Dungey possible return to SX on a honda?

Johnny Ringo
9/8/2020 8:00am
downard254 wrote:
Don’t be surprised if it’s not just that simple. Remember, his dad runs a successful concrete business, and trust me, I know it takes hard work...
Don’t be surprised if it’s not just that simple. Remember, his dad runs a successful concrete business, and trust me, I know it takes hard work to stay that way. You can’t grow up in that environment and not learn some basics of business 101. I’ll bet Dunge picked up on a lot of business basics and perhaps didn’t like the structure of the Geico/Honda business plan, at least not enough to dump a lot of his personal money into it.
Because concrete and moto business models are so similar
downard254 wrote:
No, because running a successful business, no matter the type, is so similar. I take it you never grew up in a family run business.
Incorrect, but I don’t pretend running a restaurant and a race team are the same thing
Johnny Ringo
9/8/2020 8:02am
Also, how is Gieco leaving amid a global pandemic being twisted as the team making poor financial decisions?
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
9/8/2020 8:07am
downard254 wrote:
No, because running a successful business, no matter the type, is so similar. I take it you never grew up in a family run business.
Incorrect, but I don’t pretend running a restaurant and a race team are the same thing
What if you owned a restaurant in an old Costco? And a new owner wanted to downsize into some thing that more accurately reflected the needs of the business?
Johnny Ringo
9/8/2020 8:09am
downard254 wrote:
MxKing809 wrote:
What if you owned a restaurant in an old Costco? And a new owner wanted to downsize into some thing that more accurately reflected the needs...
What if you owned a restaurant in an old Costco? And a new owner wanted to downsize into some thing that more accurately reflected the needs of the business?
So you know the ins and outs of why Dunge left Gieco then? He wanted to downsize the team?

The Shop

burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
9/8/2020 8:42am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2020 8:45am
Honda is so desperate they’re trying to recruit retirees.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
9/8/2020 8:53am
MxKing809 wrote:
What if you owned a restaurant in an old Costco? And a new owner wanted to downsize into some thing that more accurately reflected the needs...
So you know the ins and outs of why Dunge left Gieco then? He wanted to downsize the team?

H4L
9/8/2020 9:50am
bents wrote:
I STILL don't get why he wouldn't come back on a KTM, if this is his desire to do so. I mean what the hell?
It's possible he rode a 20 HRC 450 & feels it's a better bike than his last Factory KTM bike raced ?
Rooster
9/8/2020 2:27pm
I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities for Dungey to have questioned Geico's future with the team if he knew 9 months ago that they would have both a new (female) president and a new CEO (investment banker) coming on board before the contract was to be renewed.

It's not rocket surgery, especially if you have any experience in business. In advertising it's not uncommon to lose clients due to them changing direction under a new management team.

Honestly, what the whole scenario sounds like is just Dungey out trying to find sponsors to start a race team and also trying to source equipment for said team. I'm starting to think that him racing again is just somebody running off half-cocked with a nugget of truth and using that to spin off some wild speculation about him returning to racing.
bents
Fantasy
694th
9/8/2020 2:44pm
bents wrote:
I STILL don't get why he wouldn't come back on a KTM, if this is his desire to do so. I mean what the hell?
H4L wrote:
It's possible he rode a 20 HRC 450 & feels it's a better bike than his last Factory KTM bike raced ?
Sure, I guess so....it just seems like there doesn't seem to be a relationship at KTM-he never rode one much past retirement, he didn't seem to have a huge role after he packed it in-not that they owe him anything. Just seems so odd considering how close it seemed everyone was there. And now he is searching for sponsors to come back and race? I could just be the biggest knucklehead on Vital.....The whole vibe is just weird.
SBO
9/8/2020 6:50pm
with Fox in trouble, will he be in Pete Fox's new adventure "Renen". That would be interesting if they build that around him.
soulberg3
9/14/2020 12:56pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Question: What number will he run?

142, 105, or 111?
I believe they will let him use number 5 as a past champion and no one uses the 5
You think it’ll be there by next season if Ferrandis wins outdoors?
PTshox
9/14/2020 1:21pm
SBO wrote:
with Fox in trouble, will he be in Pete Fox's new adventure "Renen". That would be interesting if they build that around him.
Well... the gentleman that said running a business is a skill transferable to other businesses... He's right in my opinion. Business is business. Are the specifics to a given business that need to be learned for specific markets/products/ services? Heck yes. But the point is most of the skills are transferable to almost any business.

Now, I have not heard "fox in trouble". Clearly there was a buyout of most of the family's share of the company several years ago. I suspect the father wanted some $ from the business to enjoy his life. Now, what happens when a company is purchased (the majority) the control is lost and the bean counters show up. Especially true when who purchased that company is a private equity company (Altamont Capital). Typically the bean counters totally screw up a company up... and a private equity company is full of bean counters looking to "SQUEEZE" the $ out of company operations. They forget - or don't know how to - focus on cool products that the customers like. Both have to be looked at... They just look at the numbers. I suspect Pete Fox, who looks like a product focused guy to me, didn't like what he was seeing. So, the product starts to suffer.... quality goes down to make a buck for the bean counters. There is a video on the Dirt Bike Channel you can see on Youtube talking about his experience with quality on the Fox products.

Now, Pete will most likely focus on higher end products in the segment. And he has rider and agent contacts to get that product exposed quickly. He's also got distribution and mfg contacts. So, will be interesting to see what he does.
I suspect the quality will be high.
Denn700
9/18/2020 7:15am
I have no knowledge of anything that goes on at Fox but I read on another site that Fox was moving it’s company and 800 employees to Georgia because of the shut down and California taxes, politics etc. I don’t know if Fox even has 800 employees or if there is any truth to this. It was a non moto site.
rongi#401
9/18/2020 11:05am
Spudnut wrote:
I mean getting hit by lightning is also a very real possibility.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
My uncle got hit twice by lightning on separate occasions.
I’ll bet he was also outside in a thunderstorm on both occasions..?
SEE ARE125
9/18/2020 11:27am
Spudnut wrote:
I mean getting hit by lightning is also a very real possibility.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
My uncle got hit twice by lightning on separate occasions.
rongi#401 wrote:
I’ll bet he was also outside in a thunderstorm on both occasions..?
Be careful out on that limb.
9/18/2020 11:32am
Absolutely I see Dungey come back on his new Honda and race DeCoster on his KTM. Blink
SwapperMX
9/18/2020 11:45am
I'm wondering why so many people doubt this could potentially happen. For everyone that's been there, you would know that late 20's and early 30's is your absolute peak of what your body is capable of strength and conditioning wise, and you're old enough to truly understand your body and know what it needs and can handle when it comes to recovery and training. Plus a couple of years out of the sport and your body is going to be fully recovered from all those small nagging injuries that never seem to heal. And on top of that after a couple of years out, the fire could be back. I can totally see how these guys get burnt out early on and retire. If it was all you'd ever done since you were little and been grinding every year you might think you were done at 25 with a bunch of titles under the belt. The fire could easily be back. I'd love to see Dunge race again and hope this comes to fruition.
brocster
9/18/2020 12:01pm
downard254 wrote:
They teach business management in college not concrete business management, Moto business management, ass grabbing business management. Etc. so yes, running a race team and an restaurant are basically the same when you take away the actual hardware.
9/18/2020 12:04pm
SwapperMX wrote:
I'm wondering why so many people doubt this could potentially happen. For everyone that's been there, you would know that late 20's and early 30's is...
I'm wondering why so many people doubt this could potentially happen. For everyone that's been there, you would know that late 20's and early 30's is your absolute peak of what your body is capable of strength and conditioning wise, and you're old enough to truly understand your body and know what it needs and can handle when it comes to recovery and training. Plus a couple of years out of the sport and your body is going to be fully recovered from all those small nagging injuries that never seem to heal. And on top of that after a couple of years out, the fire could be back. I can totally see how these guys get burnt out early on and retire. If it was all you'd ever done since you were little and been grinding every year you might think you were done at 25 with a bunch of titles under the belt. The fire could easily be back. I'd love to see Dunge race again and hope this comes to fruition.
Good point. There are older top guys, Reed, Cairoli I think Osborne is now 30.(?) The only difference is that they continued to race. For someone that has been distanced for 4 years I think it is possible but they would have to engage in the training/ competitive mindset they once had. It would be interesting.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
9/18/2020 12:17pm
From Racer X:

THE DUNGEY RUMORS: For a few months, we’d heard some snippets that seven-time AMA premier class champion Ryan Dungey was mulling a comeback for 2021, and possibly on a Honda. It was too early to tell how serious this rumor was, or if it was gaining any traction. Then, over the RedBud racing weekend, our Steve Matthes heard from multiple sources that Dungey’s comeback could be a go.

As we had heard it, the comeback could tip on Dungey finding the right funding to go racing.

Dungey would not be signed by Team Honda HRC proper, but would instead run his own effort and lease a works CRF450R from the factory team. He would have to find the sponsorship dollars to pull that off. As the GEICO example shows above, sponsor dollars are never a certain thing.

Lately, we’ve heard everything from Dungey’s prospects of getting a sponsor are looking better, to there’s no deal coming and it’s not happening. You can file this one under exploring options, but not even close to a done deal.
Brent
9/18/2020 12:33pm
No pro rider that has been retired for three seasons has ever come back at the same level as far as I know. Has any rider who has won as many championships as he did EVER come back? I can't think of any.

Remember when Villopoto retired and then came back the next year to crash his brains out at monster cup? I'm not sure that once you stop performing at the highest level, that you can just get it back again...

SteezGeez
Fantasy
426th
9/18/2020 12:38pm
Denn700 wrote:
I have no knowledge of anything that goes on at Fox but I read on another site that Fox was moving it’s company and 800 employees...
I have no knowledge of anything that goes on at Fox but I read on another site that Fox was moving it’s company and 800 employees to Georgia because of the shut down and California taxes, politics etc. I don’t know if Fox even has 800 employees or if there is any truth to this. It was a non moto site.
That would be Fox the shock company. MTB and shocks for other uses. Fox Head Apparel is a moto brand and different.
Raikzz
9/18/2020 12:38pm
Brent wrote:
No pro rider that has been retired for three seasons has ever come back at the same level as far as I know. Has any rider...
No pro rider that has been retired for three seasons has ever come back at the same level as far as I know. Has any rider who has won as many championships as he did EVER come back? I can't think of any.

Remember when Villopoto retired and then came back the next year to crash his brains out at monster cup? I'm not sure that once you stop performing at the highest level, that you can just get it back again...

I don't remember Villopoto crashing......
Johnny Ringo
9/18/2020 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2020 12:45pm
downard254 wrote:
brocster wrote:
They teach business management in college not concrete business management, Moto business management, ass grabbing business management. Etc. so yes, running a race team and an...
They teach business management in college not concrete business management, Moto business management, ass grabbing business management. Etc. so yes, running a race team and an restaurant are basically the same when you take away the actual hardware.
Well, fuck. Guess I’m starting a race team. How hard can it be if Dunge can do it without a degree?

Accepting sponsors now. Ringo Racing. All inquiries meet under the big oak
Louie112
9/18/2020 1:12pm
Brent wrote:
No pro rider that has been retired for three seasons has ever come back at the same level as far as I know. Has any rider...

I don't understand why people commonly use someone crashing at one race as an argument. There are people that crash their brains out that race every weekend...
Alex814
9/19/2020 9:31pm
Brent wrote:

McGrath came back.

Nope, don't remember that one. Are you suggesting that Villopoto raced MEC in 2016?

Post a reply to: Dungey possible return to SX on a honda?

The Latest