7/11/2010 10:41am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2010 11:39am
Not new, but interesting anyway.
Good for an off weekend.
Even my practice day got rained out.
7/11/2010 11:01am
this is pretty old but I still like watching it! Stewart's the man
DavidR
7/11/2010 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2010 3:07pm
Great clip but I'm not sure he's more dominant than Tiger and Kobe. Tiger has 14 majors and Kobe has 5 NBA titles. James is great no doubt about it, he can do some amazing things on a bike that leave you scratching your head and he may go on to win more AMA championships before he's done but is three AMA championships in the premier class in 6 years out of a total of 12 AMA championships (6 sx and 6 mx) that he has or could have competed in "dominant"? Here are the numbers since joining the premier class:
2005: 10th sx 12th mx
2006: 2nd sx 4th mx
2007: 1st sx 7th mx
2008: 23rd sx 1st mx
2009: 1st sx
2010: 20th

Tiger and Kobe have competed in their respective sports longer than James has his obviously but a mxer's window of time to win championships is so small (unless your KW) that you really have to make the most of it while you can. By the time you're 25, 26, 27 in this sport you're on the downside of your career. James will be 25 the next time he competes for a championship, he's not a young pup anymore. Oh, and I am a fan of anyone that can do the things he does on a bike.

The Shop

Hank_Thrill
7/11/2010 3:16pm
DavidR wrote:
Great clip but I'm not sure he's more dominant than Tiger and Kobe. Tiger has 14 majors and Kobe has 5 NBA titles. James is great...
Great clip but I'm not sure he's more dominant than Tiger and Kobe. Tiger has 14 majors and Kobe has 5 NBA titles. James is great no doubt about it, he can do some amazing things on a bike that leave you scratching your head and he may go on to win more AMA championships before he's done but is three AMA championships in the premier class in 6 years out of a total of 12 AMA championships (6 sx and 6 mx) that he has or could have competed in "dominant"? Here are the numbers since joining the premier class:

Tiger and Kobe have competed in their respective sports longer than James has his obviously but a mxer's window of time to win championships is so small (unless your KW) that you really have to make the most of it while you can. By the time you're 25, 26, 27 in this sport you're on the downside of your career. James will be 25 the next time he competes for a championship, he's not a young pup anymore. Oh, and I am a fan of anyone that can do the things he does on a bike.
nice post, good points - like!
bobby397
7/11/2010 3:35pm
they should have did this on RC.......when james stewart was asked if he was the most dominate in his sport, he lied through his teeth when he said yes..... any how, any coverage is good for the sport.
DavidR
7/11/2010 3:58pm
bobby397 wrote:
they should have did this on RC.......when james stewart was asked if he was the most dominate in his sport, he lied through his teeth when...
they should have did this on RC.......when james stewart was asked if he was the most dominate in his sport, he lied through his teeth when he said yes..... any how, any coverage is good for the sport.
I agree. Any coverage is good for the sport and if there's one thing James has brought to this sport it is coverage. I just wonder if when James does decide to hang up his boots if we'll look back on his career and have to use two hands to count all his 450 class AMA championships or will we look back on his career and think "man, given his incredible talent it sure feels and seems like he woulda won (won being championships) more than that?"
DrSweden
7/11/2010 8:01pm
Cool. Damn, that family for sure deserves some slack based on what the have done and from where they come...

Hope to see him racing soon, I tend to feel there's way to much exposure off the bike.
P
7/11/2010 8:18pm
DavidR wrote:
Great clip but I'm not sure he's more dominant than Tiger and Kobe. Tiger has 14 majors and Kobe has 5 NBA titles. James is great...

Dude, he's won titles in EVERY CLASS. 125 MX, 125 East SX, 125 West SX, 250/450 MX, 250/450 SX (National and World Titles). No other rider has done that, not even RC. Put on top of that he went undefeated in 250/450 MX, has the most wins in 125 MX history AND changed the way people in general ride an MX bike. Oh, I forgot to mention that he held the title for most LL's wins until KW859 took that title, but who knows James might get that one back.

Oh, wait, we can't forget that up until the end of the 2009 season he always won in SX if he didn't fall. Think about that. That includes races with Chad and RC. And one more thing. His comeback in 2009 (SX) was one of the greatest that the sport has ever seen. He was down 19 points or so after the first round to Chad Reed..........Chad Reed one of the most consistant riders ever, and he still won the title...............

You can compare him to Kobe and Tiger easily IMHO.

P
P
7/11/2010 8:23pm
bobby397 wrote:
they should have did this on RC.......when james stewart was asked if he was the most dominate in his sport, he lied through his teeth when...
No, they shouldn't have done it on RC because he wasn't even racing MX/SX at that time. You apparently don't get how rare it is to have a black Champion in any motorsport. Not just a Champion, but a guy that has changed the way people see the sport on and off the track. Also, that is why he WASN'T lying when he said that. He was the top dog in the sport at that time (24 for 24).

I should have known that you were from NC..........

P

P
7/11/2010 8:28pm
bobby397 wrote:
DavidR wrote:
I agree. Any coverage is good for the sport and if there's one thing James has brought to this sport it is coverage. I just wonder...
I agree. Any coverage is good for the sport and if there's one thing James has brought to this sport it is coverage. I just wonder if when James does decide to hang up his boots if we'll look back on his career and have to use two hands to count all his 450 class AMA championships or will we look back on his career and think "man, given his incredible talent it sure feels and seems like he woulda won (won being championships) more than that?"
It's funny how you guys only count 450 MX titles. James has won titles in every major MX and SX class. No one has ever done that. He may not have accomplished what RC did in MX, but he's accomplished plenty in his career. Enough for you guy to stop trying to compare him to RC at every turn. I don't hear you comparing RC to MC in SX on the regular. I wonder why not?

P
txrider44
7/11/2010 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2010 9:35pm
Not much to compare. RC won 15 out of 17 championships ( lost 99&00 SX). JS has won 5 out of 13 championships.

7/11/2010 9:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2010 9:40pm
DavidR wrote:

P wrote:
Dude, he's won titles in EVERY CLASS. 125 MX, 125 East SX, 125 West SX, 250/450 MX, 250/450 SX (National and World Titles). No other rider...
Dude, he's won titles in EVERY CLASS. 125 MX, 125 East SX, 125 West SX, 250/450 MX, 250/450 SX (National and World Titles). No other rider has done that, not even RC. Put on top of that he went undefeated in 250/450 MX, has the most wins in 125 MX history AND changed the way people in general ride an MX bike. Oh, I forgot to mention that he held the title for most LL's wins until KW859 took that title, but who knows James might get that one back.

Oh, wait, we can't forget that up until the end of the 2009 season he always won in SX if he didn't fall. Think about that. That includes races with Chad and RC. And one more thing. His comeback in 2009 (SX) was one of the greatest that the sport has ever seen. He was down 19 points or so after the first round to Chad Reed..........Chad Reed one of the most consistant riders ever, and he still won the title...............

You can compare him to Kobe and Tiger easily IMHO.

P
Not taking anything away from super Bubba, but didn't the AMA make riders move up from the 125 class quicker before both Ricky and Bubba starting beating people up in the tiddler class? Around the Dymond and Cooper era I think the riders could only be a champion twice in the 125 class before they had a mandatory bump to the 250 class. Unfortuneately for Bubba a big portion of his claim to fame will come his stellar amateur results, his blazing speed that nobody could match on a regular basis, and what he could have accomplished if not for the crashing and injuries. The list of champions during his career will probably never be comparable to what he should have done but the stories will continue forever.
ReedyMX
7/11/2010 10:51pm
txrider44 wrote:
Not much to compare. RC won 15 out of 17 championships ( lost 99&00 SX). JS has won 5 out of 13 championships. [img]http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv161/DiabolicalAngel/pandadogAP_450x323.jpg[/img]
Not much to compare. RC won 15 out of 17 championships ( lost 99&00 SX). JS has won 5 out of 13 championships.

Scoreboard.
I like to think as James as the fastest of all time. Ricky as the Greatest of all time and Jeremy as the King.
When James was asked the question "are you the most dominant performer in any sport"
James paused and said "Yeah" with a growl.
During that pause he must of thought about Ricky's 10 Straight outdoor titles, the time Ricky lapped the field including himself, Ricky's 2 perfect seasons, And Jerermy's 72 SX wins.
I think James needs a new nickname that signifies his raw speed and talent.
Kinetic1
7/12/2010 3:22am
"You apparently don't get how rare it is to have a black Champion in any motorsport"

This is racist. Does it matter that he is black? Would the champioship be less cool if he was white? Should we be more impressed by his speed because of the color of his skin? Here I thought he was just a super fast guy on a bike that changed the way people raced and elevated the game of his competitors and the sport. I didn't know it was EXTRA special because he's black.
Kinetic1
7/12/2010 3:24am
By your logic here P. What Ricky acomplished would be more impressive if he was black right?
DavidR
7/12/2010 4:11am
bobby397 wrote:
DavidR wrote:
I agree. Any coverage is good for the sport and if there's one thing James has brought to this sport it is coverage. I just wonder...
P wrote:
It's funny how you guys only count 450 MX titles. James has won titles in every major MX and SX class. No one has ever done...
It's funny how you guys only count 450 MX titles. James has won titles in every major MX and SX class. No one has ever done that. He may not have accomplished what RC did in MX, but he's accomplished plenty in his career. Enough for you guy to stop trying to compare him to RC at every turn. I don't hear you comparing RC to MC in SX on the regular. I wonder why not?

P
No one has ever questioned James' raw speed, that's not really up for debate. However, careers are made and judged in any sport based on championships won at the highest level of that sport. In this sport we love, the highest level is the 450 class and James' career will be judged on championships won in that class. When we mention "dominant" riders of any era do we immediately think of guys that won multiple 125 two stroke / 250f titles or do we think of guys that won 250 two stroke / 450f titles? Does anyone care how many championships Kobe won in high school? Does anyone care how many championships Tiger won before joining the PGA tour? The goal of any athlete is (or should be) to win championships at the highest level of your sport and the highest level in this sport is the 450 class.
DavidR
7/12/2010 5:54am
Since it's human nature to not want to be wrong, I'm going to have to place the blame squarely on Jeremy and Ricky's shoulders for messing up how I define dominant in this sport. Thanks a lot guys.
huck
7/12/2010 6:07am
DavidR wrote:
P wrote:
It's funny how you guys only count 450 MX titles. James has won titles in every major MX and SX class. No one has ever done...

P
DavidR wrote:
No one has ever questioned James' raw speed, that's not really up for debate. However, careers are made and judged in any sport based on championships...
No one has ever questioned James' raw speed, that's not really up for debate. However, careers are made and judged in any sport based on championships won at the highest level of that sport. In this sport we love, the highest level is the 450 class and James' career will be judged on championships won in that class. When we mention "dominant" riders of any era do we immediately think of guys that won multiple 125 two stroke / 250f titles or do we think of guys that won 250 two stroke / 450f titles? Does anyone care how many championships Kobe won in high school? Does anyone care how many championships Tiger won before joining the PGA tour? The goal of any athlete is (or should be) to win championships at the highest level of your sport and the highest level in this sport is the 450 class.
Rosa,

Don't try to converse with Mini-P. He is blinded by love....

Any sane person can clearly see that Stewart is NO WHERE NEAR as dominate as Tiger, Kobe, or Jordan.

P
7/12/2010 6:53am
DavidR wrote:
P wrote:

P
DavidR wrote:
No one has ever questioned James' raw speed, that's not really up for debate. However, careers are made and judged in any sport based on championships...
The highest levels of the sport are the 125/250F and 250/450 classes, and he has achieved at high levels in both classes. To date how many racers have had undefeated seasons....... When has there ever been a rider that won EVERY time that he raced as long as he stayed on two wheels? If his 2009 SX season didn't open your eyes to how great of a RIDER he is then you will never see it. P
P
7/12/2010 6:59am
P wrote:

P
DavidR wrote:
huck wrote:
Rosa, Don't try to converse with Mini-P. He is blinded by love.... Any sane person can clearly see that Stewart is NO WHERE NEAR as dominate...
Rosa,

Don't try to converse with Mini-P. He is blinded by love....

Any sane person can clearly see that Stewart is NO WHERE NEAR as dominate as Tiger, Kobe, or Jordan.

When did I put Jordan in there? BTW, Should you be hanging out with Mel Gibson instead of hanging on my nuts?
Weeks381fan
7/12/2010 7:04am
Ummm James is a great rider but RC he is not and never will be. RC has won every MX National Championship he has ever competed in! He never lost an outdoor title and spanked Stewy along the way. He also beat James in every SX title they competed for except the year RC was doing his retirement tour.

Please don't try to compare the two. Anyone with any motocross intelligence knows it's silly to try. RC is the greatest MX champion in the history of our sport and I am willing to bet no one will ever do what he has done on a bike.
huck
7/12/2010 7:11am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2010 7:12am
P wrote:
When did I put Jordan in there? BTW, Should you be hanging out with Mel Gibson instead of hanging on my nuts?
Mel Gibson is the most dominant actor of all time!

7/12/2010 7:53am
Ummm James is a great rider but RC he is not and never will be. RC has won every MX National Championship he has ever competed...
Ummm James is a great rider but RC he is not and never will be. RC has won every MX National Championship he has ever competed in! He never lost an outdoor title and spanked Stewy along the way. He also beat James in every SX title they competed for except the year RC was doing his retirement tour.

Please don't try to compare the two. Anyone with any motocross intelligence knows it's silly to try. RC is the greatest MX champion in the history of our sport and I am willing to bet no one will ever do what he has done on a bike.
Who compared JS to RC?
P
7/12/2010 8:04am
Actually, that pic is YEARS old and a sign that the person that posted it has been defeated.

James has accomplished huge things in this sport, yet so many "fans" on this board continue to down play them. Give credit where credit is due. That is just MHO.

P
bigborefan
7/12/2010 8:35am
You can compare him to Kobe and Tiger, but you can't compare him to the GOAT. The GOAT won titles for 10 years straight as a pro. Come to think of it, you can't even compare Kobe or Tiger to the GOAT.

James is fast, no doubt about it, but not GOAT level domination, no way.

The GOAT should be on the Wheaties box and on the cover of Sports Illustrated IMO.
bigborefan
7/12/2010 8:44am
Kinetic1 wrote:
By your logic here P. What Ricky acomplished would be more impressive if he was black right?
I thought RC being a Ginger Elf champion would be worth more than just another black athlete. Ginger Kids really struggle and have a tough time getting through life.

I mean, there are thousands of black athletes. I would say they dominate many if not most of the main stream sports. But how many Ginger Elves are at the top of their respective sports?
pie8man
7/12/2010 8:47am
James is an unbelievable talent but the most dominant of all time is still Ricky. Ricky won nearly every race he entered and nearly every championship he entered. James has won nearly every race he finished. The problem is that he does not finish races and seasons often enough. Don't get me wrong he is a dominant rider but lacks the consistency to be the most dominant athlete of all time. At this point I would compare his career to Damon Bradshaw's not Ricky's. All the Speed and all the talent and all the opportunity but coming up short in the championship column. By coming up short I mean he coulda shoulda won many more by now. It took Ricky several years to attain the fan support after beating the "King" in SX.
I remember a certain US Open when they lowered Ricky from the ceiling in a basket with a king robe and crown.... I heard more boos that night than I have ever heard in my life.

Post a reply to: E60 James Stewart (FANS ONLY)

The Latest