ESR cylinder machining problems

Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
1/29/2020 11:44am
TW85 wrote:
I don’t know about this stuff but I do have a question. Is it not insane investing $400,000 in a machine to pump out some big...
I don’t know about this stuff but I do have a question. Is it not insane investing $400,000 in a machine to pump out some big bore kits? I understand you would amortize it over say 20 years and it would have value you could sell it for but still that’s a lot of coin.

I just struggle to understand how there can be a return on the investment. Or does he have a full machine shop kinda deal and ESR stuff is on the side?
500guy wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, how can a small business do enough work to pay for the machine let alone make money. The other thing...
I was thinking the same thing, how can a small business do enough work to pay for the machine let alone make money.

The other thing that makes me wonder, if I sold a $400K Machine and the guy was having trouble, I would min get one of my top guy's to demonstrate the process a few times.
Dtat720 wrote:
You'd be surprised at the lack of support in this industry. I bought 2 brand new cnc band saws 2 years ago. Supposed to have been...
You'd be surprised at the lack of support in this industry. I bought 2 brand new cnc band saws 2 years ago. Supposed to have been set up by the tech's. I ended up setting them up. The distributor promised for 8 months to have a tech come fine tune them. Never happened. $120k in saws and i paid myself for set up.

Main reason i stick with Mazak and Hurco. Pay a little more, but i have bulletproof machines and their support is second to none. Ive tried several others and ended up selling them off, buying more Mazaks.
500guy...sad to say some people like us would bend over backwards after a sale, however, there are those that won't answer the phone once the check clears.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
1/29/2020 11:53am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2020 11:54am
After seeing his hideous yz of his, then seeing him get pissy and butthurt all over here about it when myself and others were just being...
After seeing his hideous yz of his, then seeing him get pissy and butthurt all over here about it when myself and others were just being smartasses making fun of it, my guess here is it’s probably not all the machines fault.
Madmax31 wrote:
Why do you get off being a dick? Low self-esteem?
Wow someone is sensitive lol

If you saw the bike and the shit he was talking you would understand
Sorry, a little harsh I guess. I don't know the background. From what it seemed a guy posted his bike that he worked hard on I'm sure and you made fun of it. Just seems uncalled for and mean spirited...but I guess that's the world we live in today. We need more small guys in the business doing shit like that. I guess if I didn't like it I wouldn't say anything instead of bashing his company.
motomike894
1/29/2020 12:52pm
Madmax31 wrote:
Why do you get off being a dick? Low self-esteem?
Wow someone is sensitive lol

If you saw the bike and the shit he was talking you would understand
Madmax31 wrote:
Sorry, a little harsh I guess. I don't know the background. From what it seemed a guy posted his bike that he worked hard on I'm...
Sorry, a little harsh I guess. I don't know the background. From what it seemed a guy posted his bike that he worked hard on I'm sure and you made fun of it. Just seems uncalled for and mean spirited...but I guess that's the world we live in today. We need more small guys in the business doing shit like that. I guess if I didn't like it I wouldn't say anything instead of bashing his company.
I didn’t bash his company just Made fun of his hideous bike he posted lol, then he got pissed.

People make fun me all the time I couldn’t imagine being that sensitive must suck.
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
1/29/2020 1:05pm
I didn’t bash his company just Made fun of his hideous bike he posted lol, then he got pissed. People make fun me all the time...
I didn’t bash his company just Made fun of his hideous bike he posted lol, then he got pissed.

People make fun me all the time I couldn’t imagine being that sensitive must suck.
mike, your just being a big fat meanie....lol

The Shop

Hudd_421
1/29/2020 1:11pm
I didn’t bash his company just Made fun of his hideous bike he posted lol, then he got pissed. People make fun me all the time...

dl117 wrote:
Have you not witnessed:

1. His hideous bike with [insert local hack job graphic company]
2. His ridiculous, argumentative posts?

Once you've seen the way that customer's post, you'll be along with us. Laughing
I'm in no way bashing ESR, sounds like a shitty situation.
motomike894
1/29/2020 1:16pm

dl117 wrote:
Lmfao
GODZILLA
1/29/2020 1:56pm
Back by popular demand: best bike on earth, ever!
Wink
SEEMEFIRST
1/29/2020 8:41pm
I used to do a bunch of injection molding tooling on an Okuma .

I can't see how any machine couldn't pull off a motorcycle cylinder.
2/1/2020 1:18pm
MOTO120 wrote:
Any of you guys with these fancy machines want to provide me some quotes on producing some Aluminum bicycles parts for my company Cool ?
Dtat720 wrote:
What kind of parts? I machine custom hubs, disc brake pieces, bottom brackets and rear cogs. I have 19 lathes and 5 verticals. Can make anything...
What kind of parts? I machine custom hubs, disc brake pieces, bottom brackets and rear cogs. I have 19 lathes and 5 verticals. Can make anything for bicycles
MOTO120 wrote:
Awesome! Could you shoot me an email at info@slfmotion.com and I'll send you over some prints/files?

Thanks man!
Blake
Dude we need a vitalmx discount code for you're ospw kits CoolWhistlingGrinning
2/1/2020 1:28pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Back by popular demand: best bike on earth, ever! ;) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/29/401060/s1200_s1200_IMG_20181208_120116538_HDR.jpg[/img]
Wink
philG
2/1/2020 1:39pm
We have 3 big 5 Axis Makino's , machining large aero parts. sometimes big stuff is easier cos we can get to it.. we are doing stuff at 3.8m diameter, and accuracy of ± 0.050mm

If he has bought that through a used vendor he is on his own, sadly.
BCE
2/1/2020 2:20pm
I checked out the website of ESR.
And he makes complete engine cases for quads:
Thats what he is referring to, in the message of the first post.

https://www.eddie-sanders-racing.com/product-p/trxatccentercases2000.htm

There is even a movie clip with the product on the machine,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6UsgQKzCw&feature=emb_logo

The price for those cases are pretty sharp.
I am a engineer, and if this was some kind of machine part it would be at least 5x higher.

Respect for the effort put in.

Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
2/1/2020 2:43pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Back by popular demand: best bike on earth, ever! ;) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/29/401060/s1200_s1200_IMG_20181208_120116538_HDR.jpg[/img]
Wink
Looks ok to good to me?
philG
2/1/2020 3:36pm
BCE wrote:
I checked out the website of ESR. And he makes complete engine cases for quads: Thats what he is referring to, in the message of the...

I am a engineer, and if this was some kind of machine part it would be at least 5x higher.

Looking at that , its doesn't look like its a 5 axis machine , so its not state of the art , as such. That said, if you don't need it don't buy it.

That's a probing cycle to set each part offset to the centre of the B axis .
tzmike
2/1/2020 5:25pm
ESR is well known for casting NLA engine cases for older TRX250Rs and similar NLA items
He produces cylinders with power valves that never were produced for the older but desirable rides. I think a set of bare ESR quad cases are in the 1k range
So. It could be a money maker.
2/4/2020 1:02am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2020 1:15am
BCE wrote:
I checked out the website of ESR. And he makes complete engine cases for quads: Thats what he is referring to, in the message of the...

philG wrote:
Looking at that , its doesn't look like its a 5 axis machine , so its not state of the art , as such. That said...
Looking at that , its doesn't look like its a 5 axis machine , so its not state of the art , as such. That said, if you don't need it don't buy it.

That's a probing cycle to set each part offset to the centre of the B axis .
Engine cases which assemble in halves can be done with a 3 axis machine. Horizontal machining centers like this Makino (a TOP level machine by the way) are basically 3 axis machines, with 4th axis indexing. They are pallet changers so the parts can be fixed to the machining area OFF LINE. This is the BIG advantage of Horizontals. You can set up a part, while another part is machining. They are machine tools for high volume mfg.

Usually with an HMC the $ spent on cutting tools and fixtures EXCEEDS the cost of the machine!...and that is for a NEW machine. If you buy a used HMC, and want to use it to its capability...you can expect to pay multiples of the machine cost in tooling. Why? The criteria that is used to judge if a HMC is being utilized properly is execution time %. The goal in top tier mfg is 95%. You want the machine to be executing a program 95% of the time. The other 5% is spent on preventative maintenance. That is 95% based on 24 hours x 365 days x .95 = 8300 HOURS a year in program. To do that...you need every tool you could ever need, for all materials, plus back up tools, IN THE TOOL MAG. HMCs often have tool mags with 200-600 tools. You also need a ton of pallets and all fixtures. You also need the programmers to keep up with material flow. If you are not running a night shift, you are not going to properly utilize an HMC unless you get an FMS system that queues up and buffers your pallets. You might have 50 pallets, and at any time you have 25 of them set up in a computer controlled pallet storage system. The system sends parts to the HMC and retrieves them from the HMC. This creates a buffering system that allows you to insure the HMC is ALWAYS running, 24x7.

Frankly, I can not see how a HMC would pan out for a niche mfg operation like this. There is just not enough volume. The way you know you might need a HMC is if disposal of machining chips is something you have to put a lot of effort into. When you are disposing of TONS of chips per week (or day), THEN you know you need an HMC. This was the wrong tool for the job.

Post a reply to: ESR cylinder machining problems

The Latest