E Start

JB 19
9/22/2017 3:39am
FTB wrote:
Don't want it and wouldn't buy a bike that had it. I'll take less weight every day of the week over an e-leg.
Even if it's on the lightest bike in its class? Lol

I recently raced a GP where I was about 40 minutes into the 45 race and I stalled the bike. I hit the button for about two seconds and it lit back up and the bike never stopped rolling. My arms and legs were pretty smoky by that point and kick starting a bike would have been a nightmare......I know I've, been there.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/22/2017 4:15am
Here's a reason that hasn't been posted, us old dads who change the oil on these things rather hit a button to warm it up than to crawl up on the bike and kick it lol!
BobPA
9/22/2017 5:40am
BobPA wrote:
No sense in arguing with this close minded fool. He knows all, mays well talk to the spare tire on you car.
FTB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/21/216050/s1200_is_zpsgt8da2eq.jpg[/img] I don't know all, but I do know I have some Works Connection KX 125 frame guards to fit an 03 new in the packet.

I don't know all, but I do know I have some Works Connection KX 125 frame guards to fit an 03 new in the packet.
Congrats, hang them on the wall because you've captured a unicorn.
FTB
9/22/2017 6:58am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 6:58am
FTB wrote:
Don't want it and wouldn't buy a bike that had it. I'll take less weight every day of the week over an e-leg.
JB 19 wrote:
Even if it's on the lightest bike in its class? Lol I recently raced a GP where I was about 40 minutes into the 45 race...
Even if it's on the lightest bike in its class? Lol

I recently raced a GP where I was about 40 minutes into the 45 race and I stalled the bike. I hit the button for about two seconds and it lit back up and the bike never stopped rolling. My arms and legs were pretty smoky by that point and kick starting a bike would have been a nightmare......I know I've, been there.
Yes, because it could be even lighter without the e-leg, and I'd prefer less weight over an e-leg every day of the week.

I've been there as well. Was goin g for a holeshot, saw a mate cutting across from the outside, was going to T-bone him so locked the rear brake, missed his rear whellby mm's, and stalled the bike. It started 18 kicks later when the person in last place was half a lap in front of me Laughing
I always told others, when you stall a 4T in a race, don't panic, put the bike in nutral, find TDC and give it a kick, if you kick it like a 2T you're fucked. So should've taken my own advice Blush .

If my competition in MX had an e-leg, I'd want one as well. I'll concede that much. But my point is, not everyone wants, or needs an e-leg. "Each to their own" Wink .
I don't need it, so I don't want the extra weight of it, and not having a kicker for backup on an off road bike is a bad idea IMO.

The Shop

FTB
9/22/2017 7:04am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 7:06am
JM485 wrote:
Well, every damn time I'm stuck on the side of a fat hill, wore out and tired from fighting my way up, only to realize I...
Well, every damn time I'm stuck on the side of a fat hill, wore out and tired from fighting my way up, only to realize I now have to kick my bike to life with my left foot because the hill is so steep I can't even get close to kicking from the low side, I damn well wish I had E-start on my YZ250. If Yamaha adds that when they finally update the bike I'd be at the dealership a lot quicker to pick one up. Anyone who doesn't think it's an advantage must ride on flat salt planes or is about as sharp as a tennis ball.
FTB wrote:
Where's your sense of adventure? It's all apart of the fun. There are a few blokes around here that have YZ 250 X's, but they won't...
Where's your sense of adventure? It's all apart of the fun.

There are a few blokes around here that have YZ 250 X's, but they won't once the YZ goes electric start.

Anyone who thinks they are essential must be short of skills, or are about as soft as a rotten tomatoe. Learn to use a clutch or to not stall the bike.
Right back at ya. It works both ways.

I get it in MX, if a competitor has it, you pretty much need it or you face a disadvantage. But don't see the same advantage in off road 2T's having one.

BTW," fighting your way up" a hill is easier with a lighter bike. Go figure.
reded wrote:
Partner I've seen plenty of adventure in my 45yrs on this orb but trying to kickstart a bike with the left leg after it's slid down...
Partner I've seen plenty of adventure in my 45yrs on this orb but trying to kickstart a bike with the left leg after it's slid down a 65deg incline, upside down for 60ft on a hot day is NOT my idea of adventure.

There's a reason why there's a sea of orange bikes in the world and every OEM is scrambling to get E-Start on their bikes.
I can agree with that, but, watching it happen to one of ya mates is Golden lol.

We've had a sea of Orange over here for years, long before they got an e-leg. You Yanks were a bit slow on the up take, but then, in your defence, we do get out of bed 24 hours before you.

I haven't spoken about e-start with my MX mates, but my off road mates want nothing to do with it. In saying that, we all ride 2T's.265cc's and below. None of us like e-legs, or 300 2T's.
BobPA
9/22/2017 7:17am
FTB wrote:
I can agree with that, but, watching it happen to one of ya mates is Golden lol. We've had a sea of Orange over here for...
I can agree with that, but, watching it happen to one of ya mates is Golden lol.

We've had a sea of Orange over here for years, long before they got an e-leg. You Yanks were a bit slow on the up take, but then, in your defence, we do get out of bed 24 hours before you.

I haven't spoken about e-start with my MX mates, but my off road mates want nothing to do with it. In saying that, we all ride 2T's.265cc's and below. None of us like e-legs, or 300 2T's.
You must not ride difficult terrain. Rock, hills, roots, mud, etc. will change your mind fast.
Moto520
9/22/2017 7:22am
kkawboy14 wrote:
It takes 1 or 2 kicks to start a KXF450......is it really that important or is it just something else to have to fix when it...
It takes 1 or 2 kicks to start a KXF450......is it really that important or is it just something else to have to fix when it breaks down?
moto0852 wrote:
Anyone anymore who is still asking this hasn't ridden an e start bike.
i agree. sitting on the line waiting while waiting for my race to start I have noticed that I use it a shitload. Let's say the race before has a guy fall on the last lap or there's a slight delay before my gate drops. With the bikes overheating while sitting idle so quickly...it's nice to have while sitting on the line waiting for the gate to drop.
FTB
9/22/2017 7:24am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 7:33am
FTB wrote:
I can agree with that, but, watching it happen to one of ya mates is Golden lol. We've had a sea of Orange over here for...

BobPA wrote:
You must not ride difficult terrain. Rock, hills, roots, mud, etc. will change your mind fast.
Not that I'm a fan, but we mostly ride extreme enduro type stuff in rivers etc.

I live in the Latrobe Valley, in Gippsland, Victoria. They held a round of the ISDE here. Can't remember which year, but check it out.
We don't have the same elevation as some of your states, but, it's all hills and valley's around here. This is the MECA for off road in Oz. This is Shane Watts country.
Hence why I won't ride a bike without a kicker. I've been stuck at the bottom of a steep gully once before.

I watched the video of your loop, we ride much harder stuff than that. No offence, I realize it's a "back yard" loop, and not complete.
BobPA
9/22/2017 7:43am
FTB wrote:
Not that I'm a fan, but we mostly ride extreme enduro type stuff in rivers etc. I live in the Latrobe Valley, in Gippsland, Victoria. They...
Not that I'm a fan, but we mostly ride extreme enduro type stuff in rivers etc.

I live in the Latrobe Valley, in Gippsland, Victoria. They held a round of the ISDE here. Can't remember which year, but check it out.
We don't have the same elevation as some of your states, but, it's all hills and valley's around here. This is the MECA for off road in Oz. This is Shane Watts country.
Hence why I won't ride a bike without a kicker. I've been stuck at the bottom of a steep gully once before.

I watched the video of your loop, we ride much harder stuff than that. No offence, I realize it's a "back yard" loop, and not complete.
None taken here man, it's actually quite a bit tougher than it looks...but only when it is wet. I've gotta drive about 20 minutes to get into the real tough stuff, and I dread getting stuck and having to kick my 250, although it usually starts descent. One thing is for sure, PA has rocks, lots and lots of rocks haha.
JM485
9/22/2017 7:50am
JM485 wrote:
Well, every damn time I'm stuck on the side of a fat hill, wore out and tired from fighting my way up, only to realize I...
Well, every damn time I'm stuck on the side of a fat hill, wore out and tired from fighting my way up, only to realize I now have to kick my bike to life with my left foot because the hill is so steep I can't even get close to kicking from the low side, I damn well wish I had E-start on my YZ250. If Yamaha adds that when they finally update the bike I'd be at the dealership a lot quicker to pick one up. Anyone who doesn't think it's an advantage must ride on flat salt planes or is about as sharp as a tennis ball.
FTB wrote:
Where's your sense of adventure? It's all apart of the fun. There are a few blokes around here that have YZ 250 X's, but they won't...
Where's your sense of adventure? It's all apart of the fun.

There are a few blokes around here that have YZ 250 X's, but they won't once the YZ goes electric start.

Anyone who thinks they are essential must be short of skills, or are about as soft as a rotten tomatoe. Learn to use a clutch or to not stall the bike.
Right back at ya. It works both ways.

I get it in MX, if a competitor has it, you pretty much need it or you face a disadvantage. But don't see the same advantage in off road 2T's having one.

BTW," fighting your way up" a hill is easier with a lighter bike. Go figure.
Lol, I don't think you have any conception in your head of the types of hills we climb around here dude.Laughing
BobPA
9/22/2017 8:09am
JM485 wrote:
Lol, I don't think you have any conception in your head of the types of hills we climb around here dude.Laughing
You guys are on a different level out there. You would have a blast on the coal hills here. When it rains they are simple, but mid summer and dry....coal ash is brutal, knee deep, and the consistency of sand.

The hill here are only hard because they are so technical...and usually only a few feet wide. First or second gear only.

FTB
9/22/2017 8:44am
JM485 wrote:
Maybe.

This is directly out the back of my place, about a 5 minute ride. We only ride the dirt bikes in winter though.
It's not the best example of the tracks we ride, but you'll see we don't ride salt flats Laughing

305FC250
9/23/2017 3:47pm
After only one year, the battery on my Husqvarna FC250 has failed.... Luckily it was at home that I caught it, but still pissed off as it's the weekend and the bike was going to be ridden tomorrow but instead I need to go throw money away on a new battery... It's got me feeling kind of butthurt over the topic of electric start. Meanwhile I have a tc125 sitting right next to it that I know I can kick and go anytime.
Brent
9/23/2017 4:14pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
It takes 1 or 2 kicks to start a KXF450......is it really that important or is it just something else to have to fix when it...
It takes 1 or 2 kicks to start a KXF450......is it really that important or is it just something else to have to fix when it breaks down?
moto0852 wrote:
Anyone anymore who is still asking this hasn't ridden an e start bike.
This.

I will never buy a kick start four stroke again. Ever.
Brent
9/23/2017 4:20pm
#76 wrote:
"If you can't kick start a bike, you probably shouldn't be riding motocross"

....who said that shit?.
Nobody said that.

Somebody DID say if “ you can’t lift your bike into a stand, then you shouldn’t be racing MX.”

...oh wait that was me...
Forty
9/23/2017 4:33pm
I will get an estart bike at some point however I do agree that the kick option should still exist. Not sure why they would get rid of it altogether. Some say weight is the issue but c'mon.
vetmxr
9/23/2017 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2017 4:47pm
I will say that my 2015 300 xc also has a kickstarter and I'm not sure I'd want to go into real deep stuff without it on also. I know I won't complain about the extra weight of the kickstarter when I'm deep in the Rockies and the electric start goes bad. I has never happened but I have nightmares about my bike or myself breaking badly when the only way out of a place is to ride out, walk out, and have your bike airlifted out of a secluded area.

I use the kickstarter first thing in the morning on my ktm, then electric start for the rest of the day.

The last thing I want to do is try to limp or tow a bike through this shit.....it ain't happening. Riding a healthy bike through this stuff is challenging enough for me. I'll take the kickstarter AND the electric start when I'm an hours ride from civilization. A few extra pounds don't bother me I like the redundancy on my off road bikes......Don't need the kickstarter for moto in my opinion.

Post a reply to: E Start

The Latest