Dungey? Leatt?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2011 9:19 AM

So I've been searching for anything about him no longer wearing a brace ever since the testing/intro vids were released... Did his deal just expire? If a rider doesn't have a deal, but believes in a piece of equipment, can he run his own? Was he only running one in the past because he was paid to?

I apologize if it's been discussed already and I missed it.

|

10/17/2011 9:23 AM

good question.

my guess is that he got sick of it falling off all season. i'm sure it had some effect on some of his races, flapping around like britney spears in a convertible with no panties.

|

10/17/2011 9:23 AM

Yes
Yes (of course!)
No (definitely not)

Paul

|

10/17/2011 9:26 AM

I thought it only came unlatched that one time? Can't remember which race...

Maybe they'll work out a new deal before A1...

|

10/17/2011 9:37 AM

peelout wrote:

good question.

my guess is that he got sick of it falling off all season. i'm sure it had some effect on some of his races, flapping around like britney spears in a convertible with no panties.

Really? Two laps in one moto is now "all season"?

Pretty short season.

Right about here is where Guy B can enter and post the transcribed version of the interview that he did with Ryan where he asked the burning question that everyone wants to know.

Leatt has had Ryan and 3 of it’s other top riders say straight up that even if they didn’t get paid they would just go out and buy one to wear on their own. The small amount they do get paid is for being a good spokesperson for the company. None of them are going to retire off the money being paid, trust me.

Sick of the lame rumors floating around here and Twitter. If anyone has something meaningful besides guessing and conspiracy theory’s, please post it.

Paul

|

10/17/2011 9:41 AM

peelout wrote:

good question.

paul937 wrote:

Pretty short season.

Right about here is where Guy B can enter and post the transcribed version of the interview that he did with Ryan where he asked the burning question that everyone wants to know.

Leatt has had Ryan and 3 of it’s other top riders say straight up that even if they didn’t get paid they would just go out and buy one to wear on their own. The small amount they do get paid is for being a good spokesperson for the company. None of them are going to retire off the money being paid, trust me.

Sick of the lame rumors floating around here and Twitter. If anyone has something meaningful besides guessing and conspiracy theory’s, please post it.

Paul

That was a question he asked and an opinion, not a rumor. If he stated that the reason he was not wearing it was the deal then it would be rumor. I am sick of people that cannot comprehend what they read in here.

|

10/17/2011 9:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 9:43 AM

pretty sure i remember them talking about it at a couple supercross races, as well as a few nationals.

i apologize if i was wrong and it was "only two laps of one race"

|

10/17/2011 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 9:51 AM

peelout wrote:

good question.

paul937 wrote:

Pretty short season.

Paul

Okay if Leatt has him saying that, on the record, then how come he didn't buy & run one for this race?

I'm just curious, because he's a smart rider, and his opinion on the brace would have some weight in the constant debate to wear one or not.

I wouldn't say peelout was starting a rumor; he clearly stated it was his guess.

|

10/17/2011 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 10:05 AM

yeah, my bad. looked into it some more, i was wrong.

it fell off in the Atlanta SX and Steel City MX.

Paul, i'm a total asshole.

also, i will not be purchasing another Leatt ever again. paid about 400 for mine only to have the buckles fail within a year and Leatt never replace them. after replacing the buckles myself, one race i physically could not un-do the buckles and was stuck with a vice around my neck for over an hour.

|

10/17/2011 9:57 AM

Pretty sure he mentioned it in a recent interview. I forget what he said but it was something along the lines of trying to get more comfortable.

|

www.cheaptearoffs.com

Like us on facebook for weekly sx contests with prizes, discounts, and updates

Cheaptearoffs.com Facebook page

10/17/2011 10:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 10:03 AM

Deetsmx beat me to it. He briefly spoke about it in one of the KTM Meet & Greet vids (I apologize for not finding the link to post to it). Basically to paraphrase, he said it was mainly a matter of comfort that led him to no longer wear one.

|

peelout wrote:

good question.

paul937 wrote:

Pretty short season.

Paul

RedRider31 wrote:

Okay if Leatt has him saying that, on the record, then how come he didn't buy & run one for this race?

I'm just curious, because he's a smart rider, and his opinion on the brace would have some weight in the constant debate to wear one or not.

I wouldn't say peelout was starting a rumor; he clearly stated it was his guess.

for sure he wouldn't stop wearing it because it fell off.

For sure he, and his family and agent, must have thought at one point, especially at the beginning of the Leatt hype "if your rider son doesn't wear it he's going to die", like many fell/believed/agreed.

Can he run something he believes in, even if he has no contract and is not paid? Of course.

Do people change their opinion on things, with time? For sure.

Is he not wearing it because his contract is over and he is waiting for another, better, one? Most probably.
Is he not wearing it because he doesn't believe he needs to wear one? Also most probably.
Is he not wearing one because he is also in negotiation with another neck-protection company? Could be probable too.

Does he totally discredit his use of the Leatt, or his previous interviews about it, by not wearing it for over a month of riding, testing at wide open speeds on whoops at the test-track and racing Vegas? Of course. Totally.

Not sure how much he was paid, but it is at least in the $20K + bonuses.

|

"What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on."

peelout wrote:

good question.

paul937 wrote:

Pretty short season.

Paul

72kiteboarder wrote:

That was a question he asked and an opinion, not a rumor. If he stated that the reason he was not wearing it was the deal then it would be rumor. I am sick of people that cannot comprehend what they read in here.

LOL I’m sorry that I didn’t respond to each post/question individually to be MORE clear to people who “cant comprehend what they read in here” (like you apparently lol).

But you see, the way it works is, you hit the little “quote” button, and it let’s you reply to a post. Now sometimes, you can reply to a post that has been replied to by someone else, so it makes sort of a little conversation where you are actually replying to two posts…….then what you wanna do is use these little breaks in your own reply called “paragraphs”, that way you can just reply to multiple posts/questions (which are conveniently highlighted in little different colored boxes above my reply) with out having to do them individually.

Now sometimes, it gets even more confusing when a person responds to a topic in one thread that has already had similar dialog (I.E. questions, speculations, rumors, etc) as the one he or she is replying to, so they just post their own opinion on the topic in general. Most people can usually decipher the difference and know that the other paragraphs are not directed to the original person they replied to, but rather stating their own opinion (or in this case facts/direct answers) to the topic in general and any previous dialog on it that topic.

Sorry it’s so confusing for you. I’ll try harder to keep up with the class next time. Maybe I can number each individual response....because again, I agree, some people just “can’t comprehend what they read in here”.

Paul

|

10/17/2011 10:05 AM

radialone wrote:

Deetsmx beat me to it. He briefly spoke about it in one of the KTM Meet & Greet vids (I apologize for not finding the link to post to it). Basically to paraphrase, he said it was mainly a matter of comfort that led him to no longer wear one.

I guess I missed that in the vid. Comfort as in "while getting the new bike dialed", or period?

|

10/17/2011 10:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 10:14 AM

peelout wrote:

also, i will not be purchasing another Leatt ever again. paid about 400 for mine only to have the buckles fail within a year and Leatt never replace them. after replacing the buckles myself, one race i physically could not un-do the buckles and was stuck with a vice around my neck for over an hour.

never mind. you answered it. lol

|

10/17/2011 10:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 10:28 AM

paul937 wrote:

LOL I’m sorry that I didn’t respond to each post/question individually to be MORE clear to people who “cant comprehend what they read in here” (like you apparently lol).

But you see, the way it works is, you hit the little “quote” button, and it let’s you reply to a post. Now sometimes, you can reply to a post that has been replied to by someone else, so it makes sort of a little conversation where you are actually replying to two posts…….then what you wanna do is use these little breaks in your own reply called “paragraphs”, that way you can just reply to multiple posts/questions (which are conveniently highlighted in little different colored boxes above my reply) with out having to do them individually.

Now sometimes, it gets even more confusing when a person responds to a topic in one thread that has already had similar dialog (I.E. questions, speculations, rumors, etc) as the one he or she is replying to, so they just post their own opinion on the topic in general. Most people can usually decipher the difference and know that the other paragraphs are not directed to the original person they replied to, but rather stating their own opinion (or in this case facts/direct answers) to the topic in general and any previous dialog on it that topic.

Sorry it’s so confusing for you. I’ll try harder to keep up with the class next time. Maybe I can number each individual response....because again, I agree, some people just “can’t comprehend what they read in here”.

Paul

just a dumb response from me, nothing to see here

|

10/17/2011 10:12 AM

peelout wrote:

You’re right about Atlanta, but not this year’s Atlanta SX. That’s a total of two “incidents” (one from a rock and one was my fault) in 5 seasons wearing the brace. MX is a rough sport where equipment (for bike and body) get abused. I just don’t like it when people exaggerate the facts (but I don’t think you’re an asshole and I’m truly sorry that you had a problem with your Leatt and customer service).

Paul

|

10/17/2011 10:13 AM

lucero10x wrote:

Isn't he allowed to express his opinion and put it out there on a forum like you do? Has he been "always grinding this axe"? Well maybe because he has the same opinion he had before.

How do you know it's bullshit? How do you know that it's not you that some dude with a little bit of knowledge and a silver tongue showered with bullshit one night?? Or you crashed and for sure you know it saved your life because you have the slow-mo video and the telemetry data?

Opinions.... lethal lovers those little opinions...

|

"What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on."

10/17/2011 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2011 10:19 AM

lucero10x wrote:

no angle, just stating my opinion.

like i said, no angle. i don't mean to sound like an asshole in my posts, but i don't feel like it is a reason for me to not state my opinion.

ps... Paul, i sincerely apologize as coming across with an Agenda. sometimes it's easy to point the finger.

|

10/17/2011 10:15 AM

peelout wrote:

lucero10x wrote:

motoplook wrote:

Isn't he allowed to express his opinion and put it out there on a forum like you do? Has he been "always grinding this axe"? Well maybe because he has the same opinion he had before.

How do you know it's bullshit? How do you know that it's not you that some dude with a little bit of knowledge and a silver tongue showered with bullshit one night?? Or you crashed and for sure you know it saved your life because you have the slow-mo video and the telemetry data?

Opinions.... lethal lovers those little opinions...

yeah, he has, actually. didn't mean to delete that whole post, though. But at least I know why he does at this point.

|

10/17/2011 10:17 AM

72kiteboarder wrote:

paul937 wrote:

Paul

peelout wrote:

Ok, you guys are killing me here and now I’m officially late for lunch at school with my 12 year old lol.

Peelout: I wasn’t replying to you in my smart ass remark about the “comprehension of reading a post” (look at the quote box of who I hit reply too!!!!).

Paul

|

10/17/2011 10:20 AM

I was just looking to see if anyone knew of Dungey ever speaking as to why he's no longer wearing it, 'cuz I had not come across anything.

Protection is better than none, most of the time. I just look heavily at the opinion these pros have on the brace because there's no other data out there for us everyday schmos to use; at least data put out by anyone other than the makers of the braces.

|

10/17/2011 10:27 AM

paul937 wrote:

Ok, you guys are killing me here and now I’m officially late for lunch at school with my 12 year old lol.

Peelout: I wasn’t replying to you in my smart ass remark about the “comprehension of reading a post” (look at the quote box of who I hit reply too!!!!).

Paul

no worries Paul, sorry for my initial responses. i don't have an axe to grind, and sometimes i spout off.

|

10/17/2011 10:34 AM

peelout wrote:

paul937 wrote:

Paul

peelout wrote:

no worries Paul, sorry for my initial responses. i don't have an axe to grind, and sometimes i spout off.

My god you two, get a room already...

|

If only those who knew less didn't always think they knew better.

10/17/2011 10:37 AM

hey Paul just curious for full disclosure............what is your position with Leatt??

|

10/17/2011 10:39 AM

radialone wrote:

RedRider31 wrote:

I guess I missed that in the vid. Comfort as in "while getting the new bike dialed", or period?

Sounded like comfort period. He was kind of vague, talking about how each rider has to make a choice for themselves....etc. I also saw someone post on here after speaking with his dad & say that he was just trying it without to see how he liked it. If you think about it, he's been riding with one for a few years now & he seems to be a creature of habit as far as his program goes. So I think with the switch in teams this year, he maybe just started looking at stuff he had the opportunity to mess around with & perhaps he found that at this point he actually likes it without.

|

10/17/2011 10:39 AM

Dungeys dad told me two weeks ago, that Ryan was just trying it for awhile without. Looking to see if he's more comfortable without it.

Didn't sound like Troy was all that excited about him not wearing it. He also said Ryan doesn't wear a chest protector and that he wished He'd wear them both.

|

" Passion is a beautiful thing until you're blinded by it "

10/17/2011 10:41 AM

Right on. Thanks guys.

|

10/17/2011 11:24 AM

paul937 wrote:

Pretty short season.

Paul

RedRider31 wrote:

motoplook wrote:

for sure he wouldn't stop wearing it because it fell off.

For sure he, and his family and agent, must have thought at one point, especially at the beginning of the Leatt hype "if your rider son doesn't wear it he's going to die", like many fell/believed/agreed.

Can he run something he believes in, even if he has no contract and is not paid? Of course.

Do people change their opinion on things, with time? For sure.

Is he not wearing it because his contract is over and he is waiting for another, better, one? Most probably.
Is he not wearing it because he doesn't believe he needs to wear one? Also most probably.
Is he not wearing one because he is also in negotiation with another neck-protection company? Could be probable too.

Does he totally discredit his use of the Leatt, or his previous interviews about it, by not wearing it for over a month of riding, testing at wide open speeds on whoops at the test-track and racing Vegas? Of course. Totally.

Not sure how much he was paid, but it is at least in the $20K + bonuses.

Bingo!
|

10/17/2011 11:29 AM

peely....just shut up man...

|