Dungey done with Geico Honda

aees
2/28/2020 11:49am
OldPro277 wrote:
Are you 100% confident that Dungey's contract didn't have an "escape" or "opt out" clause ??
aees wrote:
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible. They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if...
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible.

They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if it did allow sudden exits. Do you think this looks good for any of the sponsors, teams, riders, share holders, that a world class athlete dumps them after a few weeks?

There is likely in time and effort during due diligence a few 100k invested. Lawyers and accountants, possible PE firm to broker and arrange valuations, agreements, PR, promotion videos, bikes, parts etc.

You don't put everyone through this, with the bad optics is provides, unless there is caused to believe contractual breach in one end or another.
Momus wrote:
Mate, nobody but you gives two hoots about this. Next you will have the Illuminati factored in. Dungey's accountant found a tax liability or the lawyer...
Mate, nobody but you gives two hoots about this. Next you will have the Illuminati factored in.

Dungey's accountant found a tax liability or the lawyer found a glitch so Ryan pulled the plug.

Simple explanations are the most likely.

His brand was already pretty dubious in my book. He let his many fans, KTM etc and the sport down big time by retiring years early.
And the two things you mentioned, does not constitute contractual breach (or disclosure) then as I stated? 😂
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
2/28/2020 12:23pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Are you 100% confident that Dungey's contract didn't have an "escape" or "opt out" clause ??
aees wrote:
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible. They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if...
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible.

They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if it did allow sudden exits. Do you think this looks good for any of the sponsors, teams, riders, share holders, that a world class athlete dumps them after a few weeks?

There is likely in time and effort during due diligence a few 100k invested. Lawyers and accountants, possible PE firm to broker and arrange valuations, agreements, PR, promotion videos, bikes, parts etc.

You don't put everyone through this, with the bad optics is provides, unless there is caused to believe contractual breach in one end or another.
Momus wrote:
Mate, nobody but you gives two hoots about this. Next you will have the Illuminati factored in. Dungey's accountant found a tax liability or the lawyer...
Mate, nobody but you gives two hoots about this. Next you will have the Illuminati factored in.

Dungey's accountant found a tax liability or the lawyer found a glitch so Ryan pulled the plug.

Simple explanations are the most likely.

His brand was already pretty dubious in my book. He let his many fans, KTM etc and the sport down big time by retiring years early.
He raced for roughly 10 years and was over it/didn't want to get seriously hurt. He could have raced a few more years, but most don't. Look at RV and RC they also were both around 10 years.
2/28/2020 4:28pm
aees wrote:
When doing investments of this kind, there are commitments involved and contracts signed (incl share holder agreements). You typically just don't pull out because "you did...
When doing investments of this kind, there are commitments involved and contracts signed (incl share holder agreements). You typically just don't pull out because "you did not like it".
Specially not without a cost.

The due diligence going into the investment also costs a bit and time invested for everyone to pull a deal through (meetings with Geico for example getting their blessing).
And for Honda, the owners and team it is not positive an investor and front figure pull out that quick.

Ryan just pulling out because he changed his mind will also hurt him and his brand. Who wants to go into cooperations, investments, partnerships with a guy that can pull out next week? Makes RD unfortunately look like an amateur in that context.

It is not like buying a TV and trying out, to then return it the next day and get your money back because you did not like it...
OldPro277 wrote:
aees wrote:

We don’t even know if he invested a single cent. He could have been brought on as a big name to try to drum up additional sponsorship money. Maybe he couldn’t do as they had hoped so they didn’t want t give him the equity, maybe there was a 6 month clause providing an out if he didn’t grow the operation. Fact of the matter is we don’t know and we’re all just guessing.
Tuna
2/28/2020 5:22pm
OldPro277 wrote:
aees wrote:

We don’t even know if he invested a single cent. He could have been brought on as a big name to try to drum up additional...
We don’t even know if he invested a single cent. He could have been brought on as a big name to try to drum up additional sponsorship money. Maybe he couldn’t do as they had hoped so they didn’t want t give him the equity, maybe there was a 6 month clause providing an out if he didn’t grow the operation. Fact of the matter is we don’t know and we’re all just guessing.
DONE-GY (MATTHES)

Before I get into this much further, I would just like to wish Kellen here at Racer X a very happy Jefferey Herlings day! New contract for the Bullet and a series kick off as well!

As I wrote about for MX Vice, Ryan Dungey leaving GEICO just months into buying into the team as a part-owner is a head scratcher for sure. Even more so when you see that Dungey went and deleted all mentions of GEICO Honda (other than the announcement that they were parting ways) off his Instagram. People I spoke to say that most of the reason why was the time commitments to the team were a bit more than he wanted but that also he was the one making those commitments. No one on the team was asking him to be so deeply involved with the riders and the team. As my source told me, “Ryan’s all in or he’s all out” so he couldn't just be in halfway. His financial interest in the team never got officially finished either so he’s 100 percent out of the deal now. I know from other people that he was a bit frustrated in dealing with some of the things that couldn’t happen right away, some of it due to riders, parents, agents, etc. When you’re solely in charge of your career like Ryan was for so long, maybe some decisions that you have to wait on or can’t be done the way you’d like might be frustrating for you. But, mostly, I've heard he was committing more time to the project than he originally expected. Whatever the reason is, Ryan Dungey’s out at GEICO Honda and so save those photos of him on a Honda, they’re collectors items now!

The Shop

aeffertz
2/28/2020 5:40pm
Tuna wrote:
DONE-GY (MATTHES) Before I get into this much further, I would just like to wish Kellen here at Racer X a very happy Jefferey Herlings day...
DONE-GY (MATTHES)

Before I get into this much further, I would just like to wish Kellen here at Racer X a very happy Jefferey Herlings day! New contract for the Bullet and a series kick off as well!

As I wrote about for MX Vice, Ryan Dungey leaving GEICO just months into buying into the team as a part-owner is a head scratcher for sure. Even more so when you see that Dungey went and deleted all mentions of GEICO Honda (other than the announcement that they were parting ways) off his Instagram. People I spoke to say that most of the reason why was the time commitments to the team were a bit more than he wanted but that also he was the one making those commitments. No one on the team was asking him to be so deeply involved with the riders and the team. As my source told me, “Ryan’s all in or he’s all out” so he couldn't just be in halfway. His financial interest in the team never got officially finished either so he’s 100 percent out of the deal now. I know from other people that he was a bit frustrated in dealing with some of the things that couldn’t happen right away, some of it due to riders, parents, agents, etc. When you’re solely in charge of your career like Ryan was for so long, maybe some decisions that you have to wait on or can’t be done the way you’d like might be frustrating for you. But, mostly, I've heard he was committing more time to the project than he originally expected. Whatever the reason is, Ryan Dungey’s out at GEICO Honda and so save those photos of him on a Honda, they’re collectors items now!
Hang on... this rings true to what Ryan publicly stated and makes logical sense.... There aren’t 5 legal loop holes exploited and he’s not calling Ryan a liar and his statement a pile of bullshit...

It’s time to double up my tin foil hat, they’re still getting through to me!!!!
Racer111
2/28/2020 5:58pm
This whole “Non-compete” thing is a joke. If KTM was going to flex THAT muscle, they would have done it from the get go. Not 5 months later. Who are the idiots that come up with this shit??
aees
2/28/2020 6:27pm
OldPro277 wrote:
aees wrote:

We don’t even know if he invested a single cent. He could have been brought on as a big name to try to drum up additional...
He did invest, yes.
Racer111
2/28/2020 6:36pm
aees wrote:

aees wrote:
He did invest, yes.
Not according to Mathes post. It was never finalized.
aees
2/28/2020 6:39pm
Racer111 wrote:
This whole “Non-compete” thing is a joke. If KTM was going to flex THAT muscle, they would have done it from the get go. Not 5...
This whole “Non-compete” thing is a joke. If KTM was going to flex THAT muscle, they would have done it from the get go. Not 5 months later. Who are the idiots that come up with this shit??
It is all speculation, and as mentioned, it looks like a shit show pulling out a few months into an investment because you feel it was not your thing. That is poor due diligence work Then also deleting all pics like you are trying to delete history, when you dont have to.

You piss of the team, sponsors, share holders.

If it is true, he just brought down his name pretty heavily for future similar equity based opportunities, that goes quiet strongly towards RD as a stand up guy, hence the speculation.

Fully understand if you in your world feel it is normal behavior to act as RD did.
aees
2/28/2020 6:53pm
aees wrote:
He did invest, yes.
Racer111 wrote:
Not according to Mathes post. It was never finalized.
If that is true, it is a shit show how it was constructed and RD acted.

They have stated RD had done the investment and became share holder.

It is very normal to have a transaction date in the future (for people to get time to release funds), but, that is just a technical detail and typically have no real meaning to the actual deal.

You only deviate from that if, again, there is a breach of contract or a failure to disclose critical items. Pulling out, not following through, is subject for financial damage. I mentioned above there is quiet some time and capital going into a deal like this, from all parties and that is now wasted, In addition to for example Geico's name getting dragged in the "dirt".

I'm just telling you how it normally works. If this was a commercial, normal, investment based transaction with standard T&C, RD would be subject for penalty for pulling out like that. I also said, if you want to pull out, the liability you sit on typically is substantial and you then look to see if there is contractual breach (for example failure to disclose) to lean on as exit strategy.

No matter what, it is a shit show looking in from the outside.
Moto Norcal
2/28/2020 7:41pm
Maybe some of those who can't understand why JS7's and Dungey's actions seem so weird have never been first-time parents! It changes everything and will leave your head spinning a lot of the time.
zippytech
2/29/2020 4:46am
Some of you act like cause Dungey is a nice guy and won championships that he would automatically be a great business person. The guy spent most of his entire life on dirt bikes. Not studying business.
aees
2/29/2020 4:50am
zippytech wrote:
Some of you act like cause Dungey is a nice guy and won championships that he would automatically be a great business person. The guy spent...
Some of you act like cause Dungey is a nice guy and won championships that he would automatically be a great business person. The guy spent most of his entire life on dirt bikes. Not studying business.
You don't have to be a great business man, you just have to avoid being a complete imbecile as this would mean.
2/29/2020 5:33am
Maybe KTM wants him over at Gas Gas
Brent
2/29/2020 11:07am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2020 11:08am
...Lets just go with the theory that KTM sent him in as a spy.

It's the most ridiculous conspiracy theory out there, but the most fun to talk about!

Tongue
Brent
2/29/2020 11:27am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2020 11:33am
aees wrote:
It is all speculation, and as mentioned, it looks like a shit show pulling out a few months into an investment because you feel it was...
It is all speculation, and as mentioned, it looks like a shit show pulling out a few months into an investment because you feel it was not your thing. That is poor due diligence work Then also deleting all pics like you are trying to delete history, when you dont have to.

If it is true, he just brought down his name pretty heavily for future similar equity based opportunities, that goes quiet strongly towards RD as a stand up guy, hence the speculation.

Fully understand if you in your world feel it is normal behavior to act as RD did.
Investing in a dirt bike race team is probably financially worthless to someone like Dungey, who maybe earned around 10 million in his career. If someone counts on owning a race team to supplement their retirement investment income, then they have the worst money advisors in the world.

I'd guess that Dungey don't give a F**K about "future similar equity based opportunities" with an MX team.

These teams don't earn enough to justify the investment strictly for profits' sake - go ask Genova or the Butlers or Bobby Regan if they are significantly richer because of net income from their race team.

Ryan could probably earn more money recycling aluminium cans than he could owning part of a race team. This Geico part-owner thing was probably just a hobby in the first place...
High_bend
2/29/2020 11:27am
It’s always money.
Flatliner
2/29/2020 11:40am
aees wrote:
It is all speculation, and as mentioned, it looks like a shit show pulling out a few months into an investment because you feel it was...

Brent wrote:
Investing in a dirt bike race team is probably financially worthless to someone like Dungey, who maybe earned around 10 million in his career. If someone...
Investing in a dirt bike race team is probably financially worthless to someone like Dungey, who maybe earned around 10 million in his career. If someone counts on owning a race team to supplement their retirement investment income, then they have the worst money advisors in the world.

I'd guess that Dungey don't give a F**K about "future similar equity based opportunities" with an MX team.

These teams don't earn enough to justify the investment strictly for profits' sake - go ask Genova or the Butlers or Bobby Regan if they are significantly richer because of net income from their race team.

Ryan could probably earn more money recycling aluminium cans than he could owning part of a race team. This Geico part-owner thing was probably just a hobby in the first place...
Dude, I’d say 10 mil for his whole career is on the very very low end.

The Championship bonuses alone....
Tuna
2/29/2020 12:12pm
aees wrote:

Brent wrote:
Investing in a dirt bike race team is probably financially worthless to someone like Dungey, who maybe earned around 10 million in his career. If someone...

You are so low on your estimate.
Ted722
2/29/2020 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/29/2020 12:16pm
Brent wrote:
...Lets just go with the theory that KTM sent him in as a spy. It's the most ridiculous conspiracy theory out there, but the most fun...
...Lets just go with the theory that KTM sent him in as a spy.

It's the most ridiculous conspiracy theory out there, but the most fun to talk about!

Tongue
Well, let's just hope he doesn't come back with "intelligence" to kill the 2-stroke line. Evil
aees
2/29/2020 1:18pm
aees wrote:

Brent wrote:

Who said anything about investing in other MX teams? Pulling out because you did not feel it was your thing points to that you are poor at due diligence, and that lowers his value in for example Intense and anything else he wants to enter into.

If I where Intense, having RD onboard just got a lot less value.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/29/2020 1:19pm
aees wrote:

Brent wrote:

aees wrote:
Who said anything about investing in other MX teams? Pulling out because you did not feel it was your thing points to that you are poor...
Who said anything about investing in other MX teams? Pulling out because you did not feel it was your thing points to that you are poor at due diligence, and that lowers his value in for example Intense and anything else he wants to enter into.

Dude, move on...
Drtbykr
2/29/2020 1:41pm
This story needs some real journalism, not speculation. He’s kind of a big deal in the Mx world.
2/29/2020 1:42pm
aees wrote:

I think you are reading too much into this whole scenario. Dungey actually did the right thing by being honest with himself and Team Geico by saying that it was taking more time than he thought, and that he felt he would not be able to give 100%. In the long run, it would have been worse for both parties had Dungey stayed, if Dungey felt that he could not give it his all. He should be commended for being honest about it.
aees
2/29/2020 1:43pm
Brent wrote:

aees wrote:
Who said anything about investing in other MX teams? Pulling out because you did not feel it was your thing points to that you are poor...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Dude, move on...
No worries, I dont expect this forum to have an understanding of what real life is about 😄
kiwifan
2/29/2020 1:46pm
aees wrote:

I think you are reading too much into this whole scenario. Dungey actually did the right thing by being honest with himself and Team Geico by...
I think you are reading too much into this whole scenario. Dungey actually did the right thing by being honest with himself and Team Geico by saying that it was taking more time than he thought, and that he felt he would not be able to give 100%. In the long run, it would have been worse for both parties had Dungey stayed, if Dungey felt that he could not give it his all. He should be commended for being honest about it.
I agree 100%, I like to give Ryan the benefit of doubt
crowe176
2/29/2020 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/29/2020 2:00pm
To be fair, this thread has been a hair more interesting than Reed not signing some hand jobs number plate.

FWIW, I hope The Dung sticks around in some form if not now, at some point. Being Decosters understudy his entire career is worth it’s own weight in gold to someone.

5 minutes till they line up!! Pin it
davistld01
2/29/2020 2:31pm
crowe176 wrote:
To be fair, this thread has been a hair more interesting than Reed not signing some hand jobs number plate. FWIW, I hope The Dung sticks...
To be fair, this thread has been a hair more interesting than Reed not signing some hand jobs number plate.

FWIW, I hope The Dung sticks around in some form if not now, at some point. Being Decosters understudy his entire career is worth it’s own weight in gold to someone.

5 minutes till they line up!! Pin it
You know...I hope he does go to KTM/GasGas or whatever. Dungey is a class act, and a lot of people criticized him about being "Mr. Nice Guy" as if it was a bad thing. It seems like the DeCoster/Dungey combo brought a whole new level of classiness to the business of racing...and KTM has pretty much kept it's reputation of being the top professional OEM in the sport...and they have kept it classy all the way. If Dungey did go back to KTM in some level of management, it could only be a good thing.
Ted722
2/29/2020 2:31pm
Drtbykr wrote:
This story needs some real journalism, not speculation. He’s kind of a big deal in the Mx world.
Yep. A mostly tongue-in-cheek thread on VitalMX is not enough. Sport’s lacking truth too much, sometimes, to take it seriously.

That falls on Dungey too. And I’m a huge Dungey fan...named my dog after him!

Post a reply to: Dungey done with Geico Honda

The Latest