Dungey Turning It Up?

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2013 3:32pm
He looked like he was putting the pressure on Villopoto. In 2010, RV threw it away when Dungey was able to pressure him and RV looked like he was having to push it a little harder to keep a comfortable gap. RV also wrecked in Milville (I think) with pressure from Dungey in the outdoors. I hope RV keeps it on two wheels but I want to see RD put the pass on him however he can. I've always said Dungey would turn it up if it got close to the end of the season and he was within reach. I hope I'm right and this wasn't an anomaly.
|
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/18/2013 7:44am
yeah, but last week was the week to make that pass "however he can". If he passed RV it would be an 11 pt gap to Dungey instead RV extended it another 3 points to 17. It would have also been good for Dungey mentally, not that the race wasnt.
WhoopDeeDoo
3/18/2013 7:52am
I hope you are right, as I'm a huge RD fan, but I don't think it will happen. These two are are very evenly matched, but RV is a better starter, and I think whoever gets in front will ultimately win. The races are just too short to play into RD's strength of turning the fast laps at the end of the moto. If I were in a SX fantasy league, my pick would be RV every week.

I think the outdoors is where RD really shines, and this year I think he will have something for RV.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
3/18/2013 8:14am
I hope you are right, as I'm a huge RD fan, but I don't think it will happen. These two are are very evenly matched, but...
I hope you are right, as I'm a huge RD fan, but I don't think it will happen. These two are are very evenly matched, but RV is a better starter, and I think whoever gets in front will ultimately win. The races are just too short to play into RD's strength of turning the fast laps at the end of the moto. If I were in a SX fantasy league, my pick would be RV every week.

I think the outdoors is where RD really shines, and this year I think he will have something for RV.
As a RD fan, it is soooo frustrating to watch him consistently get the jump on RV down the start, and then somehow RV always sneaks past him in the first 2 corners. They are very evenly matched but I think this weekend was good for RD. He came from behind, started around 5th, made some aggressive passes that he has struggled with in the past and pressured RV the whole race.

I was very happy to see him pass Barcia and especially Millsaps the way he did because he usually doesn't push it that hard. It was great to see.
3/18/2013 8:20am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2013 8:23am
I love watching RV and RD race each other, they actually respect each other while having completely different riding styles (and bikes), it's just awesome to watch and analyze. TriRacer27 is right, they are very evenly matched which makes it even better.

Even though they didn't get THAT close at Indy, they were playing cat and mouse all night with each rider being faster at different parts of the track. Like any other race, RD would have been better of just starting in front of RV.

I'm hoping RD can get two wins before Vegas. Or at least one in Minneapolis, with a mistake from RV or DM to keep this close as we approach Vegas, because I completely agree; if Dungey is there and the championship is on the line, he will definitely step to Villopoto in a way he hasn't this season and make him earn that championship bonus.

On the flip side, I have a feeling Dungey will clean up outdoors this year ... even with Stew and RV. I'm too excited for that series to start... I don't usually feel like this until Seattle !

As always, just hope everyone stays healthy and collects those checks at the end of the day Cool

Also, Dungey needs to get a GoPro contract ASAP. I don't understand how someone like him doesn't have one already.

The Shop

peelout
3/18/2013 8:26am
Dungey and Villopoto were ON IT, awesome race.

it's too bad Stewart went down, i think it was shaping up to be a great 3-way battle
ga_pike
3/18/2013 8:29am
peelout wrote:
Dungey and Villopoto were ON IT, awesome race.

it's too bad Stewart went down, i think it was shaping up to be a great 3-way battle
Stewart is the X factor now. If RV had caught Stewart I think Dungey might have come out on top. But I'm not sure JS7 wasn't going to come away with a few second win similar to Atlanta. I really think we need DM18 to get the holeshot and JS7 to be in 2nd followed by RV and RD to have an excellent race battle.
P
3/18/2013 8:46am
This RV isn't the RV of 2010. The only way that RD is going to put pressure on RV is to pass him and run away with it or put a pretty aggressive block pass on him (several). Just running behind him isn't going to put pressure on him. Also, RV was playing catch-up in 2010 and that was pre-Aldon as well. For RD and DV to have a shot at the title they can't keep "playing nice." That's just MHO.

P
bents
Fantasy
710th
3/18/2013 9:23am
That was a great race, another classic between these two. Nice to see the respect afterwards. Dungey was right there if RV made one bobble, but the guy was rock solid. Dungey needs better starts!!! But they were on it hard.
3/18/2013 9:32am
I was looking for something dirty, it would have been fun to see Dungey doing the same thing as RV back in Saint Louis.
IWreckALot
3/18/2013 10:40am
I hope you are right, as I'm a huge RD fan, but I don't think it will happen. These two are are very evenly matched, but...

TriRacer27 wrote:
As a RD fan, it is soooo frustrating to watch him consistently get the jump on RV down the start, and then somehow RV always sneaks...
As a RD fan, it is soooo frustrating to watch him consistently get the jump on RV down the start, and then somehow RV always sneaks past him in the first 2 corners. They are very evenly matched but I think this weekend was good for RD. He came from behind, started around 5th, made some aggressive passes that he has struggled with in the past and pressured RV the whole race.

I was very happy to see him pass Barcia and especially Millsaps the way he did because he usually doesn't push it that hard. It was great to see.
I'm right there with you on the frustration. I just hope he starts progressively inching the aggression up as the series goes on. The scenario he has set up at this point is that if he does run it in on RV, it's probably going to go badly for both since RV probably assumes that Dungey is going to stick to his clean game.

It would be too funny if Dungey went in like a kamikaze and then raced to pick his bike up first and then get ahead of RV that way. I don't ever see that being the case with Dungey though.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/18/2013 11:55am
gotwings wrote:
You seen somethin I haven't???
Yes. Dungey's charging more, and looks faster and more comfortable than he did early in the season...or past years.
Phantom 661
3/18/2013 2:54pm
Oh yes, Dungey is turning it up alright. Both Ryan's hit the supercharger switch in Indy last Saturday. I just love this "Houston... all systems are GO" style of racing. Oh there's that sound theme from the movie "Jaws" again. Woohoo
3/18/2013 3:10pm
I was looking for something dirty, it would have been fun to see Dungey doing the same thing as RV back in Saint Louis.
Yes it would. Although, Karma reacted very quickly that night.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/18/2013 3:14pm
You guys have it right...I was saying the same thing, just do what he did to you. Unfortunately, as big time Dungey fan I dont think I will ever see that happen.
brimx153
3/18/2013 3:44pm
i am an RV fan and all but that was the a pure dirty move , it was to clean RD , cause he was so far behind in the points , thats a side i dont like of him ,
peelout
3/18/2013 3:57pm
brimx153 wrote:
i am an RV fan and all but that was the a pure dirty move , it was to clean RD , cause he was so...
i am an RV fan and all but that was the a pure dirty move , it was to clean RD , cause he was so far behind in the points , thats a side i dont like of him ,
i would t-bone my grandmother if it meant winning, nevermind a fucking 450 supercross championship.
gotwings
3/18/2013 5:23pm
gotwings wrote:
You seen somethin I haven't???
GuyB wrote:
Yes. Dungey's charging more, and looks faster and more comfortable than he did early in the season...or past years.
I guess I missed it. Sorry, didn't realise the situation.
Outsider
3/18/2013 6:08pm
mx 219 wrote:
You guys have it right...I was saying the same thing, just do what he did to you. Unfortunately, as big time Dungey fan I dont think...
You guys have it right...I was saying the same thing, just do what he did to you. Unfortunately, as big time Dungey fan I dont think I will ever see that happen.
Sorry ladies, he's got to get close enough first... Dry
Husqerdo
3/18/2013 6:11pm
brimx153 wrote:
i am an RV fan and all but that was the a pure dirty move , it was to clean RD , cause he was so...
peelout wrote:
i would t-bone my grandmother if it meant winning, nevermind a fucking 450 supercross championship.
Let me guess, your grandmother kicked your ass the same way RD kicked RV's ass. Just a hunch.
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
3/18/2013 6:37pm
It's gonna be a great rest of the season. Villopoto is a smart rider though and I think he knows after this past weekend that he needs to focus more than ever now. I'm pretty sure that Villopoto won't run a pace he isn't comfortable though. When Chad went out last year Villopoto said in a later interview that he knew that if they were both gonna keep up that pace that someone would go down. He was about to let Chad by but than Chad took himself out. Who knows what's gonna happen. But I am excited. We're just getting started.
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
3/18/2013 6:38pm
peelout wrote:
I'm with you on that. It's nothing personal. Just business.
MXR
3/18/2013 6:41pm
2013 SX

RV 6 wins
DM 2 wins
RD 1 win
JB 1 win
JS 1 win
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
3/18/2013 6:44pm
Yeah, Dunge had a good race at Indy, but he's racing for second. RV has all but wrapped up the title. Dungey has nothing for RV when it counts. I wish someone would beat RV or he would have a couple of bad races, but it won't happen.
ocscottie
3/18/2013 6:49pm
I was just check out Cudby's pics that Fox tweeted, check this one out, i found it a rather interesting view. He somehow caught Ryan through another rider, kinda cool.

hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
3/18/2013 6:51pm
Dungey seems to have a problem doing anything on the 1st lap. Especially from turn 1 to like turn 4. Its like he is trying too hard to stay upright and kind of tip toes around until things shake out a bit and usually drops 3 or 4 spots. It seems like unless he the obvious holeshot winner he always comes into turn 3 or 4 in like 5th or 6th place. While he has the speed to match RV he just doesnt have that extreme hang it out agression that RV has, especially on the 1st lap. RV passes an ungodly amount of riders very quickly where as Dungey lets to passes come to him. It works for Dungey in the long run but it doesnt look like a good strategy until RV wads it up.
X-RACER
3/18/2013 7:01pm
RD is about to hit his stride. He can win this championship and just may. Roczon has a championship in the bag and Marvin is comming on strong. This could be another big year for KTM. Didn't they say something about world domination.
Another nail in Honda's coffin Bravo !
TDeath21
3/18/2013 7:03pm
Dungey is definitely turning it up. However, so is Villopoto. No matter how deep the field is, since 2010 it has either been a runaway by a Ryan or a battle of the Ryans till the end, with the exception of Chad Reed in 2011 SX

Post a reply to: Dungey Turning It Up?

The Latest