Dungey back to KTM.

8/23/2021 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2021 7:04pm
Spudnut wrote:
He also doesn’t have anything left to prove. He was an amazing racer, one of the best to ever do it. The rose colored lens associated...
He also doesn’t have anything left to prove. He was an amazing racer, one of the best to ever do it.

The rose colored lens associated with how these past champions would do if they all the sudden decided to make a comeback just drives me nuts. //Rant

However I do believe he will be an extremely valuable asset to KTM when it comes to testing and even possibly training. The Honda deal always seemed odd to me, Dungey belongs with KTM and it’s great that they’re back on the same page
For the most part I agree. But I also think you are being a bit too cynical. Dungey is 31 years old. Zach Osborne was a premier title winner at 30 years old. If Dungey trained and applied himself, he would be easily inside the top 10, if not better, imho.

Having said that, I didn't post this assuming Dungey was returning to racing, but rather to let others know he returned to KTM.
Spudnut
8/23/2021 7:17pm
Maybe I am...Top 10 all day. Title contender no..... anyways... back to the actual topic...

I think If his roll is going to be as a test rider, he will be the best that KTM has ever had to date. Does anyone know what him being back on a ktm actually means though? I didn’t see a mention of what his role will be with them, just a post about him having some fun riding which is great but now I’m curious and I’m sure others are too.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
8/23/2021 7:18pm
KurtJ99 wrote:
KTM probably didn't want to offer Dungey what he wanted, whatever that was, for what he was willing to do for KTM post racer. The Honda...
KTM probably didn't want to offer Dungey what he wanted, whatever that was, for what he was willing to do for KTM post racer. The Honda move was both exploratory (for the Geico deal - perhaps he knew it was going to be short lived!) and separating from enough from KTM to have them feel the loss of his brand value.
byke wrote:
He was seeking 2m for one year in his recent comeback attempt. Nobody would pay it for what would essentially amount to a 10th place novelty.
So guys running around 10th place are novelties?
davis224
Fantasy
138th
8/23/2021 7:24pm
Spudnut wrote:
That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. He would be lucky to be in the top 5-8 you don’t take a couple years off then...
That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. He would be lucky to be in the top 5-8 you don’t take a couple years off then just show back up all Willy nilly and run the same pace
davis224 wrote:
K-dub is washed up and rusty, plus he's riding one of those new fangled heavy 4 strokes? No way he's competitive. 8th place tops.
Spudnut wrote:
Not even close to comparable. K dub only missed one season... dungey has missed 4 if he were to come back
But, he never stopped riding and has maintained a baseline of fitness. It wouldn't be the biggest leap to get back into it. Coming back in '22? I agree, I think the intensity has ratcheted up a notch finally and he'd be hard pressed to find the podium. But I think if he didnt retire, both titles in '18 and maybe outdoors in '19 would have been his for the taking. Not a big Dungey fan, but consistency kind of went out the window for a few years after he left.

The Shop

Spudnut
8/23/2021 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2021 7:33pm
Yeah I for sure believe he could have won everything in 2018 I still remember being almost surprised when I heard about him retiring he seemed to be getting a little better every year and was just so damn solid indoor and outdoors.

Consistency almost seems non existent the last 2 or Three years...which is actually good for the parity but Also serves as a eye opener to how good this dude actually was in his prime.

The most consistent rider today has to be Ferrandis and look where he’s at in points! Go figure!!

I never liked Dungey until Villopoto was gone lol! (PNW Born and raised 🤓)
8/23/2021 7:47pm
Spudnut wrote:
Maybe I am...Top 10 all day. Title contender no..... anyways... back to the actual topic... I think If his roll is going to be as a...
Maybe I am...Top 10 all day. Title contender no..... anyways... back to the actual topic...

I think If his roll is going to be as a test rider, he will be the best that KTM has ever had to date. Does anyone know what him being back on a ktm actually means though? I didn’t see a mention of what his role will be with them, just a post about him having some fun riding which is great but now I’m curious and I’m sure others are too.
I agree. I don't think he'd be a title contender. But it sure would be cool to see how he'd do!
8/23/2021 7:48pm
Spudnut wrote:
Yeah I for sure believe he could have won everything in 2018 I still remember being almost surprised when I heard about him retiring he seemed...
Yeah I for sure believe he could have won everything in 2018 I still remember being almost surprised when I heard about him retiring he seemed to be getting a little better every year and was just so damn solid indoor and outdoors.

Consistency almost seems non existent the last 2 or Three years...which is actually good for the parity but Also serves as a eye opener to how good this dude actually was in his prime.

The most consistent rider today has to be Ferrandis and look where he’s at in points! Go figure!!

I never liked Dungey until Villopoto was gone lol! (PNW Born and raised 🤓)
Not sure of your age, but do you remember Larry Ward? I'm a huge fan of Larry's bc he's from WA.
Spudnut
8/23/2021 7:53pm
Not sure of your age, but do you remember Larry Ward? I'm a huge fan of Larry's bc he's from WA.
Yup I remember watching him win a moto at washougal in 02 after not winning one in like 8-9 years on that funky new fangled 4 stroke Laughing
kpiper
8/23/2021 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2021 7:56pm
I bet Dungey would beat the two KTM riders currently riding the Nationals.
Spudnut
8/23/2021 8:13pm
kpiper wrote:
I bet Dungey would beat the two KTM riders currently riding the Nationals.
Maybe they’re not having enough fun

Barcia is looking great And having lots of fun (barring the current injury)

Gas gas is fun

Gas gas; the Fun Guys; were fun

Spudnut
8/23/2021 8:20pm
“Fun fun > win win” - GasGas
B Lenny
8/23/2021 8:30pm
Love to see these retired Cat's still puttin' it down....Cool
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
8/23/2021 9:21pm
If Chisholm can be this close to a top 10, I believe Dungey would be well within the top 10. He'd most likely be the top guy under the KTM tent.
Sandusky26
8/24/2021 12:56am
MyBobbym wrote:
What the fuck do you know about moto?

Thought so ..
The 70’s are over man, sorry.
8/24/2021 2:00pm
You can take Dungey out of a moto but you can't take the moto out of Dungey. Don't really care where he finishes as long as he gives it his best.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
8/24/2021 10:49pm
Don't care what he's riding....as long as he's riding.

SEMAC
8/25/2021 8:31am
Bruce372 wrote:
Shame he's not on a suzuki again
Spat24 wrote:
Yes!
I agree,but i don´t think Suzuki was ok when he went with De Coster to Ktm
Moto520
8/25/2021 8:52am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2021 8:53am
For me.....i don't care if they come back to Pro Motocross/ Supercross or not. I just want to know that they love riding dirt bikes as much as i do. To see Dungey riding again and not so burnt out that he can't enjoy riding is great! I would love to here his feedback on the new bike!

Could you imagine if Dungey did bike/ product reviews along the same vein as Keefer? It would be good (although nobody is better than keefer at this)
byke
8/25/2021 10:31am
KurtJ99 wrote:
KTM probably didn't want to offer Dungey what he wanted, whatever that was, for what he was willing to do for KTM post racer. The Honda...
KTM probably didn't want to offer Dungey what he wanted, whatever that was, for what he was willing to do for KTM post racer. The Honda move was both exploratory (for the Geico deal - perhaps he knew it was going to be short lived!) and separating from enough from KTM to have them feel the loss of his brand value.
byke wrote:
He was seeking 2m for one year in his recent comeback attempt. Nobody would pay it for what would essentially amount to a 10th place novelty.
agn5008 wrote:
So guys running around 10th place are novelties?
Absolutely not! That's a terrible inference. It's essentially what a past champ coming out of retirement would be, doesn't matter who it is. It'd just kind of a cool little side story in the sport, a separate path from the others that are endlessly striving to climb the results ladder.
davistld01
8/25/2021 1:12pm
I’d like to see Dungey race Ironman. Bet he’d shock the absolute shit out of a lot of people!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/25/2021 1:26pm
Dungey has made fitness a cornerstone of his life. He has continued to ride. He would be very, very fast in a comeback attempt.
To call him a title threat of any kind, however, is probably stretching it. I'd say he could finish consistently in the top 10, with a couple of podiums if things went well for him and poorly for others. If he won a single moto I'd call that a complete success.

Post a reply to: Dungey back to KTM.

The Latest