E-bicycle moto style racing.....does it exist yet on a National level

8/27/2022 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2022 8:05am
For those who know......is there any type of motocross style E-bicycle racing yet on a regional or national scale and, if so, what does it look like.....will it be in the X-games someday......is it or will it be in arenas like arenacross or out in the mountains etc. etc. .....will it help introduce enough potential new riders to our sport to even be noticed etc. etc.?

Seems like there should probably be some type of sanctioning body by now whether it be more bicycle related like USABMX or more closely related to motorcycles and AMA or some regional MX sanctioning/promotional group like CRA in Ohio and PA or the SRAC if it still exists in Colorado etc.

The only thing I could find is this race from The Netherlands almost 10 years ago.

https://youtu.be/dCyyNxHmDqg

Thanks in advance....I don't follow the sport but am interested how it's developing or if it even has yet.
|
Gravel
8/27/2022 9:50pm

Do you mean racing the new battery powered mopeds?
arebnac
8/28/2022 5:53pm
I dont believe theres something like that, mate. Theres the eSkooter championship (esc live) that started this year. Both rounds on YouTube. Theres also a new FIM series that is about to start probably next year called E-Xplorer Cup, with eléctric bikes. It is said that the AMV CUP (a small winter series in france, from the Andros Trophy Championship) was planing to have only electric bikes (the classes with cars are already all electric), but no news so far. Cheers

The Shop

RCF
8/29/2022 5:39am
For those who know......is there any type of motocross style E-bicycle racing yet on a regional or national scale and, if so, what does it look...
For those who know......is there any type of motocross style E-bicycle racing yet on a regional or national scale and, if so, what does it look like.....will it be in the X-games someday......is it or will it be in arenas like arenacross or out in the mountains etc. etc. .....will it help introduce enough potential new riders to our sport to even be noticed etc. etc.?

Seems like there should probably be some type of sanctioning body by now whether it be more bicycle related like USABMX or more closely related to motorcycles and AMA or some regional MX sanctioning/promotional group like CRA in Ohio and PA or the SRAC if it still exists in Colorado etc.

The only thing I could find is this race from The Netherlands almost 10 years ago.

https://youtu.be/dCyyNxHmDqg

Thanks in advance....I don't follow the sport but am interested how it's developing or if it even has yet.
GNCC series has been doing them for years a Select races..

GG121
8/29/2022 7:24am
The sport you are searching for is Cyclocross. Closed course off road tracks with obstacles that can be jumped. Usually raced in the fall so it gets muddy. Cyclocross bikes are closer to road bikes with knobby tires, and I'm sure they now have classes for E-bikes. E-bikes don't really go much faster than regular bikes, until you start crossing over into mopeds, so the style of racing in that video you linked would not really be possible on an E-bike.
brocster
8/29/2022 7:46am
I have been curious on this as well. All of the neighborhoods here in Southern California are filled with kids on ebikes of all types. Going to have to tighten up on the laws though. They are on the street, sidewalks blowing red lights, blasting through parking lots etc. etc. In saying that, there are many young boys on Sur Ron’s jumping curbs, landscaping and wheeling the shit out of theses things. What if they had a park or a track???
Spooner
8/29/2022 7:55am
RCF wrote:
GNCC series has been doing them for years a Select races.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/29/566109/s1200_Screenshot_20220829_083754_Chrome.jpg[/img]

That is a different deal. He’s asking about the bikes like Sur-Ron’s that have a throttle where the GNCC is for much lower power bikes with only pedal assist motors.
8/29/2022 8:05am
RCF wrote:
GNCC series has been doing them for years a Select races.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/29/566109/s1200_Screenshot_20220829_083754_Chrome.jpg[/img]

Spooner wrote:
That is a different deal. He’s asking about the bikes like Sur-Ron’s that have a throttle where the GNCC is for much lower power bikes with...
That is a different deal. He’s asking about the bikes like Sur-Ron’s that have a throttle where the GNCC is for much lower power bikes with only pedal assist motors.
Are Sur Rons classified as E-bicycles? Serious question as I thought it needed pedals to be an e-bicycle, sorta like needing pedals to be a moped (otherwise its a scooter or motorcycle). Not trying to split hairs, what gets called an e-bike seems blurry.
Spooner
8/29/2022 8:18am
Are Sur Rons classified as E-bicycles? Serious question as I thought it needed pedals to be an e-bicycle, sorta like needing pedals to be a moped...
Are Sur Rons classified as E-bicycles? Serious question as I thought it needed pedals to be an e-bicycle, sorta like needing pedals to be a moped (otherwise its a scooter or motorcycle). Not trying to split hairs, what gets called an e-bike seems blurry.
So most bikes are a class 1 which means it’s pedal assist up to 20 mph and have no throttle. There are class 2 and 3 but the stuff like sur-ron's don’t fit into the classification system. To me that makes them motorcycles as they don’t need to have pedals but I do think they have the ability to have them.
8/29/2022 9:52am
Spooner wrote:
So most bikes are a class 1 which means it’s pedal assist up to 20 mph and have no throttle. There are class 2 and 3...
So most bikes are a class 1 which means it’s pedal assist up to 20 mph and have no throttle. There are class 2 and 3 but the stuff like sur-ron's don’t fit into the classification system. To me that makes them motorcycles as they don’t need to have pedals but I do think they have the ability to have them.
Thank you for educating for me, I have not kept up with the happenings of e-bikes.
8/29/2022 11:52am
RCF wrote:

Spooner wrote:
That is a different deal. He’s asking about the bikes like Sur-Ron’s that have a throttle where the GNCC is for much lower power bikes with...
Are Sur Rons classified as E-bicycles? Serious question as I thought it needed pedals to be an e-bicycle, sorta like needing pedals to be a moped...
No pedals = motorcycle

Post a reply to: E-bicycle moto style racing.....does it exist yet on a National level

The Latest

The Latest