Dungey left the 2018 & 2019 SX Championships on the table...

4/7/2019 8:18pm
Statistics show that Dungey would have won two more SX championships had he stayed in the game, even if Cooper Webb wins out from here. But then again, if Dungey would have stayed Webb likely wouldn't be relevant this year because he'd still be on the blue bike. Dungey would've beat Anderson last year, and Dungey's closest competitors this year would have been Marvin and Tomac, both of which he had covered.

I know it's would've could've should've topic, but it goes to show you how unbelievably consistent Dungey was....

Dungey's average finish for his last 3 years in SX were 1.76, 1.65, and 2.53. Anderson's 2018 average finish was 3.64, and IF Webb wins out this year his average finish will be 2.70.

Dungey was the last of several dominant Champions who strung Championships together during the last 26 years. We are fortunate to have witnessed this era because I'm not sure when we'll ever see another champ again like MC/RC/JS/RV/RD....for this to happen, one of the current guys will have to find the consistency to go on a win streak for the next few years. Not sure if it's possible, but I hope someone steps up because Dungey is still waiting to pass the Crown.

|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/7/2019 8:22pm
I agree but who would have thought that Tomac would keep having these bad seasons. I figured the first season that he had bad races early in the series was just bad luck but he keeps having these hot or cold races and you don't win championships like that.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/7/2019 8:23pm
Now this year Webb can do no wrong so I think he would have beat Dungey.Cool
4/7/2019 8:29pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I agree but who would have thought that Tomac would keep having these bad seasons. I figured the first season that he had bad races early...
I agree but who would have thought that Tomac would keep having these bad seasons. I figured the first season that he had bad races early in the series was just bad luck but he keeps having these hot or cold races and you don't win championships like that.
Dungey is a smart dude and went out on top, because looking back everyone would have placed their bets on Tomac to find his consistency and dominate (just ask JS7)...

Two years later, and Dungey would still be on top.

The Shop

thorns
4/7/2019 8:34pm
Does that mean the RV left these two as well as Dungeys title on the table?
Did RC4 leave the next x amount on the table?
Did Mcgrath leave.....

Pointless thread is pointless.
kpiper
4/7/2019 8:39pm
Both RV2 and RD were done. Their heart was not in it anymore so they would not have kept winning championships.

I would have enjoyed seeing them take a year off though and come back! That would have been cool even if just for the Nationals.
Crush
4/7/2019 8:41pm
Well RV left the 15/16/17/18 & 19 titles too then.
4/7/2019 8:46pm
I'm not so sure about that, I think it would have been tough for him to win it last year, Anderson was very consistent and if it wasn't for a mechanical at the second to last race it wouldn't have even been close. I think it depends a lot on which Dungey showed up. Due to Tomac's implosion in 2017 people seem to forget that Dungey wasn't amazing that year (relatively speaking of course, he was still good enough to win the title), he nearly blew a 30 point lead in the last half of the series while never finishing worse than fourth.

That being said I think if the Dungey of 2015 and 2016 show up he'd win, but the Dungey of 2017 might struggle a bit, like he did then. Again, relatively speaking of course, he still won the title but that championship should have never been close.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/7/2019 9:33pm
I think the biggest surprise is two years later and Tomac still hasn't won the SX championship. Sad
4/7/2019 10:23pm
Dungey smashed himself up and realized that the time had come so bowed out at the top. A lot of things, including championships, could've happened.

I like the idea of Ryan Dungey having a great quality of life after racing at the top, having achieved what only a few can claim to have done with limited injuries that will hopefully see him get to enjoy a long healthy 'retirement'. Too many leave this sport absolutely fucked not realizing that the injuries they've sustained are going to last a lifetime.
SwingHard
4/7/2019 10:39pm
Crush wrote:
^This. I think people forget how dominant RV was his last season,indoors & outdoors!
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
4/8/2019 12:31am
Crush wrote:
That's an interesting one to me. Dungey made a clear step change indoors when he got the '15 FE model and started working with Baker. If Villopoto were to continue racing, and KTM managed to pry Baker away, it'd be interesting to see how things would have turned out.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/8/2019 12:49am
lostboy819 wrote:
Now this year Webb can do no wrong so I think he would have beat Dungey.Cool
But Webb wouldn't be riding Dungey's bike Smile ...
But maybe Webb would be riding Baggetts bike. Wink
Goofy Foot
4/8/2019 7:52am
Interesting to think who might be the next dominant champion....not sure who can step up. Webb has had soo many close calls and luck has been on his side. Not sure that is sustainable. Tomac continues to have issues. Marvin is riding on edge. Roczen is having very bad luck, but of all the guys I could see Roczen finding his way again and going on a win streak.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1599th
4/8/2019 7:54am
And RV2 left titles on the table....dung had nothing for him
4/8/2019 8:12am
Rv2 would have won every year and have 19 wrapped up already.. and be miserable and hating life haha
Cali
4/8/2019 8:12am
Crush wrote:
Exactly
milliebays
4/8/2019 8:24am
i mean he basically won RBSR off the couch.
beamer
4/8/2019 8:43am
This also fits RC's situation when he retired, especially outdoors.
VoR
4/8/2019 8:52am
Did you guys miss Mc2's knack knack this weekend? frickin left a good 14-17 titles on the table!!
cwtoyota
4/8/2019 9:03am
If "what if's" were chocolate cake, some of you guys would be too fat to fuck.
4/8/2019 9:12am
cwtoyota wrote:
If "what if's" were chocolate cake, some of you guys would be too fat to fuck.
Laughing Probably already are.
tkimb
4/8/2019 9:53am
If Dungey lined up he probably would have gotten a top 5.
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
4/8/2019 10:01am
VoR wrote:
Did you guys miss Mc2's knack knack this weekend? frickin left a good 14-17 titles on the table!!
Umm.. it's a little different when you leave and you're not on top. MC was great until RC finally got him rattled. MC retired at a good time, RC, RV, and Dungey could be disputed retired early, but I think all 3 were kind of over it when they left.
Phantom 661
4/8/2019 10:38am
I'm not so sure about that, I think it would have been tough for him to win it last year, Anderson was very consistent and if...
I'm not so sure about that, I think it would have been tough for him to win it last year, Anderson was very consistent and if it wasn't for a mechanical at the second to last race it wouldn't have even been close. I think it depends a lot on which Dungey showed up. Due to Tomac's implosion in 2017 people seem to forget that Dungey wasn't amazing that year (relatively speaking of course, he was still good enough to win the title), he nearly blew a 30 point lead in the last half of the series while never finishing worse than fourth.

That being said I think if the Dungey of 2015 and 2016 show up he'd win, but the Dungey of 2017 might struggle a bit, like he did then. Again, relatively speaking of course, he still won the title but that championship should have never been close.
I agree with your assessment. One of the signs of trouble in 2017 for Dungey was his starts. He showed up and got it done.... but I was seeing a different RD out there. As someone stated above it would have been nice to see him take a year off and come back swinging.. but it wasn't to be.
BobbyM
4/8/2019 10:57am
Statistics show that Dungey would have won two more SX championships had he stayed in the game, even if Cooper Webb wins out from here. But...
Statistics show that Dungey would have won two more SX championships had he stayed in the game, even if Cooper Webb wins out from here. But then again, if Dungey would have stayed Webb likely wouldn't be relevant this year because he'd still be on the blue bike. Dungey would've beat Anderson last year, and Dungey's closest competitors this year would have been Marvin and Tomac, both of which he had covered.

I know it's would've could've should've topic, but it goes to show you how unbelievably consistent Dungey was....

Dungey's average finish for his last 3 years in SX were 1.76, 1.65, and 2.53. Anderson's 2018 average finish was 3.64, and IF Webb wins out this year his average finish will be 2.70.

Dungey was the last of several dominant Champions who strung Championships together during the last 26 years. We are fortunate to have witnessed this era because I'm not sure when we'll ever see another champ again like MC/RC/JS/RV/RD....for this to happen, one of the current guys will have to find the consistency to go on a win streak for the next few years. Not sure if it's possible, but I hope someone steps up because Dungey is still waiting to pass the Crown.

Ryan Dungey will go down as one of the very best racers that has ever lived, and maybe the smartest rider to ever compete and even in retirement. He has nothing left to prove to say the least.
4/8/2019 11:15am
Statistics show that Dungey would have won two more SX championships had he stayed in the game, even if Cooper Webb wins out from here. But...

BobbyM wrote:
Ryan Dungey will go down as one of the very best racers that has ever lived, and maybe the smartest rider to ever compete and even...
Ryan Dungey will go down as one of the very best racers that has ever lived, and maybe the smartest rider to ever compete and even in retirement. He has nothing left to prove to say the least.
Agreed.

Another observation is that Ryan Dungey is the only one of the dominant champions who has not become a pillsbury dough boy after retiring yet....all the others blew up (understandably so). It's so easy to put on the LB's after your rigorous training program comes to an end, but Dungey is still putting in the work to stay in great shape. Maybe we'll see a pudgy Dungey after his first child arrives, but I doubt it. Maybe he is planning for a come back Smile
milliebays
4/8/2019 11:32am

BobbyM wrote:
Ryan Dungey will go down as one of the very best racers that has ever lived, and maybe the smartest rider to ever compete and even...
Agreed. Another observation is that Ryan Dungey is the only one of the dominant champions who has not become a pillsbury dough boy after retiring yet....all...
Agreed.

Another observation is that Ryan Dungey is the only one of the dominant champions who has not become a pillsbury dough boy after retiring yet....all the others blew up (understandably so). It's so easy to put on the LB's after your rigorous training program comes to an end, but Dungey is still putting in the work to stay in great shape. Maybe we'll see a pudgy Dungey after his first child arrives, but I doubt it. Maybe he is planning for a come back Smile
bet he ends up doing some high level MTB racing or something similar. he has the engine for it.

Post a reply to: Dungey left the 2018 & 2019 SX Championships on the table...

The Latest