Dungey's longevity , what's his stats going to be like when he's all done?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 2:14pm
You know RD like never gets hurt. Less than most top racers I can remember. And listening to him on the podium this past weekend got me thinking , I wonder how long he plans on going? The dudes fast , super fit , makes very little mistakes and is about as consistent as a Swiss watch.

He's eluded to having certain goals , and I'm wondering if he has some records in his sights and possibly going after them?

If he keeps going the way he is , and stays healthy , there are going to be some big time legends in this sport that will be far behind him in the stats after his career is over.

I think he's capable of getting into his 30's and still making a mark at this rate. Awesome career to watch. I hope he keeps that fire going for quite a few more years.
|
KlootZak
8/19/2015 9:05am
I think if everything goes right, he'll manage 2 more titles but I think the end is near for Turbo Diesel. The young guns are stepping up, they have gone through the rookie mistakes and now they are ready to deliver (if they don't injure himself). I see Roczen and/or Tomac being faster than Dungey next year. The question will be if they have the same consistency level as Dungey. That's why I think he will get another title but it will be more and more difficult ...
davistld01
8/19/2015 9:11am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 9:12am
I agree. I believe Dungey has everything (age/equipment/support/skill) he needs to put two more championships on the books before he calls it a wrap. The younger guns are surely pounding on the door, but I predict that RD will elevate his game in 2016 to meet the challenges he will surely get. He won't always be the fastest, but he'll podium his way to another winning points total when the smoke clears. And, I further predict he will retire at the end of 2016.
MR. X
8/19/2015 9:17am
KlootZak wrote:
I think if everything goes right, he'll manage 2 more titles but I think the end is near for Turbo Diesel. The young guns are stepping...
I think if everything goes right, he'll manage 2 more titles but I think the end is near for Turbo Diesel. The young guns are stepping up, they have gone through the rookie mistakes and now they are ready to deliver (if they don't injure himself). I see Roczen and/or Tomac being faster than Dungey next year. The question will be if they have the same consistency level as Dungey. That's why I think he will get another title but it will be more and more difficult ...
I'm not so sure dungey will ever always be the fastest guy out there. At some point it seems there has to be a middle of the road between hauling ass and staying upright all season.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
8/19/2015 9:17am
This to me is one of the most impressive things about Dungey. How he's able to ride that edge and be in the elite groups of speed while also being more consistent than many riders who ride more conservatively. You tend to have two groups 1. those like JS, RV, ET, JB etc who are constantly pushing the edge and are usually the fastest but are known to crash or have injuries and then 2 those like AS29, KW, etc who know their limit and don't go beyond that.

Dungey is the only rider who fits into both camps. Think about this:

- he's never missed an entire series (something no national champ except for Roczen can say since before RC)
- his most significant injury that comes to mind was a collar bone that took him out for a couple races
- yet he has always been in the title hunt for every championship he's competed in since turning pro (only RV shares this honor since before MC, not even RC was a contender for every championship he contested)

Amazing.

The Shop

davistld01
8/19/2015 9:19am
KlootZak wrote:
I think if everything goes right, he'll manage 2 more titles but I think the end is near for Turbo Diesel. The young guns are stepping...
MR. X wrote:
I'm not so sure dungey will ever always be the fastest guy out there. At some point it seems there has to be a middle of...
I'm not so sure dungey will ever always be the fastest guy out there. At some point it seems there has to be a middle of the road between hauling ass and staying upright all season.
Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!
8/19/2015 9:41am
Dungey deserves everyone's respect and if he stopped now he has already had an amazing career. I don't see any evidence of burnout yet and I think there is more he will accomplish going forward. Big question in my mind is Roger's plans. Might influence Ryan's timing if he was to retire anytime soon.
jeffro503
8/19/2015 9:43am
davistld01 wrote:
I agree. I believe Dungey has everything (age/equipment/support/skill) he needs to put two more championships on the books before he calls it a wrap. The younger...
I agree. I believe Dungey has everything (age/equipment/support/skill) he needs to put two more championships on the books before he calls it a wrap. The younger guns are surely pounding on the door, but I predict that RD will elevate his game in 2016 to meet the challenges he will surely get. He won't always be the fastest, but he'll podium his way to another winning points total when the smoke clears. And, I further predict he will retire at the end of 2016.
I think he has quite a bit more than two left. But that's my opinion. I see him going for at least two more full years , and possibly 3 - 4yrs if he thinks he's still competitive. That consistency game he's got going on has played out very well for his career.
Question
8/19/2015 9:59am

Since The Man is his mentor, maybe he planned to do the same career !Cool
ML512
Fantasy
45th
8/19/2015 10:05am
davistld01 wrote:
I agree. I believe Dungey has everything (age/equipment/support/skill) he needs to put two more championships on the books before he calls it a wrap. The younger...
He has a contract through 2017 that he signed this year. He's going for at least two more years and the re-evaluate his situation.
8/19/2015 10:12am
He's the Kiedrowski of this generation. Not flashy, capitalizes on peoples mistakes, has lots of championships, but won't get mentioned too often in the future. Then, in about 2025, when Ryder D and Dangerboy are killing their respective Coasts, some talking head will mention him and say "man, he was so under-rated ya know?"
moto0852
8/19/2015 11:00am
He's got two more years for sure. That's four series (MX/SX) I've got to believe he could get one more title...possibly three but my main interest is where will he end up with on total wins. I would think he could get 15+ more wins in the next two years.

Anybody have the stats on where he lies now on the list of top riders? I believe he was bumping up against Stewart for forth or so?

Could be third most winning rider ever? (someone correct me with the real stats please)
fidiot
8/19/2015 11:07am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 11:08am
On the PulpMX show, they said Dungey has made 97% of the races since turning pro! The next closest was 80%! I cannot remember who it was.

Dungey is signed for 2016 and 2017. He will most likely retire after that. He turned pro in 2008, so has 8 yrs as a pro so far.

Out of four possible titles in those two years, I figure he is good for at least two more.
mauidex
8/19/2015 11:24am
he will definetely be the MPE.............most podiums everCool
jeffro503
8/19/2015 12:47pm
From watching this sport for a very long time, it seems 10yrs is the sweet spot. Some go longer , some shorter. With RD's health i could see him going longer than 10yrs. We may have another Reed , Stewart or KW on our hands here. But a lot longer winning streak. Who knows? Incredible career even if it ended today.
IWreckALot
8/19/2015 12:56pm
I kinda wonder if Dungey will follow in Decoster's footsteps and start working on bike development and team management. How cool would that be? He is extremely committed and works smarter than he works harder. And he works fucking hard. I could see him wanting to develop bikes once he's done.
mauidex
8/19/2015 12:58pm
I think he'll race as long as KTM wants him................crazier things have happened but I don't see him going to any other teams and will finish his racing days there..............

yeah with his game plan he could easily be around another strong 5 years and 4 or 5 more CHAMPIONSHIPS, and quite possibly be the new Windham and race till he feels he isn't competitive

With his statements in that interview I could easily see him becoming the american version of stefan everts with KTM, though that is rumored to be ending, and transition into management
8/19/2015 1:02pm
Funny thing; when Villopoto said Dungey, would never be "one of the greats". I think he misjudged Dungey, kinda like mxgp...
olds cool
8/19/2015 1:04pm
Don't know how many more years or titles he has left but I like "Swiss watch" better than "Diesel". You may be on to something there, jeffro!
ktm212
8/19/2015 1:04pm
MR. X wrote:
I'm not so sure dungey will ever always be the fastest guy out there. At some point it seems there has to be a middle of...
I dont understand why everyone thinks hes not the fastest. We're so used to the "Fastest person on the track" being 30 seconds ahead of everyone halfway through the race like RC or RV in some instances but RD5 has had those kinds of leads, hes been the FOTT at so many races this year yet you all say he doesn't have out right speed, what about just this past weekend at Utah he was the fast on the track, he ran down and passed Kenny in both motos, same for Dilla. just because hes not off the rev limiter or scrubbing of doing ridiculous things on camera hes still the fastest at probably 50%+ of the races this year.
Moto75
8/19/2015 1:41pm
Seems there's 3 routes out of MX: Forced out due to injury, the rare going out on top & handing the torch to the next wave. I see Dungey as the ladder, dude enjoys & will ride till he's no longer competitive for a championship. I think he has 3-5 years left. He will win a couple more but gradually see his competitiveness change.
8/19/2015 2:14pm
He's the one who scored the most points since 2010 and by far. Here's the top ten of this 2010 decade til now:

1 Ryan Dungey 5143
2 Justin Barcia 3196
3 Eli Tomac 3146
4 Blake Baggett 2945
5 Ken Roczen 2868
6 Ryan Villopoto 2755
7 Andrew Short 2683
8 Marvin Musquin 2451
9 Trey Canard 2449
10 Broc Tickle 2370

And I got the top 10 in Europe since 2010 too:

1 Antonio Cairoli 3837
2 Jeffrey Herlings 3494
3 Clement Desalle 3078
4 Gautier Paulin 2690
5 Jeremy Van Horebeek 2446
6 Jordi Tixier 2263
7 Max Nagl 2149
8 Tommy Searle 2041
9 Kevin Strijbos 2013
10 Ken De Dycker 1997

Post a reply to: Dungey's longevity , what's his stats going to be like when he's all done?

The Latest