Dungey's legacy

McG194
None of us has any idea how Dungey will do in his return to the Nationals. I wouldn't be shocked if he never got a podium this summer and I also wouldn't be shocked if he won the whole thing.

That being said the Ryans are linked hand in hand as far as where they rate in the overall ranking of greatest riders ever with Villopoto being favored by most guys because he won more head-to-head battles.

My question is if (Big if) Dungey can somehow have the Cinderella season of all time and pull off a championship this summer does he cement himself as the better of the two Ryans?

*** No need to get shitty and tell me he'll never win; this is just a hypothetical question. ***
Poll

Battle of the Ryans

Choices
|
Johnny Ringo
5/24/2022 9:08am
If he wins, however unlikely, that leaves him tied with RV on titles. On a tie, I think you gotta give it to the guy that was better head to head. My $.02….

Lots of Southwick 2011 posts incoming….
McG194
5/24/2022 9:09am
TriRacer27 wrote:
I'm in the minority but I already have RD above RV.
I may as well but I probably think it's a 60/40 split among most fans with RV in the lead.

If I needed to win a race I'm picking RV, if I need a championship, I'm taking the Dunge. The podium streak he put together was unreal.
Moto520
5/24/2022 9:10am
RV is totally underrated by most of my buddies. He was so dominant while he was racing......one of the best ever.

The Shop

Titan1
5/24/2022 9:12am
Moto520 wrote:
RV is totally underrated by most of my buddies. He was so dominant while he was racing......one of the best ever.
If his career wasn't marred by injury...he'd be in the conversation about who is better between him and RC. How many titles did he not compete in because of injury? Has to be about 5 or 6 it seems like...And how many titles, that he didn't miss a race, did he lose? None? Or a handful? I don't think he got beat for titles without missing races for injury very often.
Johnny Ringo
5/24/2022 9:15am
Moto520 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
If his career wasn't marred by injury...he'd be in the conversation about who is better between him and RC. How many titles did he not compete...
If his career wasn't marred by injury...he'd be in the conversation about who is better between him and RC. How many titles did he not compete in because of injury? Has to be about 5 or 6 it seems like...And how many titles, that he didn't miss a race, did he lose? None? Or a handful? I don't think he got beat for titles without missing races for injury very often.
He missed 4 outdoor seasons. That’s almost half of his career! We definitely got shorted on RV racing a 450 outside.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
5/24/2022 9:17am
If RV has a major knock it’s this. 26. That’s the amount of 450 MX races he did.
Johnny Ringo
5/24/2022 9:25am
I think another thing that gets missed is RV’s MXDN performances. USA was 4-0 with RV. Dunge was good the first three years, but 12-14 were NOT good.

Heck, RV should get the nod just for Budds 07
Cygrace74
5/24/2022 9:28am
I think largely forgotten but 2011 title is won by dungey without the fuel dnf at freestone and giving him a podium the moto of his electrical issue at southwick. He was head to head even with RV outdoors on the Suzuki. Same as his 2014 title battle with roczen when he had a DNF with battery failure on KTM and lost the title by I believe 14 points.
Alex814
5/24/2022 9:39am
Sure, if he manages to win this championship I think it does improve his legacy. Coming back and immediately winning in a different era than he retired would be unprecedented and also is very, very unlikely.
tomlopez
5/24/2022 9:58am
Dungey is an all-time great of our sport. His ability to be a top performer in the 450 class year after year, barely missing any time at all, cements him as one of the true ironmen of SX/MX. He also has one more premier class title than RV (4 SX/3 MX vs 4 SX/2 MX).

However, RV had the most dominant peak I've ever seen. Of course, he didn't win 7 SX titles in 8 years like MC or win 7 straight MX titles like RC, but for a four-year stretch, there wasn't a single rider in America that matched him in either discipline. While RC was unbeatable outdoors, James often times was faster on an SX track. And while MC was unbeatable in SX, he obviously wasn't the same outdoors. But from 2011-2014, Villopoto was the class of the field, indoors and out. Every time I sat down on Saturday to watch the races, my mindset was always "will anybody be able to beat Villopoto?" I think that speaks a lot to just how dominant he was. I didn't even root for him either, I rooted for Dungey to beat him, but it seemed like that didn't pan out the majority of the time.

So, if Dungey manages to win this title, I think it wouldn't be insane to say that he's had a GREATER career than Villopoto, just because of having 2 more outdoor titles, one of which being after a 6 year hiatus. However, I will always think that Villopoto was the BETTER of the two riders. I believe if he raced 2-3 more years, he would be in the GOAT conversation, and I don't think Dungey ever had GOAT potential. We'll never know if Villopoto would've reached that level though, as he called it quits early. Dungey kept going and ended up accomplishing everything RV did and then some.

SWOHIO GUY
5/24/2022 10:08am
Dungey is forever in debt to to the downhills at Thunder Valley. Arguably won 2 titles from those hills.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/24/2022 10:23am
Moto520 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
If his career wasn't marred by injury...he'd be in the conversation about who is better between him and RC. How many titles did he not compete...
Could say the same thing about Stewart. Woulda coulda shoulda. You have to line up to win.

What if RD's seeming lack of all-out speed compared to RV was because he was so good at knowing where the line was and not crossing it, which is why he was so consistent? I've heard so many say they wish Stewart had been willing to take a 2nd instead of throwing it away, but then they look down on guys like Dungey for maybe doing exactly that.
5/24/2022 10:24am
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
Dungey is forever in debt to to the downhills at Thunder Valley. Arguably won 2 titles from those hills.
So, he raced through those downhills and survived while others faltered? Okay, got it.
Alex814
5/24/2022 10:33am
tomlopez wrote:
Dungey is an all-time great of our sport. His ability to be a top performer in the 450 class year after year, barely missing any time...
Dungey is an all-time great of our sport. His ability to be a top performer in the 450 class year after year, barely missing any time at all, cements him as one of the true ironmen of SX/MX. He also has one more premier class title than RV (4 SX/3 MX vs 4 SX/2 MX).

However, RV had the most dominant peak I've ever seen. Of course, he didn't win 7 SX titles in 8 years like MC or win 7 straight MX titles like RC, but for a four-year stretch, there wasn't a single rider in America that matched him in either discipline. While RC was unbeatable outdoors, James often times was faster on an SX track. And while MC was unbeatable in SX, he obviously wasn't the same outdoors. But from 2011-2014, Villopoto was the class of the field, indoors and out. Every time I sat down on Saturday to watch the races, my mindset was always "will anybody be able to beat Villopoto?" I think that speaks a lot to just how dominant he was. I didn't even root for him either, I rooted for Dungey to beat him, but it seemed like that didn't pan out the majority of the time.

So, if Dungey manages to win this title, I think it wouldn't be insane to say that he's had a GREATER career than Villopoto, just because of having 2 more outdoor titles, one of which being after a 6 year hiatus. However, I will always think that Villopoto was the BETTER of the two riders. I believe if he raced 2-3 more years, he would be in the GOAT conversation, and I don't think Dungey ever had GOAT potential. We'll never know if Villopoto would've reached that level though, as he called it quits early. Dungey kept going and ended up accomplishing everything RV did and then some.

To say RV was more dominant than RC is a bit of a stretch. Stew, Reed and Dungey gave him plenty of trouble indoors and out during that time.

RC never lost an outdoor title, nor missed one with injury. It was 10 straight including 125s. RV did not race outdoors nearly enough on a 450 to be in that conversation with RC.
Cygrace74
5/24/2022 10:40am
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
I’d say the rider who didn’t destroy his year on the hill is the better rider. Dungey could of course physically go down the hill as fast as Tomac and Stewart, and they’d be sharing an ER. If you have to crash sometimes to go that fast then you’re not capable of actually being that fast. Anyone can go over there head, like how Hampshire isn’t actually a winning rider if he’s within his talent, he has to risk life and limb to do it when most aren’t willing
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/24/2022 10:59am
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
Cygrace74 wrote:
I’d say the rider who didn’t destroy his year on the hill is the better rider. Dungey could of course physically go down the hill as...
I’d say the rider who didn’t destroy his year on the hill is the better rider. Dungey could of course physically go down the hill as fast as Tomac and Stewart, and they’d be sharing an ER. If you have to crash sometimes to go that fast then you’re not capable of actually being that fast. Anyone can go over there head, like how Hampshire isn’t actually a winning rider if he’s within his talent, he has to risk life and limb to do it when most aren’t willing
EXACTLY!

Hell, I could go down that hill as fast as anyone, once.

That's also what makes RC the goat. He was able to go 99.5% as fast as anyone else at any time, but consistent enough to go undefeated outdoors in the 10 titles he chased.
Motofinne
5/24/2022 11:29am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2022 11:39am
Cygrace74 wrote:
I think largely forgotten but 2011 title is won by dungey without the fuel dnf at freestone and giving him a podium the moto of his...
I think largely forgotten but 2011 title is won by dungey without the fuel dnf at freestone and giving him a podium the moto of his electrical issue at southwick. He was head to head even with RV outdoors on the Suzuki. Same as his 2014 title battle with roczen when he had a DNF with battery failure on KTM and lost the title by I believe 14 points.
Then i'd say CR22 wins the series if Millville doesn't happen.

That season was exceptional. It's seldom that i would say that all three top riders kinda "deserved" to win that title. Unfortunately only one can win.
USA
Fantasy
428th
5/24/2022 11:53am
Dungey, the defending supercross champion in 2011, won a single race. I mean, it's not as bad as Cooper Webb in 22, but that alone knocks him below RV. RV defended every single one of his championships successfully, but somehow Dungey is the one people think of as consistent. Consistently worse than RV.
Phil109
5/24/2022 12:05pm
My opinion is that my opinion of them really doesn’t make a shit. Both legends in their own right despite what happens this summer.
5/24/2022 2:00pm
Moto520 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Then you have to give Dungey the same benefit. Diesel sweeps 2011 if his chain doesn't break at Anaheim in SX or his fuel doesn't boil outdoors at Freestone.
wreckitrandy
5/24/2022 2:14pm
Moto520 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Lots of people say the same thing about Stewart.
Forty
5/24/2022 2:31pm
Threads like this aren't really bench racing, they are pissing matches and fanboy opinions and stats that are stretched out with bias.

We've had this same thread 15 times and it always ends the same.

If you want to know how good RV was ask RD. If you want to know how good RD was, ask RV.

These guys respect each other for the competitor that they were at the time that they were.

Anyway, here we are.
mxb2
5/24/2022 2:34pm
Forty wrote:
Threads like this aren't really bench racing, they are pissing matches and fanboy opinions and stats that are stretched out with bias. We've had this same...
Threads like this aren't really bench racing, they are pissing matches and fanboy opinions and stats that are stretched out with bias.

If you want to know how good RV was ask RD. If you want to know how good RD was, ask RV.

These guys respect each other for the competitor that they were at the time that they were.

Anyway, here we are.
Yep, that being said. Ya can only go by stats. Numbers dont lie. Wins are nice. Titles are better.
Forty
5/24/2022 2:37pm
Forty wrote:
Threads like this aren't really bench racing, they are pissing matches and fanboy opinions and stats that are stretched out with bias. We've had this same...

Anyway, here we are.
mxb2 wrote:
Yep, that being said. Ya can only go by stats. Numbers dont lie. Wins are nice. Titles are better.
Yes sir.
McG194
5/24/2022 2:43pm
Forty wrote:

Anyway, here we are.
For the record that's not how this thread started. I honestly flip flop back and forth between which guy I think is better. The intention of the thread was that if Dunge did have the most improbable season ever and win the title would it be enough to move him firmly in front of RV? In my opinion because they are so close now it would.

As it sits right now, they are both in that space that is getting very crowded for who is the 4th head on Mt. Rushmore after Jeremy, Ricky and Bubba.
mxb2
5/24/2022 2:56pm
Forty wrote:

Anyway, here we are.
McG194 wrote:
For the record that's not how this thread started. I honestly flip flop back and forth between which guy I think is better. The intention of...
For the record that's not how this thread started. I honestly flip flop back and forth between which guy I think is better. The intention of the thread was that if Dunge did have the most improbable season ever and win the title would it be enough to move him firmly in front of RV? In my opinion because they are so close now it would.

As it sits right now, they are both in that space that is getting very crowded for who is the 4th head on Mt. Rushmore after Jeremy, Ricky and Bubba.
Replace bubba. Add rd, rv. Top 4.

Post a reply to: Dungey's legacy

The Latest