Dungey's bike / setup

147leeman
My 2 cents from attending and then watching the race on tv...

His bike is exiting ruts early.
Back of bike dancing right to left way more than others.
Rear end hop more than others.
Bike not following the arcs of race lines

Not a huge fan of Dungey, but I feel bad for the effort he puts in while the racers in front of him look like they're more in control at race speed. More out of control than I've ever seen him.

Is this suspension setting issues?
Chassis / Geometry issues?
Can't believe ktm hasn't figured this out yet.

Has 1 million screams of redbud made me delusional?
|
7/3/2022 5:57am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 6:10pm
That's a tough sample size, Riding has changed maybe ths style of ruts have changed also, when I watch him I see a guy who rides old school style in a modern era, he sits down much more than the other top guys which could be the reason why his bike bounces around.

But hey what do I know It seems like the bike is always to blame on here, maybe the bike is forcing him to sit down Tongue
147leeman
7/3/2022 6:05am
That does make logical sense. Hope he's back too.
7/3/2022 6:18am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 4:22pm
I was thinking exactly this watching. Cairoli didnt seem himself on it too when here
resetjet
7/3/2022 6:26am
He was going for it for sure. I think most of his problem is just not having enough recent full on racing…..hes doing great, but he seems to be working way to hard for dungey.

The Shop

Tumic
7/3/2022 6:40am
147leeman wrote:
That does make logical sense. Hope he's back too.
Sitting while braking, using inside lines while braking etc sure don’t help him.

A rider with good riding style always makes the bike look good. Roczen, Sexton, Craig, Lawrence brothers etc..
walent215
7/3/2022 7:10am
147leeman wrote:
My 2 cents from attending and then watching the race on tv... His bike is exiting ruts early. Back of bike dancing right to left way...
My 2 cents from attending and then watching the race on tv...

His bike is exiting ruts early.
Back of bike dancing right to left way more than others.
Rear end hop more than others.
Bike not following the arcs of race lines

Not a huge fan of Dungey, but I feel bad for the effort he puts in while the racers in front of him look like they're more in control at race speed. More out of control than I've ever seen him.

Is this suspension setting issues?
Chassis / Geometry issues?
Can't believe ktm hasn't figured this out yet.

Has 1 million screams of redbud made me delusional?
I agree the bike definitely doesn’t settle like previous gen ktms
Cool thing is you don’t hear him complain one bit
Just goes out there and charges for 30+2
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
7/3/2022 7:55am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 8:33am
I thought his bike looks a lot busier as well. Tomac’s Yamaha suspension on the other hand looks fantastic.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/3/2022 7:59am
I’ve seen it quite a few times this year with both Dungey and Cairolli, but especially Dungey since they’ve shown him more. I’ve seen him hot stuff with the front end and the bike not really absorb much of the impact and Dungey basically go chest to bars. We know that’s not from Dungey not being strong enough. I’ve seen the bike dance around a lot and never really look settled. No doubt they are struggling with the bike a bit. I believe if they put Dungey on last years bike he finds that extra bit needed and ends up on the podium multiple times.
Hcallz5
7/3/2022 9:31am
Hopefully the big wigs at KTM have realized their fuck up on the redesign.
ricky racer
7/3/2022 9:37am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 9:38am
Yeah, I commented to the guy I was watching with that his bike looked terrible on the braking bumps. It looked like a bucking bronco. To me, the front looked as bad as the rear suspension.
7/3/2022 9:44am
Hcallz5 wrote:
But most tests have preferred the new model.
onefiveight
7/3/2022 9:45am
His bike definitely looked less settled than others.
Flatliner
7/3/2022 9:55am
Hcallz5 wrote:
That doesn't always translate once you start adding power.
7/3/2022 9:57am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 10:01am
Hcallz5 wrote:
Flatliner wrote:
Or just the team had nearly a decade of testing/data, suspension settings, chassis setup, and gusseting/modifications to the old frame and it will take them a little bit to reacquire that knowledge to figure out what their guys like.
Zycki11
7/3/2022 9:59am
TogaSet wrote:
I thought his bike looks a lot busier as well. Tomac’s Yamaha suspension on the other hand looks fantastic.
Dungeys bike doesn't look good. I also don't think Tomacs is dialed in just yet, as he has some wallowing and random movements that seem off. Honestly, Chase's bike looks the best. I don't even think Roczens bike looks that good. Andersons also looks good
7/3/2022 10:04am
Zycki11 wrote:
Dungeys bike doesn't look good. I also don't think Tomacs is dialed in just yet, as he has some wallowing and random movements that seem off...
Dungeys bike doesn't look good. I also don't think Tomacs is dialed in just yet, as he has some wallowing and random movements that seem off. Honestly, Chase's bike looks the best. I don't even think Roczens bike looks that good. Andersons also looks good
Chase could look smooth riding on a CR500 with a blown out shock.
Zycki11
7/3/2022 10:11am
Zycki11 wrote:
Dungeys bike doesn't look good. I also don't think Tomacs is dialed in just yet, as he has some wallowing and random movements that seem off...
Chase could look smooth riding on a CR500 with a blown out shock.
Not true at all, I remember his bike looking like crap when he was on the 250 and it looked like crap last year on the 450. Honda has figured out something that works for him and it hardly has any side to side movement. It is able to float over the large stuff and handles the little chop just as well.
Splat03
7/3/2022 10:14am
Look at the bikes KTM developed from 2012 thru now. The 12.5 FE was built for Dungey. All the subsequent models for the next 8 years used RD5 as a base for them. Moving forward, they are using Webb as their base. Both are strong riders but certainly different body types and riding styles. Look at the early 2000s RMs. Built for Pastrana, took a couple years to make them work well for RC4.
7/3/2022 10:19am
Splat03 wrote:
Look at the bikes KTM developed from 2012 thru now. The 12.5 FE was built for Dungey. All the subsequent models for the next 8 years...
Look at the bikes KTM developed from 2012 thru now. The 12.5 FE was built for Dungey. All the subsequent models for the next 8 years used RD5 as a base for them. Moving forward, they are using Webb as their base. Both are strong riders but certainly different body types and riding styles. Look at the early 2000s RMs. Built for Pastrana, took a couple years to make them work well for RC4.
Better let Cooper know the new bike was built for him...
kpiper
7/3/2022 10:30am
I think Dungey was riding well above his limits which is something he never had to do before. This made the bike look bad.
7/3/2022 10:38am
kpiper wrote:
I think Dungey was riding well above his limits which is something he never had to do before. This made the bike look bad.
We are seeing elevated expectations foisted upon Dunge driven by being so much better than anybody could have expected, and now inserting himself in the podium competitive part of the mix every moto.
walent215
7/3/2022 10:51am
Hcallz5 wrote:
Flatliner wrote:
Or elite level athletes
7/3/2022 10:53am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 10:55am
Flatliner wrote:
walent215 wrote:
Or elite level athletes
But is it a "fuck up" if they made a better product for their customers?

It's the race team's job to figure out what Dunge needs.
147leeman
7/3/2022 11:15am
Does it take this long for their race team to figure out Webb's sx and now Dungey's mx settings? Surely they could've found suspension that wouldn't huck, kick and swap every lap I saw him..then a chassis fix to keep him from double clutching coming out of corners early. Ktm has the money and engineering to fix this quicker than this round, and for their best rider.

This has nothing to do with current production machines for customers.
7/3/2022 11:19am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2022 11:28am
147leeman wrote:
Does it take this long for their race team to figure out Webb's sx and now Dungey's mx settings? Surely they could've found suspension that wouldn't...
Does it take this long for their race team to figure out Webb's sx and now Dungey's mx settings? Surely they could've found suspension that wouldn't huck, kick and swap every lap I saw him..then a chassis fix to keep him from double clutching coming out of corners early. Ktm has the money and engineering to fix this quicker than this round, and for their best rider.

I am kinda reminded of the online discussion arch for the Yamaha 450. Thing was cleaning up in shootouts, but "just couldn't compete at top level" according to Vital. Big, heavy, unmanageable

Then they change up who is doing what and Ferrandis and Tomac are throwing it around like a mountain bike. Just throwing corporate resources at it isn't the entirety of the solution.
147leeman
7/3/2022 11:30am
147leeman wrote:
Does it take this long for their race team to figure out Webb's sx and now Dungey's mx settings? Surely they could've found suspension that wouldn't...

I am kinda reminded of the online discussion arch for the Yamaha 450. Thing was cleaning up in shootouts, but "just couldn't compete at top level"...
I am kinda reminded of the online discussion arch for the Yamaha 450. Thing was cleaning up in shootouts, but "just couldn't compete at top level" according to Vital. Big, heavy, unmanageable

Then they change up who is doing what and Ferrandis and Tomac are throwing it around like a mountain bike. Just throwing corporate resources at it isn't the entirety of the solution.
I do agree with you. Just hope that Dungey finds a setting or riding style change that works better. His effort was huge.
Zycki11
7/3/2022 11:34am
147leeman wrote:

I am kinda reminded of the online discussion arch for the Yamaha 450. Thing was cleaning up in shootouts, but "just couldn't compete at top level"...

147leeman wrote:
I do agree with you. Just hope that Dungey finds a setting or riding style change that works better. His effort was huge.
I honestly thought we were going to see the last of Dungey this season when he landed off the track before the sand rollers. Imagine having a high side at that speed..... YIKES
147leeman
7/3/2022 11:36am
Zycki11 wrote:
I honestly thought we were going to see the last of Dungey this season when he landed off the track before the sand rollers. Imagine having...
I honestly thought we were going to see the last of Dungey this season when he landed off the track before the sand rollers. Imagine having a high side at that speed..... YIKES
Heck yeah that was close! Certain things you don't see at a race until tv time at home.

Post a reply to: Dungey's bike / setup

The Latest