ET Damage Control: To Little, to Late?

wfopete
5/30/2018 5:44am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2018 10:01pm
I wonder if Aldon Baker is making any adjustments to JA's or MM's training/diet to compensate for thier lack of staying power or is ET too far ahead physically to get JA/MM up to that level in time to make a differance? Are they just hoping ET will auger in and take himself out of the series voluntarily? Maybe they are thinking strategy; "Just maintain. One bad finish for ET and we're right there"!
|
kb228
5/30/2018 5:47am
I think eli has a huge advantage by training at altitude. Hes just as fit as anderson and marv with way less oxygen. So when he goes back down to sea level to race his body has so much oxygen its probably similar to blood doping legitimately.

I might be way off but just my observation.
tempura
5/30/2018 5:49am
Aldon is yet to pull out his “secret weapon”, the 4arm strong...
mx317
5/30/2018 5:50am
5/30/2018 6:10am
kb228 wrote:
I think eli has a huge advantage by training at altitude. Hes just as fit as anderson and marv with way less oxygen. So when he...
I think eli has a huge advantage by training at altitude. Hes just as fit as anderson and marv with way less oxygen. So when he goes back down to sea level to race his body has so much oxygen its probably similar to blood doping legitimately.

Totally agree with you on that. How could it not be an advantage? Anyone that has never run a mile at 5000+ altitude, give it a try and you'll see we're saying.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2050th
5/30/2018 6:15am
kb228 wrote:
I think eli has a huge advantage by training at altitude. Hes just as fit as anderson and marv with way less oxygen. So when he...

Totally agree with you on that. How could it not be an advantage? Anyone that has never run a mile at 5000+ altitude, give it a...
Totally agree with you on that. How could it not be an advantage? Anyone that has never run a mile at 5000+ altitude, give it a try and you'll see we're saying.
I thought training in the heat and humidity of Florida was the advantage to have?
wfopete
5/30/2018 6:18am
Maybe they should eat more Zebra?
5/30/2018 6:19am
kb228 wrote:

Totally agree with you on that. How could it not be an advantage? Anyone that has never run a mile at 5000+ altitude, give it a...
early wrote:
I thought training in the heat and humidity of Florida was the advantage to have?
I think both are an advantage. In fact, I can tell you that Eli melted in the second Moto last September at the USGP. He said he felt like he was wearing a blanket in Moto 2.
stone881
5/30/2018 6:21am
kb228 wrote:

Bingo! Spend 3 hours pedaling a mtb up/down and around at 9000 feet if you are living at sea level and the difference is quite noticeable. Additionally growing up at elevation can give you anatomically larger lungs than normal.

I just bought 45 acres about 10 miles north of Cortez, tracks to come, in case anyone wants to come and train at 6800 feet.
keinz
5/30/2018 6:24am
So far i don't understand, why all the MX guys don't train in the higher altitudes. In Nordic skiing it's commom that the teams going to the boot camp to the highter mountains before the season starts. And if you can't afford that. We have **Alp houses**, where basicaly artificially same conditions like in the hight mountains. It's all about increase your red blood cells.

Fuuck. I have to start selling those houses to the teamsSmile
dmoore611
5/30/2018 6:33am
kb228 wrote:

I live at 7000’ and was told the body produces an extra pint of blood to compensate for the lack oxygen your blood can hold with 7 pints (I may be off on the pint count). We had an NFL player move to our little mountain town for a summer so he could train at altitude and gain the benefits, albeit a brief competitive gain because he left the area. In ET3’s case he doesn’t lose the edge.

I know I feel like I have an advantage when I go to sea level, especially when everyone around me is sucking wind and I’m not. Shit, I don’t even train except for the occasional 12 oz. curl.
aees
5/30/2018 6:35am
keinz wrote:
So far i don't understand, why all the MX guys don't train in the higher altitudes. In Nordic skiing it's commom that the teams going to...
So far i don't understand, why all the MX guys don't train in the higher altitudes. In Nordic skiing it's commom that the teams going to the boot camp to the highter mountains before the season starts. And if you can't afford that. We have **Alp houses**, where basicaly artificially same conditions like in the hight mountains. It's all about increase your red blood cells.

Fuuck. I have to start selling those houses to the teamsSmile
Because half of the season the racers will benefit from training in humid and hot areas for acclimation. Skiing is clear cut, no hot weather to care for.

NVA57
Fantasy
1855th
5/30/2018 6:42am
Herlings said recently he's on a diet provided by Baker. I just think Eli is better at riding dirt bikes than Musquin and Anderson
Idp57
Fantasy
2554th
5/30/2018 6:44am
So Herlings is a part time Bakers boy?
AngryBear
5/30/2018 6:47am
mammoth track club (mammoth lakes, ca @ 8,000ft) was the go to spot for ryan hall and a lot of other very very fast olympic marathoners for a reason.

killian jornet is arguably the best mountain ultrarunner in the world, he grew up at 7,000/ft

most people don't realize that ethiopia (consistently home of the fastest marathoners) is high elevation (4,000-9000ft).

the list goes on

i spent a few weeks at mostly above 10,000ft in the sierras (fastpacking) and coming back to sea level in socal was amazing. after only that short of an acclimation period.

no way around it, elevation training is a huge advantage.

no doubt the FL training has advantages with the heat/humidity. i'm surprised oxygen deprivation sleep tents haven't made their way into the training programs there.
5/30/2018 6:53am
kb228 wrote:

early wrote:
Why do you think fighters go out of their way to do altitude training. It must be incorporated to any training regime.
Racer111
5/30/2018 7:11am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 11:47am
For all of you that are scratching your head, training at altitude DOES NOT change the size of your lungs. It just raises your blood hematocrit level naturally instead of doping with banned substances. Your body makes more red blood cells. Triathletes and cyclists train at altitude. When your racing at sea level, you have way more red blood cells than those who don’t and you feel like you have an endless supply of oxygen that allows you to faster and last longer. That’s the dumb’d down version for everyone.

It’s natural doping.
early
Fantasy
2050th
5/30/2018 7:14am
Why do you think fighters go out of their way to do altitude training. It must be incorporated to any training regime.
I was being facetious. 10 years ago the thought was Forida was the secret weapon.
WCRider
Fantasy
2177th
5/30/2018 7:15am
Thunder Valley is going to be interesting.
Ted722
5/30/2018 7:17am
To early too tell.
wfopete
5/30/2018 7:22am
Lakewood is only at 5500' but JA will wilt just from thinking about it.
5/30/2018 7:23am
Give it time. Statistics show Tomac will Tomac. Points will even out. Unfortunate but true.
KDXGarage
5/30/2018 7:28am
I thought this was a Roseanne Barr thread for a second.

I don't think it is too little, too late, but they are definitely worried.
SweetDaddy
5/30/2018 7:30am
You can do the same training regimen as Michael Jordan but you will never be Michael Jordan
51xc
5/30/2018 7:42am
aldon baker is not john tomac. john tomac himself has competed on the highest level possible in xc, downhill and road racing. nobody heard of aldon baker before RC hired him. I'm not saying baker is a rubbish trainer but john is one of the best athletes mointainbiking has ever seen. there is a huge carry-over onto eli. that's why he has the edge as soon as it get's tough in my opinion.
SKlein
5/30/2018 7:53am
Ted722 wrote:
To early too tell.
Two much too handle.
VicDaMoan03
5/30/2018 7:54am
wfopete wrote:
Which doesn't make sense to me since JA is from Albuquerque which is about 5400'.
drt410
5/30/2018 7:56am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2018 8:01am
tempura wrote:
Aldon is yet to pull out his “secret weapon”, the 4arm strong...
Hahhahahahahhaha. Do you guys remember when he posted about that piece of crap on here and had no idea what he was in for. The vitards absolutely demoolished him with masturbation jokes n all kinds of shit n I think someone even got him to swear at them on here. He completely broke character lol. People were like geeeeet the hell out of here with that stupid ripoff piece of plastic bullshit for like $250 and take your “10% discount” where its still $200 too expensive and shove it up your ass. He had never been here before and has never been back lolllll.
kb228
5/30/2018 7:56am
wfopete wrote:
Which doesn't make sense to me since JA is from Albuquerque which is about 5400'.
Your body adjusts to different altitudes. Jason can adjust to it but he would have to spend months there.
5/30/2018 7:56am
kb228 wrote:

There is no conclusive scientific evidence that training at high altitudes provides an advantage at sea level (training at altitude does provide an advantage when performing at altitude versus athletes training at sea level).

You just won't be able to take advantage of the extra count in red blood cells at sea level, it is not how the body works.

I don't think Eli has an edge in terms of being more physically fit than the rest of the Elite riders. I just think he's faster -sometimes too fast for his own good-. Anderson appears to be under trained for two 34-minute motos, but the rest of them? Nay.

PS: the other rider who is dominating the sport is Herlings. The dude is Dutch. Netherlands is as flat and as low as Florida (albeit less hot).
eGGz
5/30/2018 8:00am
Give it time. Statistics show Tomac will Tomac. Points will even out. Unfortunate but true.
Still, it must be somewhat psychologically defeating knowing that your only chance at the championship is if your main competition has a crash, injury, or mechanical failure.

Post a reply to: ET Damage Control: To Little, to Late?

The Latest