Dungey invests in a MTB company...

Edited Date/Time 1/28/2019 5:12am
Very interesting:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense-restructures-with-a-new-managemen…

Two of Intense LLC’s investors, four-time Supercross champion Ryan Dungey and Team Geico Honda Co-owner Jeff Majkrzak, have lived that dream. Given their exemplary track records, it is doubtful that either would invest substantial sums to subsidize Intense’s desire to go World Cup DH racing without an ironclad business plan that included athletes who could deliver top-step performances.
|
nytsmaC
1/23/2019 11:01am
Big changes at Intense. They recently went from selling bikes at MEC to a new direct-to-consumer model, and hired the biggest name in DH racing to ride for them.

Their bikes are still pretty darn expensive for a direct-to-consumer brand when you compare them to the likes of YT and Canyon.
BikeGuy321
1/23/2019 11:08am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 11:12am
Aaron Gwin will definitely put the bike through the wringer, that's for sure. Amaury Pierron was pretty dang impressive last year though, so he'll probably be tough to beat.

I like how RedBull TV has all the races, but I'm not a huge fan of their announcer. Dude just yells on cue at every time check.
ob
1/23/2019 11:12am
With Gwin coming on, if the rumors are true. You would expect their stock to go up that’s for sure. It’s always cool to see Gwin at Pala getting motos in.

The Shop

dh893
1/23/2019 11:12am
The last paragraph about the youth racing is interesting. It kind of got me thinking about if the sport of downhill and/or enduro mtb could begin to model itself after mx, with brands creating amateur teams that serve as feeder programs for their pro teams. Either way, cool to see Dungey get behind a new two wheeled sport. I will certainly think about an Intense for my next enduro bike.
BikeGuy321
1/23/2019 11:15am
ob wrote:
With Gwin coming on, if the rumors are true. You would expect their stock to go up that’s for sure. It’s always cool to see Gwin...
With Gwin coming on, if the rumors are true. You would expect their stock to go up that’s for sure. It’s always cool to see Gwin at Pala getting motos in.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/23/2019 11:16am
three9zero wrote:
So did Jon-Eric and Christy leave KTM ?
I believe Christy left KTM sometime last year.
nytsmaC
1/23/2019 11:17am
Yup Gwin to Intense was confirmed this morning, Neko too.
ob
1/23/2019 11:17am
ob wrote:
With Gwin coming on, if the rumors are true. You would expect their stock to go up that’s for sure. It’s always cool to see Gwin...
BikeGuy321 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/23/320146/s1200_p3pb16791128.jpg[/img]

I didn’t know it was official yet, thanks
BikeGuy321
1/23/2019 11:32am
ob wrote:
BikeGuy321 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/23/320146/s1200_p3pb16791128.jpg[/img]

ob wrote:
I didn’t know it was official yet, thanks
No worries! My browser auto corrected vitalmx to vital mtb this morning and that was one of their headlines. It's good to see that he's still riding Fox, I was worried he'd have to run Rockshox with his new team.
mister2dt
1/23/2019 11:41am
dh893 wrote:
The last paragraph about the youth racing is interesting. It kind of got me thinking about if the sport of downhill and/or enduro mtb could begin...
The last paragraph about the youth racing is interesting. It kind of got me thinking about if the sport of downhill and/or enduro mtb could begin to model itself after mx, with brands creating amateur teams that serve as feeder programs for their pro teams. Either way, cool to see Dungey get behind a new two wheeled sport. I will certainly think about an Intense for my next enduro bike.
Some brands do this in a way already. Not a direct brand team, but by supplying collegiate teams with bikes and support. Some of my bmx friends went to college on mtb bike scholarships and rode for their respective schools on Specialized and Intense bikes supplied by the manufacturer, this allowed the college racers to race UCI races on top of ncaa races by freeing up bike money. One friend in particular got 2 Specialized completes and 2 frames each season both for DH and XC. Parts galore as well.
crowe176
1/23/2019 11:47am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 11:49am
OT, I've been out of the MTB game for decades, but with all the uppity self proclaimed cooler connoisseurs I know who are embarrassed to be seen using my Styrofoam cooler, is YETI still a bike company, or related to the cooler company? I always see people wearing YETI hats, and think they're core MTB'rs come to find out, theyre just super pumped about paying hundreds of dollars to keep their coffee hot for a week or some bs
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
1/23/2019 12:09pm
crowe176 wrote:
OT, I've been out of the MTB game for decades, but with all the uppity self proclaimed cooler connoisseurs I know who are embarrassed to be...
OT, I've been out of the MTB game for decades, but with all the uppity self proclaimed cooler connoisseurs I know who are embarrassed to be seen using my Styrofoam cooler, is YETI still a bike company, or related to the cooler company? I always see people wearing YETI hats, and think they're core MTB'rs come to find out, theyre just super pumped about paying hundreds of dollars to keep their coffee hot for a week or some bs
2 different companies. My local bike shop used to stock Yeti bikes and had a Yeti sticker on the door. They would constantly have moms coming through asking for koozies or coolers. I'm surprised the bike company didn't fight the cooler company over the name, they are both marketed to the outdoorsy types.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/23/2019 12:13pm
crowe176 wrote:
OT, I've been out of the MTB game for decades, but with all the uppity self proclaimed cooler connoisseurs I know who are embarrassed to be...
Stick one of these on your foamie

ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
1/23/2019 12:13pm
crowe176 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
2 different companies. My local bike shop used to stock Yeti bikes and had a Yeti sticker on the door. They would constantly have moms coming...
2 different companies. My local bike shop used to stock Yeti bikes and had a Yeti sticker on the door. They would constantly have moms coming through asking for koozies or coolers. I'm surprised the bike company didn't fight the cooler company over the name, they are both marketed to the outdoorsy types.
Same business model though. One sells overpriced, but quality, coolers, and the other same but bicycles. Although if you're not a fan of IMBA, then steer clear of Yeti bikes - the CEO is president of IMBAs board.

Moto connection - John Tomac rode for Yeti at one point.
BroFoSho
1/23/2019 1:17pm
I hope that bike performs better than it looks....

yuck!
mwr
1/23/2019 1:46pm
Ha, the bicycle industry is another one of those where if you want to make a small fortune, start with a large one.
mwr
1/23/2019 1:48pm
crowe176 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
2 different companies. My local bike shop used to stock Yeti bikes and had a Yeti sticker on the door. They would constantly have moms coming...
ACBraap wrote:
Same business model though. One sells overpriced, but quality, coolers, and the other same but bicycles. Although if you're not a fan of IMBA, then steer...
Same business model though. One sells overpriced, but quality, coolers, and the other same but bicycles. Although if you're not a fan of IMBA, then steer clear of Yeti bikes - the CEO is president of IMBAs board.

A better moto connection, Johnny O' Mara rode for Yeti.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
1/23/2019 1:53pm
GrapeApe wrote:
ACBraap wrote:
Same business model though. One sells overpriced, but quality, coolers, and the other same but bicycles. Although if you're not a fan of IMBA, then steer...

mwr wrote:
A better moto connection, Johnny O' Mara rode for Yeti.
So did Jeff Stanton, but yes, O'Mara was arguably the most successful at both moto and MTB, but the elder Tomac was of course very successful on fall forms of pedal bikes, went to Loretta's on moto, and spawned and coached Eli. No idea what cooler he used however.
nealb129
1/23/2019 2:09pm
crowe176 wrote:
I like this guy haha
Question
1/23/2019 2:16pm
If they like gambling, why not make a LBO on Alta from Intense's balance sheet ?

Both are the future, most mx guys are turning into DHers, and Alta was I think very close to make while it would be a bargain to buy now.

Anyway, that is something that could be studied.
milliebays
1/23/2019 7:35pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Big changes at Intense. They recently went from selling bikes at MEC to a new direct-to-consumer model, and hired the biggest name in DH racing to...
Big changes at Intense. They recently went from selling bikes at MEC to a new direct-to-consumer model, and hired the biggest name in DH racing to ride for them.

Their bikes are still pretty darn expensive for a direct-to-consumer brand when you compare them to the likes of YT and Canyon.
their framesets are an excellent value. best way to go, and then just build up what you want.

great company that keeps it real.
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
1/23/2019 7:55pm
burnside wrote:
Wheres Shaun Palmer!?
Snowboarding and riding his Honda Cr 250 r build to the hilt 2 smoker, and other Napalm ish activities ?
westeast
Fantasy
5th
1/23/2019 7:58pm
crowe176 wrote:
I'm always thrown by the Yeti hat's and stickers (on cars). I get wearing a bike/surf/moto/other sport hat... but an ice chest hat?
BAMX
1/23/2019 8:50pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Big changes at Intense. They recently went from selling bikes at MEC to a new direct-to-consumer model, and hired the biggest name in DH racing to...

I talked to one of the reps at the Caselli Ride Day and was left with the understanding that they aren't going the pure direct to consumer route. If I understood it correctly, they will work with the customer and local dealers to get you the bike asap. Sometimes that is shipping to customer. Sometimes, the customer may go get it from a nearby dealer that has it in stock. Sometimes it may ship from a dealer across the country if none are available locally or at the factory. It sounded more like a whatever works best when everyone works together model. From what he said, even the guy who has it delivered direct to his door will still get a voucher for some service at his local dealer.
nytsmaC
1/23/2019 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 8:55pm
BAMX wrote:
I talked to one of the reps at the Caselli Ride Day and was left with the understanding that they aren't going the pure direct to...
I talked to one of the reps at the Caselli Ride Day and was left with the understanding that they aren't going the pure direct to consumer route. If I understood it correctly, they will work with the customer and local dealers to get you the bike asap. Sometimes that is shipping to customer. Sometimes, the customer may go get it from a nearby dealer that has it in stock. Sometimes it may ship from a dealer across the country if none are available locally or at the factory. It sounded more like a whatever works best when everyone works together model. From what he said, even the guy who has it delivered direct to his door will still get a voucher for some service at his local dealer.
That makes sense, and their pricing is more in line then if it accounts for some dealer profit. Knolly does it the same way.
BAMX
1/23/2019 9:07pm
BAMX wrote:
I talked to one of the reps at the Caselli Ride Day and was left with the understanding that they aren't going the pure direct to...
nytsmaC wrote:
That makes sense, and their pricing is more in line then if it accounts for some dealer profit. Knolly does it the same way.
The gist that I got was that they value the dealers but also understand that YT, Canyon etc. are the way that things are going. He was pretty adamant about getting the customer to the local dealer even if they went direct to door. I forget the exact number for the voucher but, I remember it being enough that everyone would end up using it unless they were made of money.
nytsmaC
1/23/2019 9:31pm
BAMX wrote:
The gist that I got was that they value the dealers but also understand that YT, Canyon etc. are the way that things are going. He...
The gist that I got was that they value the dealers but also understand that YT, Canyon etc. are the way that things are going. He was pretty adamant about getting the customer to the local dealer even if they went direct to door. I forget the exact number for the voucher but, I remember it being enough that everyone would end up using it unless they were made of money.
I talked to Knolly about their new Fugitive, the deal was I could buy one direct but MSRP is MSRP, and since I don’t have a Knolly dealer locally I could use the dealer of my choice and line it up through them. I applaud them for that, it just seems like the honorable way of doing things.
tingo
1/24/2019 6:32am
westeast wrote:
I'm always thrown by the Yeti hat's and stickers (on cars). I get wearing a bike/surf/moto/other sport hat... but an ice chest hat?
Blows my mind, too. It's incredible what Yeti has managed to accomplish not only selling (must have!!) crazy expensive coolers to the masses, but also making themselves a "lifestyle" brand - a status symbol, really. People paid a lot of money to get that sticker with their cooler, and they'll be damned if they aren't going to stick it on their truck to let you know about it. You don't see people rocking Vitamix hats or putting Keurig stickers on their cars, because that would be so uncool if they did. Whistling

Oh, and cool to see the Dunge investing in Intense. I'll take a hat, please.

Post a reply to: Dungey invests in a MTB company...

The Latest