Dungey Documentary

drt410
5/8/2018 3:42pm
So i just watched this again and did anyone else think it was disengenuous how they completely left out the 4 straight years villopoto beat him in a row. It was a good story and was actually set up for it pretty well and then they just skipped it. It started out showing how he was a B class rider and his grandma died so he rode like a bat out of hell then smoked everyone to get a factory ride. He then told Roger hes going to ride for him and be a champion and he was like okay kid. So he goes out and does very well on the 250 then jumps up to 450s and wins his first race and wins the title his first year in sx. Sounds like they were setting it up to say but then after proving everyone wrong and everything going perfect after turning pro after a tough rookie career he had another setback as Villopoto was just coming in to his prime and became a huge problem for everybody. So he gets beat 4 straight years and it looks like that first championship was possibly a fluke but he goes and joins up with Decoster again at Ktm and then rips off 3 more in a row once again triumphing and retiring to the top as the champ and one of the best riders ever.

Instead it just says hes a B class rider who wins on the 250 as a pro then moves up to 450s wins his first race, the championship, then continues on and wins 3 more championships and retires on top. Not only is that not really how it happened but they literally left everything about Villopoto out.

Just say that once he got to the pros he immediately proved he deserved to be there, but then the second year in the 450s the perfect story hit a bump in the road and he once again had to prove himself after Villopoto started ripping off championships. He ultimately did come back and proved it and then retired on top. Not only is the truth...true, but its even a better story than the fabricated one they made. Who do they think is watching this? Were not just going to completely forget that Ryan Villopoto existed and went on one of the greatest runs in history. Then Dunge was able to come back and go on his own run. Just tell the truth its not a knock on Dungey and Imo even makes the story better.

People forget about that period I think because of how Dungeys end of his career was. For a while though he was not the Mr. Consistent champion who doesnt get worse than 4th on the way to win the championship. He was just one of the many riders who would finish on the podium behind Villopoto. That lasted years until Villopoto retired and he was able to again regain his position at the top.
|
bodean123
Fantasy
1987th
5/8/2018 3:43pm
Watch the extended interviews bro.
peelout
5/8/2018 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2018 3:47pm
bodean123 wrote:
Watch the extended interviews bro.
damn bro, those are some tasty sprocket bolts. what's the torque spec for those beaut's?
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
5/8/2018 4:28pm
Lost me at disingenuous, plus my attention span is only a few sentences.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
5/8/2018 6:21pm
I thought it was pretty well done
It's not supposed to be about Villopoto ,
I guess they could have gave an honorable mention
About Villlopoto
As a tough competitor
But again it wasnt a it villopoto

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
5/8/2018 6:59pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I thought it was pretty well done It's not supposed to be about Villopoto , I guess they could have gave an honorable mention About Villlopoto...
About Villlopoto
As a tough competitor
BINGO
5/8/2018 7:54pm
Sounds like somebody is a huge Villo fan and feels slighted that he wasn't getting any props in the video.
To say that during the 4 years that Villo got the championships that Dungey was "just one of the many riders who would finish on the podium behind Villopoto" is inaccurate. Dungey was a perennial front runner who battled for wins. Reed and Millsaps had some good years but Dungey was always there trying to keep RV honest.

Having said all that, I am a huge Dungey fan who feels slighted that you aren't giving him his props. Wink
akillerwombat
5/8/2018 7:57pm
Adding more about Villopoto would have made the piece feel like when RC talks about how Reed is an all time legend... that he had no problem beating.

They touched on it, fans know what's up, but it's about Dungey and his accomplishments... not his shortcomings.
Phantom 661
5/8/2018 8:40pm
I pretty much agreed with your assessment until you stated that RD "was just one of the many riders that finished on the podium behind Poto." Really?Yeah, RV put a beat down on RD four years straight. However, I remember Dungey pretty much handling anybody else not named Villopoto. He did have a year where he was angry Dunge ect. Probably drove him crazy coming in 2nd most the time. Nobody that's been watching for the last 8 years is going to forget what Villopoto accomplished. Dudes a legend!
ledger
5/8/2018 8:52pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I thought it was pretty well done It's not supposed to be about Villopoto , I guess they could have gave an honorable mention About Villlopoto...
About Villlopoto
As a tough competitor
langhammx wrote:
BINGO
Affirmative.
dirtnapper
5/8/2018 9:04pm
And although RV did win a bunch in a row he didn't really just start " ripping off championships" like he was in a league of his own. I think its safe to say Dungey got screwed out of a championship or two due to mechanical failures......

That's NOT saying RV gets an asterix on those titles. He won them for sure.

But I just think those two were more evenly matched then your post is suggesting.
Turbojez
5/9/2018 3:31am
dirtnapper wrote:
And although RV did win a bunch in a row he didn't really just start " ripping off championships" like he was in a league of...
And although RV did win a bunch in a row he didn't really just start " ripping off championships" like he was in a league of his own. I think its safe to say Dungey got screwed out of a championship or two due to mechanical failures......

That's NOT saying RV gets an asterix on those titles. He won them for sure.

But I just think those two were more evenly matched then your post is suggesting.
Agree with your words and glad you mentioned it, I think it was 2 titles lost due to a mechanical.

Villopoto was a beast, so was Dungey.
tobz
5/9/2018 3:43am
There's a Dungey documentary? I bet it's riveting...
downard254
5/9/2018 4:38am
According to some of the RV interviews, he seems to have thought Dungey was more of a bad ass than a lot of Vitards do. I think I’ll go with RV’s assessment.
IWreckALot
5/9/2018 6:30am
Sounds like somebody is a huge Villo fan and feels slighted that he wasn't getting any props in the video. To say that during the 4...
Sounds like somebody is a huge Villo fan and feels slighted that he wasn't getting any props in the video.
To say that during the 4 years that Villo got the championships that Dungey was "just one of the many riders who would finish on the podium behind Villopoto" is inaccurate. Dungey was a perennial front runner who battled for wins. Reed and Millsaps had some good years but Dungey was always there trying to keep RV honest.

Having said all that, I am a huge Dungey fan who feels slighted that you aren't giving him his props. Wink
RV had several bizarre fans. Never gave credit to Dungey even when he had RV's number. I appreciated both guys. But I would catch myself rooting for Dungey to beat RV just to watch them meltdown and make excuses and add asterisks. Seems like the guys who go ride for Kawi sell their sole to the devil. RV was burnt out and not very personable when he was in the spotlight. Tomac seems to not smile very often either.

RV's fans have seemingly moved on to Tomac.
peelout
5/9/2018 8:04am
IWreckALot wrote:
RV had several bizarre fans. Never gave credit to Dungey even when he had RV's number. I appreciated both guys. But I would catch myself rooting...
RV had several bizarre fans. Never gave credit to Dungey even when he had RV's number. I appreciated both guys. But I would catch myself rooting for Dungey to beat RV just to watch them meltdown and make excuses and add asterisks. Seems like the guys who go ride for Kawi sell their sole to the devil. RV was burnt out and not very personable when he was in the spotlight. Tomac seems to not smile very often either.

RV's fans have seemingly moved on to Tomac

not all of us have, bro
drt410
5/9/2018 11:19am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 11:20am
I wasnt saying to make the documentary about RV. I was saying those 4 years happened in the middle of Dungeys career whether you like RV or not and they could have framed it like he had a set back for a few years after winning right away, a couple mechanicals that cost him etc... and then regrouped to get back to the top and win 3 straight. He had immediate success when he went pro, but then had 4 years immediately after where for whatever reason he didnt win. Thats a part of his story, sorry. I just thought it was weird how they made it seem like he went pro won everything then retired. Thats not how it happened. Dungeys an amazing rider with an amazing career but thats not what happened.
hamncheeze
5/9/2018 11:28am
In 2012-2015 RV pretty much owned Dungey, when RV was healthy.. Anyone wanting to dispute that should just go look at the RacerX Vault and the results. I'm sure part of that was Dungey going to KTM and having to develop a bike that was not as good, especially for SX. And part of it was how 2011 ended, with RV owning Dungey at the end of outdoors to snatch the title away. Steel City 2011 set the tone for the next few years.

I do agree the documentary does gloss over the RV years a bit. They could have easily did a minute or two talking about how RV "stepped up the game" and Ryan struggled to match him. It would have made 2015 seem all that more sensational.
Donovan759
5/9/2018 11:41am
Yeah, maybe they should have included all of the difficult things he had to deal with in life. He wasn't too pumped about that nude photoshoot & video he did for ESPN. That had potential to knock his mental toughness down a few pegs.
mxpro252
5/9/2018 12:03pm
Sounds like somebody is a huge Villo fan and feels slighted that he wasn't getting any props in the video. To say that during the 4...

IWreckALot wrote:
RV had several bizarre fans. Never gave credit to Dungey even when he had RV's number. I appreciated both guys. But I would catch myself rooting...

I have! I liked RV because he was a local guy and had a personality, even though you could only catch occasional glimpses of it. But I didn’t start liking Tomac till those first few outdoor races of the season he blew out his shoulders. The stuff he was doing on the bike was unreal. Since then it’s been fun to watch the days when he’s on.

Post a reply to: Dungey Documentary

The Latest