Dunlop vs Pirelli

Hi Side
It's interesting to me how Dunlop dominates in the US and Pirelli seemingly dominates in Europe. It does seem like Pirelli is gaining a little more traction (see what I did there?) in the US the past few years. I need a new set of sneakers and Dunlop has always been what I've purchased but I think I might give the Pirelli's a go.

Any of you fellas make the switch and if so what are your thoughts?
|
doofus
8/1/2021 6:47am
Hi Side wrote:
It's interesting to me how Dunlop dominates in the US and Pirelli seemingly dominates in Europe. It does seem like Pirelli is gaining a little more...
It's interesting to me how Dunlop dominates in the US and Pirelli seemingly dominates in Europe. It does seem like Pirelli is gaining a little more traction (see what I did there?) in the US the past few years. I need a new set of sneakers and Dunlop has always been what I've purchased but I think I might give the Pirelli's a go.

I have a 2020 kx250 and the bike came stock with Dunlop’s and the thing felt like it was Velcro’d to the ground. I put a set of scorpions on it cause they were significantly cheaper and the results were as you’d expect.

Personally I like the new Michelin star cross tires.
Motofinne
8/1/2021 6:52am
I've yet to find anything that beats the raw performance of the Pirelli MX32 mid softs. And the latest Pirelli sand scoop tire blows the Dunlop MX12 out of the water.
wydopen
8/1/2021 6:58am
If you haven’t tried Hoosiers yet I would.
Hi Side
8/1/2021 7:23am
wydopen wrote:
If you haven’t tried Hoosiers yet I would.
Too much of a hassle trying to order Hoosiers. I’m not opposed to trying them but they need to streamline their availability to the consumer.

The Shop

TeamGreen
8/1/2021 7:49am
Motofinne wrote:
I've yet to find anything that beats the raw performance of the Pirelli MX32 mid softs. And the latest Pirelli sand scoop tire blows the Dunlop...
I've yet to find anything that beats the raw performance of the Pirelli MX32 mid softs. And the latest Pirelli sand scoop tire blows the Dunlop MX12 out of the water.
Is it just me or did some damn Kimi Raikkonen fan read my mind and post my thoughts?! Smile
Hi Side
8/1/2021 8:47am
How do the MX32 mid-soft crossover from soft dirt to hard pack? I’m in NC and our tracks in the summer start the day soft and then turn into asphalt in the afternoon.
CLT809
Fantasy
16th
8/1/2021 8:50am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 10:20am
I noticed two things when I switched to pirelli from Dunlop’s
-they are softer, so they’ll (especially the front tire) feel low and more likely to chunk knobs with 12psi but awesome at 14. The softer carcass makes it feel like going a few clicks softer on square edge bumps without giving up anything on other parts of the track.
-the sensation you get before you lose traction is different. The Dunlop’s felt like they hooked up, until they didn’t and you had that cartoon banana peel moment. With the Pirelli’s, I would feel a gradual “smear” rather than the sudden wash out. Once I got used to that I found myself staying on the throttle more on corner exits, trusting the front end especially.

Bonus round: if you like the Dunlop carcass and traction feel, but want a really long lasting tire, buy the mx-xtra by pirelli. I mounted a set on a practice set of wheels and really liked them. Only tires that I’ve tried that lasted as long were Kenda tires, and I’d rather ride a bald tire of any other brand than them again.
Sandusky26
8/1/2021 9:14am
Hi Side wrote:
How do the MX32 mid-soft crossover from soft dirt to hard pack? I’m in NC and our tracks in the summer start the day soft and...
How do the MX32 mid-soft crossover from soft dirt to hard pack? I’m in NC and our tracks in the summer start the day soft and then turn into asphalt in the afternoon.
I’m in NC also and made the switch from MX33 to pirelli MX32 soft and I like them. The front is the best I’ve ever tried so far, when it the dirt gets harder in the afternoon you get a really good feel for how hard you can push. I’m on a 450 and I’m getting 10 hours on the rear before it’s pretty worn.
J-Mill
8/1/2021 9:27am
I made the switch to the Pirelli MX32 from Dunlop’s and really like them. They perform great in mid-soft conditions like you would expect but they also perform really well in hard pack late in the day, especially the front! You’ll want to run 13.5-14 psi though.
Side note: the Pirelli is not the choice, at least for us, for bikes under 125cc. On the smaller bikes it seems like the knobs are really low. We still run Dunlop on the 50-85’s.
8/1/2021 10:03am
Hi Side wrote:
It's interesting to me how Dunlop dominates in the US and Pirelli seemingly dominates in Europe. It does seem like Pirelli is gaining a little more...

doofus wrote:
I have a 2020 kx250 and the bike came stock with Dunlop’s and the thing felt like it was Velcro’d to the ground. I put a...
I have a 2020 kx250 and the bike came stock with Dunlop’s and the thing felt like it was Velcro’d to the ground. I put a set of scorpions on it cause they were significantly cheaper and the results were as you’d expect.

Personally I like the new Michelin star cross tires.
How would you expect?
8/1/2021 10:07am
Its down to nothing more than support &advertising.

If Cheng Shin tyres put all their product on the big team bikes and sent trucks to the races, guess which brand would be on the tip of everyone's tongue..?

Dunlop do it in the US, Pirelli do it in Europe. Its very simple.
spimx
8/1/2021 10:55am
Its down to nothing more than support &advertising. If Cheng Shin tyres put all their product on the big team bikes and sent trucks to the...

If Cheng Shin tyres put all their product on the big team bikes and sent trucks to the races, guess which brand would be on the tip of everyone's tongue..?

Maybe like clutch cover and even aftermarket pipes make little to no difference . Tires and suspension definitely affect you ride. Big difference between Hoosier pirelli, Dunlop and starcross tires.
8/1/2021 11:03am
Its down to nothing more than support &advertising. If Cheng Shin tyres put all their product on the big team bikes and sent trucks to the...

spimx wrote:
Maybe like clutch cover and even aftermarket pipes make little to no difference . Tires and suspension definitely affect you ride. Big difference between Hoosier pirelli...
Maybe like clutch cover and even aftermarket pipes make little to no difference . Tires and suspension definitely affect you ride. Big difference between Hoosier pirelli, Dunlop and starcross tires.
They may make a difference, but do they REALLY make a difference??

Let’s suppose you can turn a 1m30 lap time on a starcross and a 1m30.5minute on a Pirelli and a 1m31 lap time on a Dunlop.

You score three 2nd places instead of three 3rd places. Your plastic trophy is 1.5cm bigger than your Kenda riding friend, who, just like you is driving his truck home with a beaming smile on his face.

Does it REALLY make a difference?? REALLY..?
mxtech1
8/1/2021 11:05am
Dunlop is the only tire manufacturer that has facilities in North America for development and testing. They operate out of the Proving Grounds in Huntsville, AL where they have 68 acres of road and offroad tracks for their test riders and race team riders to come in and work on production and prototype tire testing. My understanding is that they have a full staff of design and test engineers and test riders that work specifically with the racing teams to develop tires. What they learn at the Proving Grounds and on the race tracks throughout the US is applied to their consumer tires. Dunlop MC tire production/manufacturing is then done in Buffalo, NY, which is the only MC tire manufacturing plant in the US. Jesse Wentland, Clark Stiles, and Broc Glover are heavily involved in managing the development of racing tires for offroad motorcycles. This translates into very good production tires that consumers can buy.

PC, Factory Kawi, Star Yamaha, Factory Honda, KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas (among others not listed) all use Dunlop tires, so most of the big teams in the US are running Dunlop. I believe this is largely due to the capabilities they have in the US with development and production to support the race teams. Dunlop nearly has a stranglehold in the US in terms of Pro offroad racing, so Pirelli is left to focus on supporting many of the satellite teams (FXR/Chap Honda, BarX Suzuki, Club MX, TPJ, JMC, PR-MX) and then they have a really good rider support program for privateers. Pirelli has in fact stepped up their US rider support programs over the last few years and they have been successful in gaining some of the market share. Michelin and Bridgestone used to be big players in AMA pro racing (offroad) but they have mostly been phased out leaving predominately just Dunlop and Pirelli.

Dunlop also has an amateur and privateer support program, but not as big as what Pirelli offers.

With Pirelli, all of their tire testing is done in Sicily, Italy and their production centers are also based in Italy. So from a logistical perspective, it's natural that Pirelli is #1 in Europe and the GPs. All of the tires used in the US for offroad racing have to be imported from Italy.

One thing I do like about Pirelli is that with the Scorpion tire, you are essentially buying what they race at the professional level so the consumer can more or less run a "race-spec" tire. They are big believers in "racing what we sell and selling what we race." With Dunlop, the factory teams are typically running special compounds, prototype designs, etc. so the production tire you are buying is slightly different than what we see on the track in the pro ranks.

In the end it's a tough decision, but in my opinion, both tires are more than adequate for the amateur rider/racer, so the tie breaker for me would be buying Dunlop to support US manufacturing/jobs.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
8/1/2021 12:14pm

spimx wrote:
Maybe like clutch cover and even aftermarket pipes make little to no difference . Tires and suspension definitely affect you ride. Big difference between Hoosier pirelli...
They may make a difference, but do they REALLY make a difference?? Let’s suppose you can turn a 1m30 lap time on a starcross and a...

Let’s suppose you can turn a 1m30 lap time on a starcross and a 1m30.5minute on a Pirelli and a 1m31 lap time on a Dunlop.

You score three 2nd places instead of three 3rd places. Your plastic trophy is 1.5cm bigger than your Kenda riding friend, who, just like you is driving his truck home with a beaming smile on his face.

To play devils advocate. If you struggled all day with front end feel and/or rear end traction that would make your day slightly more frustrating and your friend on the Dunlop’s would go home happier.
I think the main thing for people is the feel not the times. If your bike feels planted you’ll have much more fun then if you’re constantly waiting for the bike to slide out
8/1/2021 12:20pm
spimx wrote:
They may make a difference, but do they REALLY make a difference?? Let’s suppose you can turn a 1m30 lap time on a starcross and a...

luke11 wrote:
To play devils advocate. If you struggled all day with front end feel and/or rear end traction that would make your day slightly more frustrating and...
To play devils advocate. If you struggled all day with front end feel and/or rear end traction that would make your day slightly more frustrating and your friend on the Dunlop’s would go home happier.
I think the main thing for people is the feel not the times. If your bike feels planted you’ll have much more fun then if you’re constantly waiting for the bike to slide out
When you’ve raced for long enough, you’ll know that it really makes no difference to us amateurs.

Don’t flatter yourself- us amateurs really cannot tell the difference between any of them.
How many times have you looked down to see if you’ve got a flat tyre, only to find you haven’t? I’ve done that many times! ive had heroic rides on the same tyres that I’ve had shocking rides on!
I’ve felt super confident on the same tyres as I’ve been super cautious of too..

For us amateurs there are too many variables to having a good ride to worry about tyre brand.
spimx
8/1/2021 12:24pm

luke11 wrote:
To play devils advocate. If you struggled all day with front end feel and/or rear end traction that would make your day slightly more frustrating and...
When you’ve raced for long enough, you’ll know that it really makes no difference to us amateurs. Don’t flatter yourself- us amateurs really cannot tell the...
When you’ve raced for long enough, you’ll know that it really makes no difference to us amateurs.

Don’t flatter yourself- us amateurs really cannot tell the difference between any of them.
How many times have you looked down to see if you’ve got a flat tyre, only to find you haven’t? I’ve done that many times! ive had heroic rides on the same tyres that I’ve had shocking rides on!
I’ve felt super confident on the same tyres as I’ve been super cautious of too..

For us amateurs there are too many variables to having a good ride to worry about tyre brand.
Dude just shut up. I've raced a long time and tires plus suspension out of anything makes the biggest difference.
8/1/2021 12:33pm
luke11 wrote:
When you’ve raced for long enough, you’ll know that it really makes no difference to us amateurs. Don’t flatter yourself- us amateurs really cannot tell the...

spimx wrote:
Dude just shut up. I've raced a long time and tires plus suspension out of anything makes the biggest difference.
Is that what we do is it?

If someone has a difference of opinion we say “dude just shut up”

This place would be a whole lot quieter if everyone who had a different opinion just shut up..
8/1/2021 2:13pm
For me the scorpion tires have better traction. Also very easy to put on. They wear out so quick though. After 5 hours they were shot. My Dunlop’s have close to the performance and last twice as long .
28hall
8/1/2021 2:16pm
You can have an opinion on tyres which in this case is absolutely wrong but your also lumping “us” all in the same boat just because you can’t tell the difference personally which is the real issue here. Pirelli for the win for me, as stated above Dunlop’s can have great traction in certain conditions but seem to give little to no warning when they let go however pirelli mid soft are very forgiving on the transitions of dirt and give a bit more comfort in the sharp chop.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
8/1/2021 2:58pm

spimx wrote:
Is that what we do is it? If someone has a difference of opinion we say “dude just shut up” This place would be a whole...

This place would be a whole lot quieter if everyone who had a different opinion just shut up..
Your opinion is not good and you won’t consider that you could be wrong. Maybe you can’t feel a difference but there are certainly just ‘us amateurs’ out there that can. Do you just leave your clickers where the factory set them cause you can’t tell a difference anyway?
the kid 857
8/1/2021 3:34pm
I was a dunlop guy for many years, Within the last year I made the switch to the Pirelli MX32 Mid-Soft. I live in colorado, tracks go from soft to hard pack squar edged by the end of the day. The Pirelli mx32 Mid-Soft front tire is hands down the best tire I have ridden on, Very confident inspiring with great feel and grip. The rear has a very similar feel to any dunlop. 14 PSI is a must. Anything less you will chunk knobs within 5 hours if not sooner. As you get closer to the 8 to 10 hour mark this is when you have to start watching for cracks and missing knobs. Sometimes with minor cracks the knob will stay and sometime they won't. This tire has awesome traction from soft to slick hard pack. You get 3/4 of the life of this tire compared to dunlop. But the performance you get easily justifies buying them. In the winter time I run the MX32 mid-Soft up front and the MX 32 MID- Hard in the rear. I have had no issues with chunking knobs with the Mid-Hard. Still get cracking but no chunks. Hope this helps.
66TR66
8/1/2021 5:44pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Dunlop is the only tire manufacturer that has facilities in North America for development and testing. They operate out of the Proving Grounds in Huntsville, AL...
Dunlop is the only tire manufacturer that has facilities in North America for development and testing. They operate out of the Proving Grounds in Huntsville, AL where they have 68 acres of road and offroad tracks for their test riders and race team riders to come in and work on production and prototype tire testing. My understanding is that they have a full staff of design and test engineers and test riders that work specifically with the racing teams to develop tires. What they learn at the Proving Grounds and on the race tracks throughout the US is applied to their consumer tires. Dunlop MC tire production/manufacturing is then done in Buffalo, NY, which is the only MC tire manufacturing plant in the US. Jesse Wentland, Clark Stiles, and Broc Glover are heavily involved in managing the development of racing tires for offroad motorcycles. This translates into very good production tires that consumers can buy.

PC, Factory Kawi, Star Yamaha, Factory Honda, KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas (among others not listed) all use Dunlop tires, so most of the big teams in the US are running Dunlop. I believe this is largely due to the capabilities they have in the US with development and production to support the race teams. Dunlop nearly has a stranglehold in the US in terms of Pro offroad racing, so Pirelli is left to focus on supporting many of the satellite teams (FXR/Chap Honda, BarX Suzuki, Club MX, TPJ, JMC, PR-MX) and then they have a really good rider support program for privateers. Pirelli has in fact stepped up their US rider support programs over the last few years and they have been successful in gaining some of the market share. Michelin and Bridgestone used to be big players in AMA pro racing (offroad) but they have mostly been phased out leaving predominately just Dunlop and Pirelli.

Dunlop also has an amateur and privateer support program, but not as big as what Pirelli offers.

With Pirelli, all of their tire testing is done in Sicily, Italy and their production centers are also based in Italy. So from a logistical perspective, it's natural that Pirelli is #1 in Europe and the GPs. All of the tires used in the US for offroad racing have to be imported from Italy.

One thing I do like about Pirelli is that with the Scorpion tire, you are essentially buying what they race at the professional level so the consumer can more or less run a "race-spec" tire. They are big believers in "racing what we sell and selling what we race." With Dunlop, the factory teams are typically running special compounds, prototype designs, etc. so the production tire you are buying is slightly different than what we see on the track in the pro ranks.

In the end it's a tough decision, but in my opinion, both tires are more than adequate for the amateur rider/racer, so the tie breaker for me would be buying Dunlop to support US manufacturing/jobs.
Outstanding post.
Zycki11
8/1/2021 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 6:01pm
Dunlop is used per “Alex Martin”in the US because they have a leg up in supercross. Outdoors Alex said the Pirellis were amazing.

For me, having tried both multiple times. Pirellis MX32 mid-soft is the best with the intermediate rear. Dunlop last a little longer but don’t have the bite in early morning conditions.

Choose whichever you get the best deal on. My buddy raced SX so I would get Dunlop’s through him cheap. While the last set I purchased regular retail were Pirelli
Broseph
8/1/2021 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 8:52pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Dunlop is the only tire manufacturer that has facilities in North America for development and testing. They operate out of the Proving Grounds in Huntsville, AL...

That’s neat and all, but they don’t sell the good stuff to the consumer do they? We get the Thailand-made stuff that kind of resembles what the pros use.

Edit: Maybe it’s Indonesia. I can’t remember.
Radfonz
8/1/2021 9:12pm
The 2022 CRF250 has Pirellis on it from the factory
8/1/2021 11:53pm
spimx wrote:
Is that what we do is it? If someone has a difference of opinion we say “dude just shut up” This place would be a whole...

soggy wrote:
Your opinion is not good and you won’t consider that you could be wrong. Maybe you can’t feel a difference but there are certainly just ‘us...
Your opinion is not good and you won’t consider that you could be wrong. Maybe you can’t feel a difference but there are certainly just ‘us amateurs’ out there that can. Do you just leave your clickers where the factory set them cause you can’t tell a difference anyway?
Based on this comment, I’m guessing you’re one of the guys who wouldn’t buy an RMZ because you think your results will be better on a KTM.?
chump6784
8/2/2021 12:25am

luke11 wrote:

You're gonna have to speak for yourself on this one mate. I'm vet expert and can definitely tell the difference between a Pirelli MX32 and a Dunlop mx33, especially in the front. Also going from a Bridgestone x30 front to a Maxxis MX ST front felt like cheating, I had so much more confidence in all conditions, not just soft dirt
Motofinne
8/2/2021 1:09am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2021 1:11am
Seriously, why start derailing a legit thread when you have obviously nothing to bring to the discussion? Fine, you think tires aren't that big of a deal. Start an own thread about that then, don't hijack this one.

Now more OT, like some already mentioned. The Pirellis require a bit more air in them otherwise you'll chunk the knobs very quick. And even if you do run the proper pressure, they wont last quite as well as Dunlops. But the performance is in my opinion better.

Post a reply to: Dunlop vs Pirelli

The Latest