E mountain bikes

Bry145
1/12/2019 1:05pm
skypig wrote:
In Nannas Australia: An S-works Turbo Levo is A$15 000. A 2019 KTM 125SX is A$10 700. At the moment, there are many, many, many more...
In Nannas Australia:
An S-works Turbo Levo is A$15 000.
A 2019 KTM 125SX is A$10 700.

At the moment, there are many, many, many more places to ride the eBike.
If this wasn’t the case I’d have a new 125.

I ride trails with jumps etc almost every day on my Giant Trance Advanced. At 55yo my achievements of clearing a new gap jump, or “cleaning” the “Wall Of Death” (giant wooden “berm”) make me giggle like a school girl. The exercise is almost a bonus.

I’m bi polar regards eBikes. Never wanted one - love lightweight pushbikes - love motorbikes
The “More fun. Ride further for the same exercise” theory makes a lot of sense.

I have an incredible eSkateboard. For me, it makes every road/carpark/cycleway the perfect gradient for endless carving. 40km/h top speed, 50km range, effective brakes (Brace before application.)

I’ll ride anything - even my unicycle - and enjoy it.

Bry145
1/14/2019 7:08pm
What's more fun for woods riding and an occasional day at a downhill park, an e-bike or a premium pedal bike?

5K budget
Turbo Levo Base model (or equivalent)
Evil Bikes Offering or Wreckoning (or equivalent)

Jimfunn
1/15/2019 2:32am
Borrowed an Orange Alpine E bike for the weekend and it might just tempt me back to MTB after a year off. I don't have time / desire to go and pedal for hrs on end up hills so this is the perfect solution
Crush
1/15/2019 3:31am
skypig wrote:
In Nannas Australia: An S-works Turbo Levo is A$15 000. A 2019 KTM 125SX is A$10 700. At the moment, there are many, many, many more...
In Nannas Australia:
An S-works Turbo Levo is A$15 000.
A 2019 KTM 125SX is A$10 700.

At the moment, there are many, many, many more places to ride the eBike.
If this wasn’t the case I’d have a new 125.

I ride trails with jumps etc almost every day on my Giant Trance Advanced. At 55yo my achievements of clearing a new gap jump, or “cleaning” the “Wall Of Death” (giant wooden “berm”) make me giggle like a school girl. The exercise is almost a bonus.

I’m bi polar regards eBikes. Never wanted one - love lightweight pushbikes - love motorbikes
The “More fun. Ride further for the same exercise” theory makes a lot of sense.

I have an incredible eSkateboard. For me, it makes every road/carpark/cycleway the perfect gradient for endless carving. 40km/h top speed, 50km range, effective brakes (Brace before application.)

I’ll ride anything - even my unicycle - and enjoy it.
What e-Skateboard is that? Great numbers. I'd like to try a scooter but, fuck me skateboards are death traps haha. Nah I'm just fucking awful on skateboards. I can snowboard fine, never tried surfing. I know not the same but wow it's hard for me for whatever reason!

The Shop

skypig
1/15/2019 4:44am
Crush wrote:
What e-Skateboard is that? Great numbers. I'd like to try a scooter but, fuck me skateboards are death traps haha. Nah I'm just fucking awful on...
What e-Skateboard is that? Great numbers. I'd like to try a scooter but, fuck me skateboards are death traps haha. Nah I'm just fucking awful on skateboards. I can snowboard fine, never tried surfing. I know not the same but wow it's hard for me for whatever reason!
It’s impressive.
I think the brake (regenerative braking) makes it safer than a normal board. (Especially for over 50’s like me!)

https://www.evolveskateboards.com.au/collections/bamboo-gtx-series
Sharc
1/15/2019 7:59am
I have the Inboard M1 e-skateboard. It rips.

Makes running the dog wicked fun.
1/15/2019 10:39pm
Bry145 wrote:
What's more fun for woods riding and an occasional day at a downhill park, an e-bike or a premium pedal bike? 5K budget Turbo Levo Base...
What's more fun for woods riding and an occasional day at a downhill park, an e-bike or a premium pedal bike?

5K budget

You wouldnt wanna ever ride a emtb at the bike park. Get the Evil, I have a wreckoning and of the 30-40 bikes ive owned in 30 yrs, its hands down the best bike i've ever owned. Bought it for some riding in BC, but it does just fine on boring so cal trails-even though its too much bike. Point being, any evil will be a bike you keep forever.
Crush
1/15/2019 11:35pm
Bry145 wrote:
What's more fun for woods riding and an occasional day at a downhill park, an e-bike or a premium pedal bike? 5K budget Turbo Levo Base...

5K budget

You wouldnt wanna ever ride a emtb at the bike park. Get the Evil, I have a wreckoning and of the 30-40 bikes ive owned in...
You wouldnt wanna ever ride a emtb at the bike park. Get the Evil, I have a wreckoning and of the 30-40 bikes ive owned in 30 yrs, its hands down the best bike i've ever owned. Bought it for some riding in BC, but it does just fine on boring so cal trails-even though its too much bike. Point being, any evil will be a bike you keep forever.
Why wouldn't you want to ride an e-bike at a park?

IMO, their weight makes them pretty fun descending! Stick to the ground well and carve pretty nice too.
Bry145
1/16/2019 8:20am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 8:25am
Bry145 wrote:

5K budget

You wouldnt wanna ever ride a emtb at the bike park. Get the Evil, I have a wreckoning and of the 30-40 bikes ive owned in...
Crush wrote:
Why wouldn't you want to ride an e-bike at a park? IMO, their weight makes them pretty fun descending! Stick to the ground well and carve...

IMO, their weight makes them pretty fun descending! Stick to the ground well and carve pretty nice too.
A 5K enduro bike is likely better than a budget 5K e-bike at a bike park.

Spend 8K on a Troy Lee Kenevo and that could be great at everything but I don't want to spend that much.

If I still worked in Orange I'd beg a ride on that Wreckoning!

Crush
1/16/2019 8:32am
Bry145 wrote:
A 5K enduro bike is likely better than a budget 5K e-bike at a bike park. Spend 8K on a Troy Lee Kenevo and that could...
A 5K enduro bike is likely better than a budget 5K e-bike at a bike park.

Spend 8K on a Troy Lee Kenevo and that could be great at everything but I don't want to spend that much.

If I still worked in Orange I'd beg a ride on that Wreckoning!

I dunno man.

I had the base Levo, change the Yari to a Lyrik via the catridge and it was rad. Completely fine jumping etc.

When this vid was done, there wasn't any carbon Levos, the specs weren't crazy either.

Agree price might be a thing, but the bike is super capable.

https://youtu.be/fT6Z5Ftsyi4
Bry145
1/16/2019 1:09pm
Crush wrote:
I dunno man. I had the base Levo, change the Yari to a Lyrik via the catridge and it was rad. Completely fine jumping etc. When...
I dunno man.

I had the base Levo, change the Yari to a Lyrik via the catridge and it was rad. Completely fine jumping etc.

When this vid was done, there wasn't any carbon Levos, the specs weren't crazy either.

Agree price might be a thing, but the bike is super capable.

https://youtu.be/fT6Z5Ftsyi4
I don't rule out the base Levo. But I think the base Kenevo could be more fun. I'm not sure if I want to jump on the 29" wheel bandwagon.

That said, a badass pedal bike could be had at around the same price.

That's the tricky thing about MTB. So many options are available.

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/16/2019 1:20pm
Bry145 wrote:

5K budget

Evils are the best bikes ever Smile

skypig
1/16/2019 9:59pm
Bry145 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/12/317599/s1200_giphy.jpg[/img]

That’s basically it.
moto9
1/16/2019 11:49pm
I'm 57yrs now and currently on a Yeti sb6...which I love btw, but my next bike will be an emtb.
Living on the big island there's just a shit-ton of climbing, in one year I put in roughly 260,000 ft of climbing.
I think if you live in an area with a lot of elevation changes, you can really benefit from an ebike for a few good reasons.
1. You spend less time and energy getting to the top, some areas I ride it's a heart spiking climb and by the end of one loop I'm gassed.
which brings me to my next point...
2. More ride time and more descent time, by not being gassed after one loop, I might get in 2, 3 or more loops.
3. I do a fare amount of trail work and lugging tools to the work spot sucks, I think an ebike will make that easier.
Probably going to wait until at least the end of the year before pulling the trigger, I think a lot of progress will happen in the next 2 years with weight and bulk.
I think we'll see lighter motors and thinner designs...and the tech will progress to make riding more seamless.
kNewc
1/17/2019 12:37pm
Brent wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/02/315310/s1200_IMG_0161.jpg[/img] 2018 Specialized Levo. Funnest mountain bike I've ever owned, and I can ride farther and longer without bonking my HR off the rev limiter all...

2018 Specialized Levo. Funnest mountain bike I've ever owned, and I can ride farther and longer without bonking my HR off the rev limiter all the time.

All the shit talkers hate the very existence of these bikes, until they ride one...
I like that wall mounted bike rack where did you get that!? I think I have some materials at home I can make one though lol.
BobbyLight
2/19/2019 9:56pm
Unlike most on here I'm a mountain biker first and moto is second. So of course I'm not a fan of the e bikes. I'm one to mind my own business though so whatever floats your goat. I just hope that the e bikers come out to trail work days, since every old man I've seen on one skids the rear tire through every corner.
Natester551v
2/20/2019 5:06am
BobbyLight wrote:
Unlike most on here I'm a mountain biker first and moto is second. So of course I'm not a fan of the e bikes. I'm one...
Unlike most on here I'm a mountain biker first and moto is second. So of course I'm not a fan of the e bikes. I'm one to mind my own business though so whatever floats your goat. I just hope that the e bikers come out to trail work days, since every old man I've seen on one skids the rear tire through every corner.
Nonsense...completely fabricated by someone who obviously hasn't ridden one.

Nice try, though...
Panic_Rev
2/20/2019 5:29am
Bry145 wrote:

5K budget

Crush wrote:
Why wouldn't you want to ride an e-bike at a park? IMO, their weight makes them pretty fun descending! Stick to the ground well and carve...

My brother does and he enjoys it but it is limiting. The assist only goes so fast and the bike doesn’t handle as well after that point. Also, jumps and drops you have to ride differently not just for weight but knowing how the assist kicks in. His endurance isn’t with the group so it’s great on longer rides.
ti473
2/20/2019 9:44am
BobbyLight wrote:
Unlike most on here I'm a mountain biker first and moto is second. So of course I'm not a fan of the e bikes. I'm one...

Nice try, though...
would it blow your mind if someone had tried one and still thought they sucked?
WarrenMX
2/20/2019 9:48am
As someone who grew up riding BMX and now has a dirt jump bike and an enduro bike, in other words I love riding bicycles, my next bike will definitely be an eMTB.

Anyone whose ridden a dirt bike around a track should know that having a motor does not automatically make things easy. To go fast takes a lot of work and fitness and the same will hold true for the eBike.

Every evolution of the bicycle seemed like 'cheating' at the time. Think about the move from single speed to multiple gears, or even the move to full suspension. For a second it made things easier but very quickly people just started going faster, steeper, climbing bigger hills etc.

When I do a solid downhill run on my mountain bike, my heart rate is similar to what is is on a dirt bike. With an eBike I'll be able to do more of those runs which I think will be more beneficial for moto not to mention more fun.

Forty
2/20/2019 9:52am
BobbyLight wrote:
skidding the rear tire has nothing to do with old guys or e-bikes however those riders are out there, I see them too and more often see the damage they do. It sucks but those people are everywhere.

Forty
2/20/2019 9:54am
BobbyLight wrote:

Nice try, though...
ti473 wrote:
would it blow your mind if someone had tried one and still thought they sucked?
Wouldn't blow my mind however it would surprise me.
felpro
11/6/2021 2:27am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2021 12:36am
Just bought this 2020 GT Force Connect. I guess the components are not top shelf, Sr Suntour forks and Rockshox Deluxe select shock. Shimano STEPS E7000 is not the best but one down from the top I think. I had to fork out more than $5000 bucks for this. Top shelf costs more than a new MX bike.

I only spent two days researching this genre. There is no new stock in any shops and used are sold fast for top dollar. I had a $3000 budget initially and soon discovered that I would not want to own what that bought.

The helmet was a steal from a pawn shop for $80. (I really hope the word "steal" is not accurate . . . !!!)

I have had a pretty down year and became way too proficient at being on the couch. The Becker/ Frasier/Friends/BigBang repeats have taken a toll. My body resembles Tyson Fury's if he was 5'7"

First ride today after the 8 hour round trip to buy it was without the battery. I need to learn the bike before I get powered. And maybe, in the interest of fitness, I'll ride out without the battery and come home with some lithium-powered assistance.

Trust me, when I find a hill worth coming down, I'll use the boost to get up that sucker.

11/6/2021 3:26am
I'm waiting for my e-trainers to arrive because I love running but don't like the pain or hardwork
Spooner
11/6/2021 6:33am
The "you don't get a workout" narrative is getting tired (pun intended). One of my usual rides is around 15 miles and I burn ~1,000 calories keeping an average heart rate of 155 bpm. Takes me about 90 min.

tonyd811
11/6/2021 1:11pm
felpro wrote:
Just bought this 2020 GT Force Connect. I guess the components are not top shelf, Sr Suntour forks and Rockshox Deluxe select shock. Shimano STEPS E7000...
Just bought this 2020 GT Force Connect. I guess the components are not top shelf, Sr Suntour forks and Rockshox Deluxe select shock. Shimano STEPS E7000 is not the best but one down from the top I think. I had to fork out more than $5000 bucks for this. Top shelf costs more than a new MX bike.

I only spent two days researching this genre. There is no new stock in any shops and used are sold fast for top dollar. I had a $3000 budget initially and soon discovered that I would not want to own what that bought.

The helmet was a steal from a pawn shop for $80. (I really hope the word "steal" is not accurate . . . !!!)

I have had a pretty down year and became way too proficient at being on the couch. The Becker/ Frasier/Friends/BigBang repeats have taken a toll. My body resembles Tyson Fury's if he was 5'7"

First ride today after the 8 hour round trip to buy it was without the battery. I need to learn the bike before I get powered. And maybe, in the interest of fitness, I'll ride out without the battery and come home with some lithium-powered assistance.

Trust me, when I find a hill worth coming down, I'll use the boost to get up that sucker.

dude throw in the battery and just enjoy it. I hated everything bicycles for so many years (I work in the industry too) and getting an eMTB is the single best thing I've ever done for myself. I learned the characteristics of the bike by making a fun little zig zag outside of my house with turns, etc... taught me the shifting and the ECO/TRAIL/BOOST. You don't need anything gucci level to enjoy this. Took me 3 years to talk myself into getting one and I wish I would have done sooner...

-tonyd.
tonyd811
11/6/2021 1:13pm
Spooner wrote:
The "you don't get a workout" narrative is getting tired (pun intended). One of my usual rides is around 15 miles and I burn ~1,000 calories...
The "you don't get a workout" narrative is getting tired (pun intended). One of my usual rides is around 15 miles and I burn ~1,000 calories keeping an average heart rate of 155 bpm. Takes me about 90 min.

agreed 100%. yesterday while solving the world problems with my buddy, we "accidentally" rode almost 19 miles and burned 1300 cal.... only to replace with 2 beers immediately after. My eMTB is the best thing I've ever bought for myself..and I have the lower end Haro Shift i/O5.

Post a reply to: E mountain bikes

The Latest