E-Bikes and Moto

Related:
Create New Tag

10/22/2018 3:28 PM

Have any moto guys tried an e-bike? Is it a good way to get a 2-wheel fix without driving out of NIMBYland to get to the local practice spot?

We have some great trails and downhills here in Western PA. A little help with an e-bike could be a better way to enjoy the trails and get more downhill for the buck.

Thoughts? Currently on a Kona Process 134.

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

10/22/2018 3:58 PM

An e bike will definitely be more fun if your trying to get your moto fix. Faster, won’t get as tired as quickly, you can do shit like manual over objects with less effort, and if you ride for long enough it’ll still be a good exercise

|

10/23/2018 10:26 AM

I have a Specialized Demo 8 II that I converted a little over a year ago. It's a freaking blast!!

|

10/23/2018 11:09 AM

|

10/23/2018 12:02 PM

I have a Sur-Ron for my fun little e-bike when I can't take my KTM out. I can't believe how fun the little thing is. It's silent and looks like a mountain bike. I ride out on our local park trails and only get curious questions and people thinking it's really cool. I specifically go when it's low or zero traffic out there.

I've also ridden it a number of times to work without issue. You just have to keep it safe and slow when on the sidewalks so you're not needlessly raising attention to yourself.

|

10/23/2018 12:07 PM

Alta MXR best of all world's cool

|

10/24/2018 2:21 PM

I manage Fantic USA and we have ebikes that are pretty cool. Fantic is an Italian motorcycle company, famous back in the days for the trails bike. In 2014 the ebike division was created in Italy and Fantic USA was born in 2016.

If any of you want to try one, I suggest to go to a moto or a bicycle dealer to see how to get a hold of our demo bikes.

Ebikes are so much fun, and are a great tool to train for the pro-moto guys. You can now achieve the same results of road cycling but you can do it in the dirt, and not worry about cars.

Plus ebike races are here now. We sponsor the Fantic GNCC ebike championship (last race will be at IronMan this weekend) and there are going to be 9 races next year!

www.fanticbicycles.com

Here is a picture of our 2019 Integra 160 Race. Photo

|

Stefy

10/24/2018 2:26 PM

Yeah those Fantics are trick! Stefy, is that a 29" front and a 27.5" rear wheel? My eyes might be playing trick on me but it sure looks like it.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/24/2018 4:12 PM

Stefy211 wrote:

I manage Fantic USA and we have ebikes that are pretty cool. Fantic is an Italian motorcycle company, famous back in the days for the trails bike. In 2014 the ebike division was created in Italy and Fantic USA was born in 2016.

If any of you want to try one, I suggest to go to a moto or a bicycle dealer to see how to get a hold of our demo bikes.

Ebikes are so much fun, and are a great tool to train for the pro-moto guys. You can now achieve the same results of road cycling but you can do it in the dirt, and not worry about cars.

Plus ebike races are here now. We sponsor the Fantic GNCC ebike championship (last race will be at IronMan this weekend) and there are going to be 9 races next year!

www.fanticbicycles.com

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any info on the dealer in Grove City, PA? Is that John Ayers?

Do you know anywhere on the east coast where I can demo a bike?

-Thanks

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/24/2018 9:35 PM

Stefy211 wrote:

www.fanticbicycles.com

Bry145 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any info on the dealer in Grove City, PA? Is that John Ayers?

Do you know anywhere on the east coast where I can demo a bike?

-Thanks

Yes, John Ayers is my dealer. He has demo bikes, so you can go to his shop in Grove City and try one.

|

Stefy

10/24/2018 9:36 PM

Falcon wrote:

Yeah those Fantics are trick! Stefy, is that a 29" front and a 27.5" rear wheel? My eyes might be playing trick on me but it sure looks like it.

Flacon,

You are correct! Fantic is a moto company so we put the same type of technology into the ebikes. Just like a dirt bike a bigger front wheel rolls better on obstacle and a bit smaller rear capture all the traction.
|

Stefy

10/25/2018 2:18 AM

Stefy211 wrote:

Yes, John Ayers is my dealer. He has demo bikes, so you can go to his shop in Grove City and try one.

Do you have the contact info for John? I believe the Fantic website only lists the address of his shop.

I'd have to sell my YZ250 to get one, but may be willing to do that.

-Thanks

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/25/2018 5:23 AM

Here ya go 724-992-8180.Great group of guys,Tell them clay sent you. Ask for jeff. He got me A great deal on a turbo levo.

|

10/25/2018 6:00 AM

I think the concept is cool. But the prices are ridiculous. I'm just not seeing 5-8k.

|

10/25/2018 12:17 PM

Markee wrote:

I think the concept is cool. But the prices are ridiculous. I'm just not seeing 5-8k.

If a quality enduro mountain bike is in the 3-4K range, adding an e-motor and battery will add another 1-4K or so.

My Kona Process 134 was about 3K. I think it was well worth the money, and probably have hundreds of hours on it from 2015 to 2018.

I don't think it is fair to call the prices ridiculous. If they are selling, the demand must be there at the current price points.

Another thing to consider is how many hours one could put on one of those bikes in a year. It's all about utility and bang for the buck. On a per hour basis, they may be a lot cheaper than a 450 motocross bike.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/25/2018 12:19 PM

clay42 wrote:

Here ya go 724-992-8180.Great group of guys,Tell them clay sent you. Ask for jeff. He got me A great deal on a turbo levo.

Is this John Ayers shop or a different one? It must be in the Pittsburgh area with the 724 area code.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/25/2018 12:32 PM

clay42 wrote:

Bry145 wrote:

Is this John Ayers shop or a different one? It must be in the Pittsburgh area with the 724 area code.

Yes sir. Gear Bicycles, Grove city pa.
https://gearbicyclesales.com/

|

10/25/2018 12:36 PM

Markee wrote:

That's pretty standard for top-end MTB.

|

10/25/2018 12:39 PM

clay42 wrote:

Yes sir. Gear Bicycles, Grove city pa.
https://gearbicyclesales.com/

Thanks.

I'd have to sell my YZ250 before considering an e-bike. We will see what happens.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/25/2018 12:48 PM

E-bikes are sick and look like a lot of fun (I want a Turbo Levo).. but in the right place. I do not like the idea of people riding there e-bikes on MTB trail for one reason, most MTB specific trails are there because a local group worked very closely with their local government to get permits to build trails and these permits (atleast in TX??) specifically state no motorized vehicles. E-bikes are definitely a grey area currently and here is the issue: MTB trail can get pretty gnarly and there are risks no matter what, but for the most part your fitness is a huge limiting factor on how fast you can ride the trail. As you your skill rises from riding a lot, your fitness does too. It goes hand and hand. The E-bike takes fitness out of the equation, so all the sudden you have random Joe pushing 20+ MPH through trail that is not designed to be ridden at those speeds (unless you are a highly skilled and fit MTBer). With most Government ordinances already leaning away from the risks involved with having a public mtb trail, and equestrians/hikers fighting for the same cut of land, we are 1 lawsuit away from having MTB trails shut down..

I do think it would be sick to rip mtb trail on an e-bike, but I would know what I'm doing.. when to push, when to chill, you get the idea. Unfortunately we will be the minority and the weekend warrior type guy will be the one that's riding too fast, gets critically injured, and then sues.. potentially ruining it for all of us.

E-bikes are sweet and will have a place in the sport, but finding that place is going to be the challenge over the next few years while they start to become more popular.

|

10/25/2018 1:04 PM

scootch wrote:

E-bikes are sick and look like a lot of fun (I want a Turbo Levo).. but in the right place. I do not like the idea of people riding there e-bikes on MTB trail for one reason, most MTB specific trails are there because a local group worked very closely with their local government to get permits to build trails and these permits (atleast in TX??) specifically state no motorized vehicles. E-bikes are definitely a grey area currently and here is the issue: MTB trail can get pretty gnarly and there are risks no matter what, but for the most part your fitness is a huge limiting factor on how fast you can ride the trail. As you your skill rises from riding a lot, your fitness does too. It goes hand and hand. The E-bike takes fitness out of the equation, so all the sudden you have random Joe pushing 20+ MPH through trail that is not designed to be ridden at those speeds (unless you are a highly skilled and fit MTBer). With most Government ordinances already leaning away from the risks involved with having a public mtb trail, and equestrians/hikers fighting for the same cut of land, we are 1 lawsuit away from having MTB trails shut down..

I do think it would be sick to rip mtb trail on an e-bike, but I would know what I'm doing.. when to push, when to chill, you get the idea. Unfortunately we will be the minority and the weekend warrior type guy will be the one that's riding too fast, gets critically injured, and then sues.. potentially ruining it for all of us.

E-bikes are sweet and will have a place in the sport, but finding that place is going to be the challenge over the next few years while they start to become more popular.

People surely need to be responsible.

Most of my trails here in Pittsburgh are empty aside from an occasional jogger and dog.

I think it will be awhile before e-bikes catch on among casual unskilled riders. I think they will sell to people who know what they are doing and want to hit more trails in a given timespan. Joe blow mountain biker likely won't pony up the dough for an e-bike.

I'm curious if they are allowed at Ray's indoor MTB park in Cleveland. That would kind of be like a mountain bike supercross track. Cool!

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/26/2018 5:21 AM

Markee wrote:

zehn wrote:

That's pretty standard for top-end MTB.

I worked and ran a shop for 12 years. I know all about the numbers. Shit i've manufactured bicycles myself. Still don't see it. Regardless of what the "standard" is today.

|

10/26/2018 8:55 AM

I have a Haibike over here in the UK , I had a knee op earlier in the year and find the E-bike is great exercise without putting too much pressure through my knee.Photo

|

10/26/2018 3:20 PM

andyyam wrote:

I have a Haibike over here in the UK , I had a knee op earlier in the year and find the E-bike is great exercise without putting too much pressure through my knee.Photo

Cool!

I have seen some videos online, and it looks like you have some killer riding in the UK.

How much was your bike in American dollars?

Good move on Brexit. smile

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/26/2018 3:43 PM

KTM e bike looks nice. Forks on this bike bigger diameter than my 1980 Husky.
https://www.ktm-bikes.at/nc/en/bikedetail.html?action=bike_details&bike_id=1820

|

10/26/2018 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2018 4:34 AM

Yamaha e-bikes on display and demos this weekend at Ironman GNCC.

|

Instagram - @MxCulture

10/26/2018 4:34 PM

MX Culture wrote:

I work weekends.

Yamaha only has a hardtail, correct? I think we have too many rocks and tree roots in Western PA for hardtails.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/26/2018 5:02 PM

MX Culture wrote:

Bry145 wrote:

I work weekends.

Yamaha only has a hardtail, correct? I think we have too many rocks and tree roots in Western PA for hardtails.

I’ve ridden a Yamaha ebike on all the trails in North Park. Sure there are rocks but it wasn’t a big deal. Plus you won’t have to sell your other Yamaha to get one.

|

10/26/2018 5:40 PM

RMT wrote:

I’ve ridden a Yamaha ebike on all the trails in North Park. Sure there are rocks but it wasn’t a big deal. Plus you won’t have to sell your other Yamaha to get one.

Hit the trails and downhills at Ohiopyle on a hardtail, then tell me how it goes.

I like ripping down the hills, and the cushion for my butt while sitting and pedaling uphill.

The Kona Process 134 has pretty good suspension for a 3K bike.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

10/26/2018 11:12 PM

Bry145 wrote:

Cool!

I have seen some videos online, and it looks like you have some killer riding in the UK.

How much was your bike in American dollars?

Good move on Brexit. smile

My photo was at a place called Moors Valley in the south of England which is a great area for riding , there are some good mountainbike areas all over the country.

My bike is at the cheaper end of the scale and works out at about $2100 .

|