E-bikes categorized as non-motorized by Interior Secretary!

str8line
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2019 5:31am
On the cusp of the E-motorcycle revolution this could be huge. It allows E-bicycles(class 1,2, and 3) on any trail open to regular bikes on BLM land and other Federal lands. The press is focused on National Parks but it also allows E-bikes on BLM trails(and NFS?) currently restricted to "analog" bikes.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/e-bikes-granted-limited-access-in-national…

|
Sierra Ranger
8/31/2019 9:50am
That's awesome. I was surprised to see the California Energy Commission is working on some off-road charging infrastructure programs. I'll see if I can track down any more info.
APLMAN99
8/31/2019 9:54am
I'm a little surprised that they included what I think is the category 2 bikes. I figure that most would separate bikes with a throttle versus those with just pedal assist.
ti473
8/31/2019 10:04am
Sad
loftyair
8/31/2019 10:10am
So whats the most powerful, longest lasting ebike right now? Oh, and cheap! I just want to casual ride, far and fast!

The Shop

str8line
8/31/2019 10:11am
"Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt signed an order on Thursday, Aug. 29 which will allow access of electric bikes on BLM land and in National Parks. This would effectively allow e-bikes onto any federal trail where non-motorized bicycles can ride.

“Reducing the physical demand to operate a bicycle has expanded access to recreational opportunities,” Bernhardt wrote in the order. It continues, “E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed.”
str8line
8/31/2019 10:19am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 10:23am
loftyair wrote:
So whats the most powerful, longest lasting ebike right now? Oh, and cheap! I just want to casual ride, far and fast!
Typically higher end E-bikes are about $1000-2000 more than their similar "analog" counterparts, depending on the brand. For about $4000-5000 you can get a top quality E-bike with excellent performance and reliability. https://ebike-mtb.com/en/best-budget-emtb-you-can-buy/

If you just want something for street or smooth trails you can get a decent off-brand bike with pretty good range for around $1500-2000. Something like this: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrover-electric-fat-bike

zippytech
8/31/2019 10:29am
So how long before some one puts a big ass motor and battery and wheelies through the park?
str8line
8/31/2019 10:43am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 10:43am
zippytech wrote:
So how long before some one puts a big ass motor and battery and wheelies through the park?
Not going to happen. But there will be advocacy issues going forward for E-motorcycles and this policy will help us.
JM485
8/31/2019 11:01am
This is awesome news, these bikes have opened the door for so many people to get back outside and active again. My dad and quite a few of his friends have bought them and they’ve been more active than they have in years, it allows them to go on much longer rides and have a blast while still getting a pretty good workout. I was skeptical of these things at first but after riding a few I think they’re awesome, so much fun to ride they absolutely should be allowed on regular trails, it’s not like you can do a burnout or just punch the gas and go warp speed on them.

They also allow you to hit gaps you’d never get the speed for on a regular bikeWhistling

zippytech
8/31/2019 11:34am
zippytech wrote:
str8line wrote:
Not going to happen. But there will be advocacy issues going forward for E-motorcycles and this policy will help us.
Yea like humans are not going try to make things more powerful and faster. I am sure some one has already got one somewhere.
str8line
8/31/2019 11:40am

I ride my bike for over 2 hours on a charge on maximum assist. That includes 2-3000 vertical feet of elevation gain. So yeah, riding a motocross track is no problem.
Branham96
8/31/2019 11:51am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 1:19pm
zippytech wrote:

str8line
8/31/2019 12:05pm
zippytech wrote:
str8line wrote:
zippytech wrote:
Yea like humans are not going try to make things more powerful and faster. I am sure some one has already got one somewhere.

Yeah I meant there won't be in National Parks. Even class 3's are limited to the equivalent of 1 HP I think.
str8line
8/31/2019 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 12:43pm
We are talking. bicycles right? Not E bikes. Non moto if so.
This policy will have a big impact on advocacy for E-motos.

zippytech
8/31/2019 12:28pm
str8line wrote:
zippytech wrote:
str8line wrote:

Yeah I meant there won't be in National Parks. Even class 3's are limited to the equivalent of 1 HP I think.
Is the park rangers really going to test each bike?

I not saying people should do it. but I know they will and if the stuff gets popular enough some one will make aftermarket parts to do it
Brtp4
8/31/2019 2:56pm
If you want some smug bliss, go on any MTB forum now and watch them losing their little minds over this.

BP
muffdiver936
8/31/2019 6:29pm
zippytech wrote:
Is the park rangers really going to test each bike? I not saying people should do it. but I know they will and if the stuff...

I not saying people should do it. but I know they will and if the stuff gets popular enough some one will make aftermarket parts to do it
I’m really having a hard time understanding all the negativity about these bikes . What’s the issue with people that share the same love for the outdoors having a new outlet to do so with a little boost so they enjoy life.
Who’s getting hurt ?
What’s getting destroyed?
I’m really having a hard time understanding what the negatives are of people having a little assist to be able to want to enjoy life and the great outdoors.
There pedal assist bicycles . It’s not a fucking dirtbike and as far as I know there not racing them with our pedal bikes.
Bottom line is what is so wrong about people enjoying life?
Titan1
8/31/2019 7:00pm
zippytech wrote:
Is the park rangers really going to test each bike? I not saying people should do it. but I know they will and if the stuff...

I’m really having a hard time understanding all the negativity about these bikes . What’s the issue with people that share the same love for the...
I’m really having a hard time understanding all the negativity about these bikes . What’s the issue with people that share the same love for the outdoors having a new outlet to do so with a little boost so they enjoy life.
Who’s getting hurt ?
I’m really having a hard time understanding what the negatives are of people having a little assist to be able to want to enjoy life and the great outdoors.
There pedal assist bicycles . It’s not a fucking dirtbike and as far as I know there not racing them with our pedal bikes.
They only want people to be able to use public land in the way they approve.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/31/2019 7:04pm
loftyair wrote:
Powerful, long-lasting, and cheap.

Pick two...or maybe one.
oldblood
8/31/2019 7:04pm
zippytech wrote:

I’m really having a hard time understanding all the negativity about these bikes . What’s the issue with people that share the same love for the...
Who’s getting hurt ?
Titan1 wrote:
Actually, the 'core' environmentalists would much rather people stay out of natural lands. This is a step by step process. Fools.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/31/2019 7:13pm
str8line wrote:
"Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt signed an order on Thursday, Aug. 29 which will allow access of electric bikes on BLM land and in National...
"Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt signed an order on Thursday, Aug. 29 which will allow access of electric bikes on BLM land and in National Parks. This would effectively allow e-bikes onto any federal trail where non-motorized bicycles can ride.

“Reducing the physical demand to operate a bicycle has expanded access to recreational opportunities,” Bernhardt wrote in the order. It continues, “E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed.”
Before anyone gets too crazy about the National Park portion of this...

If you’ve ridden in more than a handful of National Parks you know that any bicycle use is already pretty limited. It’s generally restricted to a few paths. I’d be surprised if this means anything in the way of off-road use. BLM land, on the other hand...that’s huge news.
BikeGuy321
8/31/2019 7:14pm
People get upset about E-bikes because they're self righteous snobs. It's like a "wine expert" telling you that you should NEVER drink white zinfandel. Hikers and other non-bicyclists say the same things about regular bikes that e bike haters say about e bikes.

E-bike haters are like that guy in a BMW going super slow in the fast lane, who won't move to the right because he's so much better than everyone else by default.Huh

Forty
8/31/2019 7:14pm
str8line wrote:
On the cusp of the E-motorcycle revolution this could be huge. It allows E-bicycles(class 1,2, and 3) on any trail open to regular bikes on BLM...
On the cusp of the E-motorcycle revolution this could be huge. It allows E-bicycles(class 1,2, and 3) on any trail open to regular bikes on BLM land and other Federal lands. The press is focused on National Parks but it also allows E-bikes on BLM trails(and NFS?) currently restricted to "analog" bikes.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/e-bikes-granted-limited-access-in-national…

Good.
muffdiver936
8/31/2019 7:26pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
People get upset about E-bikes because they're self righteous snobs. It's like a "wine expert" telling you that you should NEVER drink white zinfandel. Hikers and...
People get upset about E-bikes because they're self righteous snobs. It's like a "wine expert" telling you that you should NEVER drink white zinfandel. Hikers and other non-bicyclists say the same things about regular bikes that e bike haters say about e bikes.

E-bike haters are like that guy in a BMW going super slow in the fast lane, who won't move to the right because he's so much better than everyone else by default.Huh

This is what blows my mind .
The hikers bitch about the bikers
The bikers bitch about ebikes when in reality everyone is just trying to enjoy life and be happy. It blows my mind how people get so tribal over bullshit when we’re all just trying to enjoy life.

Around here it’s Subaru and Prius divers 8/10 times
Titan1
8/31/2019 7:27pm
Who’s getting hurt ?
Titan1 wrote:
oldblood wrote:
Actually, the 'core' environmentalists would much rather people stay out of natural lands. This is a step by step process. Fools.
I was talking about why mountain bikers are freaking out.

But you are absolutely correct about environmentalists...they want public land to be a museum...look but don’t touch.

Post a reply to: E-bikes categorized as non-motorized by Interior Secretary!

The Latest