Dungey done with Geico Honda

JeremyK
2/27/2020 6:03pm
Why would anyone think KTM is pissed ? They posted a respectful farewell and best of luck on instagram i think it was .
ProKawi24
2/27/2020 7:07pm
Wait for the JS7 twist to the Geico plot and watch Vital implode!
JS7 has suddenly been getting back involved and now Dungey suddenly leaves Geico management. Chad Reed is in his final year...

All I'm saying is we're 1 cryptic RV tweet/post away from a full on final farewell tour from them all! Hell even KISS is in their 3rd final farewell tour....the stars are aligning.
zippytech
2/27/2020 10:47pm
Deleting photos of him on the Honda don't make the photo's just go away.
2/28/2020 4:20am
level wrote:
I said pretty much exactly what you said and I got all down votes and you got all up votes. Makes no sense. People are assholes...
I said pretty much exactly what you said and I got all down votes and you got all up votes. Makes no sense. People are assholes on here sometimes. I hate this down vote and up vote feature. It’s very passive aggressive. Smile
Hey, Level, grow up.

You're welcome.

The Shop

reded
2/28/2020 4:27am
level wrote:
I said pretty much exactly what you said and I got all down votes and you got all up votes. Makes no sense. People are assholes...
I said pretty much exactly what you said and I got all down votes and you got all up votes. Makes no sense. People are assholes on here sometimes. I hate this down vote and up vote feature. It’s very passive aggressive. Smile
Hey, Level, grow up.

You're welcome.
I’m pretty sure he’s a 15yr old girl at this point.
aees
2/28/2020 5:37am
The way this develops, deleting old posts I would not be surprised KTM has called up on a non-compete clause in his contract with KTM.

Ktm was very pissed off with him leaving, despite the official "thank you for the years".

With Ryan's heavy involvement, maybe more than expected, I think they finally chose to activate that clause.

It could also be a breach of contract from Honda's side meaning lack of exposing certain things during the due diligence Honda went under from RD and his team that made RD pull his investment.

If it was feelings and situational/social reason, they would have chosen a soft and quiet exit over a longer time.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
2/28/2020 5:39am
motogrady wrote:
Who said they were pissed? His contract was up.
Said he was retiring. Why would they be pissed?
stremme12 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dungey himself said that KTM wasn't very happy about him leaving that role.
KTM also didn't give him the position he wanted.
Just curious what position did Dungey want that they wouldn't give him? It sounded like Dungey was going to get molded into a Manager role eventually if he stayed.
H4L
2/28/2020 5:51am
aees wrote:
The way this develops, deleting old posts I would not be surprised KTM has called up on a non-compete clause in his contract with KTM. Ktm...
The way this develops, deleting old posts I would not be surprised KTM has called up on a non-compete clause in his contract with KTM.

Ktm was very pissed off with him leaving, despite the official "thank you for the years".

With Ryan's heavy involvement, maybe more than expected, I think they finally chose to activate that clause.

It could also be a breach of contract from Honda's side meaning lack of exposing certain things during the due diligence Honda went under from RD and his team that made RD pull his investment.

If it was feelings and situational/social reason, they would have chosen a soft and quiet exit over a longer time.
I was thinking something along these lines. Another member Titan Posted a non-compete clause as well. This is a likely scenario that could’ve happened since RD doesn’t seem like a guy that would just quit on something. Time will tell..
theesloth
2/28/2020 6:11am
I do think that all of the comments saying that "I don't think RD would just quit like that" are funny
Didn't he quit/retire early after his Supercross championship? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure KTM wanted him to race Motocross and complete the race season that was in his contract.
crowe176
2/28/2020 6:12am
aees wrote:
The way this develops, deleting old posts I would not be surprised KTM has called up on a non-compete clause in his contract with KTM. Ktm...

Exactly what I was thinking. I’m guessing, if RD doesnt show up with some sort of KTM program in the next year, it would be safe to assume KTM flexed.

It’s hard to believe RD would join Geico if he signed something that would possibly put him in that position, unless he’s either a bone head or was confident KTM wouldn’t enforce it.

I wouldn’t blame KTM if it’s the case though.

Who knows.. Kind of a shit show
aees
2/28/2020 6:38am
aees wrote:

crowe176 wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. I’m guessing, if RD doesnt show up with some sort of KTM program in the next year, it would be safe...
Exactly what I was thinking. I’m guessing, if RD doesnt show up with some sort of KTM program in the next year, it would be safe to assume KTM flexed.

It’s hard to believe RD would join Geico if he signed something that would possibly put him in that position, unless he’s either a bone head or was confident KTM wouldn’t enforce it.

I think KTM maybe had no problem with him being semi passive owner of Geico, I think they got a problem when RD started to show up on races and being more active than what was planned. Helping Honda build the brand became an issue.

According to contract the first scenario might have been legally fine, but the second not.

If it is not a contract non-compete situation. Ktm has a lot to win by going out and saying "hey, we did not pull a non-compete" since if they did it might, for some, look a bit defensive and not so modern. Could cost them some brand cred.

I have no problem with if they did, KTM invested a lot in building up RD brand and non-compete is then covered by the pay check RD got out of it.
aees
2/28/2020 7:20am
2 years is standard, 5y could be. In that scenario KTM would have to pay him, or it has already been paid as an exit package.

More reasonable, is that KTM had "first right of refusal" on the role this developed to.

Just speculating:
Ktm offered and wanted dungey to be more involved (we know this), dungey said no. He persue another track that meant less work and passive role. That is fine since first right of refusal bis for the role of being passive owner and a little bit involved (ktm did not want to, or could not offer that).

But, when the role at Honda in fact developed to what KTM offered Dungey and wanted him to do, first right of refusal kicks in.

That could be why it took some time before ktm saw how the role developed.

The other likely scenario as I wrote, could be breach of contract from Hondas side. They did not come to disclose vital information during due diligence, and that would reverse the complete deal.
Momus
2/28/2020 7:43am
aees wrote:
2 years is standard, 5y could be. In that scenario KTM would have to pay him, or it has already been paid as an exit package...
2 years is standard, 5y could be. In that scenario KTM would have to pay him, or it has already been paid as an exit package.

More reasonable, is that KTM had "first right of refusal" on the role this developed to.

Just speculating:
Ktm offered and wanted dungey to be more involved (we know this), dungey said no. He persue another track that meant less work and passive role. That is fine since first right of refusal bis for the role of being passive owner and a little bit involved (ktm did not want to, or could not offer that).

But, when the role at Honda in fact developed to what KTM offered Dungey and wanted him to do, first right of refusal kicks in.

The other likely scenario as I wrote, could be breach of contract from Hondas side. They did not come to disclose vital information during due diligence, and that would reverse the complete deal.
Tin foil hat stuff.

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is the most parsimonious.

He trialled Geico and it didn't gel.
aees
2/28/2020 8:32am
aees wrote:
2 years is standard, 5y could be. In that scenario KTM would have to pay him, or it has already been paid as an exit package...

Just speculating:

Momus wrote:
Tin foil hat stuff.

When doing investments of this kind, there are commitments involved and contracts signed (incl share holder agreements). You typically just don't pull out because "you did not like it".
Specially not without a cost.

The due diligence going into the investment also costs a bit and time invested for everyone to pull a deal through (meetings with Geico for example getting their blessing).
And for Honda, the owners and team it is not positive an investor and front figure pull out that quick.

Ryan just pulling out because he changed his mind will also hurt him and his brand. Who wants to go into cooperations, investments, partnerships with a guy that can pull out next week? Makes RD unfortunately look like an amateur in that context.

It is not like buying a TV and trying out, to then return it the next day and get your money back because you did not like it...
davistld01
2/28/2020 8:41am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 8:51am
aees wrote:

Just speculating:

Momus wrote:
Tin foil hat stuff.

Momus...

You do realize, this is Vital? We don't tolerate that "logical, sensible & perhaps factual" stuff around here!
husky125
2/28/2020 9:36am
There are lots of speculations in this thread and I agree something does seem odd that Ryan would delete all the Geico pics from his Instagram. Doesn't his brother Jade spin wrenches for Sexton?
aees
2/28/2020 9:44am
husky125 wrote:
There are lots of speculations in this thread and I agree something does seem odd that Ryan would delete all the Geico pics from his Instagram...
There are lots of speculations in this thread and I agree something does seem odd that Ryan would delete all the Geico pics from his Instagram. Doesn't his brother Jade spin wrenches for Sexton?
You don't delete that kind of posts unless you are conditionally obligated to do so, or possibly afraid it could lead to legal actions.

If it was RD choice, you leave it and just accept it is part of your life story since everybody already know it has happened.

RD has always been a stand up guy, doing the right thing.

Now suddenly he dumps a team, break up a contract and partnerships, pulls out as an investor, goes and delete old social media posts and removes all videos, will all negativity it that comes with that?

Absolutely sound like something he would do voluntary...
Momus
2/28/2020 9:57am
aees wrote:

Just speculating:

Momus wrote:
Tin foil hat stuff.

aees wrote:
When doing investments of this kind, there are commitments involved and contracts signed (incl share holder agreements). You typically just don't pull out because "you did...
When doing investments of this kind, there are commitments involved and contracts signed (incl share holder agreements). You typically just don't pull out because "you did not like it".

The due diligence going into the investment also costs a bit and time invested for everyone to pull a deal through (meetings with Geico for example getting their blessing).
And for Honda, the owners and team it is not positive an investor and front figure pull out that quick.

Ryan just pulling out because he changed his mind will also hurt him and his brand. Who wants to go into cooperations, investments, partnerships with a guy that can pull out next week? Makes RD unfortunately look like an amateur in that context.

It is not like buying a TV and trying out, to then return it the next day and get your money back because you did not like it...
Normal practise when contemplating buying into a business is to arrange a trial for a period of time and to have your accountant and lawyer look at the books and contract.

If you don't like it for whatever reason after doing your due diligence you can get out without obligation.

I think this fits in well with the time frame for that process.

Simple.
agn5009
2/28/2020 10:05am
aees wrote:

crowe176 wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. I’m guessing, if RD doesnt show up with some sort of KTM program in the next year, it would be safe...

You have no idea whether it's a shit show or not. You're assuming.
crowe176
2/28/2020 10:08am
aees wrote:

crowe176 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
I know, you’re right. .. This thread is the shit show is what it should say.
OldPro277
2/28/2020 10:09am
aees wrote:
When doing investments of this kind, there are commitments involved and contracts signed (incl share holder agreements). You typically just don't pull out because "you did...

Are you 100% confident that Dungey's contract didn't have an "escape" or "opt out" clause ??
aees
2/28/2020 10:26am
Momus wrote:
Tin foil hat stuff.

aees wrote:

Momus wrote:
Normal practise when contemplating buying into a business is to arrange a trial for a period of time and to have your accountant and lawyer look...
Normal practise when contemplating buying into a business is to arrange a trial for a period of time and to have your accountant and lawyer look at the books and contract.

If you don't like it for whatever reason after doing your due diligence you can get out without obligation.

I think this fits in well with the time frame for that process.

Simple.
Due diligence happens BEFORE you enter contract. After you have entered, you can typically only pull out without liquid damage if something non disclosed appears.

This is grown ups world. Not Walmart where you buy and try, then leave stuff back if you did not feel like it was your thing.

What do you think Geico thinks about running a serious line of promotion for a world class athlete, that after a month pulls out because it was "not his thing"?

In a professional world, this is not viewed lightly. Who wants to invest with or in someone that changes his mind after a couple of weeks? Next thing RD does, everyone involved will ask themselves if he is gonna pull out if he feel it is not his thing. You think that is somet you want on your CV or as a reputation?

He could have done a soft exit without all the negativity that now comes.
aees
2/28/2020 10:37am
aees wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:
Are you 100% confident that Dungey's contract didn't have an "escape" or "opt out" clause ??
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible.

They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if it did allow sudden exits. Do you think this looks good for any of the sponsors, teams, riders, share holders, that a world class athlete dumps them after a few weeks?

There is likely in time and effort during due diligence a few 100k invested. Lawyers and accountants, possible PE firm to broker and arrange valuations, agreements, PR, promotion videos, bikes, parts etc.

You don't put everyone through this, with the bad optics is provides, unless there is caused to believe contractual breach in one end or another.
2/28/2020 10:40am
aees wrote:
Due diligence happens BEFORE you enter contract. After you have entered, you can typically only pull out without liquid damage if something non disclosed appears. This...
Due diligence happens BEFORE you enter contract. After you have entered, you can typically only pull out without liquid damage if something non disclosed appears.

This is grown ups world. Not Walmart where you buy and try, then leave stuff back if you did not feel like it was your thing.

What do you think Geico thinks about running a serious line of promotion for a world class athlete, that after a month pulls out because it was "not his thing"?

In a professional world, this is not viewed lightly. Who wants to invest with or in someone that changes his mind after a couple of weeks? Next thing RD does, everyone involved will ask themselves if he is gonna pull out if he feel it is not his thing. You think that is somet you want on your CV or as a reputation?

He could have done a soft exit without all the negativity that now comes.
Exactly, your due diligence Comes before, not during.
aees
2/28/2020 10:48am
aees wrote:

crowe176 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
It is a shit show already, looks really poor on Dungey side as he is trying to become an Investor.

That is, If they maintain the story about it being "to much work" as the exit reason.

Dungey is a stand up guy, there is so many options to end this softly if that was the true reason.

If I where Geico, I would be plenty upset about the shit show to team they sponsor. Looks like kinder garden.

It is all speculation, but no doubt it is an epic failure no one wants to have on the CV if they can avoid it.
Momus
2/28/2020 11:45am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 11:46am
aees wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:
aees wrote:
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible. They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if...
Of course I'm not 100%, if there was clowns drafting the agreements it is possible.

They would not have gone so hard at the promotion if it did allow sudden exits. Do you think this looks good for any of the sponsors, teams, riders, share holders, that a world class athlete dumps them after a few weeks?

There is likely in time and effort during due diligence a few 100k invested. Lawyers and accountants, possible PE firm to broker and arrange valuations, agreements, PR, promotion videos, bikes, parts etc.

You don't put everyone through this, with the bad optics is provides, unless there is caused to believe contractual breach in one end or another.
Mate, nobody but you gives two hoots about this. Next you will have the Illuminati factored in.

Dungey's accountant found a tax liability or the lawyer found a glitch so Ryan pulled the plug.

Simple explanations are the most likely.

His brand was already pretty dubious in my book. He let his many fans, KTM etc and the sport down big time by retiring years early.

Post a reply to: Dungey done with Geico Honda

The Latest