Dungey's KTM

BAD10
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:22am
OK, we all know that Dungey has only had mere days on his new bike, so this is just an observation. I'm sure they will get it better before A1, but aside from the rear suspension not looking very good, he also looked awkward in the turns, like he was having a tough time getting the thing to corner. At least it looked that way to me.
|
EvanR127
10/16/2011 11:12am
The only thing that struck me was loss of traction compared to the over bikes at the race.
10/16/2011 11:17am
I'm so blown away that the KTM looked like it had a pogo-stick for a rear shock. NEVER.SAW.THAT.COMING.
SlowMoFo
10/16/2011 11:21am
I am no suspension expert but the only bike I saw that was totally comfortable thru the woops was RV's. Maybe is a matter of how he approached them as he was wheeling at the beggining while most were hihhint the first bump with the front tire. Where I saw Dungey's speed suffer was corner speed. It seems to me that he pushed the bike at times but didn't feel comfortable with the bike's feedback and he backed it up to be safe. I'm sure this race was a great testing session and they will rip the benefits of it by Anaheim 1 but they sure have some homework to do.
ktm212
10/16/2011 11:30am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2011 11:31am
dungeys KTM looked good sometimes and bad others, i think hes still figuring it out, it looks like theyve got alot of weight on the forks bc the back was really pushing him into the corners and a few times it kinda bent him outta shape, but it you watched metty go threw the whoops the RM did the EXACT same thing as the KTM in terms of kinda bouncing, just on the ktm it pushed him into that turn after the rollers a little harder.

theres no doubt in my mind that they have the whole race on video and they will sit down, and get it straightened out, for only having a week on a kTM after spending his whole amateur career and pro on a suzuki i dont think we can take much away from him, roger, ian and dung will get it figured out, theyve got 10weeks!

HOWEVER, Villopoto was fucking crazy?! haha dude was the only person charging and being agressive in and out of turns, he was in the ZONEEEE. 2012 SX and MX champ again folks

The Shop

TerryB
10/16/2011 11:33am
We're looking at two extremes. RV's bike that is the latest generation of a refined race bike. Totally dialed, and it looks it.

Dungey's is a completely new model, both to him, and KTM. Lots left to do with that package, and now they know what they have to fix.

He did look like he was struggling in the turns, especially compared to RV and the 'Zooks of Alessi and Metcalf.
mx317
10/16/2011 11:35am
It looked good enough to neat everyone except RV.
TerryB
10/16/2011 11:36am
HOWEVER, Villopoto was fucking crazy?! haha dude was the only person charging and being agressive in and out of turns, he was in the ZONEEEE. 2012 SX and MX champ again folks

Gotta agree with that. Certainly made me a believer last night.
tp4
10/16/2011 11:37am
I think they should go buy a" 12" Kaw and learn whats up.. because that bike is at an advantage.
ktm212
10/16/2011 11:57am
tp4 wrote:
I think they should go buy a" 12" Kaw and learn whats up.. because that bike is at an advantage.
yeah it even made nick wey fast haha
HatersSuck
10/16/2011 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2011 12:07pm
The suspension was fine and so was Dungey. Watch every bike going through those rollers and they were all bouncing around. Ryan's bike was good enough to beat everyone except RV.

RV was on rails last night. Everyone has there days and RV had one to remember last night.

Funny how no one wants to point out Brayton's lackluster ride. Must be the bike!!!! No way it could be the rider.
HatersSuck
10/16/2011 12:09pm
TerryB wrote:
We're looking at two extremes. RV's bike that is the latest generation of a refined race bike. Totally dialed, and it looks it. Dungey's is a...
We're looking at two extremes. RV's bike that is the latest generation of a refined race bike. Totally dialed, and it looks it.

Dungey's is a completely new model, both to him, and KTM. Lots left to do with that package, and now they know what they have to fix.

He did look like he was struggling in the turns, especially compared to RV and the 'Zooks of Alessi and Metcalf.
Races are won in the corners. If Metty's and mikes bikes were so good then how come Dungey handed them there asses???
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
10/16/2011 12:14pm
HatersSuck wrote:
The suspension was fine and so was Dungey. Watch every bike going through those rollers and they were all bouncing around. Ryan's bike was good enough...
The suspension was fine and so was Dungey. Watch every bike going through those rollers and they were all bouncing around. Ryan's bike was good enough to beat everyone except RV.

RV was on rails last night. Everyone has there days and RV had one to remember last night.

Funny how no one wants to point out Brayton's lackluster ride. Must be the bike!!!! No way it could be the rider.
I am not sure why Honda even signed Brayton in the first place, I don't see him being a threat to win a race and much less a championship. They had a better chance to win with Josh Grant and even he is was longshot.
10/16/2011 12:18pm
Hopefully they got some good testing they needed in. That was the main goal besides the million dollars wasn't it? I'm sure they knew going in that there is still plenty of testing to do and what better place to do it? I'm sure come A1 Dungey and Roger will be ready to compete for a championship.

ps im not a Dungey fan...
captmoto
10/16/2011 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2011 12:43pm
I think KTM and Dungey were really brave racing that bike after only 10 days and in itself was a pretty good statement of where they are in their development.They really had alot to lose in Vegas. Racing is really THE best place to sort out your set-up. They had to have learned alot last night. A1 will really be interesting.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/16/2011 12:42pm
HatersSuck wrote:
Races are won in the corners. If Metty's and mikes bikes were so good then how come Dungey handed them there asses???
And starts. Ryan said afterwards that was one of the reasons why they chose to race, was because the format gave them so many chances to see how it's work on starts.
machine
10/16/2011 12:44pm
HatersSuck wrote:
The suspension was fine and so was Dungey. Watch every bike going through those rollers and they were all bouncing around. Ryan's bike was good enough...

I agree, all the RD fans want to pretend the bike is what held him back. The only thing holding him back is lack of aggressiveness and time on the bike. Yes, i'm sure there is some more "refining" to do, but he looked good.
10/16/2011 12:44pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I am not sure why Honda even signed Brayton in the first place, I don't see him being a threat to win a race and much...
I am not sure why Honda even signed Brayton in the first place, I don't see him being a threat to win a race and much less a championship. They had a better chance to win with Josh Grant and even he is was longshot.
The ONLY way a rider has value is if he wins. You really hit the nail on the head. Whistling
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
10/16/2011 12:56pm
machine wrote:
I agree, all the RD fans want to pretend the bike is what held him back. The only thing holding him back is lack of aggressiveness...
I agree, all the RD fans want to pretend the bike is what held him back. The only thing holding him back is lack of aggressiveness and time on the bike. Yes, i'm sure there is some more "refining" to do, but he looked good.
I agree 100% on the lack of aggression. I'm starting to fall off the RD bandwagon with his seemingly trail riding mentality while running behind guys. It's absolutely frustrating to watch.
Big E
10/16/2011 1:23pm
RD, RD and the rest of the team will have that bike dialed by A1. The race was just to see how far they have come in 8 days on the bike. If you ask me, if they progress as fast as they have with 8 days on the bike, ALL of next year is going to be fun.

RV rode like he and the bike were one last night. That is a hard combo to beat!
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
10/16/2011 1:26pm
Hey - RV was on it and no one was beating him last night. RD did well on the new bike. Second place and $35 grand is not so bad with just deciding to race a few days ago. It would have been stupid for RD to ride over his head on a new bike to him and KTM that is not dialed in and get hurt and not be ready for A1.
LoudLove
10/16/2011 1:42pm
The track also favored Villipoto's riding style. He's a master at steering with the rear wheel, which pays huge dividends on slick courses with loose gravel. The rest of the field struggled to find traction in the wide, flat corners, while Villipoto could hold the throttle open for an additional tenth of a second and get back on it a tenth earlier as well. He put on a clinic, and served notice that west coast SX events are his to lose. Especially when your best lap time is a full 2+ seconds faster than the next quickest rider.
bents
Fantasy
710th
10/16/2011 2:20pm
When was the last time KTM won a heat race in the 450 class? Or landed on the podium 3 times (in 1 night no less!!). I thought he looked pretty darned good while riding conservatively-he was far from pushing it. The 2012 will be plenty close. Lets not go giving RV the trophy just yet.
Ing
10/16/2011 2:28pm
bents wrote:
When was the last time KTM won a heat race in the 450 class? Or landed on the podium 3 times (in 1 night no less!!)...
When was the last time KTM won a heat race in the 450 class? Or landed on the podium 3 times (in 1 night no less!!). I thought he looked pretty darned good while riding conservatively-he was far from pushing it. The 2012 will be plenty close. Lets not go giving RV the trophy just yet.
X 2. Well said.
10/16/2011 2:28pm
You could tell his bike wasn't dialed in especially the first race. Even Ricky and Jeff said something. I imagine they went back and clicked some clickers here and there. It got better as the night went on and all and all a smart move by KTM.

Anyone that thinks that bike is gunna hold him back or not be 100% dialed in by Anaheim is on glue!
MXR
10/16/2011 2:32pm
KTM has 2 1/2 months of work to do .

Team Kawi is looking good heading into 2012
broman64
10/16/2011 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2011 2:46pm
machine wrote:
I agree, all the RD fans want to pretend the bike is what held him back. The only thing holding him back is lack of aggressiveness...
I am a MX/SX fan and RD is at the top... I am also a fan of the way people behave with fame and fortune, and RD's gifts far outway his talents on a bike... RD will be great for KTM's American presence, ntm RogerD., that probably has alot to do with KTM going after him the way and how much they offered him... He has value, on and off the bike... RD will be good for them, and Roger makes it good for him... KTM did it right... They all had a good night... However, RV got the $... I can't wait for A1...
BMan-
PRM31
10/16/2011 2:46pm
Given he's only been on the bike for two weeks, and that it is a bike that is essentially brand new, I was impressed. I understand KTM had been working on the bike for awhile, but that engine, frame suspension combo has never been raced at RD's speed. Pretty competitive given so little refinement.
Hank_Thrill
10/16/2011 3:10pm
Jim Holley: Any changes you can think off the top of your head you would like to change, like maybe some suspension changes?

Dungey: Yeah, a little bit of suspe... it's everything, you know, I mean, not everything, but you can do so many things with a bike to make right, and we have a great direction, like I said... (cont.) we've got the best in the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYNJ1JuqHrQ&feature=youtu.be

Post a reply to: Dungey's KTM

The Latest