Dungey loses 2 times at Red Bud!!!!

Hershey
7/7/2015 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 9:14am
So we hit up Red bud for the 4th of July spectacular, the coveted Pro National! We had a fantastic time! Arrived weds night, practiced thursday 5 sessions, raced one class friday, Austin raced friday night and Austin and Ayla raced sat night! We had VIP tickets in the North tent which is worth every penny. We cruised the pits all day and talked to many riders. As you can see we dressed the part. Unfortunately I dont have a good shot with my daughter also.

Friday night Austin pulled a holeshot and gave a clinic to the wobbler class! He was sooooo excited! Got a $50 lucas oil certificate, a Sunstar sprockets hat, a bunch of stickers and even free pizza from one of the vendors. Spoils go to the winner!

So being the good Dad I tell him we will get some of the pros to sign his first place trophy. He really wanted Ryan Dungey's because he rides a KTM and Austin just got one too, plus he wins a lot he said. OK....Dad is on a mission! So saturday the boy and I are off to the pits about 9am, we start staking out which trailers to hit up..... After the first praactice session we catch up with Cooper Webb under his tent talking with his mechanic about the bike. I walk over and ask him to sign Austins trophy from the night before. He gladly does so and congratulates him on his win. Webb was still in his gear minus his jersey and was a great guy to take the time to talk with us. Next we hit up Cristophe Pourcel. Now people like to say he is a bit too good for fans sometimes, not in our case. We got the same greeting from him also! Good guy and polite to us. He was very particular about the handle bars and how tight he wanted his steering stem though.

Brock tickle was the first rider we got to after the first 450 practice. He came right over and signed also. Next was Blake Baggett, we couldnt find Roczen so we went to the JGR tent. Barcia was on board with signing for us. We cruised by the KTM rig and hung out a bit but no Dungey. Off the the RCH rig again, no Roczen so we walked around the corner to his RV. There were a few women sitting out there in chairs talking, I asked them if Ken was in the RV, if so would he sign my sons trophy. One lady jumped right up and said he was busy getting ready for the next practice and probably in his underwear but she would get him to sign it. Sure enough he did! By this point Austin is jumping for joy .... but he wants Dungey's. We go watch some more practice and when done off to the KTM rig again. A while after the practice we see Dungey aitting on his RV steps. We walk over and I give Austin his trophy to ask the Dunge for his signature. When he sees us coming he immediately says NO!..... I stop about 15-20 ft away so Im not intruding and explain to him Austin was 5 and just won the wobbler class the night before ... he really wanted to get your autograph. Without even a moments hesitation he tells us NO....you need to leave now ...no....I dont have time, please leave. Later I will.... leave now. Ok.... he is tired and wants to rest, eat , whatever. If you know how 5 year olds work you know Austin couldnt understand why he didnt sign it. I explain about how tired he must be and he said we could get it later. We watched all the exciting racing that day, as most of you know it was great all day!

After the motos we head back over to the pits. We see Zach Osbourn and he talked to us a minute while signing his trophy. We stop by Dungeys trailer but he isnt around, Marvin wasnt either. We ran into Aldon Baker and talked with him. Nice guy and he acted surprised when we asked for his autograph. Back to KTM, no Dungey. We see DeCoster, when he was finished talking with the mechanics I asked him over. Super great guy, very friendly and talkative. He gladly signed for Austin and expressed how it was cool he had won his race. I asked him if Dungey was around and would be out later to sign it also. He said to be patient and that he would be out and take care of us. He assured us the wait would pay off. So another 30-45 mins go by, no Dungey. Finally we walked around the corner to look at his RV... he came out from there and was walking across the road to the other KTM rig. I again asked him to sign, he turned and looked at us ( it was Ayla and I at this point as Austin was napping to get ready for his race). He had to have recognized me and my outfit/hat from before, surely he would sign. NO he said, I dont have time. Sorry.... NO.... and quickly walked away from us.

The first time I asked him there were no other people any where around us, the second time there was one other person there who also wanted an autograph. It wasnt like he was mobbed and the second time was an hour after his last moto... he was showered and clean. We got a great plaque with really fantastic autographs from the race, it just stinks that Dungey couldnt take the time to sign a trophy for a 5 year old boy. Terrible role model as Austin still doesnt understand why Ryan wouldnt sign it. Especially since Ryan is portrayed as the clean cut all american boy who takes the time for everybody, in reality he was the ONLY rider we asked that wouldnt take the time.

Thanks for nothing Dungey, you are a great rider but a terrible role model and spokes person for your sponsors. You lost 4 fans in my family this past weekend. Fortunately we still had one of the best race experiences to date!

|
Starcrossed
7/7/2015 5:05pm
Maybe he was having a bad day,. Albertson asked him to say Reddddd Buddddd in a pre-race interview and his first response was, "No." Then Jimmy softened him up and he said it. Great that you were able to speak to so many other riders though...congrats on your son's win.
DA498
7/7/2015 5:16pm
That stinks for sure. Did he not have an official signing line that day?
IWreckALot
7/7/2015 5:20pm
That's bizarre. I wonder what crawled up his ass. Rough day maybe? I've always heard that he is kind with fans. Hopefully you just hit him at an off day.
Hut
7/7/2015 5:25pm
I never understood the fascination with autographs.

The Shop

Cygnus
7/7/2015 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2015 8:09am
wgas!
500guy
7/7/2015 5:43pm
it's a bummer

maybe explain to your son how life isn't fair and his expectations are not those of others. hopefully He isn't damaged for life.
Cygnus
7/7/2015 5:44pm
Congrats to your son and the family. Sounds like a great trip anyways.
Outsider
7/7/2015 5:48pm
Lol
petersen112
7/7/2015 5:52pm
I think pros have their good days and bad days and it oftentimes depends on the moment when you catch them. I had gone to Red Bud with my friends and we had strolled the pits between practice as well. A friend of mine saw Dungey headed to his semi to get ready for his second practice and asked for a quick picture. I let my friend know ahead of time that it wasn't the right moment to ask as I knew it was a hectic time. Initially Dungey said he couldn't (which I understood), but I think he could see how eager my friend was and thus he did take the time out for a picture. I have to say it was very respectful of Dungey to do that for us and I'm sorry to hear your son couldn't get his autograph. I would chalk it up to bad timing though.
SEE ARE125
7/7/2015 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2015 6:00pm
Saw the same thing happen to some kids in the pits after the ATL2 SX, and he won that night. Kept quickly walking away saying "I'll be back I'm just gonna grab a bottle of water" then disappeared. Later he reappeared, the same kids were asking for him to sign something, then he said "I will in a little bit, I'm going to go change clothes" then disappeared again into his RV. One of the kids said "Dad why does Dungey ALWAYS do this? He always leaves." Just something I witnessed. I just figured he wanted to decompress a bit after a 20 lap main, which is completely understandable.
bdub
7/7/2015 5:59pm
That loss to JB second moto, must have really pissed him off...
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
7/7/2015 6:03pm
Imagine a day at work when a coworker you typically out perform, showed you up and cost you a bonus probably in the 25k range.... I'd be a bit crotchety too.
plowboy
7/7/2015 6:06pm
Let's be fair and honest here. That scenario is very untypical of Dungey. Obviously something pretty weighty was going on with him. He doesn't usually turn away the itty bittys. Y'all know that's true.
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
7/7/2015 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2015 6:18pm
Oh boo hoo, they are people too. There is always a five year old or 10 that wants an autograph. They have designated times for that. Don't expect a professional athlete to jump to your beck and call because once someone sees him doing something like that usually creates a rush.
MXVet261
Fantasy
3973rd
7/7/2015 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2015 6:37pm
I talked to Dungey at Budds Creek and told him to make sure he stays far away from the Red Bud Psycho with the stars and stripes Jester hat on.....dude is a loose cannon!
nytsmaC
7/7/2015 6:38pm
That's not bad. I tried to get RV's autograph once, he threw his cigarette down and punched me in the mouth.
BobPA
7/7/2015 6:41pm
Calling Dungey a terrible role model hahaha.
kawirider819
7/7/2015 6:43pm
I don't really think it's fair to call him a terrible role model. Trust me, I'm far far from being a Dungey fan but I'd still consider him a good role model.
Hut
7/7/2015 6:43pm
nytsmaC wrote:
That's not bad. I tried to get RV's autograph once, he threw his cigarette down and punched me in the mouth.
7/7/2015 6:49pm

I've hung around many of times waiting to interview Dungey, every time I've seen him stay around until every single person had an autograph or photo (see attached from Vegas SX). I do know that after the MX race the guys have to come over to the media tent for the press conference (usually top 3 in each class), after the races I've also seen Doc. G make sure that everything is good with the Dunge's body from the day, and I'm sure they are probably trying to grab a bite to eat after as they are probably pretty hungry. For the outdoors a lot of guys have flights the same night to try and make it back home where they need to get out of there quick to catch their flights.

During the day I'm sure the guys have team meetings after practices to discuss lines, bike set up, etc. and prepare for their next practice/race. They also have to have time to eat lunch along with having timed autograph signings.

I'm sure it was just bad timing and it sucks but if there's anyone I've seen sign more autographs and try to make time for fans it's Dungey.
DMG
7/7/2015 6:55pm
Thats not very Dungey like at all. Ive seen him wait around signing for everyone that waited many times.
kkawboy14
7/7/2015 7:05pm
Park Boys wrote:
Oh boo hoo, they are people too. There is always a five year old or 10 that wants an autograph. They have designated times for that...
Oh boo hoo, they are people too. There is always a five year old or 10 that wants an autograph. They have designated times for that. Don't expect a professional athlete to jump to your beck and call because once someone sees him doing something like that usually creates a rush.
He shouldn't tell people to come back......as if he was going to do it.

He should just say "I only sign autographs at posted times"
yak651
Fantasy
168th
7/7/2015 7:07pm
It's great you were able to get all the other autographs, but there is a reason they have the signing times....
Sandberm
7/7/2015 7:11pm
I wouldnt go up to a rider during the race day and ask for an autograph. After the races sure. Makes no difference whether its a 5 y.o. or an old grandma, hes at work trying to do his thing and i respect that he needs to focus on the task at hand.

Regardless, cut Dunge some slack and glad you had a great weekend besides. Nice lookin family you got there.
Starcrossed
7/7/2015 7:20pm
He prob has to be somewhat firm with his responses at an event like RedBud or else it would affect his tight schedule with minimal free time between practice and racing. If he were to come over to the barrier to sign a single autograph he would be instantly mobbed and then would upset many more fans by accommodating only one. The demands on his time are somewhat overwhelming on Saturday and this is why the autograph times are clearly posted and why it is so important to decide which racers you want to meet and get to their autograph line early. It is virtually impossible to get every autograph that you would like on race day. Fortunately you were able to get quite a few, and next time, if you observe his schedule, you will probably get the reception that you were hoping for.
Xeno
7/7/2015 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2015 7:32pm
Dungey took a photo with my son at a Supercross when the pits were closing, before opening ceremonies.
He agreed to do it- no attitude at all. I felt bad for delaying him.

One weekend at RedBud doesn't define the guy.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
7/7/2015 7:48pm
Next time why not play by the rules and get an autograph at the designated time?

To me, approaching these guys at their personal RV's is going too far.
Meister
7/7/2015 8:03pm
Bullshit.

These guys are idols to many. I don't care if I was stepping into the bathroom about to explode, if some 5 year old kid wanted my autograph, hed damn sure get it.

Approach these guys WHENEVER, and they should respond. If theyre seriously in the middle of something, fine, tell them to come back in a bit. When they do, just sign the damn thing!

You know how many times Jeremy McGrath, doug Henry, Jeff emig, john dowd, and Kevin Windham signed things for me when I was 9 and 10 years old? I can't even remember but at 30 years old I still have them all somewhere.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
7/7/2015 8:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2015 8:09pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Next time why not play by the rules and get an autograph at the designated time? To me, approaching these guys at their personal RV's is...
Next time why not play by the rules and get an autograph at the designated time?

To me, approaching these guys at their personal RV's is going too far.
I agree! I think it's rude to bother these guys when they already have specific autograph times. When your busy at your job would your boss want you to stop for autograph's? He/she would probably say that is what your break times are for.

Plus now your kid thinks it's OK to bother people when their busy. I think that's a bad role model.
RangerLee
7/7/2015 8:22pm
Wow, I had a completely opposite experience with RD and my son. He was open and came right out and stood next to him for autographs and photo's. He was patient enough to wait for my wife to get the camera right for the photos. Always wanting it "perfect."

Sucks he had the experience with a rider he looks up to.

Take solace in know that the rider he looks up to the most though, is you.

Post a reply to: Dungey loses 2 times at Red Bud!!!!

The Latest