Dungey: "I’m KTM for life."

twotwosix
I was reading the RacerX interview with Dungey today and I was thinking about how little he has had off in recent years. I bet he REALLY did enjoy resting from that neck injury. Having part of this summer off will probably pay big dividends these coming years as he tries to go for 3 or 4 SX titles. Even Tomac still sounds bummed that he didn't get more time off this summer. I believe him when he says it was a blessing in disguise. He seems happy at KTM and he probably will retire there. Hopefully he sticks around longer than RV did.

http://racerxonline.com/2016/12/12/monday-conversation-ryan-dungey

@RacerX: So you feel refreshed coming back in with the summer off?

"Yeah. It’s good. Both physically I feel like the body’s adapting and mentally just being able to get a little bit of a break. It’s a tall load but it’s no excuse. Over the years, even with the physical side, I’ve pushed myself further than I probably should at times, unknowingly. But through trial and error you learn. It’s good. I hadn’t had two months to let my body heal like that in a long time, in ways that I probably don’t even know how. But it was good as we were healing up not to have any side effects from the neck injury or anything. I was able to heal it and not rush back into it and take my time getting ready for this season."

|
kiwifan
12/12/2016 10:10am
Yup absolutely no surprises there at all, I think what will be interesting at KTM is how long Roger is there...I think when he goes they lose a LOT.
twotwosix
12/12/2016 10:41am
kiwifan wrote:
Yup absolutely no surprises there at all, I think what will be interesting at KTM is how long Roger is there...I think when he goes they...
Yup absolutely no surprises there at all, I think what will be interesting at KTM is how long Roger is there...I think when he goes they lose a LOT.
Suzuki should have never let him go. I know they struggled for a bit, but that was a huge loss.
jonesaustin
12/12/2016 10:46am
My guess is Dungey's being groomed for KTM corporate as soon as he retires. I suspect he'll transition into this new role the same year DeCoster retires.
JAFO92
12/12/2016 10:47am
twotwosix wrote:
Suzuki should have never let him go. I know they struggled for a bit, but that was a huge loss.
As I understand it, it was Suzuki-America that dropped the ball and let Roger walk. Japan was not happy when they found out The Man was let go over what amounts to mere peanuts.

The Shop

davistld01
12/12/2016 11:04am
My guess is Dungey's being groomed for KTM corporate as soon as he retires. I suspect he'll transition into this new role the same year DeCoster...
My guess is Dungey's being groomed for KTM corporate as soon as he retires. I suspect he'll transition into this new role the same year DeCoster retires.
That's precisely what I think as well. Ryan will step into the DeCoster role as soon as Roger leaves. I wouldn't be suprised if Roger was busy mentoring Ryan for that transition now.
kiwifan
12/12/2016 11:15am
My guess is Dungey's being groomed for KTM corporate as soon as he retires. I suspect he'll transition into this new role the same year DeCoster...
davistld01 wrote:
That's precisely what I think as well. Ryan will step into the DeCoster role as soon as Roger leaves. I wouldn't be suprised if Roger was...
That's precisely what I think as well. Ryan will step into the DeCoster role as soon as Roger leaves. I wouldn't be suprised if Roger was busy mentoring Ryan for that transition now.
Yes, I agree too
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
12/12/2016 11:17am
That was clever, not saying he is racing in 2018 and beyond. Just said he is KTM for life.
MM52913
12/12/2016 11:28am
kiwifan wrote:
Yup absolutely no surprises there at all, I think what will be interesting at KTM is how long Roger is there...I think when he goes they...
I seem to remember Jamie Little interviewing Roger last year. She asked him about retirement and he said "Ill be here as long as Ryan is here" or something of the nature.
IWreckALot
12/12/2016 11:29am
I don't think he will step into Roger's role immediately. There's no way he's amassed the knowledge to effectively manage that kind of role. But I do think he will be around in some capacity and will decide later if he wants to move to that route.
jasonward73
12/12/2016 11:36am
I don't think Dungey has the technical knowledge in his whole body that Roger has in his little pinky toe. I don't see how Dungey has the skill set to do what Roger does. Numerous people comment that Roger's biggest contribution is his ability to actually create/modify/perfect parts for the bike... Not his ability to manage people and inspire riders to do the best they can. Dungey has also been noted as not the best rider at setup. Total opposite of what Roger's strength is.

Dungey as a brand ambassador for KTM.... That seems like the perfect fit. Doing something like what Andrew Short is doing with Honda. I don't see RD5 wanting the headache or time needed to run an entire team. If I was him, I wouldn't.

Or maybe I am crazy?
kkawboy14
12/12/2016 11:38am
I don't think Dungey has the technical knowledge in his whole body that Roger has in his little pinky toe. I don't see how Dungey has...
I don't think Dungey has the technical knowledge in his whole body that Roger has in his little pinky toe. I don't see how Dungey has the skill set to do what Roger does. Numerous people comment that Roger's biggest contribution is his ability to actually create/modify/perfect parts for the bike... Not his ability to manage people and inspire riders to do the best they can. Dungey has also been noted as not the best rider at setup. Total opposite of what Roger's strength is.

Dungey as a brand ambassador for KTM.... That seems like the perfect fit. Doing something like what Andrew Short is doing with Honda. I don't see RD5 wanting the headache or time needed to run an entire team. If I was him, I wouldn't.

Or maybe I am crazy?
Your crazy! Smile

Dungey seems to have the personality to do whatever he puts his mind to doing.
TXDirt
12/12/2016 11:40am
I don't think Dungey has the technical knowledge in his whole body that Roger has in his little pinky toe. I don't see how Dungey has...

Or maybe I am crazy?
I think this is pretty accurate. I find it pretty hard to believe that Dungey will want to transition to a job the requires the same if not more hours of work, and includes the same, if not more intense travel schedule. He's already been traveling around race to race since he was 10 years old.
kkawboy14
12/12/2016 11:43am

Or maybe I am crazy?
TXDirt wrote:
I think this is pretty accurate. I find it pretty hard to believe that Dungey will want to transition to a job the requires the same...
I think this is pretty accurate. I find it pretty hard to believe that Dungey will want to transition to a job the requires the same if not more hours of work, and includes the same, if not more intense travel schedule. He's already been traveling around race to race since he was 10 years old.
Decoster wanted to do it, why wouldn't Dungey?
Nobody retires and does nothing.
DonM
12/12/2016 11:44am
You will more than likely see Ian step up when Roger retires....For Ryan? I see a brand ambassador role in his future....
DonM
12/12/2016 11:46am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 11:47am
Or maybe Ryan Morias....
MelonFan123
12/12/2016 12:28pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Probably because in his riding days Decoster wasn't making the equivalent of $5MM + per year.

Dungey is set for life. Stepping in to a team manager role and working year round and traveling to the races, does not seem likely.

Staying involved in the sport as an ambassador/sponsored guy while he settles down in MN seems more reasonable. There was a special on him (i think during one of the SX broadcasts last year) where they visited him on a lake in MN where he and his wife had waterfront property. He mentioned their plan to build a dream home post racing career.
12/12/2016 12:52pm

Or maybe I am crazy?
I agree with you. I don't see Ryan Dungey standing in a machine shop/engineering stuff. When Roger retires there are some big shoes to be filled.
Deek22
12/12/2016 1:04pm
I agree with you. I don't see Ryan Dungey standing in a machine shop/engineering stuff. When Roger retires there are some big shoes to be filled.
Could you see Rodger standing behind Dungey on a manual lathe making washers.
jasonward73
12/12/2016 1:21pm

Or maybe I am crazy?
TXDirt wrote:
I think this is pretty accurate. I find it pretty hard to believe that Dungey will want to transition to a job the requires the same...
kkawboy14 wrote:
Please tell me where I said he would retire and do nothing... I simply said I see him more as a brand ambassador kind of guy. Just seems to fit his personality and ambitions more. Not that I personally know him or anything. That is just my best guesstimate off what I see in interviews and what peoples about him that do know him very well.

kkawboy14
12/12/2016 1:30pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Probably because in his riding days Decoster wasn't making the equivalent of $5MM + per year. Dungey is set for life. Stepping in to a team...
Probably because in his riding days Decoster wasn't making the equivalent of $5MM + per year.

Dungey is set for life. Stepping in to a team manager role and working year round and traveling to the races, does not seem likely.

Staying involved in the sport as an ambassador/sponsored guy while he settles down in MN seems more reasonable. There was a special on him (i think during one of the SX broadcasts last year) where they visited him on a lake in MN where he and his wife had waterfront property. He mentioned their plan to build a dream home post racing career.
Good point!
TXDirt
12/12/2016 2:09pm
Perhaps when Decoster retires KTM throws some money at Mike Larocco to bring him on as team manager? He's done a pretty good job over at geico Honda team.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/12/2016 2:17pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Bingo Cool
Crush
12/12/2016 2:50pm
This comment gets bandied about a bit, always weird to me. There is nothing to suggest he is being groomed for that role and they have Ryan Morais, Casey Lytle and Mike Sleeter as ex US based racers already in those positions and a litany of senior dudes like Harrison who have been there since Roger jumped.

Dungey is a great rider, and a great role model, but he's only been focused on riding and racing. He's hardly been forced to do every PR event imaginable for team pumpkin
davistld01
12/12/2016 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 2:58pm

Or maybe I am crazy?
DeCoster was ultra-important for KTM to have onboard as a new, untested machine was basically being built for, and around their new rider Ryan Dungey. Roger was able to use his technical skills along with his experience as a Championship racer to basically translate what Ryan said he wanted into parts for and modifications to their existing 450 machine quicker than those could have been realized if they had waited on the factory in Austria to produce them. Roger, in my mind had as much to do with KTM's success in the US market as Ryan Dungey. So...in that area, Roger's will be impossible shoes to fill. KTM won't find another guy like Roger who has the mixture of being a multi-time World Champion, along with technical prowess and a high level of education to boot.

But...that being said, I don't believe KTM has the same need for a guy like Roger now. The team is rolling with a full head of steam. They have an amazing level of R&D, and a group of guys who are good at telling their techs what they like in a bike, and technical staff who know how to set a bike up for each riders style and on-track personality. The only team that has the same level of professionalism right now would probably be Honda. To my way of thinking...Ryan Dungey could come in, with his personal level of integrity and work ethic along with the experience he has gleaned along the way, and be a huge benefit to the riders on the team.

I think Ryan Dungey would be a major asset to Team RedBull KTM as a team manager.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
12/12/2016 3:20pm
Dungey WILL NOT take over for Roger, not sure why people think that. Guys gearing up for a management job in Socal don't build big news houses in Bel Plain Minnesota. His wife wants a family and is over traveling and I heard a rumor that Ryan will join his brother in business.

Those of you who think KTM will drop off after roger need to learn the name Ian Harrison. He's been by Roger's side for 20 years and is real man behind the bike at KTM and Decosters right hand that will take over after Roger is gone..

DonM
12/12/2016 3:31pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Dungey WILL NOT take over for Roger, not sure why people think that. Guys gearing up for a management job in Socal don't build big news...
Dungey WILL NOT take over for Roger, not sure why people think that. Guys gearing up for a management job in Socal don't build big news houses in Bel Plain Minnesota. His wife wants a family and is over traveling and I heard a rumor that Ryan will join his brother in business.

Those of you who think KTM will drop off after roger need to learn the name Ian Harrison. He's been by Roger's side for 20 years and is real man behind the bike at KTM and Decosters right hand that will take over after Roger is gone..

Yep...What I said...but nobody wants to hear that...

Post a reply to: Dungey: "I’m KTM for life."

The Latest