Dumping Dish/DirecTV/Cable

RandyS
I've wanted to dump Dish since they pulled MavTV but the only alternative was DirecTV which I had dumped years ago for the same reason. So I started looking at alternatives. I dumped Dish, almost got SlingTV until I found out it's owned by Dish. I went out and bought a $40 Amazon Fire TV stick and got Playstation Vue for $30 a month. Virtually everything we watched with our $110 a month Dish account is on PS Vue for $30. In addition I have easy access to my Amazon Prime and Netfilx accounts. I'm usually pretty up on technology but I'm totally in shock at what I've been missing and how many months I've thrown away $80 on the company that has done nothing but take away channels. As a NBC Sports subscriber the Fire TV Stick also gives easy access to NBC Sports Extra where I just watched Spring Creek practice directly on my TV, as opposed to sitting at the computer or holding a tablet. The moto one feed which was taken from my $110 a month payment by Dish is also on live and what looks to be Moto two live(both classes are delayed today). If you're like me and have just been paying Dish, DirecTV, or cable because that's what you've always done look into cutting the cord. Here's the story I read when I was looking, http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv/
|
goinrcn44h
Fantasy
788th
7/16/2016 10:36am
I'd suggest the fire tv box. it has an actual processor in it and is faster and more stable. side load kodi onto it and you will be set. I still have directv as I haven't fully committed to the swap over yet, but it is coming. before long dishes will go the way of the corded or home phone service.
RandyS
7/16/2016 10:49am
goinrcn44h wrote:
I'd suggest the fire tv box. it has an actual processor in it and is faster and more stable. side load kodi onto it and you...
I'd suggest the fire tv box. it has an actual processor in it and is faster and more stable. side load kodi onto it and you will be set. I still have directv as I haven't fully committed to the swap over yet, but it is coming. before long dishes will go the way of the corded or home phone service.
I figured I'd go the cheapest way to start, I need one for the bedroom and garage anyway. I'll check it out.
bvm111
7/16/2016 11:02am
I still use Apple TV ... It has the NBC sports link on it and watch practice and the first motos in the master bedroom. I have no way of watching the second motos until Sunday morning when they post them on ProMX.com, been working so far!
RUTCITY
7/16/2016 11:14am
Just go out and buy a google Chromecast.

Then download the nbcsports app.

Then stream the app directly from your phone onto your TV. All four motos live.

Just keep your internet provider so you can use wifi to steam.

The Shop

JRT812
7/16/2016 11:20am
I dumped cable, but sometimes I miss it. I can watch everything I want through live stream, but sometimes it has issues.... like right now. I am watching the race but there is no sound for some reason. I guess better than nothing
7/16/2016 11:45am
Great thread.. Just got my Fire Stick today; I've got the fire box on the way too. Ready to tell Time Warner Cable to shove their $160/mo billing up their ass. Unfortunately I think I'll be sticking with them for internet provider though... Pretty sure my current internet speed is the 50mbps one; will I need to upgrade to a faster speed so as to not have to deal with buffering and what not
JRT812
7/16/2016 11:50am
Great thread.. Just got my Fire Stick today; I've got the fire box on the way too. Ready to tell Time Warner Cable to shove their...
Great thread.. Just got my Fire Stick today; I've got the fire box on the way too. Ready to tell Time Warner Cable to shove their $160/mo billing up their ass. Unfortunately I think I'll be sticking with them for internet provider though... Pretty sure my current internet speed is the 50mbps one; will I need to upgrade to a faster speed so as to not have to deal with buffering and what not
Get the fastest you can afford especially if you multiple people online at the same time.
logan_140
7/16/2016 2:02pm
PlayStation vue is all I have. And Hulu,Netflix
Lightning78
7/16/2016 2:10pm
goinrcn44h wrote:
I'd suggest the fire tv box. it has an actual processor in it and is faster and more stable. side load kodi onto it and you...
RandyS wrote:
I figured I'd go the cheapest way to start, I need one for the bedroom and garage anyway. I'll check it out.
If you're even halfway decent with technology look into the raspberry pi 3B it's a new one has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi built-in you install everything on a microSD card and then it comes with Kodi as part of the installation it's bitchin and I've been using mine for a while and I have everything it's just as fast as a firebox and it has a lot more features Plus you can also turn into a retro gaming console for just about every system out there are using emulators and ROMs which is my next step or I might get a second one and they're pretty cheap two $30-$40 for the pi circuit board itself and then you buy a case and your set Plus you always have the option of superhigh customization which is really fun and Allows you to adapt to changing set ups with the streaming services that are going on and constantly changing these days
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/16/2016 2:11pm
I have AppleTV in my livng room and can mirror my iPad for some things, but I bought 2- StreamSmart boxes and leave one in my family room and the other is mobile. I bought the Channel Up app for live TV channels and get all network channels al g with HBO/ SHOWTIME/ Eyc. ($40 per box, one time fee)
The box gets ALL PPV showings, including UFC fights and has AMA Pro APP for ALL AMA events (SX/ MX/ ROAD/ Dirt track/ etc) watching it live on my tv today with the app.
You can also watch ANY Feature film, including movies that are currently in theatres right now.
IceMan446
7/16/2016 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2016 3:23pm
langhammx wrote:
I have AppleTV in my livng room and can mirror my iPad for some things, but I bought 2- StreamSmart boxes and leave one in my...
I have AppleTV in my livng room and can mirror my iPad for some things, but I bought 2- StreamSmart boxes and leave one in my family room and the other is mobile. I bought the Channel Up app for live TV channels and get all network channels al g with HBO/ SHOWTIME/ Eyc. ($40 per box, one time fee)
The box gets ALL PPV showings, including UFC fights and has AMA Pro APP for ALL AMA events (SX/ MX/ ROAD/ Dirt track/ etc) watching it live on my tv today with the app.
You can also watch ANY Feature film, including movies that are currently in theatres right now.
Damn that's the setup!

Is that an app for the AppleTV?
SEE ARE125
7/16/2016 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2016 4:34pm
Can you watch the live local news with any of these setups?
Give me your local tv provider and I'll check. I know it's ABC/NBC/CBS, but I need the local code that starts with a W or K and has 4 letters.
downard254
7/16/2016 4:59pm
Great thread.. Just got my Fire Stick today; I've got the fire box on the way too. Ready to tell Time Warner Cable to shove their...
50 Mbps, lucky bastard. I'm stuck with Frontier DSL and it only runs about 2 Mbps, and I have kids gaming on the Xbox. Im screwed.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/16/2016 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2016 5:14pm
langhammx wrote:
I have AppleTV in my livng room and can mirror my iPad for some things, but I bought 2- StreamSmart boxes and leave one in my...
IceMan446 wrote:
Damn that's the setup!

Is that an app for the AppleTV?
That is exactly what I was thinking. The way I read it is the Channel Up app works to get the channels on the apple tv. Is that right? Do you have to have apple tv to get the StreamSmart boxes?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/16/2016 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2016 5:17pm
Yes.

Box-
www.thorstream.com

Channel up app needs to be purchased for Live network channels

RandyS
7/16/2016 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2016 8:46pm
downard254 wrote:
50 Mbps, lucky bastard. I'm stuck with Frontier DSL and it only runs about 2 Mbps, and I have kids gaming on the Xbox. Im screwed.
Our only option is wireless, we pay $69.95 a month with no cap. With the current system in our area 8mbps is the best we can get, we're at 5 now and with the firestick running one stream and the X Box running Netflix, 2 cell phones and 2 computers on the router we haven't had any buffering issues. I'm not going to up the cost another $20 if I don't need to, as of now I see no need.
7/16/2016 9:34pm
So, fire stick, Roku, or Apple TV, any DVR options with these?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/16/2016 9:56pm
1911 wrote:
No need for a DVR, you can watch whatever you want, anytime you want.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/16/2016 9:59pm
downard254 wrote:
RandyS wrote:
Our only option is wireless, we pay $69.95 a month with no cap. With the current system in our area 8mbps is the best we can...
Our only option is wireless, we pay $69.95 a month with no cap. With the current system in our area 8mbps is the best we can get, we're at 5 now and with the firestick running one stream and the X Box running Netflix, 2 cell phones and 2 computers on the router we haven't had any buffering issues. I'm not going to up the cost another $20 if I don't need to, as of now I see no need.
I had to upgrade mine, the movies or long videos would buffer too much to be able to enjoy it. Same thing with the UFC fights.
cali11
7/16/2016 10:07pm
RUTCITY wrote:
Just go out and buy a google Chromecast. Then download the nbcsports app. Then stream the app directly from your phone onto your TV. All four...
Just go out and buy a google Chromecast.

Then download the nbcsports app.

Then stream the app directly from your phone onto your TV. All four motos live.

Just keep your internet provider so you can use wifi to steam.
Sorry but Chromecast is shit! Firestick/firetv box is 10 times better. I'm waiting on my contract to run out on direct then I'm going to cut the cord also!
Jack mehoff
7/16/2016 10:09pm
RandyS wrote:
I've wanted to dump Dish since they pulled MavTV but the only alternative was DirecTV which I had dumped years ago for the same reason. So...
I've wanted to dump Dish since they pulled MavTV but the only alternative was DirecTV which I had dumped years ago for the same reason. So I started looking at alternatives. I dumped Dish, almost got SlingTV until I found out it's owned by Dish. I went out and bought a $40 Amazon Fire TV stick and got Playstation Vue for $30 a month. Virtually everything we watched with our $110 a month Dish account is on PS Vue for $30. In addition I have easy access to my Amazon Prime and Netfilx accounts. I'm usually pretty up on technology but I'm totally in shock at what I've been missing and how many months I've thrown away $80 on the company that has done nothing but take away channels. As a NBC Sports subscriber the Fire TV Stick also gives easy access to NBC Sports Extra where I just watched Spring Creek practice directly on my TV, as opposed to sitting at the computer or holding a tablet. The moto one feed which was taken from my $110 a month payment by Dish is also on live and what looks to be Moto two live(both classes are delayed today). If you're like me and have just been paying Dish, DirecTV, or cable because that's what you've always done look into cutting the cord. Here's the story I read when I was looking, http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv/
Get on the electronic s section off Craigslist and get a jail broke Amazon fire it gets way better
IceMan446
7/16/2016 10:11pm
RandyS wrote:
I've wanted to dump Dish since they pulled MavTV but the only alternative was DirecTV which I had dumped years ago for the same reason. So...
Get on the electronic s section off Craigslist and get a jail broke Amazon fire it gets way better
Same goes for the jail broken Apple TV.
Jack mehoff
7/16/2016 10:13pm
1911 wrote:
No but you can fine what ever you want when you want it if you look hard enough on roku or Amazon Apple tv sucks to locked down , think off amazon and roku off the Wild Wild west off tv
cali11
7/16/2016 10:14pm
downard254 wrote:
I'm getting like 250 Mbps but still have buffing issue with firestick now and then. Depends what the uploader is pushing.

7/16/2016 10:15pm
langhammx wrote:
No need for a DVR, you can watch whatever you want, anytime you want.
Thanks, are there commercials? DVR lets me fast forward through those.
nytsmaC
7/16/2016 10:16pm
langhammx wrote:
Yes.

Box-
www.thorstream.com

Channel up app needs to be purchased for Live network channels

I bought one based on your suggestion, love it! No more $110/month Satellite TV for me.
MotoX85
7/18/2016 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2016 12:11pm
I just switched to DirecTV from Dish Network, they have went shit, that I've been with for 10 years. The only problem with switching to anything else is we race every weekend and need the races recorded, we never watch live
cali11
7/18/2016 12:15pm
MotoX85 wrote:
I just switched to DirecTV from Dish Network, they have went shit, that I've been with for 10 years. The only problem with switching to anything...
I just switched to DirecTV from Dish Network, they have went shit, that I've been with for 10 years. The only problem with switching to anything else is we race every weekend and need the races recorded, we never watch live
I had dish for about 10yrs also. I was at ATT store getting new cell phone and they made me a good deal to switch to direct tv. Unlimited talk & Data on my cell phones(if you have direct tv)also. You have to do a two year contract.

Post a reply to: Dumping Dish/DirecTV/Cable

The Latest