ECU vs FS Exhaust

Martini637
Im in the market for either a ecu or a full system exhaust. Im not really sure which direction to go though. Right now i have a 2017 RMZ250, that im really loving, im just looking for a little more pep from the engine. i have gone to a slightly bigger rear sprocket (51T) and im still wanting it to have a little more from the mod to the top end. Ive looked into getting a GET power ecu with the GP1 switch and ive also looked into a number of full system exhaust from yoshi, rocket, bill pipes and Dr.D. I was curious how much a difference the ECU made with a stock pipe or if a full system will liven up bike enough. Thanks for the help!
|
tylermx967
8/1/2017 5:53pm
WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.
Martini637
8/1/2017 5:55pm
tylermx967 wrote:
WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK...
WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.
no man....c class...like last place b rider....way last
cali11
8/1/2017 6:08pm
tylermx967 wrote:
WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK...
Martini637 wrote:
That factory ECU will help you pull past Tyler up the big hills lol
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/1/2017 6:23pm
tylermx967 wrote:
Martini637 wrote:
cali11 wrote:
Good luck finding it though.... even James himself couldn't get one.

The Shop

JB 19
8/1/2017 6:34pm
Curious if you're ruining the aggressive map. It helps. Those bikes also respond pretty well to exhaust. I can't comment on the aftermarket ecu.
Semi-Pro
8/1/2017 7:07pm
Martini637 wrote:
Im in the market for either a ecu or a full system exhaust. Im not really sure which direction to go though. Right now i have...
Im in the market for either a ecu or a full system exhaust. Im not really sure which direction to go though. Right now i have a 2017 RMZ250, that im really loving, im just looking for a little more pep from the engine. i have gone to a slightly bigger rear sprocket (51T) and im still wanting it to have a little more from the mod to the top end. Ive looked into getting a GET power ecu with the GP1 switch and ive also looked into a number of full system exhaust from yoshi, rocket, bill pipes and Dr.D. I was curious how much a difference the ECU made with a stock pipe or if a full system will liven up bike enough. Thanks for the help!
Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top end.

In my opinion, riding an overly-modded bike is buttlickin retarded. There is always room for improvement on a stock bike, there are plenty of people out there who could perform on a stock bike (I've seen plenty make the night show), I believe modifications like ECUs aren't meant for 99% of the riders out there. It's like supercharging a Geo Metro to get to school faster. I've met plenty of kids that needed 0 of the mods they put in, actually more than the people who actually need them. Not saying that simple engine components and such are irrelevant, but it's not worth it for so many people out there. There's a fine line somewhere between waste of money and necessary.
Martini637
8/1/2017 7:35pm
JB 19 wrote:
Curious if you're ruining the aggressive map. It helps. Those bikes also respond pretty well to exhaust. I can't comment on the aftermarket ecu.
i have been running the aggressive map kudos to mxa saying its should have been the stock map
Martini637
8/1/2017 7:38pm
Martini637 wrote:
cali11 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Good luck finding it though.... even James himself couldn't get one.
LMAO this commentary is awesome!
BobPA
8/1/2017 7:40pm
Semi-Pro wrote:
Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top...
Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top end.

In my opinion, riding an overly-modded bike is buttlickin retarded. There is always room for improvement on a stock bike, there are plenty of people out there who could perform on a stock bike (I've seen plenty make the night show), I believe modifications like ECUs aren't meant for 99% of the riders out there. It's like supercharging a Geo Metro to get to school faster. I've met plenty of kids that needed 0 of the mods they put in, actually more than the people who actually need them. Not saying that simple engine components and such are irrelevant, but it's not worth it for so many people out there. There's a fine line somewhere between waste of money and necessary.
Not your money, why do you care?
Martini637
8/1/2017 7:44pm
Semi-Pro wrote:
Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top...

BobPA wrote:
i see his point to a degree, im not sure how the ecu would cause a early detonation of a top end granted i dont know alot about ecu's
Semi-Pro
8/4/2017 7:24pm
Semi-Pro wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Martini637 wrote:
i see his point to a degree, im not sure how the ecu would cause a early detonation of a top end granted i dont know...
i see his point to a degree, im not sure how the ecu would cause a early detonation of a top end granted i dont know alot about ecu's
Didn't say I cared, I stated an opinion of what I think is needed or not needed to certain people.

Like I said, potential. I personally believe performance deltas on crafted engineering creates a risk of altering reliability. Suzuki designed their engine to a certain standard. A standard that tells you to replace your piston and rings at 40 or however many hours, and such. You're altering the standard that was set, which alters other things that you no longer have definitive information for. Most of Suzuki's maintenance intervals are preventative, but still. You're changing the baselines of which those intervals are measured.

Even beyond engine, in my line of work performance increases have side affects also. I'm in telecommunications, and LTE increased speeds beyond belief, but still doesn't do certain things as well as 3G which is why it's still used.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/4/2017 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2017 9:02pm
IMO, I think your time and resources would be better used by focusing on maximum seat time. The reality is, very few people can push a stock bike to a level where they really need more. In fact, its is common to see faster lap times in the stock classes vs. the mod classes of the same classifications. At least that has been my experience through all of the years of amateur nationals (I chose nationals because that is where you see more stock and mod classes of the exact same classifications).

The placebo effect (and keeping up with the Jones') is strong in MX.
tcallahan707
8/4/2017 9:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2017 9:08pm
kzizok wrote:
IMO, I think your time and resources would be better used by focusing on maximum seat time. The reality is, very few people can push a...
IMO, I think your time and resources would be better used by focusing on maximum seat time. The reality is, very few people can push a stock bike to a level where they really need more. In fact, its is common to see faster lap times in the stock classes vs. the mod classes of the same classifications. At least that has been my experience through all of the years of amateur nationals (I chose nationals because that is where you see more stock and mod classes of the exact same classifications).

The placebo effect (and keeping up with the Jones') is strong in MX.
The true performance benefits for pipes and maps aren't truly about straight HP increases, although certain bikes do need a little extra pep. Many riders may think that it's about power but it's more about where that power is. Getting more grunt down low or making a bike rev out do actually make a big difference in how one can ride a bike, even if the rider isn't pushing the bike to its limits.

I don't disagree with your first and last sentences though.
bvm111
8/4/2017 10:08pm
I say just run VP fuel in the stock engine it's all you need my friend! Whistling
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/4/2017 11:33pm
I saw Tokyo Mods will remap your stock exhaust if you buy a pipe from them. Could be a good option. Also could switch to a fuel like VP T4 for some extra response.
skypig
8/5/2017 12:32am
None of the mods are magic.

It costs Suzuki nothing to produce a pipe of different dimensions or an ECU with different curves.
Suzuki know a thing or two about both.

As mentioned; the most legitimate reason to change is to change the power. EG sacrifice low rpm power for more top end.

Suspension is a different matter. Even suspension which is perfect for one person, can be terrible for another.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
8/5/2017 3:04am
I agree with the above, get your suspension dialed in for you and seat time. A friend made it to the 250C class at LL last year. Didn't make the limited class, but lead the 3rd moto of the mod class with a 100% stock bike. Another of my guys is an A rider that actually tunes down his stock 450 a little and wins all the time. Learn to ride the bike and carry momentum and save your money!
snackfedbear
8/5/2017 3:53am
I'd say go for the ignition. Stock pipes are very good these days.
I had the Vortex x10 in my 2011 CRF450. The adjustability was nice, but I didn't really notice much of a difference in regards to hp gains... just a little more umpf in certain areas of the power curve in respective maps. That's just due to more fuel and different ignition timing. Unless you start modifying the internals you're probably safe in terms of reliability.
skypig
8/5/2017 4:29am
I recently got some pretty big gains on my Husky 701SM.
The stock pipe was very quiet, and fitted with a catalytic converter.
The stock airbox was designed to keep dirt out to allow Adventure Riders ride for weeks (months?) without cleaning the filter.
It was very lean stock to comply with European pollution rules.

Now it's offensively loud, with a K&N filter straight on the throttle body and a performance tune on the power commander. 80 RWHP!

MX bikes don't suffer from these compromises. Gains, without corresponding losses, are difficult.
8/5/2017 6:07am
tylermx967 wrote:
TILER YOU BEEN HERE FOR NINE YEARS YOUR RM85 MUST BE GETTIN SMALL FOR YOU. HOW IS IT YOU CAN SEE SUZUKI GET SPELLED HERE FOR NINE YEARS AND YET YOU STILL CANT GET PAST SUSZUKI?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/5/2017 7:33am
tylermx967 wrote:
TILER YOU BEEN HERE FOR NINE YEARS YOUR RM85 MUST BE GETTIN SMALL FOR YOU. HOW IS IT YOU CAN SEE SUZUKI GET SPELLED HERE FOR...
TILER YOU BEEN HERE FOR NINE YEARS YOUR RM85 MUST BE GETTIN SMALL FOR YOU. HOW IS IT YOU CAN SEE SUZUKI GET SPELLED HERE FOR NINE YEARS AND YET YOU STILL CANT GET PAST SUSZUKI?
Much TY
8/5/2017 8:38am
1. Suspension
2. Full FMF Ti system
3. Vp U4.4
4. Remap stock ignition.

Know that since you are on a RMZ your starting out behind the field. Not trying to start shit just being factual. Fuel and Exhaust should get you 3 HP.

Post a reply to: ECU vs FS Exhaust

The Latest