Dungey ranked #4 All Time MX List

Forty
5/18/2018 11:56am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If I recall it was Dungey's corner speed that Roger was impressed with. Nothing to do with "the best cornering technique". [i]We can work with speed...
If I recall it was Dungey's corner speed that Roger was impressed with. Nothing to do with "the best cornering technique".

We can work with speed.
Fact checker...thanks.
5/18/2018 12:10pm
Forty wrote:
Didn't KTM hire Roger to help bring KTM MX and SX systems forward with some aggression and when asked who he thought would get KTM their...
Didn't KTM hire Roger to help bring KTM MX and SX systems forward with some aggression and when asked who he thought would get KTM their first SX win and then their first indoor and out door championship and help bring the brand to where it is today Roger tapped Dungey without hesitation?

Wasn't the KTM 450 at that time a complete toss out and redesign with Decoster and around Dungey from the ground up?
That's all very true, but I fail to see how any of that is relevant?
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
5/18/2018 12:16pm
Forty wrote:
Didn't KTM hire Roger to help bring KTM MX and SX systems forward with some aggression and when asked who he thought would get KTM their...
Didn't KTM hire Roger to help bring KTM MX and SX systems forward with some aggression and when asked who he thought would get KTM their first SX win and then their first indoor and out door championship and help bring the brand to where it is today Roger tapped Dungey without hesitation?

Wasn't the KTM 450 at that time a complete toss out and redesign with Decoster and around Dungey from the ground up?
Maybe the bike held Dungey back a little in 12 and 13?? I don't think its impossible that it could have slowed him down a little.

Maybe not, but look at 2011, once RV got on the 2012 KX 450 it seemed like he was doing better. Could have been a better bike for RV, but could have been something else too.
surfer22
5/18/2018 12:29pm
gabrielito wrote:
and if john didn't hurt his leg landing funny after overhead smashing the ball into joe's face, then john would have a couple more titles and...
and if john didn't hurt his leg landing funny after overhead smashing the ball into joe's face, then john would have a couple more titles and joe wouldn't be considered top 10. But other things happened.
JN137 wrote:
I about spit my breakfast burrito all over my screen reading that
same here lol

The Shop

mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
5/18/2018 12:31pm
gabrielito wrote:
He ended up with them because he wasn't playing against John. Had he played more matches against John he would have wound up with less wins.
mx 219 wrote:
If only Joe's equipment manager had kept his racket strung properly. Then Joe would have won a Major against John and they would have been even...
If only Joe's equipment manager had kept his racket strung properly. Then Joe would have won a Major against John and they would have been even at 1 a piece for Majors.
gabrielito wrote:
and if john didn't hurt his leg landing funny after overhead smashing the ball into joe's face, then john would have a couple more titles and...
and if john didn't hurt his leg landing funny after overhead smashing the ball into joe's face, then john would have a couple more titles and joe wouldn't be considered top 10. But other things happened.
See you brought SX into this. I kept SX out.

Try again.
Forty
5/18/2018 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 12:43pm
Dungeys story is better than Arvees. It has all the cool little variables that make his career followable, it's fuckin romantic with connections to the old days in Decoster and the rise of the KTM brand and the building a bike for a rider and the challenges Dungey stood up to in the beginning and producing a grocery list of Firsts along the way, and then he checks out on top healthy and rich. Not to mention the off track person he has become.

When KTM flew Dungeys ass to Austria and closed the door on a private room and promised to do whatever it took if Dungey would do the same they didn't ask him to beat Arvee, they asked him to win a SX championship on the bike they were going to build for him, he did it and a shit ton more, all with a cool demeanor and solid commitment.

His story is part of MX and SX history.

Davey Coombs is a part of AMA American MX history and digs that about Dungey and IMO those intangibles were involved in the decision to place Dungey in 4th.

Nothing against Arvee, his ability to carve around a outdoor track on the back wheel is magic, and his line selection toward the end of the 2nd moto is unmatched. A great champion, but not a great story.

5/18/2018 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 1:30pm
A lot of folks not giving RV credit for his 3 250 national titles....keep in mind these are not regional titles. He was a bad dude...
A lot of folks not giving RV credit for his 3 250 national titles....keep in mind these are not regional titles. He was a bad dude outdoors and never lost an outdoor title he competed in fully. I don't agree with Dunge being ahead of him but whatever, it's just some arbitrary list.

Also...Folks saying Dunge woulda won in 11 had he not had a mechanical....Chad actually woulda won had the Chadapult not happened. Playing Ifs and Buts is a dangerous game....
Comparing a crash to 2 mechanical problems with one resulting in 25 points lost is just dumb logic
Mit12
5/18/2018 1:31pm
slipdog wrote:
Championships trump race wins, just ask Eli
Is that why they ranked Dungey ahead of RV?
Dungey has more 450 championships and wins than RV.
5/18/2018 1:39pm
One stayed with the same bike his whole career

The other moved to a program that never won a premiere championship here and was underdeveloped

One guy won the premiere title his rookie year the other didn't

Head to head in 2011 Dungey had more wins

Dungey had 46 wins to RV's 27

I'd say what guys do in the premiere class outweighs whatever they do in the lites
5/18/2018 1:52pm
I'm telling you....if it doesn't matter how much a guy races or crashes out on the 450, just that he wins when he's there....then Js7 should be THE guy after RC. This RV stuff is bordering on hilarious. Two winning 450 seasons. Thats it. Barely beat Dunge in the first. Something like four wins the first time and eight or nine the second. Dungey has like triple the wins. Villo was faster. He had three in a row on the 250. Doesn't make him better overall.
newmann
5/18/2018 2:11pm
FTE Moto Photo

RV at speeeeeeeedddd.

Johnny Ringo
5/18/2018 2:37pm
A lot of folks not giving RV credit for his 3 250 national titles....keep in mind these are not regional titles. He was a bad dude...
A lot of folks not giving RV credit for his 3 250 national titles....keep in mind these are not regional titles. He was a bad dude outdoors and never lost an outdoor title he competed in fully. I don't agree with Dunge being ahead of him but whatever, it's just some arbitrary list.

Also...Folks saying Dunge woulda won in 11 had he not had a mechanical....Chad actually woulda won had the Chadapult not happened. Playing Ifs and Buts is a dangerous game....
Comparing a crash to 2 mechanical problems with one resulting in 25 points lost is just dumb logic
mmm Chad had two DNF's as well. Both resulting in 25 points lost.

See how this can spin out of control?
5/18/2018 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 2:56pm

mmm Chad had two DNF's as well. Both resulting in 25 points lost.

See how this can spin out of control?
What DNF's? If he had 2 he still lost the title by 96 points
Johnny Ringo
5/18/2018 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 3:07pm
Southwick. He went 35-35.

Chad was very obviously the best guy that summer. Go watch the races before Millville.

Like I said originally. You can’t count “ifs” it doesn’t work. Dunge choked at steel city and lost the title. Period.
motokawi818
5/18/2018 3:09pm
slipdog wrote:
Championships trump race wins, just ask Eli
Mit12 wrote:
RV has more than stew.
5/18/2018 3:59pm
Southwick. He went 35-35. Chad was very obviously the best guy that summer. Go watch the races before Millville. Like I said originally. You can’t count...

Chad was very obviously the best guy that summer. Go watch the races before Millville.

Like I said originally. You can’t count “ifs” it doesn’t work. Dunge choked at steel city and lost the title. Period.
Give him 50 points he still loses the title

You're not the best guy that summer if you lose by 96 points
5/18/2018 4:01pm
Mit12 wrote:
RV has more than stew.
And JS has 48 wins and an undefeated season to RV's 27 wins
daemon616
5/18/2018 4:48pm
It's a list made of people's opinions. The people that accomplished these feats couldn't care less about this list and you shouldn't either.
Phantom 661
5/18/2018 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 5:32pm
Not Joe's fault John quit. All the ifs and buts isn't going to change anything. In what world would 2-450 championships and 12 wins ever trump 3- 450 championships and 39 wins?! It's as simple as that.

This post was in response to gabrielito's last post above.
Johnny Ringo
5/18/2018 5:42pm
Southwick. He went 35-35. Chad was very obviously the best guy that summer. Go watch the races before Millville. Like I said originally. You can’t count...

Give him 50 points he still loses the title

You're not the best guy that summer if you lose by 96 points
Oh, I understand. You don’t watch the races. I’ll keep that in mind next time.
Phantom 661
5/18/2018 5:51pm
daemon616 wrote:
It's a list made of people's opinions. The people that accomplished these feats couldn't care less about this list and you shouldn't either.
The list is fully subjective? No objective criteria involved at all? You sure about that?
cbuehler767
5/18/2018 6:03pm
SwingHard wrote:
Spin it however you want. 5 outdoor titles is pretty impressive. I remember RV winning outdoor races by 30-40 seconds over Dungey! Des Nations is considered...
Spin it however you want. 5 outdoor titles is pretty impressive. I remember RV winning outdoor races by 30-40 seconds over Dungey! Des Nations is considered MX I think? RV is batting 1000. at the Des Nations! Plus, it didn't take anyone to retire for RV to dominate!
Better check your memory. We talking premier class? RV wasn't beating Dungey by 40sec
5/18/2018 6:28pm
Oh, I understand. You don’t watch the races. I’ll keep that in mind next time.
You're basically using a "what if" in your own theory. IF Chad Reed didn't crash at Millville and the "he was the best that summer." IF the series was 6 rounds that year Chad would of been champion and the best all summer. You're basically contradicting yourself at every turn.
gabrielito
5/18/2018 6:32pm
daemon616 wrote:
Vital in a nutshell.
SwingHard
5/18/2018 6:52pm
SwingHard wrote:
Spin it however you want. 5 outdoor titles is pretty impressive. I remember RV winning outdoor races by 30-40 seconds over Dungey! Des Nations is considered...
Spin it however you want. 5 outdoor titles is pretty impressive. I remember RV winning outdoor races by 30-40 seconds over Dungey! Des Nations is considered MX I think? RV is batting 1000. at the Des Nations! Plus, it didn't take anyone to retire for RV to dominate!
Better check your memory. We talking premier class? RV wasn't beating Dungey by 40sec
Go back and watch the 13' outdoors
loftyair
5/18/2018 7:54pm
Some of you are forming opinion of these two when racing against each other. Hannah was a great, but lost alot toward the end of his career. That doesn't mean those who beat him were better. Championships, then race wins, says who's better 'overall'. Look at Bradshaw, awesome to some, but not to others? Which side are you on?
sende
Fantasy
4320th
5/18/2018 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 9:36pm
gabrielito wrote:
Ryan Dungey is the Neutral Zone Trap of motocrosss.
MXD wrote:
Fantastic analogy. Sadly, only hockey fans will get it.
Yep. But, I agree. Fantastic analogy.
hamncheeze
5/18/2018 11:30pm
I love how the Dungey fans hang on the boiled fuel at Texas and the dead bike at Southwick in 2011. Bad luck. Just like RV tearing his knee up in 2012. If he’s on the gate that year Dungey loses about 7 overalls. Honestly, that 2012 season was so weak. Stew had Dungey covered until he Stewed. Then Dungey just cruised around and his closest competition was a virtual privateer in Alessi. Dungey padded his win total massively that season.

Like others have said, RV has 5 titles to Dungey’s 4 and Dungey never beat him in a series straight up. Seems like RV should be higher.
TDeath21
5/19/2018 12:26am
hamncheeze wrote:
I love how the Dungey fans hang on the boiled fuel at Texas and the dead bike at Southwick in 2011. Bad luck. Just like RV...
I love how the Dungey fans hang on the boiled fuel at Texas and the dead bike at Southwick in 2011. Bad luck. Just like RV tearing his knee up in 2012. If he’s on the gate that year Dungey loses about 7 overalls. Honestly, that 2012 season was so weak. Stew had Dungey covered until he Stewed. Then Dungey just cruised around and his closest competition was a virtual privateer in Alessi. Dungey padded his win total massively that season.

Like others have said, RV has 5 titles to Dungey’s 4 and Dungey never beat him in a series straight up. Seems like RV should be higher.
450 championships and wins are much much more prestigious and important.
make1go
5/19/2018 4:03am
daemon616 wrote:
id normally mock anyone in a thread who posts"but who gives a shit?"...so mock me...i agree, most lists like these are subjective to some degree.

head to head rv had the wood on dunga in wins, afaik
who scored the most points in head to head races would be interesting

its "content" and draws a crowd even me, so its done its job.

Post a reply to: Dungey ranked #4 All Time MX List

The Latest