8:19 AM

peelout wrote:

dude is fast as fuck, it's the triple between his ears that he has a tough time getting over sometimes. dude is a head case.

Nailed it!

|

4/25/2018 8:26 AM

peelout wrote:

Tacosnbeers wrote:

Nailed it!

And that's why a guy like Dungey was so impressive. That dude mentally was tough as fuckin nails.

Several people had him covered speed wise. Tomac, Roczen, Stewart, etc.

But none of those guys are even close in Dungey's league on the mental side of things. Mentally they are like back markers compared to Dungey.

|

4/25/2018 8:59 AM

Again, being skilled and being mentally strong are not the same thing. Eli is very skilled. He goes fast. He jumps big jumps. But he's seems to be mentally weak given what we have seen.

Dungey wasn't skilled enough to match Eli's speed every race. But he was much more mentally strong. That's why he beat Eli in championships.

Dungey deals with adversity much better then Eli. And that has nothing to do with skill or big jumps.

|