ECU vs FS Exhaust

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2017 5:48 PM

Im in the market for either a ecu or a full system exhaust. Im not really sure which direction to go though. Right now i have a 2017 RMZ250, that im really loving, im just looking for a little more pep from the engine. i have gone to a slightly bigger rear sprocket (51T) and im still wanting it to have a little more from the mod to the top end. Ive looked into getting a GET power ecu with the GP1 switch and ive also looked into a number of full system exhaust from yoshi, rocket, bill pipes and Dr.D. I was curious how much a difference the ECU made with a stock pipe or if a full system will liven up bike enough. Thanks for the help!

|

8/1/2017 5:53 PM

WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.

|

suszuki rm85

8/1/2017 5:55 PM

tylermx967 wrote:

WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.

no man....c class...like last place b rider....way last

|

8/1/2017 6:08 PM

tylermx967 wrote:

WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.

Martini637 wrote:

no man....c class...like last place b rider....way last

That factory ECU will help you pull past Tyler up the big hills lol

|

8/1/2017 6:23 PM

tylermx967 wrote:

WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.

Martini637 wrote:

no man....c class...like last place b rider....way last

cali11 wrote:

That factory ECU will help you pull past Tyler up the big hills lol

Good luck finding it though.... even James himself couldn't get one.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/1/2017 6:34 PM

Curious if you're ruining the aggressive map. It helps. Those bikes also respond pretty well to exhaust. I can't comment on the aftermarket ecu.

|

8/1/2017 7:07 PM

Martini637 wrote:

Im in the market for either a ecu or a full system exhaust. Im not really sure which direction to go though. Right now i have a 2017 RMZ250, that im really loving, im just looking for a little more pep from the engine. i have gone to a slightly bigger rear sprocket (51T) and im still wanting it to have a little more from the mod to the top end. Ive looked into getting a GET power ecu with the GP1 switch and ive also looked into a number of full system exhaust from yoshi, rocket, bill pipes and Dr.D. I was curious how much a difference the ECU made with a stock pipe or if a full system will liven up bike enough. Thanks for the help!

Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top end.

In my opinion, riding an overly-modded bike is buttlickin retarded. There is always room for improvement on a stock bike, there are plenty of people out there who could perform on a stock bike (I've seen plenty make the night show), I believe modifications like ECUs aren't meant for 99% of the riders out there. It's like supercharging a Geo Metro to get to school faster. I've met plenty of kids that needed 0 of the mods they put in, actually more than the people who actually need them. Not saying that simple engine components and such are irrelevant, but it's not worth it for so many people out there. There's a fine line somewhere between waste of money and necessary.

|

8/1/2017 7:35 PM

JB 19 wrote:

Curious if you're ruining the aggressive map. It helps. Those bikes also respond pretty well to exhaust. I can't comment on the aftermarket ecu.

i have been running the aggressive map kudos to mxa saying its should have been the stock map

|

8/1/2017 7:38 PM

Martini637 wrote:

no man....c class...like last place b rider....way last

cali11 wrote:

That factory ECU will help you pull past Tyler up the big hills lol

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Good luck finding it though.... even James himself couldn't get one.

LMAO this commentary is awesome!

|

8/1/2017 7:40 PM

Semi-Pro wrote:

Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top end.

In my opinion, riding an overly-modded bike is buttlickin retarded. There is always room for improvement on a stock bike, there are plenty of people out there who could perform on a stock bike (I've seen plenty make the night show), I believe modifications like ECUs aren't meant for 99% of the riders out there. It's like supercharging a Geo Metro to get to school faster. I've met plenty of kids that needed 0 of the mods they put in, actually more than the people who actually need them. Not saying that simple engine components and such are irrelevant, but it's not worth it for so many people out there. There's a fine line somewhere between waste of money and necessary.

Not your money, why do you care?

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

8/1/2017 7:44 PM

Martini637 wrote:

Im in the market for either a ecu or a full system exhaust. Im not really sure which direction to go though. Right now i have a 2017 RMZ250, that im really loving, im just looking for a little more pep from the engine. i have gone to a slightly bigger rear sprocket (51T) and im still wanting it to have a little more from the mod to the top end. Ive looked into getting a GET power ecu with the GP1 switch and ive also looked into a number of full system exhaust from yoshi, rocket, bill pipes and Dr.D. I was curious how much a difference the ECU made with a stock pipe or if a full system will liven up bike enough. Thanks for the help!

Semi-Pro wrote:

Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top end.

In my opinion, riding an overly-modded bike is buttlickin retarded. There is always room for improvement on a stock bike, there are plenty of people out there who could perform on a stock bike (I've seen plenty make the night show), I believe modifications like ECUs aren't meant for 99% of the riders out there. It's like supercharging a Geo Metro to get to school faster. I've met plenty of kids that needed 0 of the mods they put in, actually more than the people who actually need them. Not saying that simple engine components and such are irrelevant, but it's not worth it for so many people out there. There's a fine line somewhere between waste of money and necessary.

BobPA wrote:

Not your money, why do you care?

i see his point to a degree, im not sure how the ecu would cause a early detonation of a top end granted i dont know alot about ecu's

|

8/4/2017 7:24 PM

Semi-Pro wrote:

Go for the exhaust. Full RS-4 system is a nipple stiffener for sure. Also much simpler and won't create the potential to blow an early top end.

In my opinion, riding an overly-modded bike is buttlickin retarded. There is always room for improvement on a stock bike, there are plenty of people out there who could perform on a stock bike (I've seen plenty make the night show), I believe modifications like ECUs aren't meant for 99% of the riders out there. It's like supercharging a Geo Metro to get to school faster. I've met plenty of kids that needed 0 of the mods they put in, actually more than the people who actually need them. Not saying that simple engine components and such are irrelevant, but it's not worth it for so many people out there. There's a fine line somewhere between waste of money and necessary.

BobPA wrote:

Not your money, why do you care?

Martini637 wrote:

i see his point to a degree, im not sure how the ecu would cause a early detonation of a top end granted i dont know alot about ecu's

Didn't say I cared, I stated an opinion of what I think is needed or not needed to certain people.

Like I said, potential. I personally believe performance deltas on crafted engineering creates a risk of altering reliability. Suzuki designed their engine to a certain standard. A standard that tells you to replace your piston and rings at 40 or however many hours, and such. You're altering the standard that was set, which alters other things that you no longer have definitive information for. Most of Suzuki's maintenance intervals are preventative, but still. You're changing the baselines of which those intervals are measured.

Even beyond engine, in my line of work performance increases have side affects also. I'm in telecommunications, and LTE increased speeds beyond belief, but still doesn't do certain things as well as 3G which is why it's still used.

|

8/4/2017 8:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2017 9:02 PM

IMO, I think your time and resources would be better used by focusing on maximum seat time. The reality is, very few people can push a stock bike to a level where they really need more. In fact, its is common to see faster lap times in the stock classes vs. the mod classes of the same classifications. At least that has been my experience through all of the years of amateur nationals (I chose nationals because that is where you see more stock and mod classes of the exact same classifications).

The placebo effect (and keeping up with the Jones') is strong in MX.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





8/4/2017 9:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2017 9:08 PM

kzizok wrote:

IMO, I think your time and resources would be better used by focusing on maximum seat time. The reality is, very few people can push a stock bike to a level where they really need more. In fact, its is common to see faster lap times in the stock classes vs. the mod classes of the same classifications. At least that has been my experience through all of the years of amateur nationals (I chose nationals because that is where you see more stock and mod classes of the exact same classifications).

The placebo effect (and keeping up with the Jones') is strong in MX.

The true performance benefits for pipes and maps aren't truly about straight HP increases, although certain bikes do need a little extra pep. Many riders may think that it's about power but it's more about where that power is. Getting more grunt down low or making a bike rev out do actually make a big difference in how one can ride a bike, even if the rider isn't pushing the bike to its limits.

I don't disagree with your first and last sentences though.

|

8/4/2017 10:08 PM

I say just run VP fuel in the stock engine it's all you need my friend! whistling

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

8/4/2017 11:33 PM

I saw Tokyo Mods will remap your stock exhaust if you buy a pipe from them. Could be a good option. Also could switch to a fuel like VP T4 for some extra response.

|

8/5/2017 12:32 AM

None of the mods are magic.

It costs Suzuki nothing to produce a pipe of different dimensions or an ECU with different curves.
Suzuki know a thing or two about both.

As mentioned; the most legitimate reason to change is to change the power. EG sacrifice low rpm power for more top end.

Suspension is a different matter. Even suspension which is perfect for one person, can be terrible for another.

|

8/5/2017 3:04 AM

I agree with the above, get your suspension dialed in for you and seat time. A friend made it to the 250C class at LL last year. Didn't make the limited class, but lead the 3rd moto of the mod class with a 100% stock bike. Another of my guys is an A rider that actually tunes down his stock 450 a little and wins all the time. Learn to ride the bike and carry momentum and save your money!

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



8/5/2017 3:53 AM

I'd say go for the ignition. Stock pipes are very good these days.
I had the Vortex x10 in my 2011 CRF450. The adjustability was nice, but I didn't really notice much of a difference in regards to hp gains... just a little more umpf in certain areas of the power curve in respective maps. That's just due to more fuel and different ignition timing. Unless you start modifying the internals you're probably safe in terms of reliability.

|

8/5/2017 4:29 AM

I recently got some pretty big gains on my Husky 701SM.
The stock pipe was very quiet, and fitted with a catalytic converter.
The stock airbox was designed to keep dirt out to allow Adventure Riders ride for weeks (months?) without cleaning the filter.
It was very lean stock to comply with European pollution rules.

Now it's offensively loud, with a K&N filter straight on the throttle body and a performance tune on the power commander. 80 RWHP!


MX bikes don't suffer from these compromises. Gains, without corresponding losses, are difficult.

|

8/5/2017 6:07 AM

tylermx967 wrote:

WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.

TILER YOU BEEN HERE FOR NINE YEARS YOUR RM85 MUST BE GETTIN SMALL FOR YOU. HOW IS IT YOU CAN SEE SUZUKI GET SPELLED HERE FOR NINE YEARS AND YET YOU STILL CANT GET PAST SUSZUKI?

|

8/5/2017 7:33 AM

tylermx967 wrote:

WOW ANOTHER RIDER THATS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSZUKI! DO YOU RACE IN THE PROS??? I HAVE THE PRO CIRCUIT EXHAST FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND THINK IT MAKE THE BIKE PULL FASTER UP THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH.

Harry Backmon wrote:

TILER YOU BEEN HERE FOR NINE YEARS YOUR RM85 MUST BE GETTIN SMALL FOR YOU. HOW IS IT YOU CAN SEE SUZUKI GET SPELLED HERE FOR NINE YEARS AND YET YOU STILL CANT GET PAST SUSZUKI?

Much TY

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/5/2017 8:38 AM

1. Suspension
2. Full FMF Ti system
3. Vp U4.4
4. Remap stock ignition.

Know that since you are on a RMZ your starting out behind the field. Not trying to start shit just being factual. Fuel and Exhaust should get you 3 HP.

|