EMX250 age limit

crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/15/2018 6:00am
Oh boy this is bad
Too lazy to look up now but off the top of my head there are at least 3 riders in the top 10 this season that are above 23 years. Clarke, Pocock, Barr.
Also for example Marshal Weltin won't have a ride for next season. He was planned to ride for F&H Kawasaki in EMX250 because he ages out of MX2 and didn't want to go to MXGP.

I guess they only have the 250 2 Stroke class now if they want to make money on international level

|
RG1
10/15/2018 6:06am
If MX2 was run properly there would be no reason for an EMX250 class. This will cause some shit though, as there are already deals in place for riders over 23 in EMX250 in 2019. Maybe this will be the catalyst for getting MX2 right for 2020. I'm not optimistic though
10/15/2018 6:12am
How the hell can they age limit both classes? I believe EMX250 should be for riders up to 23 years old not MX2. So many riders out of a job now.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/15/2018 6:13am
How the hell can they age limit both classes? I believe EMX250 should be for riders up to 23 years old not MX2. So many riders...
How the hell can they age limit both classes? I believe EMX250 should be for riders up to 23 years old not MX2. So many riders out of a job now.
Yeah that way it would make sense. EMX as a stepping stone and limited to 23 years, and then MX2 without a limit.
Maybe they are gonna take away the MX2 limit, but it's kind of late now for next year, so I guess 2020 earliest...
DonM
10/15/2018 6:54am
How are that out of touch with the needs of the sport...

The Shop

vschaik141
10/15/2018 6:55am
So they are basically forcing riders into the emx 2t class?
DonM
10/15/2018 6:58am
vschaik141 wrote:
So they are basically forcing riders into the emx 2t class?
Or to America...
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/15/2018 7:15am
Why not have an emx open class with 450s? The emx 2t seems so dumb if that's the only class a guy over 23 without a MX1 ride can go.
hamncheeze
10/15/2018 8:56am
I do not understand why they would do this? There are not enough MXGP rides already, which causes problems down the line in MX2. For example, what does Brylakov do for 2019? He's aged out, has had bad luck with injury, etc. He probably cannot find a MXGP team, so he could have rode EMX but.....

The real solution here is two-fold: First, get rid of the age rule in MX2 and come up with a pointing out rule. Riders should have to move up only if they are truly good enough. Second, cut back the number of flyaway races to keep costs slightly more reasonable and encourage a few more teams and sponsors to stay in the sport.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/15/2018 9:32am
Simone Furlotti:

Changing the rules in October is NOT fair! @mxgp. It may be right for the age limit in the European 250, but then it (the rule) must be removed from the MX2 World Championship. And above all you can’t change the rules in October when you know very well that riders sign contracts before that
BR8ES
10/15/2018 9:38am
Hey everybody, let's chase peope away to various countries National series or out of the sport....
Motofinne
10/15/2018 9:50am
I have absolutely no problem with an age rule in EMX250. But that means that the MX2 23 year old rule has to go. If not completely removing it at least put it to 25 so guys that are too old for EMX can race MX2 for 2 years.

Removing the MX2 age rule would be the best but i can't see that happening.

GD2
Fantasy
854th
10/15/2018 9:50am
Stupid. Lots of dudes already have EMX250 deals signed for next year and just like that they're out of a job.
jeffro503
10/15/2018 9:50am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 9:52am
crusty_xx wrote:
Simone Furlotti: [i]Changing the rules in October is NOT fair! @mxgp. It may be right for the age limit in the European 250, but then it...
Simone Furlotti:

Changing the rules in October is NOT fair! @mxgp. It may be right for the age limit in the European 250, but then it (the rule) must be removed from the MX2 World Championship. And above all you can’t change the rules in October when you know very well that riders sign contracts before that
Hopefully more rider's follow what Simone is saying here. I'm sure there are a few guys that this affects in a bad way , and a few teams as well , whom probably already budgeted and bought bikes to test around certain rider's. They need to remove that age rule in MX2. And not change the EMX250 until next year! Otherwise you just screwed some dude's out of a job!
10/15/2018 10:38am
crusty_xx wrote:
Simone Furlotti: [i]Changing the rules in October is NOT fair! @mxgp. It may be right for the age limit in the European 250, but then it...
Simone Furlotti:

jeffro503 wrote:
Hopefully more rider's follow what Simone is saying here. I'm sure there are a few guys that this affects in a bad way , and a...
Hopefully more rider's follow what Simone is saying here. I'm sure there are a few guys that this affects in a bad way , and a few teams as well , whom probably already budgeted and bought bikes to test around certain rider's. They need to remove that age rule in MX2. And not change the EMX250 until next year! Otherwise you just screwed some dude's out of a job!
Marshal Welton signed with F &H Racing to race EMX250 because of the MX2 age rule, now it looks like he's lost his ride. Pisses me right off.
jathey
10/15/2018 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 12:40pm
I thought this was a professional sport? Age limits are bullshit. They force riders to retire too early and cost many riders their careers.

Maybe the NFL should enforce an age limit and force Tom Brady to retire, since he's over 40?

If you're good enough to qualify and compete, you should be able to do so. Period.

Two words: Gaston Rahier (RIP). Look him up if you don't know.
Bearuno
10/15/2018 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2018 10:16pm
I read that interview with The Devil (Luongo) last week. It read as it (and the 250 2t class - and that worries me in that they then will be ushered out of the EMX250 series, when equivalency should be spreading to MX2 and MXGP) was just an idea for the future.

I guess, like a King, he can rule by fiat? Even with that swines power, I would have thought such a rule change would have to be at least 'rubber stamped' by the FIM Congress. And, there are still good people around in the FIM and affiliated National controlling bodies, that you'd think would not agree to this sort of idiocy.

The only way it could be remotely good for the sport, is if the age rule was lifted from MX2. But shit, there's no need for an age rule in EMX250, either. They generally get Huge turnouts to just try to qualify for the EMX250 class - at many rounds, far more than what try to qualify for, say, the US Nationals. And, having older, more experienced riders for the up and comers to race against, I feel, benefits said up and comers. You only get better by competing with betters.

Gaston Rahier was 27 when he won his first of 3 125 World Championships.

Harry Everts was 26 / 27? when he won the first of his 3 125 World Champions (23 when he got the 250s on the Puch).

Alessio Chiodi was 24 when he got the first of his three World 125 Championships.

Joel Robert was 21 when he got the first of his, 23 for his 2nd, of 5 250cc World Championships, and his 3 2nds.

And, I'm sure there were a fair few other 250cc World Champions that got their titles after the age of 23.

Donny Schmidt got his 125 title when he was 23.

I think Bobby Moore World 125 title may have come after his 23rd birthday? So, both he and Donny would have not got those 2 World Championships if a BS age rule was in place.

Closer to home for Americans, John Dowd got his 125 West SX title at the age of 33.

We used to have 3 Healthy World Championships Capacity classes (from 1975 on) , with no age limit, nor a limit on the titles you could achieve in each. It should still be the case.

Yet, Luongo has seen fit to ever f**k with Our Sport, because, it's His.

Damn him to Hell, I say.Evil
10/15/2018 8:40pm
why dont the riders who lost there rides just team up and sue them? surely changes rules with no warning this close out they would have a damn good case
DoubleA
10/16/2018 4:24am
You fucked up MXGP, you fucked up.
chuckdavies
10/16/2018 4:55am
"Youthstream and FIM-E work for the overall interest of the sport, therefore some slight adjustments will be made to the some of the 2019 European Championship Regulations as explained below..."

The way this is worded seems a little open-ended to me (at least I hope). I could very well see an upcoming announcement along the lines of "...continuing on from the announcement to our European Championship regulations last week, we propose a number of amendments to the current regulations to the MX2 and MXGP World Championships...lifting the age restriction from the MX2 Championship."

If this doesn't happen then yeah, a big mistake I think, and very unfair on a number of riders.
10/16/2018 5:09am
The Chairman of FIM-Europe MX Commission, Eddie Herd, said: “I firmly believe that this is the right way to go forward and improve the European Championships. FIM-Europe must continue to focus on the development of the youth and young riders, as it has in previous years, which will help secure the future of MX2 and MXGP.”

Eddie Herd en his FIM Chairman would love to hear your opinion about this.
EMAIL THEM:

FIM SPORTING COUNCIL
Martin DE GRAAFF (KNMV)– Chairman
ml.degraaff@gmail.com

Eddie HERD (ACU)
eddieherdmx@gmail.com

Bearuno
10/16/2018 5:25am
[i]"Youthstream and FIM-E work for the overall interest of the sport, therefore some slight adjustments will be made to the some of the 2019 European Championship...
"Youthstream and FIM-E work for the overall interest of the sport, therefore some slight adjustments will be made to the some of the 2019 European Championship Regulations as explained below..."

The way this is worded seems a little open-ended to me (at least I hope). I could very well see an upcoming announcement along the lines of "...continuing on from the announcement to our European Championship regulations last week, we propose a number of amendments to the current regulations to the MX2 and MXGP World Championships...lifting the age restriction from the MX2 Championship."

If this doesn't happen then yeah, a big mistake I think, and very unfair on a number of riders.
I hope that they do lift the age limit for the MX2 class - and not just a piddling amount, but remove it entirely.

Luongo, and the FIM people that seem to have allowed this rushed through, seemingly un-debated / un-tabled rule change, obviously don't give a damn about riders and teams. They don't even seem to be regarded as 'stakeholders' in the sport.

There will be a lot of people damaged by this very rapid change to rules. At the very least, there should have been a years warning on it.
a22
10/16/2018 5:32am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 5:34am
I could accept the EMX250 age limit restrictions if they lifted the MX2 limits!
Some riders for whatever reasons may need or want to stay in 250's MX2. Some of them are fine riders but just not suited to 450's etc (Teams/ Injuries or physical size).

Its stupid, it would make MX2 more exciting if riders could change class if they desired from 450 to 250 etc and also make the MX2 more prestigious if say a top rider chose to step down for whatever reasons! Dunno why they don't remove MX2 restrictions and let the older riders ride!

Many good riders in MXGP may also be without a ride in MXGP with Teams full up- yet if they could step back down a class they may then have a ride and team! Don't get it- not good for the series as a whole.
RG1
10/16/2018 5:35am
Even if they do remove the MX2 age limit, which I'm sceptical about. This is all way to late to be doing this. I'm sure that teams would have made different signings for 2019 had they known that over 23 year olds would be allowed to race MX2
Robgvx
10/16/2018 5:39am
Funny how they’re forcing riders off 250Fs when it was only a few years ago that Giuseppe said that he wanted to do away with 450s as they were too fast.
RG1
10/16/2018 6:36am
Robgvx wrote:
Funny how they’re forcing riders off 250Fs when it was only a few years ago that Giuseppe said that he wanted to do away with 450s...
Funny how they’re forcing riders off 250Fs when it was only a few years ago that Giuseppe said that he wanted to do away with 450s as they were too fast.
Whatever happened to those 380's?
Jefro98
10/16/2018 6:42am
Here's the complete Youthstream PR:

MONACO (Principality of Monaco) 16 October 2018 - Youthstream and FIM-Europe explain the changes to the Regulations for the 2019 FIM-E Motocross European Championships.
Youthstream and FIM-E work for the overall interest of the sport, therefore some slight adjustments will be made to the some of the 2019 European Championship Regulations as explained below:

'The European Championships were mainly created to help youth grow and help them prepare for MX2 and then MXGP and be competitive in these classes. This pyramid system is working well because together with this fact and by having the youth race on the same tracks and same weekends as MXGP and on tracks which are very technically demanding it has permitted all these riders to grow and implement their skills. Our pyramid system shows its success because it is without any doubt that today the MXGP and MX2 riders are the fastest in the world, and they all have come from the European Championships.

We are seeing more and more riders competing in the European Championships who come from other continents to prepare themselves to become professional. We want this to continue and we strive to improve this. With the development of MX2 and MXGP and also of the European Championships, over the last few years we have seen some riders aged more than 23 remain or return to the EMX250 and this creates a problem for the young riders in this class to find a good team and to shine in this Championship.

Therefore, for all these reasons, and in agreement with FIM-E a decision has been taken to create an age limit of 23 in EMX250 as of 2019. The goal of this Championship is to prepare young for the World Championship classes.' On top of that, and for the same reason, the 2-stroke Championship is to be re-boosted and in 2019 it will have a new name (EMX 2t), with a new capacity of bike (250cc instead of 300cc) and without age limit in the way to welcome all the riders who are above the age limit for EMX250 and who are not at a level to compete in MXGP.

This new class will be strongly promoted in order to give the riders and teams who will take part in it a great visibility. In order to avoid confusion, from 2019 there will be an increase of the maximum age of the 250cc class in the Motocross of European Nations from 21 years old to 23 years old in order to make it the same maximum age as EMX250. In the EMX85 class there will also be a slight modification to the age limit in the aim to keep things in line; from 2019 the maximum age will be reduced in the EMX85 championship to 14 years old, making it the same as the maximum age of the 85cc riders in the FIM Junior World Championship.

The Chairman of FIM-Europe MX Commission, Eddie Herd, said: “I firmly believe that this is the right way to go forward and improve the European Championships. FIM-Europe must continue to focus on the development of the youth and young riders, as it has in previous years, which will help secure the future of MX2 and MXGP.”

Post a reply to: EMX250 age limit

The Latest